Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Pain After a Filling? (Page 1)

I'm very upset that the filling I had done 5 days ago(white filling on my upper molar), is still bothering me with a dull, constant ache. And when I drink or eat hot or cold, I get a sharp shooting pain in that tooth. I did see the same dentist yesterday to have him check this out, and all he did was do an adjustment to file some of the filling down, that he said was a little high on the tooth. Then he told me,that sometimes it takes a couple of weeks for the filling to settle in, so it might still bother me for that couple of weeks. But if after a couple of weeks, my tooth still bothers me, to go back to him for an xray on the tooth. Has anyone else had to go through this? Should I not wait the whole two weeks and see another dentist? This is really making me mad!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Texasbabsi
|

replied June 29th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Tooth Sensitivity
Please don't be angry!It is very common for a tooth to be sensitive after a filling-especially a tooth colored one.Your nerve may be"upset" after all that work and needs some time to calm down.Usually the tooth recovers and is just fine.I doubt if you see another dentist they'll do anything different.Did your dentist advise you to take any otc pain meds??If so,take them and be patient.Good luck!!!
|

replied October 3rd, 2011
There may be some infection developed after filling.Consult your Dentist regarding this.
|

replied November 2nd, 2013
What I see mostly on this forum is uninformed consent still continuing from dentists not informing their patients that 'silver' fillings are indeed primarily made of mercury and that mercury is the most toxic element on the periodic table of elements in chemistry that is not radioactive. Mercury does not become stable just because it is mixed with other metals.
The post dental pain has little to do with the composite filling used, but rather some of the methodologies described. First cardinal rule....never, ever allow a dentist to do work on both sides of your mouth in one day-don't cross the midline. I see many example here complaining after doing left and right sides. Drilling a tooth or old filling out is trauma to that organ. We forget that teeth are organs and living organs with a blood supply. So a filling is tooth surgery.
I too, have suffered from post filling trigeminal nerve pain and it has caused me to grind, swell, live on ibuprofen, attach an ice bag and heat alternately in my face and bite the inside of my mouth and grind my teeth-neither of which i had done in years.
Call your dentist right away jn a civil manner. Request a bite check, he should also ensure there is no leftover string or cotton, etc still packed in the gumline. Take an X-ray to rule out infection. Checking the bite is key and very gently (less is more) adjusting the bite. The reality is if you had no pain before, then the filling needs to be ground down slightly, not the opposing tooth. Be patient and communicate as well as you can. The dentist should adjust minimally or it can just move the bite problem to another area.
|

replied June 19th, 2014
I'm joining this thread in 2014. So sorry to hear about such a lot of pain, apparently caused by dentistry. I had all my mercury fillings replaced, over time, and had no pain at all. Just changed dentists, went for one filling - no pain but it needed replacing - and now I have intermittent, sometimes severe pain in the affected tooth, pain on hot and cold - sometimes it is very painful. Iatrogenesis. Look it up - useful word for our times. I think I am going to go back to my old dentist - even though it's an hour and half drive. Can't believe I may have this pain for the rest of my life - caused by the dentist. Not intending to let him do anything else - grinding down teeth, root canal etc. after reading here. Ho hum. I thought I was looking after myself.
|

replied July 16th, 2014
Hi unburdyne, very sorry to hear about your bad experience! Fillings should give relief and not pain! I had a similar experience, but for a dental implant. They charged me more than 5000 dollars and they did an horrible job. Now I am looking for dentistry abroad, as it seems to be the smartest solution for having good dental care with affordable costs. A friend of mine went to Mexico and had some dentistry work there, he didn't also organise nothing, the guys took care of everything, quite nice solution though, and he did a nice vacation as well. I post here the link, of the tooth fillings page, as an example. I think that medical tourism can be a good approach to save money and maintain quality, what do you think about it?
|

replied December 9th, 2013
I AM VERY THANKFUL TO SEE ALL THESE POSTS. GOT A FILLING IN MY LOWER WISDOM TOOTH LAST WEEK THAT HAS NOT STOPPED ACHING. ALTHOUGH SHE TOLD ME IT WAS SMALL CACITY - IT WAS DEEP & THE DDS REALLY DRILLED INTO ME.
LETS NOT EVEN TALK ABOUT THE VERY PAINFUL NOVICANE INJECTION. IT TOOK 4 HRS TO WEAR OFF.
BUT THE NEXT DAY I WAS IN PAIN. THE DAY AFTER I WENT IN & THEY SAID IT WAS NORMAL. BUT HERE IT IS 5 DAYS LATER 5AM IN THE MORNING & I AM UP WITH THE PAIN. STARTED THINIKING I WAS IN BIG TROUBLE OR BEING A BIG BABY ABOUT IT. BUT AFTER SEEING THESE POSTS I GUESS I JUST NEED TO BE PATIENT WITH MY NEW BF IBUPROFEN & WAIT.
I WILL GIVE IT ANOTHER WEEK &SEE WHAT HAPPENS. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU OUT THERE. HELPS TO KNOW I AM NOT ALONE.
|

replied December 9th, 2013
I AM VERY THANKFUL TO SEE ALL THESE POSTS. GOT A FILLING IN MY LOWER WISDOM TOOTH LAST WEEK THAT HAS NOT STOPPED ACHING. ALTHOUGH SHE TOLD ME IT WAS SMALL CACITY - IT WAS DEEP & THE DDS REALLY DRILLED INTO ME.
LETS NOT EVEN TALK ABOUT THE VERY PAINFUL NOVICANE INJECTION. IT TOOK 4 HRS TO WEAR OFF.
BUT THE NEXT DAY I WAS IN PAIN. THE DAY AFTER I WENT IN & THEY SAID IT WAS NORMAL. BUT HERE IT IS 5 DAYS LATER 5AM IN THE MORNING & I AM UP WITH THE PAIN. STARTED THINIKING I WAS IN BIG TROUBLE OR BEING A BIG BABY ABOUT IT. BUT AFTER SEEING THESE POSTS I GUESS I JUST NEED TO BE PATIENT WITH MY NEW BF IBUPROFEN & WAIT.
I WILL GIVE IT ANOTHER WEEK &SEE WHAT HAPPENS. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU OUT THERE. HELPS TO KNOW I AM NOT ALONE.
|

replied September 5th, 2004
Tooth Problem
I am a dental assistant, and I too have had that same problem after a filling. Mine too was a tooth colored filling, called a composite. After several months of a lot of cold and pressure sensitivity, and after getting the bite adjusted, another dentist friend of mine removed the old filling and put another in with a soothing agent in the base of the new filling. I had so much relief! To this day, my friend and I think that there was a bubble that was trapped in the filling material while they were curing it. The concept is that the dentist will etch your tooth with an acid material to make the area more pourous so that the material will bond better. The dentist then places a clear coat of bonding agent in the tooth prep, and shines a uv light on it to cure it. Then he places the filling, which is a gummy tooth color matched to your tooth color. If it is a big filling, it is customary to "cure" in several layers to avoid getting a bubble. If the dentist placed the material in one big glob, then you might have gotten a bubble in the material, and from my experience is not good. If you are still hurting, go back to your dentist and suggest an x-ray to check the root of the tooth to make sure that it isn't dying (needs a root canal) if not, have him just replace the filling with a sedative in the base of it. Good luck! Jenn jenn
|

replied October 2nd, 2011
Thank you for this, I'm going to get mine replaced!
|

replied February 16th, 2012
Actually they fill it in several layers because the curing light cannot penetrate more than 2 mm. Composite resin material used for filling teeth hardens (cures) when light of a certain wavelength activates it. If you place too much material at once, the material underneath will not cure properly. It has nothing to do with air getting trapped in the filling. Any air would be expelled when the composite resin is adapted to the tooth preparation.

