Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Arm Pain??? (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hi! I am new to this forum and wanted to know if it is "normal" (in the realm of anxiety/panic disorder) for my left arm to hurt pretty much continuously. Sometimes it aches up by my shoulder, sometimes my wrist and elbow hurt and other times the entire thing tingles. I occasionally have chest pain, but that is less frequent (unless I am having a full-on attack).

I went to the er a week ago and they did an ekg and blood work and everything was normal. My gp (where I did my follow-up) said that my heart rhythm is normal. I take ativan for extreme attacks and just started paxil (day 2).

But this arm pain is driving me mad!! Please tell me I am not alone and if there is any way to get rid of it!!

Thanks,
kq
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper sickofPA
|

replied August 4th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Such pains can be due to growing or to overuse of one arm/area of the body (for example: kids who carry heavy school bags over the same shoulder or women often develop pains in hip or lower back as a result of carrying kids always on the one side).

It can also be due to stress, in which case things like relaxation, yoga etc may help - actually they may help in either case.
|

replied December 18th, 2005
Arm Pain
I have arm pain alot to I always think im having a heart attack but doc says no
|

replied December 18th, 2005
Experienced User
Yeah my pain is in my neck, shoulders and arm!
Continuously there, just the level or pain that varies!
|

replied December 19th, 2005
I too have experienced pain in almost every part of my body over the last 3 years I have delt with my anxiety. I too have also went to the er and had test after test done and they never find anything wrong. I find the best thing for me is to set aside some me time. I like to relax and stretch out my entire body. I am not saying this is a cure but it helps!
|

replied December 20th, 2005
Anxiety / Arm Pain / Acupuncture
Hi there,

i was reading your thread and felt I should reply.

I am a london acupuncturist and find that half of my clients are now coming to me for anxiety and depression. Many of them have accompanyng symptoms of pain. ...Migraines and or pain / tingling in the shoulders / neck / arms / hands.

Typically if I feel their neck and shoulders, they are incredibly tight and tense. Anxiety leads to tension, which leads to muscular tension which leads to poor posture, which then feeds back on itself. Ultimately this tension around the neck can impinge on the nerve bundles leaving the spine ... Which then creates referred pain / tingling down the arms.

So often before acupuncture, I will spend a little while focusing on releasing the area ...Just with massage. (focusing on the acupuncture points)

emotions such as fear, anxiety or anger are necessary emotions. They serve to push us forward or to warn us. But as well as this they are are also energies. You can feel the difference in them, and energetically if not released can turn inward can create illhealth ... Even depression.

In terms of five elemental acupuncture, anxiety is linked to the earth element. Ways to nuture the earth element include, (and it will probably sound silly) touching and hugging yourself and others, eating nutrious soups and stews ( food that you may have had as a child), going for walks ... Even rolling around on the floor ... Becoming more grounded.

If the moderators allow it, i'd like to mention that I have a free e-book available on my website. It discusses this very issue. It switches my acupuncture protocol into an acupressure programme. It outlines the most powerful acupuncture points for these conditions, and how to use them.

if you have any questions, please ask.

I hope I have helped someone a little,

all the best, tim.
|

replied July 9th, 2012
hi there i have the same pain down left arm with tingling and now have very bad pains in my back the doctors in jersey are not that helpful very worried it could be my heart
|

replied July 9th, 2012
hi there i have the same pain down left arm with tingling and now have very bad pains in my back the doctors in jersey are not that helpful very worried it could be my heart
|

replied December 21st, 2005
I Have Left Arm Pain a Nd Chest Pain
I also have really bad anxiety and panick atacks and right now I havea pain in my chest all the way to my back and my left arm and I get his weirs thing in my chest like if they nock from inside out once and usually aftyer I get this I have to burb and I also get it when I lift my arms or pick up something heavy , I ahev had ekg and eco cardiougrams but the doctor says everything is ok, I dont know what this can be then I always feel like i'm going to have a heart attack.
|

replied February 25th, 2007
how are you guys all doing... if any of you check this let me know - hope you are all feeling better, im going through a lot of this now but coping

off to racquetball!!
|

replied May 18th, 2008
arm pain
I have suffered from severe arm pain. sometimes in the neck, shoulders, elbow and down to wrist. It got so bad I was crying with pain.
I finally found help when I visited a Deep Muscle Therapist who worked all the knots and kinks out of my arm. She especially worked on the side of my neck where she explained we have a muscle that goes through the shoulder bone down to the fingers.
I have no more pain. It's wonderful
|

replied July 30th, 2008
hi.
i'm a recovering alcoholic and benzo-addict.
i quit smoking about a month ago (i started again yesterday) and since then i've been having bad arm and chest pains. i thought i was about to have a heart attack so i've even been to the e.r. a couple of times and they did an ekg and said my heart was ok. so they sent me to have lung x-rays. they were ok too.
my chest pains have gone away for a few days now. possibly because i've changed my computer chair.
but my arm still hurts allot. it seems to hurt after i stay on the computer for long periods of time and/or when i play guitar. the thing is it's a very general pain. it donesn't ever hurt in any specific place. like other have said, sometime's in the shoulder, sometimes in the elbow, sometimes in the bicep, sometimes down towards the wrist. it's a difficult pain to describe. it's similar to a tooth-ache kind of pain but it also burns and feels heavy at the same time.
i'm also greatly affected by stress and anxiety. usually (without alcohol or drugs) i'm in panic mode 24/7 but strangy i've been very serene for a few weeks now.
my doctor says my ahces and pains are because i'm stressed but i disagree.
any thoughts and sugestions would be greatly appriciated because if this persists i'll probably end up addicited to anti-inflamatorys Wink
|

