Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Lower Back Pain After Eating (Page 1)

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Hello there,

i`m a 24 year old male and recently I have been experiencing pain on the lower left hand side of my back immediately after eating a meal, i`ve searched the internet for similar problems but I seem to be alone in this, does anybody have any ideas as to what this could be? Also, it seems relative to the size of meal I have, i.E if i`m having a takeaway its worse than if i`m just having a snack.

I`d appreciate any advice you guys have to give.

Thanks alot
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper sd829
|

replied July 8th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Sorry,i don't have any advice for you except to see a doctor.I would do so asap.
|

replied July 12th, 2004
I will suggest that your pain is a warning signal to take better care of your back. Within 3 months of my own similar warnings, I have a slipped disc.

In front of computer too much lately?, your mattress too soft?, adverse change in lifestlye?

Please exercise more, take care of your posture, sleep better.
|

replied January 20th, 2005
I Also Have Back Pain From Eating
I wish I had more information, but I have been battling this back pain after I eat for years. And no doctor knows why. I find it is when I eat heavy and greasy foods, especially after 7 or 8 pm. If I eat anything late at night I might as well right off the next day. I have found that an anti-inflammatory, such as naproxen helps the pain. I also find eating healthy and excercising helps. Easier said then done. Keep me posted if you have found anything that helps.
|

replied January 20th, 2005
Active User, very eHealthy
Re: I Also Have Back Pain From Eating
haileyjayne wrote:
i wish I had more information, but I have been battling this back pain after I eat for years. And no doctor knows why. I find it is when I eat heavy and greasy foods, especially after 7 or 8 pm. If I eat anything late at night I might as well right off the next day. I have found that an anti-inflammatory, such as naproxen helps the pain. I also find eating healthy and excercising helps. Easier said then done. Keep me posted if you have found anything that helps.

this almost seems to be a cut and dry gall bladder case. Have they looked at your gall bladder function or possibly your kidney/digestive function. The back seems the obvious since you are the one in pain but because this is food related, it takes my attention away from the back and puts me most on the trail to your gall bladder.
|

replied July 18th, 2006
I have same problem... Every time I eat (except very small meal) it hurts in my back and I feel so bad for 2 hours at least! I had a gall bladder echography with nothing, and a barium x ray with nothing much. Was diagnosed with functional dyspepsia, but it does not help me... My condition is getting worst.

Anybody can help?
|

replied July 18th, 2006
I have same problem... Every time I eat (except very small meal) it hurts in my back and I feel so bad for 2 hours at least! I had a gall bladder echography with nothing, and a barium x ray with nothing much. Was diagnosed with functional dyspepsia, but it does not help me... My condition is getting worst.

Anybody can help?
|

replied September 30th, 2007
Food-related Back Pain
I am not a doctor, and feel nervous about offering advice to someone who might have a problem that runs deeper than my own. That being said, I have have experienced lower back pain after eating for years. Someone passed on a book dedicated to this very subject, and hypothesizing that it was some sort of allergy. I don't really know what to make of that analysis, but the book recommended keeping careful tabs on what you eat and how it affects your back. For me, the worst culprit was refined sugar--my back seems to react to it within an hour. If I control my sugar intake, my back is fine.
|

replied August 9th, 2011
I also have the same problem, with sugar. i have been diagnosed with candida albicans. research this, is my advice, and see if you have any other symptoms of this disease. if so, you will find symptoms subside quickly after being treatment begins. most dr.'s have not a clue about this! i have found help thru a couple of different holistic chiropractors.
|

replied February 11th, 2008
Food-related back pain
I've just been noticing that I have the same problem. Since me & my BF got together I've started cooking (not super healthy meals, but much healthier than fast foods) & he doesn't eat pork so I pretty much don't anymore. But one time we ordered a half & half pizza & I got pepperoni on mine...the next day I had diarrhea ALL DAY & uncomfortable back pains that I can't remember ever experiencing. A few weeks later I had a small frozen pizza that was pretty greasy, same thing. At first, I thought it may have been the pork, but today I just ate some frozen fried chicken that had a TON of grease in it & now I'm experiencing those SAME back pains. I can't figure out what it's directly connected to but I'm pretty sure it's my body telling me that all of this grease is not good for my body
|

replied February 16th, 2008
Everything in the body works hand in hand
If you are also constipated it may be that things a blocking up down there putting pressure on nerves, blood flow and muscles. What does the pain feel like?
How regular do you have number 2's?

try massage your stomach in a clockwise direction from naval outward then outward back in to the naval as one round. Do this for 21 rounds with light pressure and slowly. after that press deeply in and around the lower abdomen and look for sore areas. when you find one stop there and hold the pressure and breathe softly through the nose concentrating on the pain until it subsides. Once it does look for more sore points until all have gone. do this daily and see if it helps.

You could also stretch your hamstrings as that will always help with back pain.

Jedd.
|

replied March 2nd, 2008
BACK PAIN AFTER EATING - LOWER BACK
I suffered this actue lower back pain after eating about a year ago. Now I've had a Lymphoma diagnosed in exactly that area, about 11 cms, so it's been growing for a while. I don't know if there is any connection . . .

