Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lupus Forum

Frequent Cold Sores

Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
Anyone bothered by frequent cold sores? It seems like I get them at least once a month. They're little blisters that break out on my upper lip. Sometimes I get them in my nose too, near the inside of my nostrils. Sometimes i'll get a sore inside my mouth, on my gums. Usually lasts about three days. The ones on my lips last longer. They go through a cycle. Day one is usually itching and redness. Then day two, little blisters. Then day three, seeping. Day four drying and then scabbing over. I hate them. I used to get them every once in a while (two or three times a year). Now, I have them all the time. My kids even tease me, "you always have cold sores mom." if they're contagious you'd never know it. My husband of 27 years has never gotten them.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 17th, 2004
Experienced User
Cold Sores
Hey tallwoman...
Whenever I go see the rheummy they always ask if I get cold sores. I did before I was diagnosed, since then though, nope.

One of my rheummys gave me prescrip for some kind of gargle that helps them go away. I didn't ever use it as I didn't need to. You may want to ask about it.

Hope it helps.

Why they come I have no idea. I'm someone will be very bright and say "stress".

Clarebear
|

replied July 17th, 2004
Experienced User
Hey Clarebear
Thanks for your reply. You know, the rheumy I see now has never asked me about cold sores. He's more interested in his test results and my neurological symptoms. He doesn't ask me for things that point to a lupus dx like, "do you experience excessive hair loss?" the answer would be yes. "do you experience problems with sunlight?" the answer would be yes. "do you experience cold sores?" "unexplained fevers?" the answer would be yes. And so on.

Well, I try to be patient with him. He does do his best. And I have to trust he knows what he's doing.
|

replied July 17th, 2004
Experienced User
Doctors? Trust?
You do ***not*** have to trust that he knows what he is doing. You can ***always*** get another opinion.

I know you are having a hard time getting an answer to your symptoms but if he is more concerned about things ***other*** than you then I feel there may be a problem.

I didn't like one of the doctors at the hospital when I was first admitted in 2002 and requested a change. It was done instantly and the new doctor was much better and also more informed on what was going on with me.

Clarebear
|

replied July 19th, 2004
Hi there -- I also get cold sores and my doctor prescribed me a really effective medicine called acyclovir (i think that's how it spelled?). As soon as I start to feel the tingling coming on I immediately start taking the medicine and it almost always prevents a sore from forming. Of course you'd need to talk with your doctor to determine if it would be a good fit for you, but it works really well for me.

Dan
|

replied July 19th, 2004
Experienced User
Thanks Dan And Clarebear
I see the rheumy again in august. You know, i'm going to be assertive and ask him about the cold sores and other symptoms. I really don't want to change rheumys because he's really the best doctor i've seen so far for my symptoms. And i've seen five (yes, 5) neurologists. And he beats all of them! I didn't mention before but he found a disease (a parasite actually) that I had, that no one had tested me for before this. So, I took the treatment for that, and right now we're waiting to see if this has helped. I think he's got his work cut out for him where i'm concerned. Because i'm a regular at the lab (always giving blood for tests) I have short conversations with the lab techs about my ordeal. They speak very highly of this doctor and assure me, that if anyone will find out what's wrong with me, it will be him. They say, "he won't give up." i'll also ask him about the acyclovir. I've heard of that.
|

replied February 11th, 2012
Hi, you mentioned being tested for a parasite. What test was that?
|

replied May 30th, 2009
I get cold sores all the time, but I've found that taking Lysine and Zinc tablets generally stop or reduce the occurrences. Since having these tablets recommended by my Mum (who gets cold sores almost as often as I do) I only get cold sores when I forget to take them for a couple of days.
|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2009
I'm curious what the sores in your nose are like? I've had sores in my nose but I'm not sure if they would be considered ulcers or just my nervous picking (no, lol not picking my nose...but if I ever feel a bump or anything on my body I can't help but pick at it...which always causes sores of course.) I usually get them on the very edge of my nostril on the top of the inside.

But my nostrils will itch from allergies and I'll be scratching it when I'll notice a bump on the inside which is just slightly uncomfortable. That's when I can't seeem to leave it alone and it will scab over.
|

replied March 11th, 2012
Hi, i am in the middle of being diagnosed with lupus. I am being referred to a rheumatologist here in the uk. I have read up about lupus and the symptoms...a lot of which i have had for a long time. i have ALWAYS suffered with nose sores and what look like cuts on the upper bend of my nostrils. I have also been a sufferer of frequent cold sores since i was a teenager. I have had 2 miscarriages and 1 ectopic pregnancy which were never investigated. all these things are on list of symptoms. I only got my bloods tested very recently because i developed the "butterfly" uncomfortable and unsightly rash across my face. Fingers crossed I get referred and get answers very soon.
|

replied April 19th, 2012
Need suggestions please. Fed up with no answers
Ive got every symptom of Lupus and nothing shows in the blood. It did one time for about 3 draws, doneevery 3 months then, after that the numbers didnt change so after 2 more draws {6 months}they stopped testing. Since then {1993} they have not been able to pin it down. It all seemed to start up again in about 2001 but got real aggressive it seems just this year.

I go today for a follow up to yet another negative blood test to discuss a rheumatologist that I had asked for a referralto. The doctor wants me to see an allergist first. I think I have been trying to figure this out long enough not to be messing with allergies.. My mother, brother and an Aunt on maternal all have rheumatoid arth, my other Maternal Aunt has schleroderma {?} and all is usually stress related. I seriouslt think going for allergy test instead of Rheumatologist is a wste of time and money and now yet another year of all this junk and still no answers. I am so tired of it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what can be done to pin point this I know Lupus is hard to find because of the different things it mimics but there has got to be something??
|

replied December 31st, 2012
as a kid I had what we called gum Bowles then about 13 I woken up with my lips and hands covered in fever blisters they thout it was because I never had chicken pox all of the lupus symptoms now make since for the past year I have been bruising from the waist down for no reason ..finally my feet knees and hands swelled up had my Ana tested it was a 1:300 so I go see the ra doc this month
|