Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

Shoulder, Arm And Hand Pain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
For the past 3 days I have been having severe pain in my shoulder, my whole arm and hand. Nothing I have taken has helped ease the pain and it hurts so bad I can't even sleep. Crying or Very sad

i have no idea of what's causing this pain since I haven't seen my doctor yet. I keep hoping the pain will go away by itself but it hasn't. Has anyone else on this board had any similiar symptoms and if so, what was the cause and what did you do to stop the pain?

Any and all replies would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Beverly
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper tuckerdog
|
Users who thank Beverly4 for this post: Pearlywhite 

replied August 13th, 2004
I had tingling in my hand, later pain, and was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome. Had surgery oct. 2003 but it still hurts. Along with that I had arm and shoulder pain. Have helped it with trigger point massage in my neck. My arm starts to hurt if I sit in a soft chair, I guess a nerve is being compressed. Also--do you sleep on the arm?

Here are some links, hope something helps you!

Nerves
http://www.Carpaltunnels.Com/cts/carpaltun nel.Html

trigger points--
http://www.Amtamassage.Org/journal/fall02_ journal/scalenes_pg2.Html
this is what helped my arm and shoulder

http://www.Triggerpointbook.Com/carpaltu.H tm

repetitive strain injuries--

www.Bodymindresources.Com

http://www.Rsiprogram.Com/index.Htm

http://www.Selfcare4rsi.Com

tos:

www.Ecentral.Com/members/rsanders/
www.Handsurgeon.Com/thoracic_outlet.Html
www.Chiroweb.Com/archives/18/04/07.Html
www.Chiroweb.Com/archives/09/24/10.Html
www.Chiroweb.Com/archives/16/12/05.Html
www.Chiroweb.Com/archives/08/06/11.Html
www.Chiroweb.Com/archives/18/14/01.Html
www.Somatic.Com/lesson.Html
www.Silcom.Com/~dwsmith/ajs293.Html
www.Activereleasetechnique.Com/art.Html
|

replied December 9th, 2004
What a superb post and links donna - it has led to partial answers to many questions I will raise in a new thread to be called "make carpal tunnel syndrome a prescribed industrial disease".
|

replied August 5th, 2005
Shoulder, Arm Pain
I have been taking baclofen for pain for the same conditions and it takes the edge off the pain. I have your symtoms too.
|

replied September 8th, 2005
Re: Shoulder, Arm And Hand Pain
I have a pain that last for maybe 10 sec on my left side of my face and it pains in my right shoulerat the same time. I've been check out but no signs of nothing. It could be caused from stress of sometimes when you have dental work , like a wisdom tooth pulled ,it will affect a nerve as well. Go to the doctor and check it out. Take care
beverly4 wrote:
for the past 3 days I have been having severe pain in my shoulder, my whole arm and hand. Nothing I have taken has helped ease the pain and it hurts so bad I can't even sleep. :cry:

i have no idea of what's causing this pain since I haven't seen my doctor yet. I keep hoping the pain will go away by itself but it hasn't. Has anyone else on this board had any similiar symptoms and if so, what was the cause and what did you do to stop the pain?

Any and all replies would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Beverly
:cry:
|

replied August 16th, 2012
Pain in should, arms and hands
Beverly, I have the same pain and going to the doctor, they think it's carpal tunnel. Going to a nerve doctor to see if it may be something else. I wake up very stiff and in pain and wakes me up during the night. As long as I am moving, I'm okay but still hurts. I will post later.

Sandy
|

replied May 25th, 2009
carpal tunnel syndrome
I am having the same problem, same identical pains.
I thought it was somrthing else but maybe it is carpal tunnel syndrome
|

replied September 21st, 2009
Look up brachial plexus neuritis. I have been suffering from this for 4 months. Have had physical therapy and had two rounds of prednisone. The prednisone does provide some decent relief but it is only temporary. I was told by my doctor who did the nerve conduction study that this can last a matter of weeks or years. It is very miserable and I feel your pain...literally! Good luck!
|

replied June 21st, 2010
I have a terrible pain on my right arm starts from hand and goes upto neck side, its is from inner side seems like the bone is paining, no relief with pain killers even, my age 21years female, use lot of net and mobile with the same hand.............pls. suggest something.
|

