Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Fitness Forum

Abs (Page 1)

Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
I just cant build up my abs, ive had a 4-pack for like 2 years. I been doin a bunch of sit-ups and them bicycle things every night for the past 3 or 4 months. Im eating less calories, and I just cant get that 6-pac. Any suggestions?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 31st, 2004
Experienced User
Cant just do sit ups do get abs. You need a variety o ab excercises that target each part of your abs. You also need to lose weight for your ab muscles to show. Diet and variety.
|

replied August 1st, 2004
Experienced User
I heard that the bicycle workout targets every area. And im eating less.
|

replied August 1st, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Unless You"re Overweight Don't Lose It!!
If you are to remain healthy, you have to eat sufficent calories to "feed" your body - the calories needed will increase as you exercise more!!! So unless you are overweight you should not be eating less but more - look at how much top athletes eat!!

Cycling isn't really an ab workout, go to a gym or do some on-line research (if $$ are a problem) to determine a total body work out including abs but also to determine what your weight<>height ratio is now & also what your muscle<>fat ratio is (remember too that muscle weighs more than fat).
|

replied August 1st, 2004
Experienced User
I dont mean cycling, I mean that ab workout. Called the bicycle or somethin, you get in a crunch position, and your "pedal" your legs and touch opposite knees with your elbows. Its suppost to target all the sections.
|

replied August 2nd, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
I see well then the cycling is fine but you made no comment re the rest of my post!! Are you eating enough to get sufficient calories to "feed" you body given the amount of exercise you're doing? Also what about your height/weight & muscle/fat ratios??
|

replied August 2nd, 2004
Experienced User
Dont just do cycling. Do one ab excercise for each part of your abs. There are 3 types of excercises you should do.
|

replied August 2nd, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Since information is a hard concept for you to grasp - i'll help - try to be abit helpful & explain what actual exercises he should be doing!! Don't just say

"do one ab excercise for each part of your abs. There are 3 types of excercises you should do."

how vague is that but it is definitely unhelpful!!!!
|

replied August 3rd, 2004
Experienced User
purple333 wrote:
since information is a hard concept for you to grasp - i'll help - try to be abit helpful & explain what actual exercises he should be doing!! Don't just say

"do one ab excercise for each part of your abs. There are 3 types of excercises you should do."

how vague is that but it is definitely unhelpful!!!!

why dont I tell the person what needs to be done and let him reasearch for himself and learn a little. Let them researrch and learn on there own without hand feeding them information. See hat different excercises the person like cause there are many out there.
|

replied August 3rd, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Fine but how about giving the person seeking help an indication of where to find the information - would that be so hard - if as in your introductory post to the fitness forums you are truly here to help that would seem to be appropriate - but then my question is are you really here to help or merely to take digs at others & try to show your superiority?? Not that you are merely that you think you are.
|

replied August 3rd, 2004
Experienced User
purple333 wrote:
fine but how about giving the person seeking help an indication of where to find the information - would that be so hard - if as in your introductory post to the fitness forums you are truly here to help that would seem to be appropriate - but then my question is are you really here to help or merely to take digs at others & try to show your superiority?? Not that you are merely that you think you are.

your the only one tryng to attempt to call me out. Why is that. Becasuse many people know what to do with my information. They end up learning so much if they research on there own. I am helping many people, apparently your the only one that cant see that.
|

replied August 3rd, 2004
Experienced User
purple333 wrote:
i see well then the cycling is fine but you made no comment re the rest of my post!! Are you eating enough to get sufficient calories to "feed" you body given the amount of exercise you're doing? Also what about your height/weight & muscle/fat ratios??

i dont really know how much im eating, I eat when I get up cause I hear that it boosts your matabalism, then I might eat something little like a grilled chease or hot dog, then I eat supper and then goto bed a few hours later. Im 5-8, around 130-135 pounds. Last time I got tested, around 6 months ago, I had 7% body fat.
|

replied August 4th, 2004
Experienced User
miller2190 wrote:
purple333 wrote:
i see well then the cycling is fine but you made no comment re the rest of my post!! Are you eating enough to get sufficient calories to "feed" you body given the amount of exercise you're doing? Also what about your height/weight & muscle/fat ratios??

i dont really know how much im eating, I eat when I get up cause I hear that it boosts your matabalism, then I might eat something little like a grilled chease or hot dog, then I eat supper and then goto bed a few hours later. Im 5-8, around 130-135 pounds. Last time I got tested, around 6 months ago, I had 7% body fat.

huh? It sounds like you eat nothing and none of it is very healthy. What do you eat. Give a better layout of your diet. You are very thin, however in order to get a 6-pack you dont want to eat less. Sure it may sound like you would but this is false. You need to eat healthy and probably more. If you eat less and starve yourself then you are making it worse. You are not giving your body enough energy of nutrients to make muscle. Dont just work your abs too. Work the whole body.
|

replied August 4th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Miller2190,

for the next ewek keep a "diary" (it doesn't have to be 100% accurate but keep it) of what you eat & how much (there's a difference between grilled cheese - which is what my daughter has - wait for eric's sarcasm - & grilled cheese on toast or 3 grilled cheese on toast!!) & also how much & what type of exercises you do - like 30 minute fast or slow walk to class, 1 hour of swimming laps - slow etc.

