Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Hip Pins Unresolved Pain (Page 1)

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I'm looking for someone that might help me with the pain I have been having since I fractured a hip and had three large pins placed. I'm a small boned 45 yoa active female with excellent calcium levels.. And waaaay too young for this. I am experiencing a "catch' at one of the screw heads that occasionally (3-4 x wk) makes me unable to put any weight on the leg and pain that is almost intolerable. There is no warning or obvious trigger. I swim over 2 miles a week and my hip normally is ok, but some thing that I move or way I sit sets if off. (it's been a year since the pins were placed ). I was unable to walk for 8 hours today after I sat down in a soft chair in an office. I then bent down later to pick up a towel and after the worse rubber band popping sensation, was physically able to place weight on it again. It's still terribly painful, but by morning, I should feel better. Has anyone experianced this problem after hip pinning or students out there that could shed some light??? I am too healthy to be in this much pain. I have been given the option of pin removal, but as large as the pins are, it will take three to five years for the bone to fill in with 50/50 shot at any pain relief and high risk for infection. I appreciate any help. Thanks. Rolling Eyes Idea
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper la123
|

replied July 9th, 2004
It's possible that the pins that were placed in your hip were not buried in the bone sufficiently and are now causing you problems. From what I understand, the pins are normally inserted completely inside the bone so as not to cause any untoward effects by rubbing or poking the soft tissue in the area of insertion. If the pins are indeed the cause of your pain, then the only viable remedy would be to remove the pins or to adjust their positioning. Remember also that there is going to be scar tissue in the area of pin insertion that might possibly cause you pain and discomfort in that area. When is the last time you had a hip x-ray? An x-ray would definately show the pin if it were poking outside of the bone.
|

replied July 10th, 2004
I appreciate your input and agree that this is probably a soft tissue problem. I have had periodic x-rays during the year and the pins have shown no movement since surgery. The pins, however, are larger than what would normally be used in a frame my size due to my high activity level. The pins do have 'heads' on them that extend outside the bone. (approx 1/4") I can actually feel them under my skin. I've been wondering if maybe there could have been a small section of muscle or ligament that got screwed in between the head of the pin and the bone without being detected. (i had this procedure done laproscopically and pins were x-ray guided(sp.?). I guess it would be wise to get a second surgical opinion - if these pins should be flush to the bone then it would be worth looking into fixing that.
|

replied March 14th, 2006
Same
Ive been experiencing almost the same type of pain, both of my hips slipped and the screw wasnt put in all the way. I can feel my screw too. I would try mabye cuting down part of the screw or having them taken out.
Good luck
jess
|

replied October 17th, 2009
I had hip surgery almost 5 years ago and have had pain ever since the surgery - only when I sit or lie on that side. I have consulted 4 different doctors and 3 of the 4 recommend removing the pins. The other Dr. wants to drill the pins down as they also extend beyond the bone??
It is good to know that I am not crazy. I am scheduled to have them removed next week but am starting to get really scared. Andrea
|

replied March 31st, 2010
I had a pinning after a severe hip fracture about 9 months ago. In the last couple of weeks, the pain has flared up, worse than it has been in months. There is a huge lump in my groin that I had looked at. The doctor prescribed Amox for swollen lymph nodes, but it has actually gotten bigger, and I've followed the prescription regimen. I'm wondering if my pins could somehow be infected or coming out? It is extremely painful, almost as bad as it was before the pinning. I can't run or even do moderate exercise without being in pain. Could the lump and pain be related to the pinning?
|

User Profile
replied March 31st, 2010
Community Volunteer
I have heard of people being allergic to the material used in the pins...Often they have to have them taken out...I am not sure about the lump and the pain, but it certainly does sound suspect...I would stay on top of this and get some answers...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied May 14th, 2010
Removal of Hip screws
I broke my hip at 45. Now 52, I had my three hip screws taken out two weeks ago. It was a fast easy operation (1/2 hour). I was on crutches the first two weeks with no real pain. I felt a soreness that felt like I worked out very hard at the gym. But, I was told two days ago I did not need to use my crutches anymore. I have experienced a little groin pain today from walking in the stores about 3 hours. I'm hoping that's just temporary???

