Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

Gout - Ice - Eating

Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
Who are all these idiots on these websites who prescribe ice for gout? It seems common sense to me that low temperatures would induce crystalization. I am in the fifth day of an attack on my ankel which has since overtaken my whole foot. I was finally at the phase where the crystaization was suspended and the only pain was from the tremendous inflammation that remained on movement. I decided to try some ice to accelerate the removal of the inflammation and immediately noticed an increase in it along with a slight onset of pain again!
Also, I notice an immediate increase in pain upon eating anything, even the things that are suggested to helpful, even while drinking copious amounts of water!! Thus, I have been fasting for about two days now. Why is this?
After three days of abstinance, I had a few beers today for some nutrition in hopes that the dialtion of the blood vessels might help reduce the inflammation that's still lingering.
And can compression help?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Welan
|

replied September 10th, 2004
Firs of all, beer is the worst thing for gout. Im only 25 and I have gout because of drinking tons of beer in college. My dad has it also so its hereditary but even with genetics, I should have only got it when I was over 40 but the excessive drinking made me get it quickier.

Yeah, ice, heat and all that crap will not help. You need anti inflamatory meddicine followed by allupurionol. I take 100 ml of allupurionol a day and I havent had an attack.

It sucks that I have to take meds everyday but I cant help eating a lot of meat so I have to do it. I gave up drinking though
|

replied November 18th, 2004
Drinking
Yeah, i've been a heavy drinker and have had gout for five years.(since I was 25) there is no doubt in my mind that drinking beer causes gout. I am suffering now from a weekend of drinking. I went almost without symptom when I quit drinking for a few months. If you drink occasionally, but a lot at one time or over the course of a few days, a few days later it will hit you. The prescription drugs are not good for your stomach and organs, but work good for a while. Black cherry pills are the best natural relief i've found with high doses of vitamin c during an attack a close second. I've just ordered every claimed cure over the internet, so I will let everyone know if any work. I am also cautiously hopeful about taking the baking soda to change ph levels. I started it just now. Will let everyone know.
|

replied May 1st, 2008
Gout and Ice
Do you really think we should take the advice of a guy who, having gout, drinks beer for nutrition!!! And then condemns a known helpful remedy, ice!! even drinking water!!! Come on, this is a serious topic for serious people! Hey dandz, have another beer!!
|

User Profile
replied May 6th, 2008
Ha Ha Ha Ha Drink some beers for a gout remedy
Good Luck!!
It looks like this post is from 04 and I bet this guy is still limping around.
|

replied May 6th, 2008
First of all, I have never heard anybody claim that eating ice is good for gout. You must have come up with that theory all on your lonesome. Second, yes beer is bad. Third, fasting can be just as bad for gout as eating the wrong thing. Yours is the most peculiar, misinformed post I have seen so far on this message board. Go see a doctor, sir.
|

replied March 13th, 2012
Gout recovery time
I guess I need to cut back if not give up beer. I have had my first bout for 8 days now and it seems to SLOWLY be getting better. How long should I wait after it subsides to start outdoor activities like golf?
|

replied August 1st, 2012
Halfcow the question is about ice, as in a cold compress slash the way eating effects a gout flair up. Also, there are general guidelines to adhere to to avoid flair ups, but there is no telling what will bring on a flair up. I've been suffering from gout for almost ten years and have had flair ups in my best physical shape and diet; and worst shape and diet. I take 100mg of Allopurinol daily and have been experiencing one of the worst attack ever the past couple of days. It's a horrible disorder, and I wouldn't wish it on my sworn enemy. Hopefully a permanent cure is around the corner. I guess I'll just keep trying new home remedies untill then.
|

replied August 7th, 2012
Having an attack on my right foot right now. Couldn't put any weight on it. I do use ice a little for swelling but I have found that compression has worked for me also. I haven't tried any gout medicines although I have evidently suffered from this dreaded affliction for over 10 years. Part of the reason is that none of my doctors ever diagnosed it until a few years ago. It is really a frustrating and aggravating disease because it can occur at any time and the pain can be unbelievable. I could actually wake up the next day and all evidence of pain be gone or it can hang around for several days. Natural remedies I have tried include dark cherry juice, apple cider vinegar and baking soda. Hard to tell if they worked any at all. So I wish you all good luck and maybe we will find out what is really causing this and a quick cure to fix it.
|
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.