Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Pee Holding Question

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
My b/f and I have indulged in some pee play in the past. Last night he suggested we went the whole evening without peeing so we would both be desperate when we got home, something I know turns him on, so I agreed. We had a couple of pints in town and then went on to a club. We had another couple in there before heading home, by which time I was desperate for a wee!
We were walking back through town when he dragged us into a bar just before closing. I'd had enough but he insisted we had one more pint for the road. Half an hour later I was literally bursting! I'd had five pints of lager now and was frantic to ease the strain on my extremely full bladder. He was clearly desperate too by now and we were laughing about who'd get to go to the loo first when we got in.
Anyway about half way home I remember I got this awful sharp pain in my stomach, enough for me to stop in my tracks. I staggered onwards and made it home. He could see I was in quite a bad way by now so he said I could use the loo while he went out into the garden. I raced upstairs, sat on the loo, but no matter how hard I tried I simply couldn't pee!
I sat there for almost ten minutes with barely a dribble, despite my bladder being the size of a football! It was half an hour before I was able to pee properly.
Has this happened to anyone else? And could I have done any lasting damage? Today i'm needing to pee virtually every 15 minutes!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 27th, 2004
Uran Infection???
I had the same thing about 2 years ago on a car trip. My parents wouldnt let me stop to go to the toilet. I had stabbing pains and it was killing me! Finally we stoped and I could not pee... I was sitting there desperatly needed to but it just wouldnt come out. Straight after that I spewed up and had to go to hospital. I found out I got or had a urinary disorder.
You should really go to a doctor and get checked out, because I should start meds as soon as possible so it doestn spread to your kidneys.
Goodluck!
|

replied July 30th, 2004
I have that all the time and now I catheterize. I would suggest you visit a doctor about it and have yourself checked out to check for a urinary disorder.

I hope it all works out. Take care x.
|

replied August 8th, 2004
Don't Worry
Hi, i'm a british medical student. The human body has in-built measures for times that people can't/won't respond to their bodily functoins - namely, when the pressure exceeds a certain amount, the sphinchter which is under voluntary (your own) control, will automatically relax way before any dangerous level is reached.

Obviously you should still see a medical professional if the pain comes back frequently
|

replied November 7th, 2014
Hi,

As a med student, would you be able to give me some insight on a sharp jabbing pain felt when holding in my urine. I am aware that holding in urine should feel uncomfortable to say the least, but the feelings I get, occasionally, are a share jabbing pain in the bladder area. Unbearable really. Lasts a few seconds. Mostly felt when I wake up in the morning after a night of not peeing. I am worried about this and I have made an appointment to see my family doctor. Anything you can tell me about this.

I researched both bladder and Prostate disease and it does;t look like I have any symptoms of anything chronic. However, I can;t get my mind of it.

Please help.
|

replied March 17th, 2008
need to ask you a question
Spoike wrote:
I have that all the time and now I catheterize. I would suggest you visit a doctor about it and have yourself checked out to check for a urinary disorder.

I hope it all works out. Take care x.

meaning you have the catheter in your urethra so you can pee or it stays there since 2004?mine is i always hold my urine foe pleasure, didn't mean to, but all i know is i thought this is like masturbation, now i have incontinence back in oct 2007. and and then slowly the number of hours i can hod my urine shortens... and in the past month, i feel like this urine goes back to my kidney because sometimes i feel cold or warm on my sides by the rib area, and always it feels like it is vibrating or like pumping, probably reacting to the urine, that is coming back up from my bladder. and this bladder of mine does not contract anymore like it used to be so strong muscle. like the sphincter is already is not working.... before i feel pain if i dont go to bathroom if i hold my pee now there is no pain on the bladder area but warmth and coldness on my sides....

please help!
|

User Profile
replied April 2nd, 2008
Experienced User
Re: Don't Worry
mike_s6254 wrote:
Hi, i'm a british medical student. The human body has in-built measures for times that people can't/won't respond to their bodily functoins - namely, when the pressure exceeds a certain amount, the sphinchter which is under voluntary (your own) control, will automatically relax way before any dangerous level is reached.