I had the screws taken out because I could feel them. And sometimes I felt a shooting pain from my hip to my knee. I started to have severe knee pain at night. So far, since the surgery, my knee pain has gone away.
|

replied September 8th, 2011
Hi Evergreen50!
Are you still pain free after hip screw removal? I broke my hip,femoral neck, last April, 2011, and have developed great pain in knee, pin site and groin area. Doc said He could remove it "eventually". Have not been able to return to work because of pain. Would love to hear you are pain free after pin removal!
Take care
Lotusone2000
|

replied February 25th, 2014
This gives me hope. I fractured my hip January 2013, had 3 screws placed on Feb 7th 2013, now a year later I cannot take the pain. I am 41 years old and am seriously contemplating getting the screws removed. i am going for a second opinion today. Thank you for your info.
|

replied June 17th, 2010
Evergreen50,

thanks for sharing your story. I've had 7 pins in right hip from an acetabular fracture for 17 yrs now and no pain until 7 months ago.

I was involved in a car accident and 1st it was back pain then I started PT and all of a sudden the pain in my groin started. If I lay on that hip side it feels like its numb and sometimes like its raw and pins are kind of pressing up against skin. not pain like if its poking. more of an annoyance. I'm also getting sharp pains in groin traveling down to knee. it also feels like pins and needles on buttox.

I'm going for an Arthrocentesis on Monday. They will remove fluid and check it to see if an infection. For some reason I think its a Labral Tear or pins are just going bad from being thrown around in 3 major car accidents since hip surgery 17 yrs ago.

I asked if pins should be removed and he said NO. I guess I have to wait it out. Would you be so kind to post your surgeon's name?

my past hip doctor no longer works on hips. he's taking care of me for now because this was his prize work. He's never saved a hip so severe as mine before. I didn't walk for almost two years. 8 months wheel chair, 6 months forearm crutches and then remainder on cane.

I wish you the best of luck in your recovery and hope you live a pain free life!

best wishes
|

replied June 18th, 2010
Removal of Hip Screws
MsMe72,

I'm so sorry that you have gone through so much pain. Hopefully, I can give you an optimistic outlook. It's been a few weeks since my posting and I feel no groin pain. I played tennis today and I'm starting to feel like my old self.

You surgeon might be reluntant to take out your pins because of the type of pins they are. Mine were easy to remove though my surgeon said he usually can remove pins with no problem. I chose him because he was rated the "top orthepedic surgeon" in CO by our local 5280 magazine. His name is Peter Lammens in Golden, CO.
Phone:1-800-258-5250 at Panorama Orthopedics. I really liked him.

If you need any other information. Just let know.
|

replied September 1st, 2010
Hip Pinning after the surgery
I'm 52 now and had a bad fall 2 years ago and broke the femur neck and had the hip pinning also , there are 3 screws inserted to hold the bone together.. I shattered it. Well for the last 6 months or so I have nothing but constant pain in both hips and in my right groin area. today I got xrays and one of the screws is hitting against the cup that the bone sits in , I feel like something is either pinching or pushing on a nerve. Maybe I will have to have them removed or the one repositioned. I just want to feel normal without the pain constantly and when I sit for over an hour both my feet swell and when i get up to walk I'm almost crippled by the intense pain in both hips and the right groin area.
anybody? had this ..
Thanks
|

replied October 24th, 2010
Life with hip pain!
Im 27 now I had a 6inch pin & 3 screws put in my left hip when i was 13yrs old through a 7 in opening. I fell on roller blades and I walked on it a week before I went to the ER. They did the surgery the next morning. After all these years I still have bad hip and leg pain.

