Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

the Time Factor

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
I am turning to schizophrenics.How long did it take you to recover from your psychotic episode.I mean the time point when you fully understood that all was just a fantasy.I am asking because my doctor says that 20 days is a pretty short time for complete recovery.Is that so?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper lollipop4u
|

replied July 13th, 2004
the Time Factor
I mean after taking medication for 20 days.
|

replied July 14th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Problem I have with your question is I get the feeling that what you're asking is can I now stop meds?? The problem then is that having stopped another or many more episodes are almost certainly going to happen - if it's real schizophrenia.
|

replied July 14th, 2004
I do not want to stop my medication.I mean the following:is the time of recovery indicative whether it is schizophrenia.Can a schizophrenic recover for 15-20 days medication-taking or it usually takes 2-3 months to recover?.I just don't know.
|

replied July 15th, 2004
If you have been truelly diagnosed with schizophrenia, then you will take meds for the rest of your life. Your doctor may decrease and change throughout your life. But you will always take them. If you think you are better and stop taking your meds, more than likely you are 1 of 2 things....
1) you were not well educated by your doctor. He should have advised you that no matter what, you can never skip a dose.
2) the disease it telling you that you're better, which means you are the furthest from it.

I do not have schizophrenia. My mother does. She had her first episode when I was 7. I am now 30. She is finally doing well. But only because we made her realize she was hurting not only herself, but her entire family when she decided to skip her meds or suddenly take herself off because she thought she was better.
|

replied July 18th, 2004
Asking
There is misunderstanding.In other words my question is:does the shorter recovery time after the psychotic episode (in my case only one so far) reduce the chance to be diagnosed as schizophrenic?
Short recovery--->another diagnose???????????
|

replied July 18th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Any diagnosis made by any dr at any time on any person can be wrong for reaons as wide ranging as incompetence to diagnosis on basis of the "in" thing, to the dr not hearing/seeing/understanding what you describe, to you not accurately/clearly describing to dr not taking other variables into account etc etc etc.

That said if the diagnosis is accurate then you need to stay on meds & you may not have recovered as fully as you think or your degree of illness may not be as great sa that of some other people if you have recovered so fast.

As to your question of "could the diagnosis be incorrect" yes but the only way you (& remember you are not necessarily the right one to decide this!!) can determine this is by research on say google or yahoo, seeking other opinions (including alternative therapists) & also seeing if perhaps other treatment options seem worth trying given your symptoms & also perhaps any family history.
|

replied July 19th, 2004
Actually my diagnose is acute psychogenic paranoid psychosis but I can't find internet resources to differentiate it from schizophrenia.
|

replied July 19th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
There will be something somewhere on the web. You may need to try a different search engine (or a few different ones) also you might try asking your dr if your "condition" is known by any other name!!

Another thing (if you haven't already tried it!) would be to search under psychogenic, psychogenic psychosis, paranoia, paranoid psychosis etc - in other words break it up into sections.

Yet another query to put to a search engine would be "causes of psychotic episodes", or "medical conditions which cause psychotic episodes" & so on.
|

replied July 19th, 2004
Experienced User
You Can ...
Never generalize when it comes to people . They are too complex . Especially, when it comes to medicine . Each case is so different ! People who spew out " pat " answers are showing symptoms of an idol mind . Yes . Ask these harvard med students if there haven 't been well documented cases of schizophrenia where only one episode occurred in an entire lifetime ! It could happen to you ! Peace . Laura
|

replied May 12th, 2011
every case is different for sure and not all need meds, some do manage their symptons without but with the help and support of people around them and or with docs help
|

replied May 12th, 2011
Active User, very eHealthy
I was in deep psychosis for a little over a month, took the pill, woke up fine the next day.

It didn't make me realize anything about it being a fantasy though.

I've also gone up to a year without meds, it would seem over time, the longer that you take them the quicker that you go insane when you don't have them, a warning I suppose.
|
Tags: Recovery
Quick Reply