Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Unusual Sensation On Left Side of Head (Page 1)

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
I have been experiencing an unusual numbness, pressure and tingling sensation on the left side of my head, just above the temple, for several weeks now. It isn't painful, but it's something I can't explain away. And there are times when I can feel the blood pumping through the area. As if the pressure is on the inside, somehow. It is localized in the same place, and it is virtually constant. Rarely has the feeling subsided.

I was curious if this situation has ever occurred to anyone. And if so, what in the world it is. My life hasn't been adversely affected by it, and i'm hesitant about seeing my doctor. It seems so trivial, I don't want to end up on a wild goose chase of poking and prodding if it can be helped.

Also, my left eye is constantly irritated and watery. This started at about the same time as the sensation in my head began.

I appreciate any help anyone can provide.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper trkelleyjr
|

replied July 23rd, 2004
Experienced User
This sounds like either a migraine or possibly a cluster headache (which can produce watery eyes from what I understand). Migraines can produce numbness and tingling, even though they don't in everyone. It also feels like your head is throbbing and can last for days for some people. I would go to a neurologist and ask about it. I think you will find your symptoms will be diagnosed easier than you think.
|

replied November 1st, 2005
Hello,
i know the feelings because I have them too,except with my pressure and numbness starts I feel like my left side of my head is asleep,and everything is happening in my dream.I had mri done five weeks ago and everything is normal.Do you get those weird feelings too?
|

replied February 6th, 2012
i just had that today and it scared me
|

replied December 10th, 2007
Me Too!!
I have had the EXACT same thing (minus the eye part, although my eyes have been getting some pressure lately on and off) for over a month now, but now it seems to be going away. I read somewhere that it most likely has to do with nerves, like your nerves are asleep like when your leg is asleep. I also read that if you rub that side of your head gently, it gets the blood flowing and helps it, and that you should drink A LOT of fluids and have a healthy diet, which has been a problem for me lately so I guess that makes sense. Let me know if you find anything else out, this has been driving me nuts lately because like you, I thought it was too trivial to go to the doctor for. Good luck!
|

replied December 17th, 2007
I would like to post in this thread as you have described exactly what I am feeling, with the veins in the side of my head sometimes jumping ) an occurence which can happen 1-2 times a day for me)

It has worried me and am wondering what it could be?

Thanks.
|

replied January 21st, 2009
head tingling
I have the exact same thing and part of me thinks this can't be normal to feel this nagging tingling sensation and part of me thinks don't waste my money on doctors and tests. What is this?? It helps me to press on it a little or else distract myself (when I'm really busy I never notice it because it's not painful) but during my downtime it's hard to ignore. Lately I can notice a pulse in the area like from the inside. This is not a headache. I'm 28 and otherwise healthy. Glad to know other people are describing this sensation too.
|

replied January 27th, 2009
weird fuzzy sensation
ive had the same kind of weird tingling fuzzy sensation on the left side of my head as well for about three weeks, probly is migranes cus they run in family.

Pasadena17, Birmingham UK
|

replied April 11th, 2009
head tingling
I have been feeling the same thing head tingling on my left side, kind of feels like a brush of cold shivers about 3 or 4 times a day. No headache just tingling. I don't understand what this is, and scares me sometimes.
|

replied June 21st, 2009
So, what is the doctor's diagnosis? I do not see anything.
|

replied November 28th, 2009
Lost hope
I have the exact same constant, fuzzy, tingling sensation at my left temple. I have tried everything (mri, teeth guard, going to an eye doctor) and the doctors have not been able to find out what's wrong. In addition to the constant tingling, sometimes my forhead will feel heavy, my nose will start to hurt and I will get a stabbing pain resonating from deep within my left eye. This all began in 2006, it's 2009 now. And it began with twitching the area right under my eye. The twitching has stopped but it left me with all these unexplained feelings in my temple area. I have lost hope.
|

replied December 2nd, 2009
Pain on left side of head
I have the exact same feeling for the past two days, however, mine started with a a "head-rush" and feeling of light headedness and almost fainting. Went to the hospital two nights in a row. The first night I was told I was dehydrated- which is ridiculous since I drink about 70oz of h2o/day. The second night I went back, I was told that they don't know- but to follow-up with my primary care physician. Has anyone else experienced the light headedness and fainting?
|

