Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Odd White/yellow Bump On Left Tonsil? (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Found a odd white bump (cyst?) on left tonsil do not know what it could be? I have no symptoms at all, no fever, no soar throat, nothing? It is about the size of a pea but oval and it is the only thing in the back of my throat. I had a itch there about a week ago so I took a look to see, and there it was. Do not know if I still have an itch or if it is my mind playing games? I do get canker soars from to much juice some times and thought it was one, but kinda looks like it has not changed in size or soarness? Would love some thoughts on this. Most of my canker soars when I get them seem to be like a crater, not a lump.
Thank you,
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 19th, 2004
Experienced User
I get those bumps now and then.. I think they can sometimes arise from irritations of the tonsils (from food, acidic drinks, etc). I would not worry unless your throat starts to really hurt or you develop a fever.
|

replied July 22nd, 2004
Tonsil Stones?
Hi. I've been having small whitish specks on my tonsils for several years. I looked it up online the other day, and came up with "tonsil stones". Don't know if this is what you have, but it could be.

Basically, if your tonsils are large, junk can get caught up in them, and then get surrounded by more and more layers of junk (kind of like a pearl, only uglier Smile ). They smell rank, and taste horrible!!! If you've ever awoken with a small particle on your tongue and an awful taste in your mouth, then it's likely a tonsil stone. They often pop out by themselves, but you could try g e n t l y pressing the tonsil with a q-tip to see if it comes out. Not recommended, but i've done it before. Mouthwash, salt water gargling, and hydrogen peroxide gargling seem to help prevent them.
|

replied April 21st, 2011
Tonsil Stones?
I used to get these ALL the time. I wouldn't notice it till it was a certain size, then every time I swollowed, it would 'rasp' on my tongue, creating a 'burst' of stink!! It would make me gag!
If it got too big, then it would pop out of it's own accord. It usually was about half the size of my pinky nail, kind of yellowish-white and looked like a piece of chewed up white bread.....but if squashed..the smell!!!!
I took to 'easing' it out with the curved edge of a teaspoon handle, just had to remember to pull it out in one go otherwise it got lost and LOTS of gagging was to be had!!!
Mine was completely related to ingestion of dairy foods, which I was allergic to. If dairy creeps in my diet (in any sort of pill from doc usually!!)then I know because this symptom comes back to haunt me!
NEVER heard them called Tonsil stones tho', what a hoot!
|

replied July 23rd, 2004
You know what sounds odd is how does it get loose? I mean it just looks like a white bump and only one. Does food get inside the crypts and then builds up with fluid to give it the white/yellow bulge? If I use a pick will I not let the yuck fluid out, and still miss the crypt?
|

replied August 14th, 2004
Re: Tonsil Stones?
lyricbaritone wrote:
hi. I've been having small whitish specks on my tonsils for several years. I looked it up online the other day, and came up with "tonsil stones". Don't know if this is what you have, but it could be.

Basically, if your tonsils are large, junk can get caught up in them, and then get surrounded by more and more layers of junk (kind of like a pearl, only uglier Smile ). They smell rank, and taste horrible!!! If you've ever awoken with a small particle on your tongue and an awful taste in your mouth, then it's likely a tonsil stone. They often pop out by themselves, but you could try g e n t l y pressing the tonsil with a q-tip to see if it comes out. Not recommended, but i've done it before. Mouthwash, salt water gargling, and hydrogen peroxide gargling seem to help prevent them.

had this for years before I had my tonsils out from years of tonsilitis. They were like craters. I could actually hack them up..Some the size of a pea. Smelled like rotten milk. I had huge tonsils as well. Man am I glad they are out.
|

replied October 13th, 2004
Tonsil Stone
How long do they last and will they go away on their own?
|

Re: Tonsil Stone
doss wrote:
how long do they last and will they go away on their own?

they didn't...I think I had them for 4 or 5 years until it got progressively worse and could not take it any longer and had my tonsils out.

At least that was the case for me.
|

Nasal Drainage?
I've been using a neti pot lately, and it seems to help -- i'm not getting stones so often now. You can get neti pots at whole foods or many yoga supply stores. Essentially, you pour a solution of warm salt water (1 tsp salt + 1 tsp baking soda to 1 litre/quart of warm water) through your nasal passages using this little pot, and it helps to wash out anything that might be causing irritation in your sinuses, and causing drainage down your throat. I never thought I had drainage until I started using the neti, and realize how much clearer my sinuses are!