I can stand up from a chair sometimes and it will pop very loudly. When it happens I cant stand stright or walk. I can sit down and stand up again and it fixes it sometimes. Left leg/foot swells and I have numbness in the hip area down to my knee(nerve damage i guess)I have extreme pain in my groin area. Leg craps and twitchs at night in that leg. I also have pain in one place where a screw is placed. Its like a hard pinching from inside.

The doctor who done my surgery said I would have to have it replaced every 8 to 10 years. Im so scared of having it done again. I still remember walking on crutchs for 6 months. I have lived with bad Arthritis for years, but Dr's say im to young to have it. Go figure! They dont live with the pain 24/7. My spine cruves to the left because my left leg is about a inch shorter then my right leg. From my growth plate being broke since I was so young when it happened.

Anyway I wanted to know what kind of pin did you guys have removed and how big where they? Have you had any problems since having them taking out?

Thanks
|

replied December 30th, 2010
Screws and Much Pain After 6 months
Reading these posts is even very encouraging because there appears somthing can be done. I had a nasty fall in July 2010 and had three screws implanted in my left hip. Now have pain down the outside of my leg to the knee and cannot walk witout a walker. The pain appears to be diminishing slowly. I have looked at copies of the X-rays and the screws appear to be jutting out past the edge of the bone. My Doc wants to do a replacement of which I am very reluctant to do. I am going for a 2nd opinion next month at another institution witn a world class Doc (I'm told). My current Doc never mentioned removal of the the screws. I have been thru 2 courses of physical therapy with much pain. My PT says I am not supposed to be having the pain by now. Incidently, I had a blood clot in my leg in September which has complicated the issue.
|

User Profile
replied December 30th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi gpar200.....You are very wise in getting a second opinion....If you are still not satisfied get a third...I will agree with your PT as this is a lot of pain for this long a period of time....Please keep us informed...Thanks...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied January 13th, 2011
hip pain
i broke my hip 2yrs ago while out running i dident fall i walked around for a wk when i heard a crack my bone density is perfect doctors couldnt understand it.i got screws and pins inserted.when i do exercise its fine but about 12-24hrs later im in agony with a pain from my hip down to my knee i had physio and was told it was my i.t band as i do a lot of exercise but this keeps happening about 5 out of 10 times i exercise.ive also noticed a lump on the back of my leg which i can only feel when i exercise.i got it checked and was told its harmless but i have to live with the pain........
|

replied April 21st, 2011
Unresolved physical pain
Many people have had luck with unresolved physical pain from Spinal Reflex Therapy.
|

replied June 3rd, 2011
Broken femur from a fall on concrete. Had 3 screws put in. Since about 2 weeks after allowed full weight bearing, I have had heaps of pain from inflammed muscle where one screw juts right out and irritates as I move. I cant take pain killers or antiobitics (allergic) so use homeopathy. It helps so the inflammation and pain range from bad to severe. I just get it down to 'bad' but not drastic, and then walking for an hour or walking on unever ground flares it back up again.

I also get a clicking which seems to be 2 screws colliding. The screw is 10cm long and has a head on it. It seems that one hole was drilled crooked and maybe one screw is butted up to another and that was the reason one sticks out - it couldn't go in any further. Maybe?

I have had enough and am about to ask to have the one screw that juts out removed. I read here here of filing the screw back. I had wondered about that but wondered if the screw couod work its way in without the head on it. Although if it is really butted up against another screw, then it wouldn't I guess. Why do they leave the screw sticking out into the muscle? There must be stacks of previous instances of knowing the pain this causes and it can't be good to have a constant inflammation going on. It must also slow down the healing of the break. I know it means bone around the screw being drilled out to remove the screw plus the cutting of tissue to get to it! Not looking forward to that. All because the screw was left out. I can't take pain killers, so its not fun. But no choice. Its been 7 months since the break!
|

