Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

sensitive to noise (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I just wanted to hear from others that think they might be sensitive to noise. What I mean is noises that drive you nuts like the kids crunching on their cereal really loud, or smacking their mouths together while chewing gum Confused , oh my goodness, I could scream. Or when the family comes over to visit, and everyone starts talking at once. They sound like a pack of chickens in a hen house Rolling Eyes . Other noises that drive me insane are loud tv, loud music, people that talk at the top of their voices when they are standing right next to you. Horrible noises like a knife scrapping across a plate Confused , oh no, I could just crack that person over the head....Lol....Think I might invest in a nice pair of ear plugs today.

I read about this in a couple of other forums and there were hundreds of replies from people who go through the same thing. I realise it is obviously a part of my anxiety, because other people I have talked to that suffer noise sensitivity also have anxiety.

Regards,

.::suzy::.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jdabrows
|

replied September 24th, 2003
Extremely eHealthy
It is annoying! Sometimes I will be sitting there and my moms talking, my sister is shouting and the babys crying...Im ready to pull my hair out. Talking all at once drives me crazy! I thought I was losing it because I couldnt stand all that noise. Then my husband would tap on my shoulder, and keep tapping until I hit his hand and say ok!!! It frustrates me sooo much!! I used to be able to listen to the radio loud, but now I dont like it. Im even more into soft music!!! Its weird!
|

Experienced User
I knew of a guy who had to choose an alternative for brushing teeth due to his unusual discomfort in the sound it makes.

It's weird because he's one of the toughest guys I know!
|

Totaly Normal
Well its normal if im normal but the sound of dishes clanking makes me twitch and cry and I spaz thats why I cant wash the dishes and I hate unloading them.
|

replied September 25th, 2003
Extremely eHealthy
I went to it and it said it wasnt available anymore. My sister goes crazy whe the baby grinds her teeth! She only has like 8 teeth! Its funny! I know. Because I tell jose "its too loud!" and he laughs. Or my saying "its in my ear!" like if he talks too much and whines I say "sshhh! Your in my ear! Go tell the dog!"
|

replied October 3rd, 2003
Specific sounds dont' get to me, but I can get overstimulated and anxious when there's too much noise...

Like when the tv is up a smidge too loud, and the microwave is on, and the computer games are going, plus having my mom chat at me - sometimes there's just too much mess...

Specific sounds? Nah - not really... Not that I can think of right now...

Good luck....
|

replied December 23rd, 2003
Experienced User
Noises!
I know what you mean! I hate smacking gum or food and I hate crackling bags like chips! My mom is the same way and my brother. While growing up, my mom would always make us put or m&m's or chips or anything in a crackly wrapper in a bowl. Looks like it wore off on my brother and i. If I hear someone smacking that I know, I will say "i know you are not chewing like that!" it is hilariuos! I suffer from anxiety as well!
|

replied December 23rd, 2003
Extremely eHealthy
Munoz, my dad always made us put chips and stuff in a bowl for that reason! I get phsyically sick when I hear anyone chewing. I mean, sick. I cannot eat at a table with anyone else unless I am in a great mood and find some way to block it out. It is better now that I am older. A couple of years ago I would not even eat. Loud noises scare the hell out of me. I cannot stand loud t.V's but music loud doesn't bother me. Unless I am trying to sleep and all I hear is distant bass! But, no you are definately not alone.
|

replied December 24th, 2003
Extremely eHealthy
I'm stunned!!

Now before you all start yelling at me (excuse the pun) I have the same problem & so does my daughter, but what stuns me is that no-one has suggested having your hearing tested etc, because my problem was caused by having fluid in my middle ear as a child (it wasn't treated for 10 years) & so although my daughter's is a combination of several (& on-going ear infections & stress) I do think you should (maybe all of you!!)( get your ears checked for any fluid, infections, hearing problems (some people's hearing is more acute in certain ranges & so they respond badly to those particular sounds).
|

replied January 3rd, 2004
I justed started a subject on this. I felt so alone on the issue that I was sure nobody had addressed it. I know how you all feel. For some strange reason when I was about 10 all of the sudden I couldn't stand to hear people chew, especially gum smackers. My parents thought it would go away when I got older, and by the way no doctor has told me I had fluid in my ears. Anyway 20 years and a couple of shrink visits later it hasn't gone away, and nor has it improved. I can fuction normally at a dinner event with people, of course with some anxiety, but still with my family since they know I have the problem I cannot deal with the anxiety and refuse to eat with them. As a kid I used earplugs at the dinner table. I even broke up with a good girlfirend because she began to annoy me with the way she ate. I didn't want her think I was crazy. So I made up a stupid reason to break up with her. I feel like this anxiety is in control of my life.

