Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Heart Attack After Quitting Smoking.

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
Hi.

My father just had a small heart attack after he quit smoking about a month ago. A coworker told me that this is pretty common for people who have smoked their whole life and then quit. I was wondering, is there any truth to this?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper John_in_NC
|

replied July 19th, 2004
I Hope Not That Would
Be not good I just quit smoking
|

replied July 19th, 2004
I Hope Not That Would
Be not good I just quit smoking
|

replied February 9th, 2009
quitting
I'd say this is true. It's probably the reason why when a lot of people including me quit smoking for a while we get left chest pains. Our body is used to having a smoke every now and then to relive stress, and without this powerful outlet in our lives our heart starts complaining about the added stress.

I'm sorry to hear the bad news. I'll put this information to good use by meditating as a stress outlet and maybe my left chest pains will go away.
|

replied April 23rd, 2011
Heart attacks soon after giving up smoking.
I just had my second heart attack since quitting smoking8 months ago..I've since met three other people with the same sort of history..Perhaps the advice given by GPs etc is no more than just rote quoting of what they learned in med school..Wonder if anybody's doing any decent research as it could be rather important..God forbid we should disagree with "experts"..
|

replied April 16th, 2012
My bf quit smoking 3 weeks ago, he was a heavy smoker for 30 yrs and quit cold turkey. Yesterday he had a massive heart attack and had to be shocked back to life 4 times. He is on the mend now thank God. But I do think quitting brought it on, it does need research because a woman I spoke to at the bus stop today told me same thing happened with her husband. It's a massive coincidence if its not true.
|

replied April 23rd, 2012
I smoked for 30 years, then quit and started excercising. Lost 20 lbs and thought all was going well until I had a heart attack with full and a major blockage in RCA.
Recovered fine, excercising eating right then next check up showed 2 blockages in Left Main.
Now a total of 4 stents and I am only 50.
The cardiologist said it is 80% genes 20% diet
|

replied April 23rd, 2012
OK have you ever had any tests like a stress or echo prior to your heart attack
|

replied September 27th, 2013
I have also had a similar experience with my first stent just about a week ago. I am aslo fit and strong and wondered if you can shed any light on your condition since April 2012. Hope you are doing fine and everything is sorted out.
|

replied January 17th, 2013
8 MONTHS AFTER QUITTING.....WATCH OUT!
Hi~
Female, age 64 here. Smoked for 40 years 1/2-to-1 pack a day, menthol, low tar) and had a heart attack 8 months after switching to an e-cigarette (nicotine vapor instead of smoking--a huge reduction in amount of nicotine absorbed by the body).
Was a caregiver for 9 years and was rarely ill while smoking. But AFTER switching to vapor, 8 months later BAM! Heart attack.
Was told I had 100% blockage in one artery, 25% in another and a stint was placed in 3rd to correct a 99% blockage there. (Frankly, since doctor could not produce the misplaced angiogram for me some weeks later when I requested it, just "told" me the above facts were correct, I didn't 100% believe him, since I had been active and seemingly healthy for so long UNTIL I Stopped smoking. NO shortness of breath, cough, etc. None.
Also interesting, a friend had exactly the same thing happen --8 months after quitting smoking, he found himself in hospital for major bypass surgery.

So all the "facts" about how quitting smoking prevents heart attacks seems like so much propaganda to me, especially after reading the above stories.
But---why lie to the public??
Except maybe it reduces the number of former smokers on Medicare
via heart attacks...or increases the number of stint procedures...
Just another instance of medical advice that doesn't bear up under close scrutiny.