replied June 23rd, 2011
hi i am 25 and had a broken neck of the femur 5.5 months ago. It all went very wrong when i went into hospital it was diagnosed origanly as a break. But the next day a diffent consultant came in diddnt check my results. He decided to send me home its just bruising because i was mobil. so i walked around on it for 3.5 weeks untill it twisted out side way they suddenly panicked and operater and straighten the leg and placed 3 screws in. The pain has just got worse and worse over the coming months the doctors cant explain why i have this pain keep doing scan avsula nercosis not found any yet but it could start at any time they have told me if it did i would need a hip replacement. the mad thing is iam 25 self emplyed and still on crutches over 5 months later when i should be fit and well. I take lots of morphine every day with little effect and loads of other pain drug. if think the time iam better my liver will be shot to peices. i need some answers quick if they would give me a hip replacement and that would stop the pain i would take it. Well its better than bankrupt from not working properly. Anyone any ideas i know i go on
|

replied June 23rd, 2011
I bet a lot of the pain people are experiencing just comes from the bad positioning of screws. I would say always get xrays to check that first before considering hip replacement. I have been working on getting the inflammation down to a minumum(which has been caused by the one screw sticking out well into the muscle) so as to be in best space to have the operation to remove that screw. The pain is lessening. I am going away with friends for a month and will be totally resting so as to get hat infection way down. I intend to have the day op to remove that screw next month. I will report back here as to how that goes. It will be great to have no pain again. I am sure taking that screw out will solve the issue. The pain has varied from severt t bad - depending on how much walking I do - and it doesn't take much to flare it right up. I still cant sleep on either side. 8 months of pain because they put a screw in badly!!
|

replied August 27th, 2011
I am 69, fx my hip from a fall and had 3 pins put in. Have been non weight bearing on leg for six weeks, and partial weight bearing for past week, and can full weight bear next week. After reading the posts I am fearful I will never get back to normal, pain free, and I was very active before. I have been trying to lay on my good side for the whole time but after only a few minutes I have to lay on my back again, but am then left with pain in my leg for awhile. Last night I tried to lay on bad side and never even made it, and today extreme pain under incision. I assume this is all related to the screws. I can't imagine having to sleep on my back for the rest of my life. Anyone else out there that had hip pinning and recovered completely pain free. Can I expect arthritis to set in now because of the fracture? I'm so scared that life as I knew it will never return.
|

replied August 27th, 2011
I finally had enough of the pain being caused from the protruding screw, causing constant inflammation and pain ranging from bad to severe. It was always obvious right from the x-rays taken straight after the operation that placed 3 long screws in to fix a broken hip. I saw the consultant 2 weeks ago and am now on the wait list for removal of the offending screw. My hip break is apparently completely healed (9 months since break) and no sign it was ever there - so that is good news. The consultant said that is fairly unusual (I am 67) and usually they end up doing a hip replacement as it mostly doesn't heal. He was reluctant to agree to it but I gave him no choice. I could clearly see he was concerned about them being sued as the one screw was so badly done. Just before the consultant, I was sent to x-ray and the x-ray guy made the comment "That screw really is protruding a long way out." The consultant had the cheek to say that maybe the bone was dying and it isn't the screw - and that's what the pain may be....i.e. "its not our fault so don't sue us!!" That was after telling me that it had healed brilliantly - a moment before he realised I could sue them. (I am not interested in seeing. I just want to walk without pain!) Half way through the conversation he made a point of telling me it wasn't him that performed the operation!! He knew totally that it was the screw and so did I. Anyone that has this happen, can feel that it is the screw as when you change position slightly the pain eases off - unless its totally inflamed. Mine also catches but that is another story. I can only walk up a slight incline by turning my right foot totally inwards, that changes the way the screw is digging in and eases the pain enough to get up the hill. Then I can put foot straight again. But an hour is a long time for me to walk - and that is the limit and the whole time it is uncomfortable to really bad. I am on the op cancellation list so am hoping I don't have to wait 3 months which is what is scheduled.
|