Good to know I am not alone.
|

replied February 2nd, 2004
I have this same problem, and so does my aunt. For me its noises like, chewing with your mouth open, or the dog licking himself....That drives me up a wall! I have a 10 year old, so there are constantly noises in the house.....Some of them I can tune out, but others I cannot. I also get easily annoyed by "noise pollution"....Lots of people talking at the same time....Loud tv's....And the dog.....I always thought it was because i'm high strung and edgy all the time. Never thought of an inner ear problem......Always thought it was a mental thing.
|

replied February 3rd, 2004
Anonymous
Too Loud?
Hi ya all I have this wierd thing that the more tired I get the more louder things become!!!!!!!
Like if iam upstairs sleeping the tv down stairs sounds like it is up as loud
as it can be!!!I hate it~~so I bought a fan and put it beside my side of the bed and that has helped to drown it out.
It used to just drive me crazy.
|

replied February 11th, 2004
I have the same thing. My mom has a bracelet that jingles. I want to rip it off her wrist because it irritates me so bad. Peoples voices get me the most. Too much spit or phlem. I tell my mom about it and she just laughs at me. She doesn't realize how awful it is and how insane it makes me feel until it stops. I'm glad to see i'm not the only one. I haven't been diagnosed with anxiety disorder. I am planning on going to the doctor one day. I wonder if there is some link between the two.
|

replied March 9th, 2004
Noise Really Bothers Me Also
Shocked I hate it ! My skin crawls Twisted Evil I can't understand how my boy friend or anyone plays the tv loud ! We live close to an airport ! But the planes don't run that much our way but in a storm forget it ugh I wanna kill lol Mad

and I have anxiety also Crying or Very sad
|

replied January 9th, 2005
Hyperacusis
I have the same problem as many of you. I cannot stand certain noises such as people who smack their gum, chew loudly, the crinkle of chip bags, sniffling, loud coughing, the list goes on and on. The reason for this is because I have something called hyperacusis. It makes people extremely and overly irritable to certain noises, obviously. From what i've found out by reading other people's stories on the internet, this starts at around the ages of 7-10. I am 14 years old and this has been a big thing in my life since I was 7. Especially when i'm at school [every single long day] in a very quiet class and the girl next to me just keep smacking and popping her gum for the loooooong hour of that class. I just want to bash her over the head with something and start screaming something along the lines of &*#!%!. I have actually had to physically get up and leave the class a few times because it was so irritating. So, I feel all of your pain very badly. I also unfortunatly got stuck with a father who has a dry, hacky cough, constant sniffling, and annoying chewing. So, that really hasn't helped much within my life, and because of my 'problems', our family has suffered some bumps in the road because i've neevr been able to eat dinner with them or go on vacations because I cannot handle the noises. But, if it helps any of you or if you want to look it up, the word is 'hyperacusis'. Thank you for your time. It's nice to know i'm not alone and that i'm not the only on who glares at people as they annoyingly smack their gum when I know for a fact that it can be chewed with the mouth closed.
|
Users who thank akloomans for this post: sammy19852 

replied January 26th, 2005
Noises That Annoy
My son exhibits many of the symptoms that you guys have described, he has been diagnosed with sensory intergration dysorder. It varies in its effect on people, some have tactile issues that certain fabrics or textures irritate them for others its sounds. He is far more worse than tired and cant stand the sound of a tooth brush against his teeth but seems to be able to hand an electric toothbrush because of its white noise effect which he finds anything repetitive soothing.
He also finds that using his walkman at times such as in shopping centres which over whelm him will calm him down and he can enjoy a shopping trip, he isolates as much of the noise as he can.
Good luck
lis
|