replied July 30th, 2008
p-s: during the past few days i also had a weird kind of tightness in my throat right where the thyroid is.
|

replied March 5th, 2009
left arm pain
i also have left arm pain/numbness/tingly feeling and chest discomfort. Sometimes I feel like I can't swallow right and breathing is so hard. My pulse is always high around 106 and I feel like I'm just going to have a heart attack. I do have anxiety really bad and I am thinking that is what it is. But it always comes on the same time every day, around noon and I either have to take an aleve or my adivan. Eventually after taking the adivan I will calm down and forget about the pain but that's just scary. I've been to the ER and had a whole work up on my heart and they say my heart is perfect. What could this be?
|

replied April 3rd, 2009
I've had discomfort or pain also
I know from experience that anxiey attacks are not fun, so I understand what you all are suffering from and yes it sucks!
I have gone to the ER several times in the past because i thought that i was dying or suffering from some terrible condition. I have had the whole left side of my body feel numb one day after a talk with my parents which didn't go too well, and ended up calling 911 and had an ambulance come and pick me up, i later felt stupid.
I have also experienced the tightness in the chest, the feelings of impending doom which is terrifying, and lately i have had weakness and tightness around my chest. I just left my job cause i was probably going to get fired, so i left on good terms and now i live off student loans. So stress does seem to play a big role in this, I take Vitamin C chewable tablets and Stress B Complex pills to help ease the cortisol levels. I also bought a Serta memory foam mattress topper to help me sleep better.
|

replied April 6th, 2009
anxeity or doom??
ive had anxiety for about a year now.....ill be ok for a week or so after a stressful situation then out of no were ill get a brief throbing pan up and down my left arm on an off for about a minute or three, sometimes chest pain/palpataions, weird feelings all over my body like a wave of tingles,(this always happens late at night) my arm will feel alittle week at times the day after, and ill feel somewhat funny in the head (or thats just from the xanax i took during the attack)....sound like bad anxiety? also i play alot of guitar so im wondering if that has something to do with the arm pain at times....im still questionable about if its a health issue with heart or thyroid, but ive been to the er, got chest exrays-ekg-heart moniter-full blood test and everthing was good...an answers please??? any sugestions on how to ease the feelings?
|

replied April 29th, 2009
Anxeity/ panic attacks
I've been having anxiety and panic attacks for the past 3 year. I have had every test done that is possiable . I get blood work done every 6 months. (i know my Dr. must think i'm crazy) Now the panic attack have taken over so much that I stress over every ache and pain. I read these comments and it help a lot to know that I'm not the only one out here with these symptoms.
|

replied June 2nd, 2009
Omg thats the same isssue i'm having currently! I started having panic attacks last year in april and then THIS april i started getting pain in my left arm to! I'm only 15! But i've been to the doctor and they said it was my muscle that keeps hurting. Idk if this pain has to do with remembering what happened to me last year around this time or what. It's really scary cuz its been going on for a month and it hurts alot T_T
|

User Profile
replied June 22nd, 2009
chest pains, heart pains, strange feeling in left arm, anxiety?
I'v had an anxiety disorder for nearly 11months now, the palpitations have actually worn off, but its like they have been replaced with the chest pain.. i can deal with the chest pain but i get really scared when i feel the pain in my heart, i then have a strange feeling down my left arm, never my right. This really makes me think there is something wrong with my heart. I am terrified that i am going to have a heart attack and i am just waiting for it to happen now. Sounds like a lot of you experience the same thing but i still feel alone and i dont think i will ever be convinced that there is nothing wrong with my heart. I have had one ECG but that was about 6months ago, maybe another one wud put my mind at rest??
|

replied June 25th, 2009
No, chances are you won't have a heart attack due to anxiety. I suffer from severe anxiety and panic attack. I share you symptoms and was so convinced I will have a heart attack.
I've ended in ER many times only to be sent home after EKG and blood test come out normal.
I think we worry about having a heart attack and waiting for it to happen, and our minds exagerate these symtoms.

Right now I am having left arm pains but I figure, if I am going to have a heart attack, worrying is not going to stop it.

I keep a phone with me at all times. If it happens, I will call 911.

In the meantime, don't worry. Live.
|

replied July 30th, 2009
anxiety
I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and deal with most of the listed symptoms in the forum.

BUT for those of you who suffer widespread pain, go see a Rhuematologist. You may have fibromyalgia, like me.

Some people who have fibromyalgia may also suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. I have seen three rhuematologist and they all say 'certain people' have both conditions and they affect one another.

When I get stressed out over family issues or bills etc... I end up with a fibromyalgia flare up.

Womens periods can also affect fibromyalgia, I get worse when I am on mine. Depo shot helps, if you can afford it.

My anxiety gets so bad that I feel like I can't breath, like someone is cutting off my air. I have passed out twice bcz of it.

But I am better now that I'm on Effexor, Depakote and Ativan.
|

replied December 8th, 2009
I have a constant pain in my left arm and between my left shoulder blade and backbone. No fix. Also, both wrists tingle constantly. Stretching doesn’t help and it gets worse with too much caffeine. Still looking for solutions to eliminate these pains.
|

replied July 9th, 2012
hi there i now how you feel i have been getting really bad arm and neck pain,now it has gone in to my back.The pain is so bad and the doctors in jersey are hopeless.I hope you get better soon.
|
12 >>