I'm really confused now! Does it go away or come out automatically? Confused
|

replied April 3rd, 2008
Re: Don't Worry
mike_s6254 wrote:

So the body would not allow you to damage yourself. You'd get soaked before you caused yourself any harm.

Mike... Is it possible for this in-built measure to fail? And is it possible that the sharp pain could be something similar to a pulled muscle?

ちやき x
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2008
Experienced User
Yeah.I once pulled a muscle that way when i was 8,though i hadn't drunk anything,so it was just too easy to hold lol.

Yeah the in-built measure can fail,but never in my life have i heard of a woman who can hang on that long. :S

Someone told me that it's impossible for a fully continent adult to have an accident no matter how desperate they get. Shocked
They said only pensioners and people with bladder problems could soak themselves from desperation.

Some one please tell me that they were telling me porkies!
|

replied April 3rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
After reading this a few times I figured I'd offer my experience.
When I was in elementary school (many years ago) my teachers in many of the grades would not let me use the bathroom, they assumed it was my way of wanting to get out of class, well it turned out I had a kidney disease which was later discovered through a biopsy, all my doctors (urologist, nephrologist, and pediatrician) wrote notes to the schools I would be attending to allow me to use the toilet when I had to because holding my urine would do more harm to my kidneys.
There's a condition known as urinary reflux in which the urine backwashes into the kidneys from bladder, it can cause infections in the kidneys.

This doesn't only happen to children it can happen to adults if they don't go to the bathroom when they feel the need to go.

Yes some doctors will tell you to try and hold it to strength your bladder but I would only do this if my doctor told me to, giving my kidney disease, it's not worth holding it in.
It's only my opinion.
Take Care All.
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2008
Experienced User
But i know many fully continent adults who soak themselves way before they damage themselves!
|

replied April 3rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Some people have weak bladders especially woman who have given birth.
As we age gravity takes hold and things start to give a little with us.

Have you been checked for a UTI, IC or to see if your bladder has dropped (there's a name for it but I can not recall it at the moment)?

If it has dropped there is an operation they do to lift the bladder. If it's a UTI an antibiotic will help.
|

replied August 1st, 2008
Im not convinced that i agree with the medical student. Personally i have held urine for pleasure and find that the longer i hold the harder it can get to pee. I have never ever been able to involuntarily wet myself so obviously my sphincter gets a little stressed out and doesnt know how to relax itself without a little help from myself.

One example i can give occured during early labour. Whilst this time wasnt pleasant or intentional (mostly because i was getting labour pains and had a 9bl 1 oz baby sat on my bladder the whole time) for some reason i found that, no matter how hard i tried, i could not urinate. The medical staff eventually realised that my bladder was full and inserted a cathater, but by that time i had not urinated for over 12 hours.

Even with a baby sitting on my bladder my sphincter didnt relax, involuntarily or on voluntarily.

The longest i have held urine for pleasure (although i wouldnt hold it for that long again) is 22 hours when my then partner was tring to get me to involuntarily wet myself. Obviously it didnt happen so we had to abandon the attempt. That time it took me the best part of half an hour to get my bladder to empty itself and that was with effort on my part.

Obvisouly some sphincters just dont like to chill out!
|

replied August 1st, 2008
Sorry for the repeat posts, my pc got a little excited and decided to do multiples!

Id also like to add, perhaps around the time the labour episode occured i had unusually strong muscles in the pelvic region? I can remember the gynocologist moaning constantly about there being too much muscle in the area and that it was causing him problems or getting in the way or something. And my partners never could 'get it in' in those days if i didnt want them too. If i clenched my muscles they had no chance!

I must have had the arnie *i can never spell his name* swarzan????' of pelvic floors back then! Perhaps i should have taken up shooting pingpong balls from my who-haa as a past-time, i could probably have broken the world record for distance and speed etc.
|

replied May 31st, 2010
From my own experience...
All the time I hear medical professionals and students say that a person cannot hold their bladder to the point of damage, and I suppose that's what they have been told. I think for most of us, that is the case, but I have spoken to many people who gave me reason to believe this is not the case for everyone. I think there is a pretty substantial amount of people who should try to avoid holding for too long.