replied December 7th, 2009
i read that it might be lack of magnesium intake and of course, not drinking enough water- check this out!
http://dietary-supplements.info.nih.gov/fa ctsheets/magnesium.asp
i get debilitating migraines that cause me to throw up from the pain and this will go on for up to 12 hours. no fun
|

replied December 29th, 2009
throbbing vien in left side of head near my ear
What is the cure for this? It hurts me so bad.
|

replied December 30th, 2009
I'm a 27-year-old male. For the past several months, I've been experiencing a sort of throbbing sensation mostly on the left side of my head. It's not really painful, just uncomfortable. It almost feels as if blood vessels are throbbing. Occasionally, it feels a bit tender to the touch. This uncomfortable throbbing sensation is not always present, but it seems like it is present more often than it is not. Most often it is located on the leftmost side of my head, but occasionally I've had an uncomfortable throbbing sensation both towards the back and front left sides of my head, as well. It sounds similar to what you've described. Any diagnosis?
|

replied December 31st, 2009
i'm a 25- year old male. i have been feeling the same way for about 3 months. its not pain but very discomforting. my sensation is between the temple and cheek. i have gotten MRI, CT scan and other several test done. everything comes back normal. doctor says its stress related and i say "of course it is because i cant put this aside because i know its not normal". told me to relax. my next step is going to a Dentist because at times it feels like my discomfort comes from within my molars. ive been trying to relax but its hard when i am not distracted. will see a second opinion since i have just changed networks. at times it feels like this strange sensation begins in my molars... does anyone feel the same?
|

replied January 15th, 2010
I'm a 17 year old girl and I'm experiencing quite a horrible sensation: started with a pain in just one size of the head, actually i don't know if it's pain, but it's very annoying and constant, located in the back, top of head and seems also that hurts behind the eye. But I dont have any symptoms like blurred vision, floaters, and so on. The only thing that annoys is the head. Lately, I realized that also, when I have this "pain", my ear (on the same side) gets red and hot, so it means the circulations increased. But why? Also, i've been experiencing a tingling in this same side, like inside the head, all over the left side... I don't know what to think anymore!!!
|

replied January 21st, 2010
wierd sensations on left side of 'brain' ?
Well,first of all I'm glad I came across all your expierences and opinions. I'm a 27 year female. I've experienced the same thing. I wouldn't call it a pain nor a normal headache. I think pretty much everybody has had headaches at least one time in their lives, so I know how those feel. It's also on my left side, on very rare occassions I've felt it on the right side. I wouldn't know how to describe WHERE in my head I feel this sensation. I don't think it's above the temple like most of you have said... it's somewhere inside the left area, it feels like its inside in the middle. In terms of describing the sensation: it's so hard to describe. It's not a pain. It's more like some weird sensation, like it's being pushed down or something. Once or twice it hurt kinda bad and I really got scared. Other time I don't feel it as bad, just a tinsy bit. I haven't been vomiting, no diarrhea, I'm able to work, and do all my stuff normally. Although, about a week before I started feeling these strange sensations, I had become really sick with a cold that started with a bad cough and then felt my body going through different changes: dizzines, lightheadedness, vomiting, diarrhea, ringing in the ears, etc. When I started feeling dizzy I went to a general doctor and then an ENT, they both said I had vertigo. But it went away after about 2 weeks and then these stupid "headaches" started. I call them stupid 'cuz at timesthey really scare me and annoy me. There are days where I don't feel them at all. But like today I felt it once in the morning, and yesterday felt it pretty much thru out whole day but it wasn';t painful. It just bothered me. At times I think I have a tumor but I try not to think that cuz I guess tumors cause other stuff at the same time. I'd like to go to a neurologist but my ENT, which I've seen 3 times now, never referred me to one. On my last visit, he kept saying he doesn't think it's a tumor but if I keep feeling them, he'll refer me to a neuro. Well, since I stopped feeling them, I didn't go to the ENT again. Everything felt normal for about 4 days, no sensations and then, they started again. But they only happen at very random times. Sorry to write so much but I was just hoping to get it out of my system and ask for anybody's opinion on my personal experience? Please. Thanks.
|