Just an fyi Smile
paul
|

Is it safe to crush or pop them? Question
|

If you're careful, I don't think it's too dangerous, though other people disagree. I use the rubber-coated end of my toothbrush or a q-tip to pop them out, and i've heard other people suggest using a soft-tipped baby spoon. Just be careful you don't push so hard you rupture anything. If yours are like mine, they'll likely pop out without much effort. Know that it's only temporary, however, and that they will come back.
|

replied December 15th, 2004
Experienced User
Hello, I have had tonsilitus (sp)many times. Also I have sufferd with glandular fever last year. I to got those horrible lil lumps. They smell like cows manua to me. Lol. But any ho my tonsils are massive and always red. Every time I go to the docter( even if I ts not throat related) he thinks I have tonsilitus, which is wrong. He doesnt under stand me when I tell him there always like this, and gives me the normal perscription of antibiotics! I dunno what to do?
|

replied October 21st, 2006
White Flecks...
Kinda late on this , but , when I was growing up my cousin would always get these. His parents were smokers(ciggarettes and marijuana), and smoked both like trains around him. I never got those white flecks, my parents did not smoke cigarrettes or marijuana. After I got older, I started smoking cigarrettes and fiddled with marijuana, I noticed when I would stay at my cousins house before I got odler, whe ni came home, I would cough some of those flecks up. Now that im older and many years later after I ahve grown out of my "weed" experimentation days, I still get those flecks fro mtime to time. For eyars and years, around the same time, I would get reallly bad throat infections, this past year, I had one severely infecting my throat, nasal passages, ears and esophagus. It literally made me cry!!!! I said to myself enough of this, obvisously it is a massive infection from something, I think it is from cigarette smoking, either way, if you are not a smoker and dod not live with any, you may be o na scene (bars clubs, resturaunts) taht may cause the fleckjs. Any way, I got tired of it, so I chagned my diet, I alrleady ate super mega healthy, but what I do differently now , is I eat as much organic fruits vegatables and meats as I can(as in, if it is available I wil lget it, if not , I give in and get the non organic item.) I also increased my intake of anti-oxident nutritional suppliments, either pills or foods.

I increased my intake of papaya and elder berries(in caps cause I think this berry is the greatest thing ever turned on to man/womankind!!!!!!!!) elder berry will detoxify you thoroughly!!!!! I studied what made it so awesome. It is the natural vitamin c and vitamin a in it that does this, along with atleast 5 cups of water a day.(use a measuring cup and measure out 5 cups of water, not 5 tall glasses of water, taht may be over kill, also you can malnourish yourself withthat much water, and or get water toxicity, which is practically the same thing as malnurishing yoruself by urinating all your vitamins and minerals out of your body.) topped with the vitamin a and c and water, you can release a bucket load of toxins. With vitamin a and c you can over dose on them, even though it takes alot of each vitamin, still, when making elderberry syrup, liek I do, I make it super condensed so it doesnt take alot to get a mega packed punch of vitamins. If you read up on elderberries, you see signs of stupor sickness, those are also signs of vitamin a over dose, so they got too much of it. A couple days ago, I got vitamin a caplets from gnc, I got the 10,000 international units, which I discovered when I got home, is a good hefty dose, I stick the capsule in my mouth, crush it , and take about half of it. If you are a lover of sashimi(sushi), liek myself, take that euphoric feeling you get from eating it, and multiply it by 10 and that is the feeling you get from the vitamin a capsules. My vitamin a capsules are derived from fish liver oil. I like as natural asi can get and organic if it is available. I started taking this suppliment due to I am a smoker, and cigarettes greatly reduce vitamin a and vitamin c in the body. If you buy vitamin c from a store, get ester-c, it is a natural vitamin c from plants, beta carotene. Vitamon a also greatly increases night vision, and normal day vision. Anyway, that right there stopped my flecks , and stopped the throat nasal etc etc infections in its tracks. Hope it works for you. If you ahve any questions, feel free to email/msg me. I have alot of knowledge on vitamins and herbs. I will spread what knowledge I have for free. Knowing that the knowledge I spread will eventually get to someone else, and help them live healthy , is enough payment for me. Good night. ;p

p.S. ~ (throw away all generic vitamins, gnc is the place to get them at, there high quality and even though the price may be steep, it is well worth it , cause they are cheaper then other places. You can save alot of money at gnc by gettign there gold card. The more you spend at the time of gettign the gold card, the cheaper the card will be, I spent a good bit of cash there and got the card for two dollars. If your local gnc store is lik e mine in hammond louisiana, the first week of every month there is a %20-%40 off sale on a good bit of stuff tehre.)
|

