Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Fishy Anal Smell/discharge (male) (Page 1)

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
Hello
i am suffering from a slight amount of clear,
slimy discharge from the anus that has an
unpleasant seaweed/fishy smell that can
become quite powerful at times.

Does anyone have any advice for me?
Many thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper teemoney2
|

replied October 17th, 2004
I Need Some Help
Hey, ive been searching the internet for answers to this proble. Im only 17 and this has just started to happen to me. I get a fishy smell and everyone seems to notice it. It gets worse when im nervous. Need some help. Its really affecting my social life.

Thanks
|

Hi... Someone else also contacted me with this problem too...
One thing we noticed is that we are both avid consumers of
cheese and coffee Wink
actually... I don't seem to suffer from it at the moment...
So I can't experiment with dietary changes...

I'm trying simple things... Like writing down my eating & drnking habits and then comparing these with the times the smell is present.

Luckily mine is not strong enough for anyone not 'very' intimate to notice.
I sure hope your problem gets solved.
Watch that diet!
Dave
|

Hey
Hey thanks for the help.

I think its conencted to too thinks anxiety and irritbale bowel syndrome. I got some medication in the mail for ibs thats suppose to cleanse the colon. And im going to go on a only fruits diet for a couple days.

Did u do any excerise or anything. Im inactive and noticed when im active it gets worse. Wondering if I should start running. To sweat it out or something.

Thanks again
|

Anxiety is my middle name!
|

replied October 20th, 2004
?
Anything help with your anxiety?
|

replied November 3rd, 2004
Smell
Dave and everyone else. Greetings.

This odor is very symptomatic of a rare (or not so rare now) metabolic disorder known as trimethylaminuria.

The foods we eat causes the odors. Namely in: soy, lecithin, and choline.

Caffiene is also known to be a factor, but not as much.

Soy can mainly be found in vegetable oils, hence, your basic fried (fast) foods.

Dave, you mentioned cheese, and whaddya know, choline is most rich in dairy and fish products.

Lecithin is found in a lot of your sweets like chocolates and twinkies and things like that. It is listed 99% of the time on the back of the package in the list of ingredients. All three almost usually are. So check your
labels. And avoid.

Oh yeah, water. Lots and lots of water. It is a good weapon. Helps flush out many of the toxins.

Aloe vera juice and chloryphyll (spelled damn close to it) are good weapons.

Fruits, yes lots of fruits. Bananas and most of all blueberries (cranberries, too.) good stuff to have on your side in this battle.

Reply.
|

Yeah... That sounds like the concrete information I was looking for.
Thanks for cleaning the lens!
Now I just habe to learn a l little self-discipline and avoidance!!! Smile
|

No problem, dave. Self-discipline is the key. You're really gonna need it. Now, you can, uh, have your cake and eat it, too, just be careful when.

Night times and weekends are prefarable if you're going to indulge in those forbidden foods. By this I mean, of course, times you're not going to be around that many people. Just moderate it when you do, cuz' it can come back to haunt you the next day.

Okay let's break it down for specifics. You like your coffee. Fine. Just try not to overdo it. I know it sucks, especially in this gotta-have-caffiene-work100hoursaweek-star bucks world we live in. Okay, the tip here is, if you're gonna use cream, use the dairy-type creamer, not the powder type. Most powder creamers contain lecithin, one of the evil three. Hence, you must avoid.

You may like a donut or pastry with your coffee? Forget it. Donuts contain soybean oil and whole eggs.

Oh yeah, eggs (the yolks spec.), along with milk and fish, have the higest amount of choline, so it should go without saying...In addition...

If you like to have eggs and bacon before your coffee and sweets...I'm sorry. That has to go, too. (btw the dairy creamer you're going to put in your coffee is a small amount, so you're relatively safe.)

let's to lunch now. Say you're on the go, gotta have a bite to eat: skip burger joints, pizza huts, and taco bell-types. Places like subway are your best bet. Now a couple of tips about your new favorite eatery (subway):

one slice (or half slice) of cheese instead of two.

No mayonaisse. It contains whole eggs and soybean oil.

The only two "ingredient-safe" dressings are the "sweet onion sauce" and the "red wine vinagrette". The rest contain soybean oil etc.

Side note: when looking at the list of ingredients, the first ones listed contain the bulk % of total ingredients. So if soybean/vegetable oil is listed first or second, stay away. Near the end of the list, you might see "less the 2% of the following: soy, etc." don't worry so much about it then; you can sneak it in if you must. Which leads us to...

Chips. If you're gonna get the meal, the only chips you should get are the baked doritos. Regular chips are fried. Other baked chips contain lecithin.

Drink iced tea if you can, or the fruit juices. If not, then it helps if your soda is of the clear type, not the dark, caffeinated kind. These aren't as bad as the foods, but it doesn't help alleviate the symptoms either, if you know what I mean.

Anyways, try to adhere to the above dietary changes. I guarantee you'll notice the changes.
Let me know how it goes soon.

Peace
|

replied November 4th, 2004
Hey
So iced tea is a benefical drink or its just not a bad one? I like ice tea alot. Also I love cranberry juicce is this anyway bennefical?
|

Iced- tea is fine. Stay away from the caffeinated green tea. Regular green tea, from what I understand, is alright. I'll post it if I find it isn't, but I think it is, so you're cool.

Cranberry juice is an excellent de-toxifier.

You mentioned exercise: by all means, go for it. Go for a run by yourself, do some cardio, ride a bike. Get out there and do it.
If you're worried about creating an odor while working out (which, plausibly, will only really happen by doing long cardio sessions rather than weights) then do these things by yourself. You don't need a gym membership or be around people to do it, which is the beauty of it. Not to say that you will smell all the time if you did do it. Some days are better than others.

