Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Anyone On Depakote?

Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
I have been on most of the meds out there and now i'm on depakote ...I just want to hear feed back on this drug from anyone who's been it or is on it.........It's a good one in the sense it works good for not having seizures, but is anyone on depakote having skin problems since starting it...I don't know if this is a side effect or if it's something else entirely.........Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 2nd, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Omg! I was on depakode a long time ago and my hair fell out too! Plus I slept all day, gained a bunch of weight, couldn't concentrate and felt like crap.
|

Experienced User
Thx For the Reply...
I just stopped taking depokote....It was good in the beginning and then I got a rash on my face, the doctors are still trying to figure out if it's from the depokate and my hair was falling out like crazy and it's still falling out, but it's only been a few days since I stopped taking it....I hope my hair gets back to normal real soon. Now i'm taking "gabitril"..Does anyone have any comments about this drug???
|

It's Not All Bad
I just want to add than even though depakote can have horrible side effects (i've experienced plenty of weight gain and hair loss myself), it is a very effective med for many people. I've tried almost every aed out there over many years, with all sorts of horrible side effects, and i've always ended up back on depakote. It's just the only thing that helps me. I did recently discover keppra though, which also seems to be effective (except it makes me a little shaky and dizzy). It's all a compromise; you just have to find the med (or med combo) that's best for you personally. For me it's depakote, lamictal, and keppra.
|