Though they are very tough and stone-like on the outside, teeth are living tissues. There are many nerves in your teeth. When there is deep decay or fractures in a tooth, and they need to be prepared close to the pulp for repair, the tissue can get inflamed. Unfortunately, because the soft tissue (nerves, blood vessels) that supply the teeth are surrounded by hard tissues (tooth and bone), they do not have room to swell like other soft tissues in your body can. Inflammation from the irritation can build up a lot of pressure and make those nerves very sensitive.

No one likes dental pain, but we all experience it to some degree when we need dental work and after it is complete. The degree of pain varies from person to person, the depth of the decay and/ or filling, the the anatomy of the tooth and its surrounding structures, and it can even vary within one person depending on changes in their body chemistry or psychological state. Dentists experience dental pain too, and they don't like it either.
|
Users who thank moradog for this post: callmely 

replied October 17th, 2004
Pain Filling
I had a white filling put in and it was painful for about 6 mths.I took advil.It finally went away.My kids have had white fillings which came out and had to be refilled
|

replied April 1st, 2012
After reading all of these complaints about the white filling composites, why are dentists pushing the white fillings? Are they making more money? I read that the FDA/ADA prefer patients to get the silver fillings because there has been 100 years research with them that do no harm even the mercury in them b/c the mercury becomes stable when bonded with other elements!!! Think I might get the white one replaced with another silver one if I can depending how much of the tooth has already been drilled away : (
|

replied August 24th, 2012
White fillings
I actually asked my dentist if I can't rather have a silver filling again as I've also had so much pain with the white filling, but it wasn't an available option. I agree I'd much rather have a silver pain free filling than a pretty white painfull one.
|

replied August 28th, 2012
The silver one is really not silver at all. It is 50-55% MERCURY by volume! I am a dental assistant and after about 10 years most teeth with amalgam (the proper term for these silver colored mercury fillings) end up fracturing because the amalgam expands and contracts at a rate different from that of the tooth. And a fractured tooth costs much more to fix and much more pain than simply going to a high quality dentist and getting the procedures done the proper way!
|

replied September 12th, 2012
As a dental researcher I would have to disagree. The mercury content is NO WERE CLOSE TO 50-55% you indicate. It is less than 5% according to the FDA in a stable bond form. Please get you facts correct before adding to the anti-amalgam rant. Google amalgam myths and facts for the correct non-biased information based on literature reviews of hundreds of papers.

Also composites do not 'hold teeth together' as you suggest and that amalgams 'cause fractures'. Amalgams have been around for 150years and, if this was true, everyone would have broken and fractured teeth as composites have only been around since the 1970's. Composites are plastics and also 'expand and contract' at a rate that is different from the tooth. Again please check your facts as people use sites like this to get information not your opinion
|

replied October 31st, 2012
Hey Tedds,

No need to be so condescending in your comment. I quickly Googled this and found several peer reviewed papers stating mercury content around 42% by weight in most dental amalgam. I'm guessing your FDA paper was talking about content by volume. Because mercury is 2-4 times as massive per volume compared to the other elements in the amalgam, I could see it being 5% mercury content by volume. So...you're both right! And you're acting like a jerk for no reason.

Adam
|

replied January 14th, 2013
As a customer who had this silver fillings, I can tell you that kioharu is right and you tedds are totally wrong! And customer who had silver fillings I am very disappointed about your reply here. Because it's against customers health. SO PLEASE CHECK YOUR FACTS before you disseminate false information here!

I had filled 2 tooth with silver (amalgam). It was 20 years ago. And I hate that day every day in my life when I was agreed to open my mouth and fill it with amalgams. Because 10 years later both my filled teeth was totally broken and fractured. And dentist said that there is nothing to save anymore. Only option is take both teeth out!!! I didnot let to do that. Because there I don't have pain there. Probably nerves are dead. But 20 years later one tooth is totally cone now. And other one had 30% left.

My wife had silver filling too. Tooth is broken now because that filling again.

Many my friends who had silver fillings had same problem - broken teeth!

So, MR TEEDS! GO AND CHECK YOUR FACTS BEFORE YOU SPREAD MORE LIES HERE! I really hate liars like you!

Do not listen teeds! Silver fillings causing mroe problems in future!
|

replied June 24th, 2014
That's good to know. I have heard different things. I have heard that it could take a couple of weeks, a month and now up to six months. I have been taking tylenol type of stuff for my tooth pain from have a deep cavity filled for about a week and a half now. the pain is almost non existent sometimes and a dull pain sometimes but not anything sharp. My tooth is sensitive to cold and hot( sometimes the hot, not always). I am a wimp when it comes to pain, though.
|

replied November 22nd, 2004
Pain After a Filling
I have the same problem with both a bottom and top tooth. I have a lot of cold, heat and pressure sensitivity. I've gotten the bite adjusted, and acid placed on the fillings but nothing has helped. I've gone back to the dentist three times already and still have not felt relief. They took x-rays and said everything looks fine. The dentist just keeps telling me to go back if I still have pain and honestly i'm sick of it. I dread going to the dentist and have been putting up with the pain to avoid going there and take the time out of my busy schedule to go. I think this is a bad problem out there with filling replacements and would like to encourage everyone with the same problem to post a message so we can truly see how bad it is and begin an investigation. Dentists are making money replacing good existing fillings and creating new problems. Please post something if you're experiencing pain after a replacement of an old filling for a new clear/white filling.
|
Users who thank Duilia79 for this post: TarDy 

replied April 23rd, 2011
There's a real flaw!
I came online to see if there were any answers to why I'm having so much pain after my fillings were done a few weeks ago. I had no idea this would be such a well documented problem. Obviously there is a major flaw in modern dental techniques if the procedures designed to fix our dental problems are themselves the cause of excessive pain and suffering. I have never experienced tooth pain like this before. It's actually 4:00am and the 3rd time tonight I've been woken from my sleep with the pain. This is unacceptable!
|

User Profile
replied August 31st, 2011
Pain after new composite
I was having pain in the top right last molar for three weeks
the dentist took an ex ray all looked well
the tooth did not appear to have any problem
so the Dentist suggests to remove the old filling and look to see if there is any fracture or cracks. None found so he decides to remove old metal filling and replace with composite. no dental coverage had to pay $350. when I got home I took it easy ...when the freezing wore off I was in extreme pain so I thought to give it a few days to settle down.Well its over a week and ths sharp strong pain is still here especially from a glass of even cool water but cold or hot food causes extreme pain which lasts around 2 hours I dont even want eat and feel depressed ,Will I have to pay another #$350.00 Did he do the wrong tooth?. I think their may have been nothing wrong with that one he did and messed it up worse or he maybe should have worked on the tooth beside that one ,All I know is it really hurts and why should I pay more if the problem was not solved
|

replied February 7th, 2012
dentist
i just had 6 filling and 3 are hurting that were amalgum said they were leaking . cost me $1900
|

replied September 26th, 2011
Sensitive Filling
Okay...just had a filling done two weeks ago. I have had intermittent pain...sensitive to pressure and hot and cold. When he was doing the filling, he was really hitting a nerve and used Novacaine twice. I could have used a third! What frightens me is that I am getting aching in the jaw and lower gums in front. So odd. I'm worried about this being some precursor to trigeminal neuralgia and it's irreversible.
|

replied October 2nd, 2011
After reading all this, I'm getting my new white fillings taken out and replace them with the silver ones. I can't eat with the pain. So it has to be done.
|

replied April 27th, 2012
I am having the same issue!!
I had 2 fillings done 5 months ago and I am still in pain after being in to have a bite adjustment done by two different dentists. I began grinding my teeth at night due to the high fillings and has caused horrible aching pain in my jaw. After the last I was in to have it adjusted, I am finally feeling some relief. I was on a constant intake of otc pain meds every 8-12 hours or else I just could not function. Honestly, I am thinking of suing the original dentist. I have never had pain in my mouth....EVER! This is unacceptable. I am sorry for what you are going through...I literally feel your pain. The same thing happened to me by the way..When I was haveing the fillings done, he was hitting a nerve real bad as well and he had already given me 3 shots!! The two fillings that he did were little to begin with and he wasn't even sure if he was even going to fill them. Now I wish I wouldn't have let him because I have been in pain 24/7 for the past 5 months! Good luck! I hope your pain goes away soon and you figure out your problem.
|

replied December 11th, 2012
Pain After A Filling?
Same with me! I have never had pain! I just went to the dentist a week ago, and she told me that my amalgam fills are bad and had to be replaced. She had made the white ones and from that day on I can not eat normally. I fill pain mostly on pressure. I am very very frustrated.
|

replied November 22nd, 2012
Pain in Jaw and gums
Hi Texasbabsi.
I just read you're post and ita exactly what i am experiencing now. I see its been over a year. What did you find out? Did it go away? Are you still in pain?
|

replied November 22nd, 2012
Hi Texasbabsi.
I just read you're post and ita exactly what i am experiencing now. I see its been over a year. What did you find out? Did it go away? Are you still in pain?
|

replied June 24th, 2014
I had a filling about a week and a half ago and am also experiencing some aching in my jaw also. interesting that this kind of thing is happening to quite a number of people
|

replied April 30th, 2011
I've had the same problem and I am so angry. I went to a dentist for a checkup and my #25 tooth had a bit of grey colour. I think this was an old silver filling discolouring. There was no pain. I had that replaced and the dentist said I should have #26 the tooth next to it refilled too. I had no pain with this but she said I may has well do this while I'm here. I assumed there was something wrong so agreed. Since then I have not been able to chew on that tooth. She replaced silver filling with white, when I bite down on something hard it hurts like hell. Never had this problem before. I've been back 4 times to the dentist and demanded to see the most senior one. The last time he replaced the whole thing again. I've just bit into a seed and it hurt like hell. I'm so angry, I don't think the fillings needed replacing in the first place and now the first Dentist has damaged my tooth. Why else would it hurt now when it never hurt before?? I think dentists tell you that you need work done and really you don't. No wonder people hate going to see the dentist. I wish I'd kept my old silver fillings and never listened to the dentist.
|

replied July 8th, 2011
Sensitive tooth after filling
I am having the same problem as you. I am so frustrated. I used to be the one who could eat icecream without barely any sensitivity or brainfreeze and drink the hottest cup of coffee. NOW I have to chew and swallow everything on the right side of my mouth. I went to the dentist for a routine cleaning/xrays and my old filling was supposedly breaking. So they filled it with composite without telling me there would be an adverse reaction. This is over a month later and growing pain. I went back and he filed it down and says to come back if pain persists...what the heck!?! I didn't have ANY problems before...I'm so frustrated and dont believe he was doing his job but infact trying to make money. So ridiculous.
|

replied December 28th, 2011
I had a white filling done November 8th. Ever since I haven't been able to chew on that side of my mouth, or floss between that tooth because it hurts so bad. The dentist referred me to a specialist and I was told I'd probably need a root canal. I agree with that dental assistant, I want to try replacing the filling first! Cause no one said forsure that the root was dying. In fact, the dentist said the x-ray looked fine and he had no idea what was wrong! I don't want to go spend 1,050 on a root canal, when that dentist needs to redo this for free. Even if it doesn't help, he can prove me wrong. I went back 3 times for it to be filed down. Really? I didn't have problems before either and this cavity was so small they werent even sure it was one!
|

replied April 1st, 2012
I also had a silver filling replace with a white composite filling. I went to one dentist that said that I needed all three silver fillings replaced due to them having mercury (which is a big joke because online it says that mercury become innocuous when bonded with all kinds of other metals) So I went to another dentist for a second oppinion he said that the silver fillings should be re-done because they are turning grayish around the filling which means that decay is starting to develop under the silver filling. So 10 days ago I had the one silver filling replaced. It was very sore for a day after I got it done. I was swollen for about three days around the cheek and I was black and blue around the cheek for about week. 10 days later finally the black and blue went down and just a tiny bit am i sensitive to when i eat on that side. I'm hoping though that in a couple more days it won't be sensitive at all...If it is, i'll let you know and am going to be really pissed with the dentist...Just hoping i can eat a good steak one day back on that tooth : (
|

replied August 28th, 2012
Well, you referenced the fact that the mercury becomes harmless ONLINE, Do you really believe the internet is a reliable source, especially compared to a trained professional?
|

Yes it does become harmless. All studies indicate this including those by the WHO and international health studies (USA, Canada, Great Britain). Again read amalgam myths and facts. Everyone worries about the mercury but nobody talks about the approx 20-30 known toxins (mutagen, teratogen etc) that are leaching from composite fillings that are PLASTIC. We all know plastics leach chemicals in landfills why are we placing them in peoples mouths????

Please note that according to all stats we have both materials are safe in the amounts they are used according to the WHO (Composites or Amalgams). However there will always be a debate on any 'chemical' we use
|

replied January 14th, 2013
Like I wrote before there! Yes this mercury stuff can be harmless. BUT IT*S BROKE your teeth! And it's not myth! It's confirmed fact. Just go and check people who had fillings 10-25 years ago. Teeth are broken because your stupid amalgam!

People who spread lies that amalgam is harmless need to put in JAIL! It's broke your teeth! Confirmed by so many customers today!
|

replied June 17th, 2012
This is exactly what happened to me - see my other post on this page. I went in for a checkup and they said I needed two fillings redone, tho there was absolutely no pain.

As I was in the chair for 1.5 hours, getting two fillings drilled out, I could not help think of the additional risk with vaporizing the old silver/merc amalgum, inhaling it (you see the fine mist coming out of the mouth into breathing zone) AND swallowing some of it. No matter how much they suck the junk out, some has to go down. The notion that you need these dangerous old fillings our because of the mercury is a case of the cure being worse than the disease.

My advise is never to agree to replacement of old fillings unless they are bothering you. You may need them redone, but not just for the heck of it as preventive therapy.
|

Waiting for a 'filling to hurt' is not the best. Teeth only hurt when it is too late and the decay is close to the nerve. This is a common misconception that you should wait till it hurts. IF you do your in for a root canal or an extraction. Prevention is the best medicine and catching decay early prevents sensitivity and tooth loss
|

replied August 18th, 2011
constant headache after gum line fillings
I have had this same filling put along my gum line going on a month ago, and have had a constant headache since leaving the dentist office. Ive been taking Ibuprofen and Acetaminophin ever since. I just began antibiotics yesterday hoping I have a sinus infection. This has become very draining on me and quite depressing.
|

replied March 26th, 2012
Same here, They filled 6 of my teeth with that white stuff and ever since about 2 weeks now - I've been a pill junkie. I have had to wake up at night to take pills just to avoid the pain. I've had my bite re-adjusted 2 times but to no avail. Please advise if you ever get releif and what you did
|

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2012
I had 3 composite fillings done about 6 weeks ago now (2 weeks after yours) I'm hoping you've found relief by now, but if not I'd recommend ibuprofen (600-800mg). It seems to have helped me. I had two moderate fillings that seemed to desensitize, to almost normal, in about 3 weeks. And then a multi-surface, rather deep filling that is still giving me a jaw-ache and is extremely sensitive to hot, cold, and pressure. I returned to the dentist once for an "emergency visit" and he said to wait, since it was such a large/deep filling it may take several weeks to desensitize. He took an x-ray and said it doesn't look like the nerve is affected, but if the pain doesn't subside he will refer my to an endodontist (root canal specialist) to see if there's nerve damage. I had heard from one of the hygienists that she's seen some people who haven't been able to eat or drink without pain for several months after composite fillings. I guess it's just a waiting game for now...
Good luck, and I hope your pain's subsided.
|

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2012
I had 3 composite fillings done about 6 weeks ago now (2 weeks after yours) I'm hoping you've found relief by now, but if not I'd recommend ibuprofen (600-800mg). It seems to have helped me. I had two moderate fillings that seemed to desensitize, to almost normal, in about 3 weeks. And then a multi-surface, rather deep filling that is still giving me a jaw-ache and is extremely sensitive to hot, cold, and pressure. I returned to the dentist once for an "emergency visit" and he said to wait, since it was such a large/deep filling it may take several weeks to desensitize. He took an x-ray and said it doesn't look like the nerve is affected, but if the pain doesn't subside he will refer my to an endodontist (root canal specialist) to see if there's nerve damage. I had heard from one of the hygienists that she's seen some people who haven't been able to eat or drink without pain for several months after composite fillings. I guess it's just a waiting game for now...
Good luck, and I hope your pain's subsided.
|

replied June 17th, 2012
Composite fillings should be outlawed if only half the problems noted here are true!
|

replied January 18th, 2013
I Had 8 Done In One Day And ExperiencedThe Same Thing Everyone Is Describing. But I Started Using Sensodyne Pronamel And The Pain Stopped A Week Later. Now It Is The Only Toothpaste I Use And Have No Issues.
|

replied January 17th, 2012
filling sensitivity and issues?
I have gone to the same dentist for over 15 years and they are absolutely incredible! their slogan is "we cater to cowards" unfortunately they do not take dental HMO plans like Delta. I hesitantly switched dentists to one that accepts my Delta plan and im honestly really pissed. I have never had a cavity in my life, the first time i went there they said i have 4 cavities, i was scheduled on 2 different appointments to have them filled, the first round went fine, i came back in and they said "oh wait you have another one that needs to be filled we didnt see the first time (on xray and camera). ever since that 2nd visit i have had sever cold sensitivity and my bite doesn't seem right. i called and they immediately are referring me to get a root canal. The issue i am having is it seems like they are ordering anything and everything they can to bill my provider. has anyone ever heard of a "gum flush" ive NEVER been told i needed one and conveniently during my cleaning they said they were giving me one and charged me an extra $35, and used some syringe to inject some mouthwash tasting stuff in between my teeth! needless to say, im biting the bullet and going back to my old dentist. has anyone else noticed dentists accepting insurance ordering more procedures than those that do not or is this just in my head?
|

replied February 1st, 2012
Hi, I am only 22 and I am having the exact problems you are ! Do you have or did you have delta dental insurance? Because I think they are a joke!....I have comfort dental for my dentist. Who did you have? My mom recently found out never go to what they call a CHAIN DENTIST....u know with lots of facilities under same company like my comort dental. Always get a private dentist. From what I am hearing on this site though...I don't know how much hope that even is. All I know is I keep having problems and I am about to just say screw it and get dentured just so I don't have to deal with pain for no reason anymore bc I keep taking pain med. So let me know. Good luck.
|

replied March 20th, 2013
Hi Fishman86, I had the same experience many times. One time, I wanted to get my teeth cleaned, but my own dentist did not accept any insurance. Since my insurance covered the cleaning, I thought I will use it. I picked a dentist from my plan. He told me that in order to get the cleaning, he needs to do a complete exam. I did not want to get that done, but I thought ok, it won't hurt me either. He looked at the x-ray pictures, and started to act like I have the worst problems he ever seen. Seriously, in Hollywood, he would be nominated for an Oscar. And he told me that I need several root canals and oral surgeries due to I have lots of cavities under my gum. I got scared even I did not have any pain, so I went back to my own dentist and asked for a complete exam. He told me I have no problem at all and everything is fine. And it was many years ago. Not to mention the price he wanted to charge me plus what he would charge from the insurance. So yes, some of the would change your entire head to make some money. And when you need a simple filling, they like tell you that you need a root canal and they would show it to you on the x-ray that this is a problem (that many people can't read like me since I do not have a training in it). This happened to me recently too. I hope you found by now a nice dentist who does not try to talk you into extra things that you don't need.
|

replied October 5th, 2012
don't do it
I'm experiencing terrible pain and sensitivity after replacing an old silver filling. I can't not even chew. I'm in a lot of pain. After replacing of an old silver filling with a white filling.
Don't replace your old silver filling, it they don't hurt leave them alone. Don't make the same mistake I made. Doctors don't explain anything. They just want to make money at any cost. They don't care.
|

replied December 17th, 2012
I recently had my filling replaced. A doctor thought the tooth had a cavity underneath, so he opened it - turned out there was no cavity. I always had white filling and never felt this tooth before, but now I feel it every now and then. I hope that it will overcome unnecessary stress caused, and won't become a candidate for a root canal. After he put the new filling in he said, "it was the matter of not knowing what's going on with it." Then why in the world did you have to dig in it, if you weren't sure? So much for a professional opinion... Sad
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied July 16th, 2013
I had a new white filling put in 3 months ago to replace and fix another small cavity forming slightly under an amalgam filling. Old silver gone. tooth fixed. Looking pretty, but the pain came and didn't go away for almost 2 months. I went back twice to have my bit adjusted and x-rays re-done to check for a fracture. The pain never stopped. 2 extra strength ibuprofen 3 times a day kept the pain at bay, but if I forgot to take them the pain would return and I suffered a lot of discomfort until I could take some more. Upon my 3rd visit 2 weeks ago my dentist decided to redo my filling for free and to check for fractures manually. He said he put in an extra barrier to hopefully take away the sensetivity between the nerve and filling, although I was told it was far enough away from my nerve that I shouldn't be feeling it antway. tooth done. Pain... even worse now. 3 extra strength ibuprofen 3 to 4 times a day and the pain is never completely gone. I sometimes have pain throughout my jaw on the left side and it has turned into some big head aches. chewing anything can be a horrible experience and I have no idea what I can do now. Root canal I fear is the only option, but I just don't know what else to do.

Hearing everyone elses replies to this problem has me curious, and a bit angry. I don't want amalgam filling, but what the hell could have gone wrong with this simple, usually problem free procedure. I am in crazy amounts of pain sometimes and I'm at a loss. How much more money, and time in the chair do I have to spend? So frustrating.
|

replied September 29th, 2013
I feel your pain, pun intended. I was told by a dentist (as my insurance was running out) oh you have 4 cavities that need to be redone and a crown that needs to be replaced. That was mid August--I am in constant pain with everything--even air hurts my teeth. The fillings were redone 3 times, and 2 different endodontists said oh nothing is wrong we wont do a root canal.
I think dentists always find something so they can make money. This has cost me a lot of money out of pocket. Once I am no longer in pain I don't think I will ever go to a dentist aside from a regular cleaning. Ever again.
|

replied July 23rd, 2013
I have had the filling replaced and it is only getting worse (more sensitive)Originally after a routine filling was updated, I would get random shooting pain while eating. It wasn't specific to hot or cold foods, it could be soft or hard foods just randomly a jolt of pain. I went back and he touched up the filling and my bite. It got worse and was then hurting anytime I ate anything on that side of my mouth. I went back and he took the filing out completely and put in a new one. However now my tooth is SO sensitive to even touch it with my finger it zings. What is going on!? He says my tooth looks fine as have all the fillings.
|

replied September 23rd, 2013
Im having a ton of pain when I chew in a tooth that was refilled. I am also now having pain in a tooth next to one that was refilled. I had several cracked fillings so they were replaced. I had no pain before they did this, now I can't eat solid food without pain. It's been a little over a week and the pain is just flat out depressing me. I really don't knowwhat to do; I'm taking a lot of ibuprofen even though I'm allergic to it because it's all that is giving me relief. I don't have any pain if I don't chew, which is making me lose my appetite. I'm also rubbing clove oil and using tea bags on it. Swishing with salt water seems to help a little too. I really just want to pull the teeth at this point. Sad Im having a ton of pain when I chew in a tooth that was refilled. I am also now having pain in a tooth next to one that was refilled. I had several cracked fillings so they were replaced. I had no pain before they did this, now I can't eat solid food without pain. It's been a little over a week and the pain is just flat out depressing me. I really don't knowwhat to do; I'm taking a lot of ibuprofen even though I'm allergic to it because it's all that is giving me relief. I don't have any pain if I don't chew, which is making me lose my appetite. I'm also rubbing clove oil and using tea bags on it. Swishing with salt water seems to help a little too. I really just want to pull the teeth at this point. Sad
|

replied November 26th, 2013
I'm sitting here crying as I read this. I am in so much pain from a filling that was replaced a week ago. I called the dentist and he had his secretary refer me to an endodontic to see if I need a root canal? REALLY?! This was his response.
I cannot believe how many people have chronic pain after a filling. This sickens and disgusts me. I am losing hope that it will get better. The only thing I feel like I can do now is pray for healing.
|

replied September 30th, 2013
I have experience the same issue Duilia79 in the extreme. I don't know why I was talked into replacing all my amalgam fillings, but I suffered for months after having both upper quadrants done at the same time. Couldn't chew on either side of my mouth and sensitive to hot, warm, and cold!
I went to another dentist for a second opinion and he said the work was impeccable. My dentist told me I was one in 10,000 who suffers from dental pain like this. I had the last quadrant done about three weeks ago and I still can't bite down on that side after 3 adjustments, adding a night guard, and taking a round of steroidal anti-inflammatories. I had no idea that my days would be focused on pain management after 'fixing' a problem that didn't really seem broken.
I am slightly relieved to know that there are others who experience this. I like the suggestion of having the filling removed and putting a 'sedative' in the nerve (?) and replacing the filling. I can't see any other solution to this pain other that root canal-and I already tried that solution on the two upper quadrants with questionable results.
|

replied November 6th, 2013
wow, I hate tooth pain. New to the forum here. I had old silver fillings removed from one side of my mouth last summer and have experienced odd aches and pains in that area ever since. I told my dentist about it and he assures me everything is fine, after X-rays and exams. Yesterday I had more silver fillings removed and replaced with the newer white fillings. OMG THE PAIN IS AWFUL today. Constant tylenol. I will call my dentist tomorrow if this pain is still here in the morning. Hating life right now...
Just FYI, my old silver fillings were at least 25-30 years old.
|

replied November 6th, 2013
wow, I hate tooth pain. New to the forum here. I had old silver fillings removed from one side of my mouth last summer and have experienced odd aches and pains in that area ever since. I told my dentist about it and he assures me everything is fine, after X-rays and exams. Yesterday I had more silver fillings removed and replaced with the newer white fillings. OMG THE PAIN IS AWFUL today. Constant tylenol. I will call my dentist tomorrow if this pain is still here in the morning. Hating life right now...
Just FYI, my old silver fillings were at least 25-30 years old.
|

replied April 16th, 2014
(I know this post is ten years old now...)

I had several amalgam fillings done as a child (twenty years ago now). Thus far, they are fine. However, two composites I've had done in the last several years cause sensitivity and are sore - I can't bite down on them to chew because it hurts. I went and got the worst offender redone today.

I was hoping a redo would ease the sensitivity and pressure pain, eventually, but this isn't making me very hopeful!
|

replied November 24th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
A small percentage of people cannot tolerate the tooth colored material.There is no way to tell who will be sensitive.Most people will choose the resin(white) over an amalgam(silver) filling,if given a choice.If your dentist did not tell you all the pros and cons of both materials before the procedure.That is something that should have been done.I am sorry that you think that all dentists are shady characters,but most are ethical and err on the conservative side of treatment.I have worked in the dental field for 17 years and have seen many situations.If your filling was replaced because of your old filling breaking down(they do not last forever!!!),your nerve may be reacting to the treatment.Sometimes,the white filling needs to be replaced with a silver filling,if the sensitivity does not subside.If there was deep decay under the old filling,that ,in combination with the tooth colored filling can leave you with sensitivity for several months.If your dentist did not tell you this,that is something you need to discuss with him/her.I know that this situation is frustrating for you,but please be patient.You did not say how long you had the filling done,but I am assuming it was recently.Please do not give up on dentists,for the most part,they are just trying to do the best job they can!!!Patty
|
Users who thank PattyV for this post: badtooth  rohwer  mother_of_five  lango 

replied May 18th, 2011
I'm having this same problem and a bit shocked at how many others have experienced this. I'm curious now, why I was not given a choice. So what is best to do now? Should I ask for the resin to be removed and tooth refilled with amalgam? Or replace the filling with a sedative in the base of it? I've been suffering from the pain for over 4 weeks now.
|

replied April 13th, 2012
Patty,
Sometimes doing the best you can, is not the correct answer nor does it excuse poor performance (dentistry or not). It is not the dentist fault. It is the dental schools. In fact, this is true for most professions. The schools will pass just about anyone they accept. I am in no way saying all dentist or doctors are terrible or shady, but they are out there. Whether you graduated first in your class or last, you have the same title. This information should be released to the patients. No employer wants the bottom of class and no patient wants the bottom doctor. Bottom line, when working on people or working on something dangerous, the best you can is not good enough.

I was a prior nuclear engineer. Mistakes kill people.

Respectfully,

Help people start accepting responsibility.
|

replied June 16th, 2012
Sorry Patty, but this is BS. You must work in the industry to say such a ridiculous thing, just look at all the comments here!

I was told I needed to replace to old fillings. They were causing ZERO pain, ZERO problems. Dentist said X-ray saw some small decay, big deal. Some decay actually heals itself, mother nature is the best dentist (obviously there comes a point when this won't work and then you begin to feel the pain and need a dentist). So, I had two fillings replaced in adjacent teeth with the so called "composite" material. Wow, isn't this stuff great. I never had the recurring pain (I am at 10 days now and its not getting better) with the old filling method. So much for improvement in the dental field. I have also heard that, beyond the after procedure pain, the fillings have a life expectency at about 3-5 years. How long have your old fillings lasted?

This is not only a scam on the public to generate dollars for dentists but the pain does not end with the pocketbook. Yeech.
|

replied December 17th, 2012
My white fillings have been put in about 10 years ago and they still look good. I believe it depends on how well you take care of your teeth and what foods comprise your daily diet. Highly acidic foods tend to be harsh on teeth.
|

replied December 3rd, 2004
Pain After Filling
I also have been having a lot of trouble with the white fillings that where put in on tuesday. When the novocain started to wear off there was a lot of pain in the gum beside the tooth that was filled, I assume that it had just been bumped by the drill or something while the dentist was working on my teeth. Anyway, now my jaw is swollen, I can hardly talk let alone eat. ( no big loss there haha!) I also have extreme pressure in the teeth that where filled. I am going to wait it out till monday, and hope that I don't have an infection of some sort. But I am not going to hold my breath. But the dentist never gave me the choice of silver or white fillings. He also never said anything about the pro's and con's of either. Anyway, I am pretty frustrated about the whole thing since I have to go back in 2 weeks and have some more work done before I go in and have my wisdom teeth removed.
Anyway, I guess I am just venting and letting you know that you aren't alone. I hope that they get it all taken care of for you!!
|

replied January 10th, 2013
If a tooth pain after filling persists beyond two weeks or is at any stage severe, contact your dentist.
|

replied December 3rd, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Ouch!!!Mandy,don't go all weekend in pain!Call up your dentist and see if you can get in tomorrow!Good luck to you.Patty
|

replied January 3rd, 2005
White Fillings
I got 2 of my front teeth filled about a month ago, the dentist told me the pain would last a week, about a week ago, the left side of my face swole up so bad I couldn't talk, or eat, and I could hardly open my eye. I went to the emergency room several times, they told me only the dentist could do something about it, I was told I had an absess tooth, or something to that sort. Basically I have an infection in my gums and tooth, however the meds they have me on, $100 for 8 pills of antibiotics and the vikidon, aren't working all that well, the swelling is getting worse and if the infection moves into my jaw bone they'll have to surgically remove the infected bone, let it heal, take a piece of my hip bone, shape it and place that where my jaw bone should be. The pain is unreal, i'm wondering if there's anyway I could take the dentist to court, to make him either pay for the work that as done, and the work tht will be doen to fix what he did. If theres a chance in me winning if I try to sue him. I've had over 5 different prescriptions, been to the emergency room several times, and now i'm heading back to the dentist so they can tell me what isgoin on, i've lost a lot of money over a careless dentist who spent the whole time he was filling my teeth flirting with his assistant. Guess i'm just venting
|

replied July 14th, 2011
I totally agree! I have so much pain after my dentist took my amalgam fillings out and told me I needed new composide ones. Costing over $1000!!! While he worked , he talked to the assistant about the $100K education he was providing his kids in private school, the things he was able to afford ot give his wife, and the $10K procedure he was going to pay for to make sure his wife gave birth to a girl baby next time, as they already had three boys. I was outraged! But could not talk, or move while he worked on me. Now in soooo much pain, and don't want to go back to this jerk! That's why we stay away from them... they hurt us, and rob us. If he only knew or respected how hard I have to work for the money I have to pay him with. No insurance, no sympathy.
|

replied August 26th, 2005
Hi, I am in the same boat and am so depressed and stressed that it has destroyed my work productivity and social life.

I went for a cleaning last month, the dentist recommended replacing a silver filling on the bottom left molar which I had for like 10 years, and then he said he would fix a filling he did earlier on the top right molar, where food was getting stuck.

I decided to go for it, he replaced the silver filling and did a new filling on the top right molar.

This messed my life up completely, I mean turned it upside down where I can't forgive myself for ever going.

The replacement filling which took out the silver and put the composite became sensitive when he did it last wednesday, so sensitive it hurt a lot, I went last thursday, did a bite adjustment, didnt help much. I went on monday, he did another bite adjustment didnt help.

Then I went this past wednesday (two days ago), he replaced teh filling, and the right filling was feeling high, so he grinded it down, but now it got grinded so down, that my last molar top and bottom make contact and hurt like crazy.

I mean a crazy throbbing pain on the bottom molar, the last one, and when I close my jaw it sends a sharp sensation throughout that side. This tooth is fine, didnt even touch it during the procedures, which makes me believe that this pain is because of a contact due to the other tooth being grinded down.

Now, it's friday, and am going to wait till monday to visit the dentist, but what do I do? I hate myself for ever going, I can't get over the emotional trauma, I just want my teeth to go back to normal feeling and not require any extensive work.

What should I tell the dentist, to redo the filling on the right hand side, instead of messing with the bite size for the last molar. My fear is if he decides to do a bite adjustment on the last tooth which is hurting, he might mess it up more, because it was fine all along.

Please help.

Thank you.
|

replied September 9th, 2005
Pain After Filling
I was nine months pregnant when I went to get my teeth worked on, so when I got hot, cold and presure sensitivity I blamed it on my depleted calcium but a thousand glasses of milk and four months later I was still experiancing just as much tooth sensitivity. I have had to give up some foods all together and still get piercing pain from many things I still eat or drink. I cannot try getting them looked at or redone due to my finances but I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who experianced this problem.
|

replied October 1st, 2005
Pain After Temporary Filling.
Hi all,
i attended the dentist with a hole in one of my back teeth on top and after three injections including a pallatel, the tooth was still not numb so my dentisit whom is brilliant decided to place a temporary filling in and allow the nerves to calm for a few weeks before proceeding. The temp filling required no drilling and was placed without incident. But as soon as the local wore off and I had some pizza, a very pronounced pain began and is still niggling away at me today, although less severe, but still I would call it pronounced. This is worse than the dull ache after hot or cold foods which was bothering me before I attended the dentist. I would really appreciate any accounts of similar experiences that you might have. :(
|

replied October 16th, 2005
New Fillings, New Pain!
Well, i'm joining the ranks here with another bad experience!

:cry:

last year, my dentist recommend two fillings replaced with the newer composite fillings (i had the old metal fillings). I also had them on my upper teeth, but she would only do two. Well, no problems there, and I did not experience any problems. Then.

Fast forward to june 2005 and I am resigning my position from my former employer. Since my insurance was expiring too as a result, I attempted to get an appointment with my dentist, but was unable to. So, I went to another in san marino.

Well, this one saw the three remaining old fillings on my upper molars (1 on my right and two on my left) and suggested I replace them with new fillings. Since the procedure went well before, I decided to go for it and be metal free!

Mistake!!!!!

A day later, I was experiencing pain on all the teeth with newly replaced fillings. More on the right than the left, but painful nonetheless. Mostly when I chewed -- pressure related. And it hurt.

A week later, I had to go back and tell her that I was in great pain. She said she could drill down the high side on the left tooth, but did not feel the need to do the others (since most of the pain was on right). Well, nothing improved.

A month went by, and no real improvement. The dentist's only explanation, "maybe we do root canal."

:x

i decided to start taking some antibiotics I was prescribed some time ago -- erythromycin. After about two more weeks, I started feeling some relief on my right side where I had the filling filed down a bit. Maybe coincidence. However, on both sides, I was still feeling sensitivity to cold.

Well, it's october, and the right side is pretty much back to normal. But, that's not the end because two weeks ago, my left side cold sensitivity eventually increased to great pressure sensitivity. I mean bad, worse than the right. Now, it's unbearable.

I just started taking the erythromycin again along with some more active brushing, gargling, rinsing and vitamin c and e. I'm hoping that in a few days, I will see improvement. Unfortunately, I don't have dental insurance anymore, and am so frustrated with the new dentist, I just don't want to call her anymore since her reaction will probably be to do a root canal, or worse!

Unfortunately, it may be that the pain is indicative of a worse progression. I may need that root canal, or I may lose the tooth. But in either case, I may as well see if the antibiotics will kill off unseen bacteria, while the hydrogen peroxide rinses will kill off the surface bacteria. There's no pus or anything, just great pain when I bite down.

I'm sad, i'm scared. I faced worse accidents in the past, but when it comes to my teeth, i'm a real baby.

So for now, I am trying not to let my bottom teeth clip my top due to the pain it will induce. The area around the tooth root throbs and is dull, until I bit down, then it's sharp. Oh, and yesterday, the pain came on even without biting, and it was so awful. I started a huge cleaning regiment, and that ended, but today, I get the bit pressure problem and the dull pain.

So, i've rambled on long enough. Of course, hindsight tells me I would never do this again. I had no problems with the metal fillings, now i've created a new problem -- really, the dentist did. I wish I had not have had this new dentist touch me -- although it just didn't seem to me that any complications would result.

I'm giving this thing another week -- as low as my tolerance for pain, i'm hoping I can stop this on my own. Then, if things don't improve, i'll bite the financial bullet and see my dentist -- but get this, i"m so jaded now that i'm thinking that all dentists are concerned with is money! Damn. So frustrating.
|

replied October 13th, 2012
Feel sorry there is nothing worse then dental pain: i know. I may need a RC too. There is dental payments that most dentists have now so maybe that will help. I really wish dental was under medicalinsurance because It should be. Good luck
|

replied November 9th, 2005
Filling Replacement Cause Eye Infection?
My dentist told me that I would experience pain from my filling replacement because "everything was being all stirred up" and the tooth could get sick. What I didn't expect was my eye on the same side of my mouth to swell up. It is so swollen that I can't wear my contact lenses and it actually hurts. Do you think this is related to my filling replacement and is it normal?
|

replied December 17th, 2005
One Year Later And Still Having Problems
I had my fillings done in feb. '04 on both upper 12-yr old molars. During the procedure, I don't think they gave me enough drugs because I was cringing the whole time during the fillings. Never do I remember it being that painful. That's when it all started. A week later, I went in and told them I was still in pain on my right side, so they reshaped the tooth thinking the bite was off and that it was a quick fix. Not so easy, and needless to say the pain never really went away. So I go back around april and they redid the filling only on right, since my left was fine. This time, the drugs really worked and didn't feel a thing during the filling. But yet again after the procedure it still didn't get better. I go back in the late summer and complain again about the pain. The dentist explained to me either we can redo it again or wait it out because he said those nerves get traumatized and may take up to 6 months to heal. So I said let's wait. Now about 1 or 2 months ago (oct.-nov.) my left side is now hurting after all this and I am so frustrated. I'm going to back in january for sure to get this fixed once again. The pain is so strange not only do I feel it when I eat (i've learned to eat with my front teeth) but I also feel it now when I take a brisk walk on the street - it throbs in pain every step I take. This is a serious issue. I want to be able to eat chips and not worry about any pain in mouth. I hope my dentist resolves this because after they do fix it and they better, i'm not going back to them. Thank you everyone for posting on here. I am so glad I am not alone in this serious problem we face.
|

replied January 15th, 2006
Why Did I Have This Done???
I had two fillings replaced a week ago and i've had excrusiating pain since. Three advils every three hours. Tomorrow i'll go for root canal. If I didn't have these fillings replaced I would have been fine for who knows how long. Dr. Said probably around a year. I'm livid. Should have left well enough alone; Dr. Should have advised as such. $1700 and much much pain.

If it aint broke don't fix it doc.
|

replied January 16th, 2006
Is It Possible It Could Link to Teeth Grinding?
I just went to the dentist this past week and was about to redo my fillings again. While I was getting ready for my cleaning, I spoke with the dental assistant about my continuing problems. She asked me if I grind my teeth. I thought about it for a moment and said yes, i've noticed that I do grind my teeth. The reason why i'm still experiencing pain is because the grinding is putting pressure on those teeth and it hasn't fully healed from the procedure. She said before doing any more fillings, I should try a night guard. She then told me to consider what they offer. ($600 w/o insurance coverage) whoa! Just to stop grinding my teeth? So I went home to contemplate it and decided to go to my local drug store and get one over the counter. I molded it to my teeth and have worn it for the past couple of nights and if anything, my jaws and mouth hurt more. I sure hope this helps in the long run. Although i've already noticed a difference when I eat though. I hope some might consider grinding as a possibility to why the pain still exists. I will post updates in the near future...
|

replied January 26th, 2006
Wow I can't believe how many people are reporting this problem. Of course I too have had it, but I thought it was just me! Judging by the posts here, I don't see much of a solution for myself - but then again, my situation is nothing compared to the things i'm reading here.

So I just gotta vent anyway.

In june 2004, I went in to have routine checkup because I had not been to a dentist in a couple years. We did a cleaning, and he found a couple cavities. So he scheduled me to come back in and fill them. I thought "great! Getting my teeth in order, i'm so responsible".

I had two fillings, tooth-colored. Immediatley after, one of the fillings had a dull ache for awhile, I thought probably normal. But then I noticed that occassionally I would bite down on something hard, and if it just the right spot, ouch! I can't even duplicate the experience artificially, it only happens when I least expect it, on some minute portion of the tooth.

So I go back complaining, he says - exactly what every other dentist reported on this topic has said: sometimes the filling needs to settle, there might be a bubble, give it some time. He grinded itdown a little more.

Honestly, he was rushing me in and out, flirting with his assitants (they were hot, actually). I went back later for an unrelated cosmetic job to even out some teeth, and he rushed through it. When he was done, my mouth was all raw, and he takes the gloves off, starts walking around, preparing for the next patient, then he comes in and says "look ok?" that pissed me off. He was mentally on to the next thing, and asking me if I was happy was like an afterthought. He was a prick. I can't help but think he was just moving people in and out to maximize profits.

Anyway, I was moving my residence at that point, so I had to let it go. A year later, there is still the occassional pain when I bite down on something hard. It just ticks me off! I went in there to solve a problem, not to create a new one. I actually had no teeth problems before. Still the pain when I bite down, I have just learned to ignore it. Now I know there are others out there with the same issue.

Here in london I went to another dentist to have him look at it and tell me if things were ok, and he said the same thing! It takes some time to settle, bla, bla, bla. Well it's been a year and a half, and the dull pain is still there, and when I bite on something hard, ouch!

What a bummer. It doesn't make me trust dentists much.

I'll probably go back to the dentist again at some point to see again if he can do something. I sympathize so much with you people out there! Mouth pain is horrible!
|

replied May 5th, 2006
Exactly how long is 'normal' for the dull ache in the tooth after a filling and all the hot and cold sensitivity?

I had 2 teeth filled 2 days ago and its still bothering me. I have to drink liquids and chew food on one side of my mouth. Its really bugging me, because I wasnt experiencing any pain or discomfort in the teeth before they were filled. I got them done because I wanted to be responsible and fix them. Kinda wish I hadnt bothered.

I'm due 3 more fillings on the other side and am worried that eating and drinking will become unbearable because of all the sensitivity.
|

replied April 3rd, 2011
I had a dentist remove silver and fill 4 on one side in one day when he told me he was doing 2 older larger ones.
Have been in much pain every since. Nearly 8 wks now.

I think there is more problems with these white fillings that the dentists say. According to the dentist that did mine I am just sensitive and not the norm.
|

replied April 30th, 2011
I'm the same. I have never had problems with my teeth but when I had some slight discoloration in one tooth where there was an old silver filling I had that replaced with white. While there dentist said I should do the tooth next to it. Why Why Why did I listen?? there was no pain nothing wrong with it. Now I've been back 4 times, the last time (2 days ago) a senior dentist replaced the whole thing again. I've just bitten into some eggplant and there was a seed in it, that sent pain all the way down to the bottom of my tooth. It seems to me these dentists are replacing fillings that don't need work, lining their pockets with our money, and in return we end up with problems with our teeth. Its May 2011 now and I had the first filling done in Dec 2010, they said "give it time to settle, about a couple of months" what a load of hogwash. I think this problem is widespread. I actually wonder if the dentist cracked my tooth when she removed the silver. I'm going back until this is fixed, I will let you know my progress if you like
|

replied April 30th, 2011
I'm the same. I have never had problems with my teeth but when I had some slight discoloration in one tooth where there was an old silver filling I had that replaced with white. While there dentist said I should do the tooth next to it. Why Why Why did I listen?? there was no pain nothing wrong with it. Now I've been back 4 times, the last time (2 days ago) a senior dentist replaced the whole thing again. I've just bitten into some eggplant and there was a seed in it, that sent pain all the way down to the bottom of my tooth. It seems to me these dentists are replacing fillings that don't need work, lining their pockets with our money, and in return we end up with problems with our teeth. Its May 2011 now and I had the first filling done in Dec 2010, they said "give it time to settle, about a couple of months" what a load of hogwash. I think this problem is widespread. I actually wonder if the dentist cracked my tooth when she removed the silver. I'm going back until this is fixed, I will let you know my progress if you like
|

replied May 16th, 2006
Lucy, I know how you feel...I came on here because I got my first fillings ever yesterday and am having a lot of sentitivity, I wanted to know if its normal or not. I chose the white composite ones because of looks. I am hoping this goes away soon. I have to go next monday for 2 more fillings...I'm so nervous!!! I told my husband I just want to cancel the appt because of how this feels...I didn't feel any pain in any of my cavities, so why do I have to have them filled...I'm so nervous now for next week!!!
|

replied July 13th, 2011
tooth filling sting pain
Hello, I went to the dentist to get my teeth cleaned and I ended up having a tooth filled with an expensive white porcelin filling because the dentist said that it had a small cavity and would get worse in time. When I got home I could not chew on that tooth because I felt a sharp sting every time I put pressure. I went to the dentist one month later. He filed the filling down and the sharp sting was still there now worse. i told the dentist and he filed it more, and more until he got tired and hit my gum/tongue with the tooth grinder and perforated my toungue'gum linning. I felt a cut, sting and blood. He said that I moved my head and that it was a small cut nothing to worry about. He said that the biting (pressure) sting on the filling would go away in 2 weeks and that I had to brush more frequently. Now I have a tooth filling that hurts /stings when I put pressure or when I grind my tooth and I cannot swallow fast because I have pain from the cut on my gum/tongue produced by the dentist drill slipping off and producing a lesion on my gum/tongue. Thats the last time I let a dentist work on my teeth. Next time I am letting it decay and have it pulled out. I rather enjoy 10 years with my tooth and savor my food that live 10 years with a miserable filling and not be able to savor my food.
|

replied October 24th, 2011
filling gone bad and got a drill in my tissue
Oh My Goodness I had the EXACT same experience! Drill slipped right off as he filed and went into the back of my mouth tissue. NIGHTMARE!!! and my tooth still is not better. I got the tooth colored filling and have been miserable SINCE! I had not one problem until I got this "cavity" fixed. Now each time i bite on that side the pain is UNBEARABLE.

What can be done about this????
|

replied July 13th, 2011
tooth filling sting pain
Hello, I went to the dentist to get my teeth cleaned and I ended up having a tooth filled with an expensive white porcelin filling because the dentist said that it had a small cavity and would get worse in time. When I got home I could not chew on that tooth because I felt a sharp sting every time I put pressure. I went to the dentist one month later. He filed the filling down and the sharp sting was still there now worse. i told the dentist and he filed it more, and more until he got tired and hit my gum/tongue with the tooth grinder and perforated my toungue'gum linning. I felt a cut, sting and blood. He said that I moved my head and that it was a small cut nothing to worry about. He said that the biting (pressure) sting on the filling would go away in 2 weeks and that I had to brush more frequently. Now I have a tooth filling that hurts /stings when I put pressure or when I grind my tooth and I cannot swallow fast because I have pain from the cut on my gum/tongue produced by the dentist drill slipping off and producing a lesion on my gum/tongue. Thats the last time I let a dentist work on my teeth. Next time I am letting it decay and have it pulled out. I rather enjoy 10 years with my tooth and savor my food that live 10 years with a miserable filling and not be able to savor my food.
|

replied August 11th, 2011
I just had 3 fillings done in two teeth. The dentist did replace "old" fillings in at least 1 tooth. I had no pain or issues prior to this and the only reason I got it done was because the dentist said I needed fillings. Ever since this was done (about a week) my teeth have been bothering me. A general "dull ache" all day and sharp worse pain with cold/hot temps or hard food. How frustrating go to the dentist without an issue and leave with one. What a joke!
|

replied August 15th, 2012
after 6 weeks of getting a filling done she still has pain
I took my daughter for her 6 months check up. We recently change insurances so this dentist was new to us.After the xrays were done on her. The dentist looked inside her mouth and say she has a cavity. I was really surprised because she wasn't complaining of any pain or discomfort. I made the appointment to come back to get her cavity taking care of. When we came back I ask for a white filling. I first ask if that Muller was her permanent tooth. He said yes so I said I want a white filling. He proceeded to do the filling. after 2 weeks my daughter complain about having pain on the tooth every time she bite with that tooth. I went back and the dentist and immediately he want it to take xrays which I refuse. They just took xrays on her a 2 weeks ago. They got upset and say that they might have to send her to the specialist and that the specialist for sure was going to take xrays. When the dentist checked he said it was normal to experience some pain. He said it looks good and no leaks. I am so mad because is been 6 weeks and my poor girl still have pain. I am upset because when we walked into that office she didn't have any complains and now every time she brushes her teeth she says it hurts.
|

replied November 25th, 2013
I had a tooth filled with the white filling. I was in a lot of pain and the tooth was filled and I was still in a lot of pain a week afterwards. I went to another dentist and was told that the tooth had been filled but what was giving me the pain is where the bone had receded and just a tiny bit of the roots were exposed. The dentist told me to give it a few weeks and it should be fine. If it isn't, I will have it pulled because I can't afford $1,200.00 for a root canal. Hope this helps.
|