If you eat a good diet on the day you go to the gym, you should be cool for a couple of hours. (do your cardio last lol Laughing )

i'd recommend getting a punching bag and hanging it up in the garage. Great cardio and an excellent stress reliever.

But, yes, exercise can help burn the excess trimethyline in the system.
|

Look on the bright side, guys.

At least you'll be a lot healthier.

A healthy body helps keep a healthy mind, if you know what I mean.

Hang in there. You'll be alright. Wink
|

I almost forgot: organ meats must be avoided, as well.

Kidney, liver, beef hearts, things like that. Avoid hot links and hot dogs, as they consist of these things. I can tell you first-hand, they really aggravate the condition.

Oh yeah, butter is basically vegetable (oil) shortening. This, too, needs to be avoided, if possible. There are enough substitutes out there. Use jelly on your toast, instead, etc.

Oatmeal is a great breakfast alternative. Throw in some sugar and cinnamon and you're set. Don't buy the flavored kind. Get the regular oats and do the rest yourself.

There are plenty of foods out there for us to eat. We just have to know which ones.

I'll keep posting...
|

replied May 31st, 2007
Good Over the Counter Remedies
Radio Hosts Opie and Anthony recently made fun of the Virginia Tech. shooter saying that he was a miserable nerd who probably didn't know how to have normal conversation with girls, had bad breath and swamp axx. If it were so easy that just bad people got it. Fact is, it appears to come if the posterior has no room to breath. Wearing polyester should be avoided and if you have an office job that keeps you typing at a desk for hours on end, get up frequently to refresh yourself as well as your never region. Here are some inexpensive championship remedies that can be acquired at the local dollar store. Stay current on the most refreshing, least strong body sprays, wet wipes just like a baby's mother would purchase, neutral or peroxide based is better than baby powder types, and inexpensive briefs that don't fit you too snug. You can store these things in the corner of a leather attachee' case and it is your secret which no one should know. When you go to stretch your legs, on that 3rd walk about 3 hours into your shift, pick up your case and go to the private latrine. Use the wet wipe, If needb dispose of the inexpensive briefs, you'd be surprise how much smell accumulates in them, apply fresh briefs and spray the brief with that body spritzer. Don't spray the body spray directly to anus or skin as they can be abrasive. A spray or two to the neutral smelling briefs. Heck, you could even have the briefs bounty fresh from the washing and drying the night before. Never wear gamrments that were not dried in the dryer. Dampness will only add to the probelms. Use the regimen on particularly hott days or if you were confined to a taxi seat or the day was particularly stressful. After awhile you may be able to get away with a less strengent routine as your body will become use to smelling fresh. Diet is a big peace. You can look at your stools to get an idea of ho your body is breaking down food. Bad smells sometimes are accompanied by a greenish swampy looking bowel movement. This can influence what food you take in.
|

replied March 24th, 2014
thank you for thoughts useful tips. Wish there was an answer to it rather than having to live with it ... Thank you for your input here, bless you.
|

replied December 19th, 2008
ewwwww
I too am suffering from this icky smell. I have tried everything but have not cut back my coffee intake which i am really thinking is the culprit as when i did cut it out a few months ago(before this new smelly prob) I noticed i no longer smelt when i sweat at the gym! But ia m back on coffee and i am abit smelly if i dont wear deoderant and my anus has this werid horrid odor. But it is also very itchy and i tried worm medication just in case but it has been itching for along long time. my doctor say it is stress related but come on how werid. Does anyone else have this icky thing?
|

replied December 23rd, 2008
Same problem
I also suffer from this problem and have been scoring the internet for advice Has anyone found any info in this problem
|

replied December 23rd, 2008
holy !**@!
you guys have the same problem... i have had this problem for a while and came up with ways to manage it.

* I use paper towel to wipe with throughout the day that i soak in warm water... sometimes i even put a little soap on it and then use another paper towel to rinse it all off

* I wash my clothes a lot and always wear fresh underwear

* I use body sprays lightly and also cologne

* I am just now starting a low sugar no dairy diet, as long as i can have self control which i lack.

* I avoid high stress situations which make me sweat... sweating with this is bad.

* i take a shower before my girlfriend and i meet up...even if i just took one hat morning, which leads me to my next point, i have to take a shower my girl is on her way.
|

replied May 8th, 2012
A healthy anus does not leak smelly discharge. If it does it means your anal sphincters are sloppy and let the discharge out. Maybe this is due to some past injury to the anus (rough anal play/sex?) or some neurological disease. You should consult a doctor, particularly a proctologist, to check your anus.
|

replied January 19th, 2009
new user suffering with smells
I have found a solution to my problems besides cutting back on caffeine. The most effective way to stop odor is baking soda bath and applying baking soda to undergarments as well. It works in the fridge why not here as well. Good luck.
|

replied February 15th, 2009
Still Suffering
I am still suffering with this very embarrassing problem. I have this very weird see through slimy and sometimes very smelly (seaweed smell) coming from my anus. Sometimes it will come out when i have lots of wind. I also am bleeding a little from my anus which is a worry. I do not have any pains as such but sometimes it is very tender around my anus.

Has anyone the same problem ?
|

replied January 15th, 2012
I know its been a few years but....
Sounds like a Fistula. Hope you are doing better and hope you See a doc!
|

replied March 12th, 2009
OR
Well i can say is that watch what your eating and eat alot if yogurt that also helps
|
Quick Reply