Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Is Any One Allergic to Caterpillars???plz I Need Som Info...

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
Every time I touch or get touched by a caterpillar I break out in hives..I have not been tested by a doctor...To me it sounds weird to go in there and say I think im allergic to caterpillars....

Is this possible????

Question
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper shrek
|

replied June 26th, 2008
caterpillar allergies
I need answers to the same questions! My almost 3 yr. old daughter loves caterpillars & is covered in a rash which is the worst on her hands after holing them. The doctors don't know...
|

replied September 17th, 2008
Catterpillar Allergies
I AM allergic to catterpillars! IDK whY! it's stupid! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
|

replied March 3rd, 2009
Im 14 and I am allergic to catterpillars too and it sucks because I am in marching band and during the summer there are tons of them on the feild and my freakish friends always try shoving them in my face. I went to the doctor and because it's supposedly not to bad on me even though I get head to toe hive, and I literally mean head to toe, but she told me to wash my skin immedietly after touching one, shocker I know, and then put anti-fungal cream and an anti-itch spray on it...but you have to be carefull to prevent chemical burn. I hope this helps at least a little.
|

replied March 13th, 2009
I'm 27 years old. Allergic to Caterpillars and have always been. I had allergy shots for 5 years and it never helped that particular allergy. I haven't touched one since I was about 10, but don't plan on touching one every again. I would break out in hives... I once scratched my eye and my whole eye swell shut and had to go to the doctor. I also had one fall down my back once without knowing, having my back break out in hives...
|

replied July 27th, 2009
I am also allergic to catapillars...I also would play with them when I was a kid and when me and my parents noticed how badly I would break out in hives and painful sores I soon learned to avoid them!
|

replied September 2nd, 2009
I have been allergic to caterpillars since I was a child. I don't need to touch it, all I have to do is be exposed to the "fuzz" and I break out. Also, my daughter has touched them then touched me and I broke out in a rash.
|

replied September 9th, 2009
I have a bad reaction from a caterpillar sting. It accured on Monday. I have a Dr. appt. today. How long does the rash last? I am still breaking out (bumps) which has spreaded and also appearing in other parts of my body.

Orleans Girl
|

replied September 11th, 2009
yup it happens...my 8 year old so much as touches the fuzz and gets the "head to toe" hives...i thought my wife was crazy when she told me cause i have all sorts of allergies but have no problems with cattapillers...but maybe the mailman was allergic to them, who knows.
|

replied October 4th, 2009
My children are both allergic to catepillars it seems...
I am so glad to have found this because both my son and my daughter broke out in hives after "playing" with a catepillar one day last week. My son was much worse than my daughter - one of his eyes swelling shut. Both got hives and were VERY itchy. We have been treating with Benadryl and Clariting and they're FINALLY clearing up and it's a week later. Doctors were STUMPED. It makes me feel better to know there are others.
|

replied January 5th, 2010
You are not alone. I have been allergic to caterpillars for over 35 years. I can't get near them. I broke out once and haven't gone near them since. My wife thinks I'm crazy that I am terrified of these little things. If you want to join a support group check out Facebook page, "I'm allergic to caterpillars and no understands."
|

replied July 8th, 2010
allergic to caterpillars? here is a solution
Hi guys,
My name is effron. I used to live in countryside when i was a child. We lived there for 14 years. Now i'm 22. That place was full trees and forests. I used to play with my brothers in the under the trees. One day, all of a sudden i had itching sensation on my face. Then it became red and within few hours i had my face and body covered with red rashes and hives. Then my mom took some water in a glass and added salt into that. She applied that water on the places where i had these hives or rashes. Then i felt asleep. When i woke up, the rashes and hives were disappeared. I got recovered. I donno how come my mom know that this wud b treated in a simple method. She is uneducated. but she knows how to cure this. As long as we were there(in that village), sometimes i used to get the same symptoms again and again in winter. So beware of winter. This is becoz, i used to get exposed to caterpillars. I never even touched a caterpillar. A single spike of caterpillar may also cause such a huge problem. I used to get exposed to the air where the caterpillar were. Then i realized that im hypersensitive to caterpillars. Whenever i had these rashes in winter,, i used to apply salt water on those hives. Now we moved to city. We have been living here since 5 years. I never had even a single rash or hive on my body. Because now im living away from trees and woods. Check it out. It works.
|

replied October 21st, 2010
I am allergic to the "spit fire" caterpillars! they some how get caught in my clothes. i just recently moved house and over the last few weeks in particular they have been getting caught to my clothes!