Gall bladder is more likely to cause upper back pain, between the shoulder blades. I know, I've had it . .
|

replied May 8th, 2013
did you have any other symptoms? Are you ok now?
|

replied March 13th, 2008
food related back pain
I am 23 years old and i too have similar symptoms. i have had moderate back pain since i was 13 and its not from lack of exercise i was decent shape but still the symptoms persisted. Although i have noticed that as i get a little older and less active the pain does seem to be getting slightly worse. But anyway, i too notice that if i eat a meal my back doubles sometimes triples in the amount of pain experienced. i have had every kind of test imaginable, (to no avail) i have had every prognosis from a bulging disk to sciatica. although the doctors all seem say the same thing "the conditions aren't severe enough to justify the amount of pain I'm in" its getting RATHER frustrating and I'm really beginning to wonder what I'm going to do. this pain is unbearable and i can't live a normal life with it. I told them of this and they all looked at me like I'm nuts. i was starting to think that i was the only one with these symptoms. But anyway if any of you find out what is causing your pain please post it here so that i can maybe get a better idea of what might be wrong with me.
|

replied March 26th, 2008
Only doctors can tell you what really can cause this pain. Meanwhile I would highly recommend using Acupressure Mat (Tibetan Applicator) which helps miraculously.
|

replied June 11th, 2008
lower back after eating
i have experienced this pain for a number of years especially after heart surgery.one of my doctors did allergy testing and found the following. wheat, gluten sugar pork food adatives dairy and eggs certain nuts.plus a number of other minor foods. staying away from these has helped but not to a great degree. stress plays a part especially if you don't exercise. i only drink water now and this helps. the other day someone on the radio stated that lower back pain had a lot to do with a lack of O2 in the system. now when i experience severe pain i take myself outside and start breathing deeply for a short period and this really helps. i thought at first it was a fluke but repeated testing has shown it to help in my case. you must breathe with the stomach and not the torso for best results . give it a try and post your experiences.
yes geoff
|

replied January 30th, 2009
Same problem
I have the same problem as every post above (except for the one that said he got cancer from this problem).

I really think it has something to do with the way food is getting down and not digesting properly.
I dont know if anyone has tried this but Cayanne Peppers really help with this problem.
|

replied February 14th, 2009
lower back pain too
i get pain in the lower back too, sometimes the pain is more severe on my left.

I'm 26 this year, female. In my younger years, i was a sports person. However, when i started working about 3 yrs ago, I have stopped excercising almost completely.

2 years ago, i get allergy reaction to foods that I have never been allergic to. My lower back now also aches after i have a meal outside (Most of the time, it's chinese food). When i drink alcohol, i turn white instead of pink.

I have a friend who is undergoing treatment for her kidney problems, said that it sounds like my kidneys & liver are not comfortable
with the food/drinks i consume. Sometimes, when i drink coffee, i can smell coffee in my urine.

Most doctors will tell you there's nothing seriously wwrong. I don't believe them.

So i've started to cut down on flavoured drinks (just drinking plain water), eat at home, started jogging 2x a week, and avoid my usual titbits and preserved foods(my fav), and i do drastic improvements to my backaches. basically, by adopting a healthier diet, the kidneys & liver are less stressed out, and hence, don't cause so much pain. and it sure sounds like a lifetime committment.

see if this helps.
|

replied May 16th, 2009
Digestive enzymes helped my lower back pain.
Ive experienced lower back pain sometime after eating a heavy meal, before bed or fatty,greasy food. symptoms mostly occured during my sleep or standing up in a line for some time. My gi Doctor insisted it was a slipped disk but xrays showed no signs yet my back felt strong. I took pain reliever to help at night with little results. I finally took advise from a friend, Digestive enzymes and probotics. Never felt better!!! I cant see how this would help a slipped disk?? Im looking further into this and considering having my gallbladder checked.
|

replied June 26th, 2009
SALVO
I HAD BACK PAIN FOR 3 YEARS WHICH OCCURED AT NIGHT AND MORNINGS WHEN WAKING / OR STANDING IN LINE FOR A WHILE. WENT TO GASTRO, AFTER A DOZEN TEST HE FOUND NOTHING, SAID IT MAY BE A SLIPPED DISK. HAD THAT CHECKED AND WAS TOLD NOTHING. I TRIED DIGESTIVE ENZYMES ALONG WITH PROBIOTICS. THE PAIN WAS GONE AFTER 4-5 DAYS. IT WORKED!
|
Users who thank SALVO for this post: Suedeb 

User Profile
replied June 26th, 2009
Supporter
Salvo,

Can you please tell me which digestive enzymes and probiotics you took?? I was thinking Irritable Bowel Syndrome when reading through most of these posts. I would like to try what you have taken to see if it helps me. Thanks!
|

replied July 29th, 2009
I have also have the same problem that began today. It was after eating a fatty meal. This is the first time it's happened. After eating I am noticing a really bad sharp pain in the lower left corner of my back. It is really bad for at least 20 minutes and then starts to wane. At the moment, three hours after eating, I would say the pain is 3 out of ten.
I should say that I have begun to eat elthier foods and exercising, but am not giving up on all bad foods. I had pizza on the weekend which did not cause this issue. But today it is.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
|
12 >>