replied September 30th, 2011
I have similar symptoms but on my left side. The pain started about a week ago, did some checking and came up with (brachial plexus neuritis) nerves that descends from the back of the neck to the shoulders, arms, to the fingers and some parts of the back..
I went to the doctor and was told it was a pinch nerve, but the medication given to me did not work. Herd about someone who can help; took a trip down there yesterday. The doctor had me sit down with my hands behind my back in a slouch position , my palms facing upwards while resting on the bench relaxed. With the tip of his fingers he applying tremendous amount of pressure in the nerve areas. There was no medication to take or prescribe by the doctor and a lot of the pain has gone; thank god! I have another visit but was told that some of the numbness and a little irritation will still be felt, the nerve, like muscles will take time to heal. P.S. Light exercise will increase blood circulation and will also help in recovery.

This place is in Trinidad though; I wish I could help everyone who has this problem I know the pain.

Trini
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied November 20th, 2011
I am having liner nurve pain in my right lower arm while i am lowering my arm or working.it is originating from shoulder arc and upper back-bone.
|

replied December 12th, 2011
Two nights ago, felt muscle pain in right upper arm. Within two hours, had pain in both hands, both arms, and both shoulders. I could barely grip door knob. felt somewhat dizzy. Selpt for almost two days. Symptoms mostly gone today. I am at a total loss what this might have been.
|

replied June 11th, 2012
Bilateral Nerve Pain in Multiple Nerves - Arms, hands, fingers e
I've had pain for 5 weeks in my shoulders, arms, hands and all fingers (at some point or another). I'm at a loss as to what this is. This whole medical issue has literally manifested into something different nearly every week. At first it was more dull pain, and now it's more sharp short pains. It literally bounces around like a pinball. The past few days it stays primarily on one side at a time but I have had an x-ray of my back and a cervical MRI which was clear. At different points within the past 5 weeks, I have experienced a little bit of burning here and there, stiffness, numbness (mostly at the beginning) and thensome. On June 18th, I have an EMG and a nerve conduction test scheduled and am hoping to find out more. For the past two days, I have begun to feel the nerve pain (very dull) and a little burning in both of my feet. Some days it's hard to get out of bed and most of the days, I'm absolutely miserable. This came on so suddenly and I'm only 27 years old (female). Even the doctors are a bit confused as to what it is since it is bilateral AND is affecting all of my nerves in my arms/fingers. Those symptoms alone seem to rule out Carpal Tunnel, Ulnar Nerve Entrapment, Herniated/Bulging Disc and the doc doesn't seem to think it's arthritis. I can't find anything definitive online either. I just know that I can't live my life like this. Hoping for an answer soon...hoping it's not MS or a brain tumor or anything (worst case scenario). With my luck, it's unexplained polyneuropathy. Any insight from anyone would be greatly appreciated!
|

replied August 6th, 2012
I have similar symptoms like yours. My upper right arm and my shoulder hurts. X ray showed calcium build-up on tendons (calcific tendonitis). Did an ultrasound guided procedure to extract/breakup calcium. Slightly better after procedure but still have same pain. Did 9 months physical therapy. Arm movement improved but muscle pain is still there. EMG and Nerve Conduction test show no nerve damage but early signs of carpel tunnel. I have type 2 diabetes and my doctor said it could be diabetic neuropathy, not carpel tunnel. So far no definite diagnosis. Next step is MRI of the shoulder area.
|

replied June 27th, 2012
My dad has been having sharp pain in his left arm. It started off in his neck and back, it was a little pain but got worse and worse til he couldnt take the pain anymore. So he went to see a doctor and they told him he had a muscle spasm, they gave him pills and painkillers but nothing worked. So he went to see a physiotherapist amd they massaged his shoulder and brought the pain down to his arm. The pain got worse to the point where he couldnt sleep and had tears in his eyes. He went back another time and this time the pain went away for about 10-20minutes and came back but this time in his forearm and hand. Its really sharp pains that come ans go.

Does anybody know what exactly this is and what can we do about it?
I really appreciate your help.
I cant see my dad in this pain, it hurts me!

Thank you!!
|