If you try to hold your pee in and you experience pain, difficulty urinating, odd sensations, or any other strange abnormalities, you should stop trying to hold it and start finding a bathroom as soon as possible. And you might get yourself a physical examination too.

I have no idea what would cause such things to happen, but I can only assume it's not good.

And to the person who mentioned a warm and cold fluid feeling in the sides: if you're reading this, I strongly advise you to seek medical help immediately. It sounds like you may have serious damage to your urinary system.

Sorry I can't give better advice. Good luck everyone, and please be careful!
|

replied June 16th, 2010
Urin Holding
i dont think you can do any damage by holding your urin every now and then. perhabs if done to often it could cause problems.
urin is held by muscles. any muscles can be (over)trained, they can weaken, cramp or streched etc.. so if you are holding your urin delibratly every day over a long time, that muscle will grow which can cause problems. if its a one off thing or something that happens once a week, e.g when out drinking, your muscle will reach a point at which it will just give in. and by the next day you will be fine.

that sharp pain could be caused by cramping of the muscles, so that you have to losen them before you can go to the bathroom.

It becomes dangerouse if oyu already have an infection and then try and hold it for too long. 99% of healthy adults will wet themselfs at some point.

you can compare it to lifting weights. Mudcles reach a point at which they just cant work anymore and the weight drops. same thing.

i'm not a doctor or med student, but why should this muscle work in any other way than the rest?
|

replied July 7th, 2010
pee holding
I have a pee holding desperation fetish. I have had several girls willing to drink about a gallon of water and then hold in their pee until they burst uncontrollably. None of them ever faced this type of situation where they weren't able to pee. They all eventually lost all control and peed their pants.
|

replied August 20th, 2010
HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!
FML!!!! I have a peeing dissorder call Paruresis, so I basicly can pee when people are around, and Im going to wounderland very soon. I'm littery scared to death that something bad might have, such as my bladder ripping ( How long can a male hold in pee before bladder rips?), hold in so long I need to get Catherd, or at best piss my pants. The worst part is it's with my friend and his family. And unlike my family they don't know I have this Issue. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!! Someone help me out!!!!!!!! I'm so scared I could kill myself!!!!!!!!
|

replied September 19th, 2010
would love to hold my pee it turns me on but i cant i get so desprate i have to go
|

replied March 3rd, 2011
When your bladder is full enough the muscles can't relax enough to let it out. Something like that happened to me, too, but I could drible from the start and it only took a couple minutes to empty my bladder. I experienced a lot of pain to the abdomen, too, it's the bladder pushing on nearby organs. I know for sure that having a full bladder too often will keep your prostate compressed and that can cause cancer, becouse of bad circulation. I've heard it can give cancer to women as well. I don't know if holding occasionaly can cause any harm: if you are holding for a long time I suppose you can get infecctions, if you stretch your bladder too much I guess you an damage the muscles. I wonder if you can damage the liver and the spleen: the only time I did something like this when I let go they hurt a LOT. I came here looking for information on this, since I'd like to do something like that occasionaly, but the only time I did the pain on the abdomen scared me a lot. It was also more than I can willingly take. The bladder can't explode or get lacerated, it can stretch a lot, so instead the urine woud just go back to the kidneys, but I don't think someone can hold that much. Maybe you can if you block the pee mechanicaly, or if you train your muscles to the extreme whit kegels.
I know that lots of fetichists do hold their pee at least occasionaly, and I haven't heard of any big accident, so I guess it can be done whit some moderation, but I'd need more info. I know a woman, Jennifer Strange, died of water intoxication instead, by drinking lots of water whitout peeing, while taking part in a context. If holding your pee whitout drinking extreme amounts of wather was that dangerous there would have been lot's of incidents: that's quite a popoular fetish.
|