Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Straining And Pressure

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
I have many post on here regarding rectal pressure, I have gone to many drs had a complete check up and colonoscopy everything is fine, my question is I have had pressure in my rectum sometimes it feels like I need to go to the bathroom when it gets bad it feels like my rectum is being pushed open, I was told it was due to my lower back injury and nerve damage, anyway, now im wondering can it be from straining to much when I go to the bathroom, can it be from being partially constipated does anyone have these types of symptoms, please I feel like im going crazy if any one can offer any type of advice please help
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mangly
|

replied July 13th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
First - I doubt that you're going crazy but you probably are fed up with all of this!!

Next it could be from nerve damage but if you're straining & constipated that would make the problems caused by the nerve damage worse.

Third, how long have you had constipation problems? How long since the lower back injury? The time frame for both affects answers/help etc - assuming there is any of course - sometimes we just have to learn to live with things. But please answer the above questions - also what sort of diet do youo eat & what if any exercise do you get?
|

replied January 19th, 2009
straining and pressure
i have something like what you're dealing with. about eight mos ago i was constipated from the atkins diet and strained during bowel movements. about a week or so after i noticed this annoying feeling it was as though stool was stuck just at the end of the bowel. i would make a bowel movement and it felt like a small size stool was being left behind. sometime if felt like i had stool stuck just on the out side of the rectal, like i failed to wipe myself. as time went on it would let up but never really go away. even when i would have diarrah i thought i would get whatever there out but the feeling would still be around. To pass gas would seem to give a little relief but only for a few minutes sometimes not at all. i have since had a colonoscopy and nothing was found. the dr stated if i still had the problem he would have me see a dr that examines the anal muscle. so now i'm waiting for that appointment. there was one other thing that i noticed, at the base of my neck if i move my head down toward my chest there is a traveling tingle which runs down the back and causes a tingle at the anus. At time i thought it made the anus fell numb like some type of paralysis. there use to be an intermittent vibration that would happen in the pelvic area which i though was very strange. it started one morning when my cycle started and stated around for two months or more.. i thought whatever this is that i'm dealing with it must be related to a damage nerve. at some point i thought my tail bone was the problem by pressing on the rectum. that would explain the traveling tingle down to the anus. anyway my dr said it's not the tail bone. i just had surgery unrelated to this but it was in the area, i had my uterus out due to fibroids. i was hoping this would relieve the pressure on the anus since everything was being push on due to the fibroiods being so large, but it only gave me a little relief. someone has got to know what this is!!! i know i'm not the only one with the symptoms i have......
|

replied April 27th, 2010
I am having similar sympthoms, and I was prescribed cyclobenzapr for levator muscle spasms. And believe it or not it alleviated pressure on one side of the rectum as if there are stools left behind which made me feel like going to the bathroom over and over agin, and associated tingling pain on the same side in heel,butt,shoulder,chest etc., disappeared. but not cured completely yet. Colonoscopies,fibre diet, etc., all didn''t help at all. Only the muscle relaxants helped.
|

replied September 22nd, 2011
I have the same symptoms of pressure on the rectum as if there are stools left behind, and I do go a little each time I go to the bathroom, but the pressure is never relieved. I don't have the associated tingling pain. I've had a colonoscopy, CT Scan, berrium X-ray recently, and besides diverticulosis, and a narrowing of the sigmoid colon area, the rest was normal. I have been prescribed Hyoscyamine in the past to relieve muscle spasms, and it didn't help. Now, the GI doc has prescribed it again as if he didn't know he had prescibed it before! Has anyone else found other relief of symptons. Should I go to a clinic that specializes in unusual gasto problems>?
|

replied May 4th, 2012
Hi,
Just wanted to add that hyoscyamine did not help me either.
|

replied May 4th, 2012
Hi Mangly,
Thank you for sharing that! Just curious the cyclobenzapr doesn't constipate?
|

replied February 14th, 2012
Having lots of pressure in my rectum off and on...
I have alot of pressure in my rectum i have more normal bowels than constipation which everytime i eat i have to run to the bathroom and still have the problem with the pressure in my anal area and also have a lot of inflammation in my left hip i dont know if its due to the sciatic nerve or my arthiritis, but the pressure comes and goes i have hemmoroids but with the pressure they dont seem to be the problem. I dont have health insurance and its impossible with the economy and have to strain to live, to pay for all the procedures the doctors want you to have, i had a yearly pap done 4 months ago and everything seemed fine, i was a little worried about that being the problem, so if anyone has any answers please
|

replied May 4th, 2012
Hi all,
Mangly the cyclobenzapr that you mention, that doesn't cause constipation? I thought all muscle relaxants caused constipation. I hope it doesn't because this is the first time I've heard of anything that actually helps! Thank you for sharing that! I have been having this issue and a swallowing (non-specific achalasia) for a year now, with no real help, except the pelvic therapy helps take the edge off pain but doesn't solve problem completely. I have severe pelvic floor dysfunction with the constant feeling of bowel pressure and feeling like it is not complete. I wish I'd gone to neurologist much sooner, have an appt. coming up, has anyone gone to a neurologist about this? I have had every test and every dr. under the sun except a neurologist, went to one actually and he was puzzled.
|