User Profile
replied July 3rd, 2007
Experienced User
What I Have Right Now
so yeah; i stumbled on this forum and here's my story...

well, I've had tonsil stones before . It's not like it's anything new to me... I'm glad I know what they are now. But what's going on right now is that on my left tonsil there's a white spot. It's almost like.. a size of a small pea BUT it's not a tonsil stone b/c I tried poking/scraping it out with a Qtip, toothbrush, AND a toothpick. I actually use the toothpick to poke the white part b/c I thought it was a tonsil stone and it wouldn't hurt. It HURT. I felt everything. This is really freaking me out b/c I thought it was a tonsil stone but I don't think it is anymore because I actually felt the white part when I poked myself.

It seems like it's gettin bigger and bigger and it hurts swallowing. When I don't swallow it doesn't really bother me... it's almost like a sore throat only the left side of your throat.. like there's something stuck there also.

HELP! :[
|

replied October 12th, 2011
Did you ever get a response to what was on your tonsil? I have this same problem and can't find out anything.
|

replied July 3rd, 2007
I Use to Get Those...
Every Year i Would Get those. it Would eventually turn into Strepp Throat. Junk and bacteria is stuck in there. I've learned it was me Not Drinking enough water to flush out toxins. It eventually Built up in my Body and the Tonsils would stop it from going to the brain.

Every year i pick elderberries and make syrup and Juice from them, and drink plenty of water, It has been 2 years since i have had any trouble with my Yearly Strep Throat. Hope this Helps. I am also a smoker, and it dries the throat out and causes infection to set on more.

Get you some Black Walnut Extrat and mix it properly with water and gargle the solution, it really helps out, also Astragalus concentrate gargle. Milk products and Sugar coat the throat and make the bacteria grow faster. Spicy Foods aggravate it and will make it worse.
Well, LAter on Chief.
Need any more info, Email me at [email removed] Peace.
|

replied July 3rd, 2007
That could very well be tonsillitis. If more start popping up on the rest of your left tonsil, and then spread to the rest, it's probably that.

When you get tonsillitis, your throat is never actually sore, but it feels more like a muscular soreness (like that feeling you get after exercising), but only when you swallow.

Tonsillitis is also a sign of mono, so watch out-- it happened to me.
|

replied January 25th, 2008
READ THIS
Well I to had one of those.It was just white though.I to got all panicky.I thought I might need my tonsils removed or somethin.I even thought about making a doctors appointment.But I just decided to look it up first and look at a disscussion board were real ppl were probably talking about it.Then I read that it's food built up and how someone used a toothpic to pick theirs out which sounded really disgusting.I did'nt want to touch it and I could find a toothpic but I did find a straw.So I tried to get it ou carefully with that and it just started sliding out.It was just a lil left over piece of food.And I no I did not smell it considering that it probably was stink after being there 4 a while.But I got it out now then I gargled with salt water.I think this should go as a lesson to us all to not only brush every night but gargle to. pointr
|

User Profile
replied January 25th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Doss wrote:
Is it safe to crush or pop them? Question

i reach in and scrape them out. its not gonna hurt you--unless you have a huge gag reflex.
|

replied June 28th, 2009
White syst attached to the back of my throat!?
Hey Prone did you ever get that thing attached to your throat profiled?? I have the same thing but it's on the right side. I'm freaking out here!! It dosent hurt, but we all know that dosent mean it isint bad! Is it cancer or something?? What is it!?!?!?
|

replied July 20th, 2009
Just A little help
I have tonsil stone which are also referred to as tonsilloliths. I have had them since I was little but never knew what they were until I did a little research on my own. When I was little I remember them being bad a few time then they went away on there own. Now I have them again, and I read that if you gargle with hot water (as hot as you can take it) and put some lime and salt in the water it will make them go away or be less of a hassle.
|

replied July 23rd, 2009
I was wondering if Nasal polyps can cause these issues on the tonsils? If a nasal polyp erupts, the toxins go down your throat right to the tonsil area, which may also include bacteria which can infect the tonsils right? Is there a connection?
|
12 >>