i am not allergic to anything and have never had a reaction like this before. each other time i have had them caught in my clothes i broke out in hives. each time it happened it got more severe!

last night i had just had a shower when i put on clothes. within seconds my body was covered in hives. The hairs on the caterpillar sting your skin which is why this reaction occurs. I have never reacted like this before so i went straight to the chemist to get something for it. they geave me antihystamines which make me drousy. but on my way to the pharmacy i began to feel really anxious and tight in my chest. i began to panic and couldn't breath. i am now severely allergic and all my friends laughed at me at first because who wouldve thought you could be allergic to caterpillars?!?! well in my case it's really severe.
|

replied March 13th, 2011
Caterpillar Sting Treatment
My son (aged 13) is allergic to caterpillars and now I keep an EpiPen (adrenalin injection applied to the thigh) in the house as if he is stung on the neck or face the swelling could close his airways. The advice I got was 1)use Scotch tape over the affected area several times to remove the caterpillar hairs, 2)apply ice pack, 3)give antihistamines or 4)apply EpiPen immediately if any area around his airways begins to swell up.
|

replied March 17th, 2011
I am 20 and i'm allergic to caterpillars too. it first happened 2 years ago when i was serving in the national service. right now, i am suffering again. the day before my birthday i went to the beach and i saw a caterpillar. i took note about that and stayed away from the caterpillar the whole time. the next day i woke up, all excited for my birthday and voila! there i was covered with the hives. it's been 4 days and at this moment, i'm still itching *sigh*. i took piriton (chlorpheniramine maleate) but it doesnt seem to be good enough. i think loratidine would be better. i even had a jab and applied Betnesone-G cream but looks like its not good enough.. i think i'll try the salt water out soon
|

replied April 10th, 2011
allergic to caterpillars
My 5 year old son is allergic to fuzzy caterpillars and has gotten a rash every year since he was 1 from them. This year it is noticeably worse and the Dr. actually tried to convince me that he has scabies because she has never seen caterpillars do something like this. We did get a cream that helps with the itching and I am regularly giving him Benedryl and not allowing him outside at all until those nasty bugs are gone. I was wondering if allergy shots might help but it sounds like probably not. I guess my poor kid will be spending a few weeks inside every year from here on out or we will have to move somewhere where the caterpillars do not live!
|

replied May 23rd, 2011
My 9 yr. old son is allergic to caterpillars
I am so glad to have found this post. My 9 yr old son broke out the day after Mother's day with a head to toe rash and a swollen face. He missed a week of school and was on a steroid pill and cream to help with the swelling and itching. Someone mentioned to me over a week later that their child had broken out like that once before after they played with a caterpillar. I then had my Ah Ha momment. My youngest son and his cousin had been playing with a caterpillar on Mother's Day. I asked my 9 yr old if he played with it also and he said yes. I am convinced that he is allergice to them. I would never in a million years have even considered it. Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories.
|

replied December 5th, 2011
Experienced User
My eldest daughter, now 35, was playing with a caterpillar one day when she was two. Then she broke out in spots all over and I had a nurse come check on her. We did not realize that she was allergic to the caterpillar but she was and now over the years she gets some funny allergies to things that others don't.
|

replied June 12th, 2012
You people do realist that some caterpillars are poisonous and can sting you. The ones that are furry are the one you need to avoid. There fur is actually laced in poison which causes all the skin problems that have already been mentioned.

Here's a few tips to help ease the pain:

1. Place Scotch tape, cellophane tape, or duct tape over the site of the sting. Strip off repeatedly. This will remove the spines, hairs, and toxins. But each time you place the tape on, use a new piece, to avoid adding to the sting.

2. Wash the injured area using soap and water. Wash the injured area using soap and water.[10] Remove all contaminated clothing and wash in hot water.

3. If you don't have an ice pack, frozen food works admirably Apply an ice pack to the stinging area after washing it. When the stinging sensation has reduced (check after 1520 minutes), apply a paste made from baking soda and water.

Source: http://www.wikihow.com/Treat-a-Caterpillar -Sting
|

replied October 25th, 2012
Caterpillar Allergy
Wow.. Till this day I thought I was the only one allergic to caterpillers. I touch one and I get a burning rash. Also oneime I put a shoe on with a caterpillar in it and my foot swelled. I found that benedryl works best to control the rash.
|

replied October 25th, 2012
Caterpillar Allergy
Wow.. Till this day I thought I was the only one allergic to caterpillers. I touch one and I get a burning rash. Also oneime I put a shoe on with a caterpillar in it and my foot swelled. I found that benedryl works best to control the rash.
|