As an aside, I don't FEEL as healthy as I used to while smoking. The medications make me feel even worse. AND I have had the flu twice in the last year and ONCE during the 9 years prior...and it was short lived then while these last bouts seemed to linger.
Weird.
Still not smoking....but that may change. (Just kidding,,,,I think)
|

User Profile
replied March 31st, 2013
Quit smoking
Hello My name is asif and i m from Pakistan,my age is 26 years old,at 05-03-12 my stomach got effected due to some bad meal,from that time to till now i did'nt smoke, though i have been smoking since last 7 years and i have faced 3 Panic attacks in last three weeks one of them was blockage(Stroke),after quiting smoke i dont like to talk with any one neither want to listen anyone i got stress in every tiny thing,thats true that heart effected after quit smoke.
|

replied April 10th, 2013
Experienced User
Interesting topic. I had a massive heart attack after quitting smoking. I was born with arrhythmia but it nevr gave me problems so basically I never thought about it; smoked since 17 and drank like a fish. Whopper of a heart attack at 21, after quitting smoking. Was weak as a newborn kitten for a year an a half.

THEORY: If nicotine restricts blood vessels, then maybe someone who smokes a lot and then suddenly quits cold turkey after a while, overloads their heart muscle with blood flow and causes congestive failure or similar? Damaged veins wouldn't be able to cope well with a sudden glut of blood caused by de-constricting vessels.

Just a random idea.
|

replied September 27th, 2013
Heart Attack After Quitting Smoking
I am 49 year old male who used to smoke about 40 cigarettes a day. Gave up real cigarettes for e-cigarettes about 12 weeks ago. Been going to gym at least 3-4 times a week, no high blood, no cholestrol, not overweight. Got a heart-attack and a stent a week ago. I'm not sure about what caused it. Just be careful and have your heart checked if you intend to give up smoking or have already given up smoking. Rather don't do the e-cigarette thing just to be safe. And you know what cigarettes are a cause for concern - should never have started it in the first place.
|

User Profile
replied November 2nd, 2013
My husband smoked until he was 30 years old. When he was 38 and I was 29 and 5 months pregnant with our one and only child, he had a heart attack. In the course of 10 years, he had 2 angioplasties and 1 quadruple bypass surgery.

15 years after that heart attack was when he decided to change his diet and lifestyle because he was sick and tired of being sick and tired. Even though I was the nutritionist in the house, he wouldn't listen to me about how CAD can be reversed with the right diet.

Identical twin studies and population studies have shown that 80% of whether or not you get the diseases of the genes you inherited is determined by your diet and lifestyle. How do I know for sure? I am a holistic nutritionist that have studied with the top integrative experts in the field in how the foods we eat and our bad lifestyle habits such as smoking, turn on our inherited disease genes.

My husband inherited bad genes and his bad diet and smoking turned on the heart disease genes and that's why he had numerous cardiac events. When he decided to eat the right foods and added yoga into his life, he stopped having symptoms and he has not visited the hospital in 5 years. (He used to go to the hospital every month with some kind of chest or stomach pains before he changed his ways.)

Doctors are not experts in nutrition - they don't know the nutrition literature because it's not a requirement to learn nutrition in medical school. Doctors are smart and indispensable but they don't know EVERYTHING. I used to be a pharmaceutical rep selling Lipitor, so I know how many of them think and operate. Do your own research, you are in charge of your health, not your doctor.
|

replied November 24th, 2013
after reading this i feel like not to quit, i am confused now, what i should do
|

User Profile
replied December 15th, 2013
May u can stop smoking gradually to avoid withdrawal syndrome and also to help body to adjust. Just a thought... Smile
|

replied December 27th, 2013
Quit smoking caused heart problems
I quit smoking in Dec 2012 at the age of 56. I had no health issues or medication at the time. 6 months later I had a blocked coronary artery and had to get a stent put in. I think it is the tremendous stress in quitting that causes the heart issues. I wonder if I had just kept on smoking and maybe tried to cut down if I would have been better off.
John W.
|

I quit smoking in Dec 2012 at the age of 56. I had no health issues or medication at the time. 6 months later I had a blocked coronary artery and had to get a stent put in. I think it is the tremendous stress in quitting that causes the heart issues. I wonder if I had just kept on smoking and maybe tried to cut down if I would have been better off.
John W.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Hi John...The problem happened far before you quit smoking...Now you must learn a new healthy life...Take care...

Caroline...
|