replied January 21st, 2010
weird sensations on left side of 'brain' ?
Well,first of all I'm glad I came across all your expierences and opinions. I'm a 27 year female. I've experienced the same thing. I wouldn't call it a pain nor a normal headache. I think pretty much everybody has had headaches at least one time in their lives, so I know how those feel. It's also on my left side, on very rare occassions I've felt it on the right side. I wouldn't know how to describe WHERE in my head I feel this sensation. I don't think it's above the temple like most of you have said... it's somewhere inside the left area, it feels like its inside in the middle. In terms of describing the sensation: it's so hard to describe. It's not a pain. It's more like some weird sensation, like it's being pushed down or something. Once or twice it hurt kinda bad and I really got scared. Other time I don't feel it as bad, just a tinsy bit. I haven't been vomiting, no diarrhea, I'm able to work, and do all my stuff normally. Although, about a week before I started feeling these strange sensations, I had become really sick with a cold that started with a bad cough and then felt my body going through different changes: dizzines, lightheadedness, vomiting, diarrhea, ringing in the ears, etc. When I started feeling dizzy I went to a general doctor and then an ENT, they both said I had vertigo. But it went away after about 2 weeks and then these stupid "headaches" started. I call them stupid 'cuz at timesthey really scare me and annoy me. There are days where I don't feel them at all. But like today I felt it once in the morning, and yesterday felt it pretty much thru out whole day but it wasn';t painful. It just bothered me. At times I think I have a tumor but I try not to think that cuz I guess tumors cause other stuff at the same time. I'd like to go to a neurologist but my ENT, which I've seen 3 times now, never referred me to one. On my last visit, he kept saying he doesn't think it's a tumor but if I keep feeling them, he'll refer me to a neuro. Well, since I stopped feeling them, I didn't go to the ENT again. Everything felt normal for about 4 days, no sensations and then, they started again. But they only happen at very random times. Sorry to write so much but I was just hoping to get it out of my system and ask for anybody's opinion on my personal experience? Please. Thanks.
|

replied May 20th, 2010
Cold tingle sensation on left side of head with slight dizzines.
I am a 42 year old man who, has had these strange sensations since I was 30. I also have this intense strange and alarming, yet not painful feeling. It's like a numb tingle and the sensation of ice cold liquid being poured on just the left side of my head. There has been times it was so distracting, I had to stop whatever I was doing and wait for it to go away. It comes like a wave and usually goes away just as quickly. I received non-convulsive results from a cat scan a few years back. I have also told doctors about it on various occasions however, no helpful diagnosis or suggestions.
I first experienced this crazy but serious occurrence while in the Army,in the best shape of my life. I last had the sensation a couple weeks ago, may be a little more intense.
I don't have any idea about what might trigger or prevent this from happening again, but do believe it is a serious matter. I am relieved to hear so many other people with similar experiences yet bewilders me, why no conclusions have been made by our doctors.
|

replied May 27th, 2010
CURIOUS GEORGE does the sensation of liquid flowin last long? i get this and it only lasts a few seconds but it is so frightening, i keep putting off goin to the doctor
|

replied August 17th, 2011
Okay I'm just reading the above post I'm just out of the hospital after 18 days. I suffer from migraine, or so I been told for the last 15 years or so.
Recently like 6 months or so I've been having a lot of unusual headaches and a muesli head every day, constant numbness in my face, arms, remember not sudden sharp pains in my head and every time
I have been to the doctor I've been told it's been relates to my migraine. Weeks ago I loss my site in my good eye and I'm virtually blind in my other eye.
At A&E they said it is possibly a small clot at the back of the eye are a spasm in the main artery. The site has gone for four to six hours. One of the MRI scan I have done have shown up and enlarged vessel someplace to the back of my head which had nothing to do with my sudden blindness. They are now doing further checks on this and said this is the reason
I couldn't suffered so much from headaches and unusual sensations in my head for so long as it could've been touching off nervers. The amazing thing is I had a MRI done 18 months ago and this was not picked up.
And the moment I am dealing with a different hopisital and their concerns is, and that my sister at 46 and 1st cousin at 28 has had strokes.
I�m my early 40 I am a personal trainer and physical fit but at same my head kill me all the time and pull me down
Their words exactly �something not right here� and �I a pin board case� for them
|