Also indicate in the diary how many hours you sleep & how many hours a day you spend sitting (tv, class, computer, reading etc) -all this will give you a truer idea of whether you are doing enough exercise, whether you are eating enough (& enough of the right foods) & whether maybe there is something else you could/shoulkd look into - saide from different ab exercises - check out these sites for starters.
|

replied August 4th, 2004
Experienced User
I eat pretty much, for breakfast usually a few eggs, dontk now if theyre healthy or not, they keep changin weather theyre healthy or not, then for lunch I usually eat a griolled cheese, or more eggs, or maybe heated up pizza. Then dinner is always different, pizza, chicken, pork, roast beef, sometimes eggs (i like eggs). I never eat fast food, so I think I eat fairly healthy and enough. I rarely ever exercise, but I usually play baseball, or go golfin, or swimmin during the day. And my main exercise is in the evening at work when I gotta walk around alot, and lift 50-100 pound crates, and walk places with em, mostly in a room with 170 degree steam everywhere that makes it really hot. Does that count as exercise?
|

replied August 4th, 2004
Experienced User
miller2190 wrote:
i eat pretty much, for breakfast usually a few eggs, dontk now if theyre healthy or not, they keep changin weather theyre healthy or not, then for lunch I usually eat a griolled cheese, or more eggs, or maybe heated up pizza. Then dinner is always different, pizza, chicken, pork, roast beef, sometimes eggs (i like eggs). I never eat fast food, so I think I eat fairly healthy and enough. I rarely ever exercise, but I usually play baseball, or go golfin, or swimmin during the day. And my main exercise is in the evening at work when I gotta walk around alot, and lift 50-100 pound crates, and walk places with em, mostly in a room with 170 degree steam everywhere that makes it really hot. Does that count as exercise?

this is what I am gettinng-
breakfast- few eggs
lunch- grilled cheese/eggs/pizza
dinner-various kind of meat ususally

this is not good at all. You should be eating amounts of food 5-6 times a day. You need to get carbs, protein, and calcium. You need some fruit and vegies and something more then eggs. Eat more and healthy. Dont be aftraid to eat more. If you are hungry then go right ahead and eat, however make sure it is healthy. You need to eat more I think and you need to make better food choices. Look around for healthy diets.

Your excercise is something, however I dont think it is enough. The heat wont make a difference in your workout besides tire you out sooner. I would start a full body workout and do it 2 times a week. Make sure you get all bodyparts- chest, back, legs, shoulders, arms. Search and look for a full body routine. I posted one on another thread, probably right below this one. Learn proper lifting techniques and start slow. Learn how to eat right and lift right.
|

replied August 4th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Miller2190 Read Paragraph 2!!
Eric the point in stating what my daughter has re grilled cheese is that there are differences (get the idea different) ways of having everything - so it is relevant - if I were here merely to please you I could say "some people have just cheese grilled - on nothing - while others have it on toast & perhaps others have it on something else" - but why shouldn't I say that my daughter has it grilled on it's own, or that I have margarine (as we here do) on sandwiches we don't have mayo the way you in the states do - but I can say what I consider relevant whether it relates to my daughter or not - I am not here to say what you think I should say!!

Miller,

you do seem to be having too many eggs - not good for cholesterol etc & also by eating them you are not getting enough fruit, vegetables, nuts, dairy etc. Some people benefit from eating 4-6 smaller meals a day while others eat a huge breakfast medium lunch & small dinner, & others prefer 3 similar sized meals a day - we are all different - in terms of metabolism & lifestyle therefore you need to determine which style of eating is best for your health & most suitable for your lifestyle.

I partly disagree with eric so far as exercise is concerned - working in such heat/steam & carrying heavy loads may well be alot of exercise it depends on how far you walk carrynig these loads & how many you carry etc. If you do do a sport each day you are also getting a fair amount of exercise - but it still depends on whether you do something daily & hopw "hard" you do it.

Since it's abs you are particularly concerned about - go to the sites I listed above.
|

replied August 4th, 2004
Experienced User
Alright thanks. I was lifing for 5 months, I had a fitness class at school, we lifted 3 days a week, and play sports 2 days a week, didnt see and ab inprovement at all, but I did get pretty strong from that class, can now bench 158% of my body weight. Dead lift 227%, and squat 165%.
|

replied August 4th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Eric You Asked So I Replied!!
If you do not want an answer do not ask a question Exclamation or is such a simple concept beyond you??

Here is what you asked:
"however I just dont see the point in stating your daughter has these grilled cheese" Exclamation
|

replied August 4th, 2004
Experienced User
Re: Eric You Asked So I Replied!!
purple333 wrote:
if you do not want an answer do not ask a question Exclamation or is such a simple concept beyond you??

Here is what you asked:
"however I just dont see the point in stating your daughter has these grilled cheese" Exclamation

you put a quote saying erics sarcasm so I wanted to comment. It wasnt meant to be taken that seriously and it is very pointless right now so stop. You took it the wrong way and it is usless to carry his topic on.
|
Quick Reply