replied July 29th, 2008
highly iritating noises
im so pleased i am not the only one and there is a name for what is wrong with me, not just being 'stupid'.
it has always been a part of my life and people just dont understand how much it irritates you they think your just being over the top, but im not i wish it would just go away!!
its the stupidest things though, and does anyone find its just certain people making these noises for example its only when my sister flips her flip flops really loud o one else, and only my mum slurpin her tea loud, and my dad crunchin when he eats!!??
i think the worst is hearin two noises at once it drives me crazy, but worst of all it puts pressure on relationships - the amount of times i have had to kick my boyfriend or sleep on the sofa just because his breathing is annoying me and keeping me awake!!
if anyone wants to chat about this please reply to me would be nice to talk to someone who understands!!
thanks xx
|
Users who thank sammy19852 for this post: trushka 

replied May 15th, 2012
Hi I have had this problem for years and it is driving me insane,I know this post is old now,if u r still contactable plz mail me ,it would be nice to chat to someone that understands.
|

replied May 24th, 2012
Noise Anxiety
Hello, I just happened across this post and noticed that your post in very recent. I have a sensitivity to noises and would LOVE to have someone to talk to about it! I stopped going to church because of the loud "whispering", gum smacking, etc. I've been watching church on tv at home for almost four years now. Anyway, if you'l like to talk about this, give me your email address.

Bridgett
|

replied January 27th, 2009
What a real wacko Medical/Audiologist professionals who abuses
Be grateful for being deaf to have our own peaceful without hearing devices. As far as I can see people whined about cannot hear very well or anymore. They are looking for a pity and refused to face the Deaf reality in this society. Deaf people are human beings, too.

One thing I am furious at Medical/Audiologist professionals who encouraged the parent of Deaf children to have hearing devices and forced them to wear it while these Deaf children do not hear the spoken languages. Why do we have to deal with hearing devices that pressures over our level of deafness? It does not make any sense for parental rights to do anything with their Deaf children s soul, body, and mind that should be hand off our own individual s boundary by Medical and Parents of Deaf babies/children.

This is a real sickness mind going on with the abuses toward Deaf children's Deaf ears that is even more damage our Deaf ears by their own evil Medical/Audism abuses.

So therefore hearing devices are full of junkies and harms our health mental all along. Why keep this up and abuses more Deaf's mental health for so many years? It s so ridiculous.

This is a group of Cults who created more conflict problems for Deaf babies/children's life. They knew Noise pollution is not good for everybody while it s okay to abuse Deaf children s ears. It s not gonna to make them hearing or improve their deafness. NO ONE can fix it. Damage is more to Damage so therefore, you need to open your eyes and think about it before you abuse Deaf children's rightful to be protection.

Deaf babies/ children are not guinea pig or puppet for their own experiments.. Scoffs!

This is not making any sense at all. Otherwise they only wants the money market that is all they care about. Very selfish reason for them to make money out on us as well as it s a big scam and rip- off. It's a life and death risks to deal with CI devices that relates to our Deaf mental health which it turns me off in a big time.

Deaf babies and children do not have any choices from day one. That is very wrongful doing for anybody to do this to Deaf babies/children's boundary that should not across their boundary lines. So be it.

Deaf will be always deaf that you need to face the reality. That's so simple to accept yourself before you can accept others.

Sighs!
DeafSweetMind
|

replied March 10th, 2009
AHH!
I totally know what youre talking about. I get so ****ing irritated sometimes. Such as when I hear someone breathing loudly, chewing gum loudly, and chewing with their mouth open. I seriously wanna hurt the person sometimes cause I get so irritated!!! I have to leave the room sometimes cause I can't even communicated with that person once I've noticed this small mannerism that drives me nuts!
What do I do? I hate getting irritated at people I love, but sometimes I just can't take it anymore!
|

replied August 23rd, 2009
Me too!
I am at a new workplace, surrounded by 2 constant sniffers.. you know the type ...as if a simple sniff is not enough.. take what you have to the throat!
I am about to burst into tears, I don't know them well enough to tell them to keep it down.

Like many, I too have suffered this all my life.. cannot eat with my family, cannot stand the pop-corn crunchers at the movies. I have tried various types of therapy.. a shrink and a subconcious hypnotist.. but nothing has worked.
|

replied September 24th, 2012
I know how you guys feel. I live in a busy apartment building and the sounds of the trash being collected, the gardeners mowing the lawns and even of car doors being slammed in the car park drive me crazy until I just can't stand it. It gets worse when I'm tired and I'm more inclined to get upset easily at little things like people talking outside or just every day noises like kids playing or something like that. I just keep a set of earplugs in the apartment for days when I'm feeling particularly sensitive and that helps.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur