Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Scar Tissue After Back Surgery

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Has anyone heard of a way to successfully get rid of back pain from scar tissue? I had back surgery 3 years ago and i'm in more pain now than before.I have had mri's and they show scar tissue and herniated disc(l4&5)i also have degenerative disc disorder. I am scared to have more surgery, I have heard too many stories of repeat back surgeries and no success.Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper melhoel
|

replied February 1st, 2008
Surgery
I had a back operaion 6 years ago on L4 and L5, and my body formed scar tissue etc etc. I have recently had my second operation, this time operating on L4, L5 and S1 and I feel fantastic. I have to say I wanted to die before the second operation I was in so much pain. I had the sugery in Salisbury hospital under a guy called Dr. Chapple and he was brilliant. I can't promise a second operation will work for you but if you are in thatmuch pain you have noting to lose.
|
Users who thank messenms for this post: miriam1977 

replied April 22nd, 2011
Systemic enzymes if able to enter the blood stream can cleave exogenous proteins (scar tissue). It's just a matter if the enzymes can make it to the location in the body for effect.
|

replied October 8th, 2008
5 surgerys 2 level fusion others 3 ruptured disks
i had 4 surgeries in 14 months it was scar tissue causing pain .this surgery 1 month ago i can't put ant pressure on either leg, another mri don't know if fluid is another rupture or infection, or something else? any one have this problem? til october 2005 i did hard maual work, now can't do anything. please help !!!!!
|

Extremely eHealthy
Re: Scar Tissue After Back Surgery
melhoel wrote:
Has anyone heard of a way to successfully get rid of back pain from scar tissue? I had back surgery 3 years ago and i'm in more pain now than before.I have had mri's and they show scar tissue and herniated disc(l4&5)i also have degenerative disc disorder. I am scared to have more surgery, I have heard too many stories of repeat back surgeries and no success.Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Your pain may be coming from herniaed disc at the L4/L5 and not the scar tissue so much.

It's difficult to remove the scar tissue and not have more build up, but sometimes it can be done.

What has your spine surgeon suggested to you for treatment.

Fran
|

replied March 9th, 2012
BACK PAIN AFTER SURGERIES
I'm experiencing same issues are you are. 3 low back surgeries and I can't stand on my feet for over 15 minutes or walk any further than 50 yards without terrible low back and hip pain. Two neurosurgeons and an ortho surgeon have told me "structurally you are good". All 3 just ignore the pain, scar tissue or nerve damage issues. I have given up hope.

Gerald Kelly
|

replied May 15th, 2012
there is jope fir leg and back pain when walking and standing.
I just had this same thing so my doctor sent me to physical therapy. There they explained that the scare tissue will form and cause pain so we baby them. This is what we are supposed to do but not for any extended period of time because the muscle starts to disappear. So our muscles get stiff and sore and we are left in new pain that is just as intense as the pain that lead to the back surgery. Try to do mild streatching and gentle ab crunches and butt lifts. Once you have done this for a while, stretches 3 times a day every day with ad and butt routine 1 per day, start taking a slow walk. This doesn't have to be much. Could be up and down 1 block for starters. Just strive for longer walks as time goes by. An over 65 exercise routine is good to start on after you have the walk down. Just always remember to be gentle with yourself. Some days you will be able to do more than other and that's ok! If you fell sore ice it. I know you might think you would get the heating pad out but the ice really doesnwork better. Hope that helps!
|

replied May 15th, 2012
I just had this same thing so my doctor sent me to physical therapy. There they explained that the scare tissue will form and cause pain so we baby them. This is what we are supposed to do but not for any extended period of time because the muscle starts to disappear. So our muscles get stiff and sore and we are left in new pain that is just as intense as the pain that lead to the back surgery. Try to do mild streatching and gentle ab crunches and butt lifts. Once you have done this for a while, stretches 3 times a day every day with ad and butt routine 1 per day, start taking a slow walk. This doesn't have to be much. Could be up and down 1 block for starters. Just strive for longer walks as time goes by. An over 65 exercise routine is good to start on after you have the walk down. Just always remember to be gentle with yourself. Some days you will be able to do more than other and that's ok! If you fell sore ice it. I know you might think you would get the heating pad out but the ice really doesnwork better. Hope that helps!
|

Extremely eHealthy
Re: 5 surgerys 2 level fusion others 3 ruptured disks
mawgrandma1 wrote:
i had 4 surgeries in 14 months it was scar tissue causing pain .this surgery 1 month ago i can't put ant pressure on either leg, another mri don't know if fluid is another rupture or infection, or something else? any one have this problem? til october 2005 i did hard maual work, now can't do anything. please help !!!!!

You need to see a spine surgeon for diagnosis of the present issues you are having.

If your MRI has been done within the past 4 weeks and can't determine what is going on, then you might need a CT scan, especially if you have any hardware in your spine.

Please call your spine surgeon ASAP about your pain and have him/her evaluate your present situation.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing, what the doctor says.

Fran

If you get no answers from your present spine surgeon, you may need to find another spine surgeon for a second opinion.
|

replied March 31st, 2009
scar tissue
1. I have a problem of @ bulded disc and 1 rupurted disc in L5-S1. so, the Doctors suggested me a Lumbar spine surgery. But, I think This could be resolved By Physiotheraphy method. But not sure.... Need ur suggestion PLZ....waiting for it

2. what is scar tissue. how it gets formed.its complications PLZ
|

replied June 29th, 2010
i have had two back surgeries and i have a lot of scar tisssue and it causes a lot of pain . epidurals and walking help the pain some
|

replied July 3rd, 2010
Second back surgery question about leg pain.
I had L4 & L5 disc removed in 1983 was good for a couple years then pain started again in 1999 I again had surgery they removed some scar tissue and a disc fragment they missed.

That helped good but one year later had minor pain again now 2010 pain in legs is getting real bad again not sure what I will do.

I have never been pain free since my 1st surgery in 1983 but the second surgery did help for the last 10 years but now getting worried as the pain is getting bad again.

So I feel for you you have to do what you have to do get an MRI and see what it shows and go from there also a second opinion will not hurt anything.

Good luck hang in there know what you are going through some times I do not know how we put up with it you really get down but keep going.
|

replied July 3rd, 2010
When I had my 1st surgery I had L4 & L5 disc come part way out had to get the surgery.

Boy do I know where you are coming from if you get any answer to your scar tissue let me know. The last Nero-surgeon I saw a couple years ago said they will not operate on scare tissue. The Nero-surgeon that did my 1st two surgeries retired now that I am getting worse again also not sure what I will do. My daughter was around 5 when I had my 1st back operation in 1983 she is now an Occupational Therapist and she keeps telling me to go to another state as the Doctors and hospitals here in central PA and not good for my condition maybe I will if I can this time? I was in my 30's with the 1st surgery now I am 61 hand in there go see what they say that is all you can do.

Know where you are coming from I woke last night even with a pillow between my knees the nerve pain was so bad I could not sleep got up after laying there an hour at 2am.

It is hard I get rel depressed but try and keep my head straight put my gun in the safe Smile

Anyway I feel for you you are not alone I have been through it all you name it.
|

replied July 5th, 2010
I feel your pain, I am 21 year old D1 football player and had a lumbar microdisectomy by the top doctor in the nation who does all NFL, NBA, MLB players, etc.. his name is Dr. Watkins out in Marina Del Ray Los Angeles Area, I have had problems with scar tissue for last 7 months after surgery, the only thing that did help a bit was ultrasound and some intense stretching and pressing of my spine/vertabrae.... the PT really worked hard to get more flexion in my spine to try and soften up the tissue, i almost felt 100% normal after and am back at school and havent found a PT who can do the same as well, anyways if anyone has any ideas to help relieve scar tissue ill try it, I shouldnt be going through this much pain for how healthy and young i am, but i feel all your pain, nobody else understands what we go through, thanks

-Teddy
|

replied November 26th, 2010
I am 35 and I'm about to have my 5th back surgery on Monday. The hardware is loose and needs to come out. My Dr. also said that I had a lot of scar tissue from all the surgeries. I am worse now then I was before I had my 1st surgery. Just like all of you know the pain is very hard to deal with at times. No one knows unless they have had back surgery before. Good Luck to all you Y'All. Jason
|

replied December 3rd, 2010
I am a 35 year old nurse and had a spinal fusion a year ago. My pain was a little better but then started again. I found out that I have scarring and now a synovial cyst that is pressing on the nerves. I go next week to have a rhizotomy (cauterizing of the nerves) and they are also going to drain the cyst on my spine. I do not recommend spinal surgery unless it is a last resort. I know that I wont have surgery again unless they tell me I would end up in a wheelchair if I didn't!!!!!
|

replied April 5th, 2011
Synovial Cyst excision.
Had synovial cyst. First dr.s didn't want to do anything cause"it'll just grow back" pain was crazy. Had epidurals by pain clinic q 3 months prior to discovery of cyst. They worked bout 3 yrs. Then last yr. I went to get up and my r. leg wouldn't hold me up. I had had it. Went to different spine surgeon he said he could help. I allowed back sugery. I thought, i am quasi young and an ex bodybuilder. I am one year post op. I am having bilateral continuous muscle spasm/electical pain between my SI joints and rib cage in my back. Been stretching since i was 18 am 53 now and pool therapy. I suspect it is deep scar tissue issues. Am gonna try myofascial release therapy next week. I will let u all know if it works.
|

replied December 4th, 2010
I had my surgery on Monday and everything went good. The pain is still there but I can tell the surgery worked because I am not hurting like I was or in the same spot. I still have pain from the surgery but that is about all and its just where the incision was. Its only been 5 day but I feel great after years of suffering with back pain it is about time I am pain free I am almost in tears writing this because it has been very hard on me, my back problems have cost me both on a emotionally and financial level. I will make it just fine I will have to start over again but I will make it. As most of you all know something like this will take a toll on you body and soul. Its hard to believe that I am 35 broke, with no wife and no kids I guess that is a good thing lord knows I could not give a wife and kids the attention they deserve. God willing all of that is in the past and I can learn from it. Time for me to get busy living or get busy dieing.
|

User Profile
replied December 20th, 2010
Hello everyone im new to this site.
Well i am 33 yrs old and i have had a total of 3 back surgeries. i have been dealing with those horrible pains since 1995. It got to the point where i just couldnt deal with the pains, so in 2007 i had my 1st surgery. It was an laminectomy, and discetomy. After that i was doing good, i was out for 6 months and when i returned back to work i ended up messing up my back again so here came allthose pains. i dealt with those another few yrs until it got the point where my wife had to change me in the mornings and put on my work clothes and work boots. Once again i dealt with that drama for a lil until i said that is enough. June 2010 i went in for my 2nd surgery which is called XLIF done by Dr Fernando Ravessoud in Long Beach CA. they went in thru the side and removed my two collasped discs and installed two plastic spacers with a bone graf also installed two screws with one plate. After the surgery my recovery was up and down which wasnt to bad as far as pain. I just had a hard time in physical therapy trying to get to the point where i needed to be. But i started to feel lots of pain still. So after an MRI and als a Nerve Conduction Test with an EMG determined that i still had issues with my nerves on L4, and L5. ^ months after my 2nd Surgery i went in for my 3rd one. They went in thru my 1st incision on my back which of course had scar tissue. the incision ended up being 8 inches with 22 staples (fun, fun when they were removed). He had to work on 4 nerves to decompress them and aslo decompress my spinal. He also had to fix the spacers from the previous surgery that had shifted. He ended up installing 2 sets of bone graf. T he result is total of 4 screws, two disc spacers, 4 metal plates, and two bolts. So far i am 3 weeks post op and i am doing good by the grace of god. For everyone that is suffering with and the pains as difficult as it is please keep ur heads up and have at least a lil faith that some day u shall be healed since i know that this type of life gets hard on the emotions. Sometimes the emotional pain is worse than the actul back pain. Be strong and just take it on day at a time. Thank you
|

User Profile
replied February 12th, 2011
I had spinal surgery July 15, 2010, 7 m0. ago, for a tether cord and sciatica,I had problems with the stitches, found out I'm allergic to the type that were used. I've had pain in that area and leg pains since then, last night I kept waking up with sharp pain in that area especially when I laid on my back, and it's painful to the touch, I do have RLS, it is in control,the leg pains I'm having now are different, my med's for RLS don't help then. What do I do now?

i
|

replied June 26th, 2011
I had an L4/5 disectomy in 2007. The operation left me with nerve/scar damage, although it has always been manageable and has not stopped me working etc. I had a fall in my shop in December 2010 and didnt really notice anything until January of this year. I started to get a deep aching throb/pain in my lower left hand back area above my bum. This normally started to occur after 45 minz of being in my place of business, my job entailed me standing in the same position for a couple hours. Anyway, I went to the doctors and they sent me for an MRI and I was told that I had suffered a protuding disc which was the cause of the pain etc. I continued to work but the '45 mins' gradually became 20 mins before the pain started again. Other symtoms I noticed were a 'numbness' in my left leg, burning pins and needles in my left foot, and after being on my feet for an hour I had to sit down as my legs felt like 10 ton weights. This led to me going to A&E after one evening at work as I could hardly walk. I was told to have complete rest for 3 months and not allowed to drive. I have since had another MRI and went to see my Spinal Surgeon. The symtoms have gotten gradually worse over the last few months, walking any distance makes my legs go 'stiff' numby and my left foot 'burns' like hell. Anyway, back to the surgeon and this is what I need the help and advice on: he looked at my 2 MRI scans and said he was not convinced what the other hospital doctors had told me was a protuding disc and he seemed to think that it could be the scar tissue causing me all this trouble. I said to him that I have had this scar tissue for nearly 4 years and it has never bothered me and I asked him why it seemed to start since I had my fall, he didnt give an answer. Now, IS IT possible, that after nearly 4 years since my operation, that it could be the scar tissue causing me all this trouble even though I have had no pain like this all that time? I thas gotten to the stage where I cannot lay down in bed as I just cannot get comfortable, only sitting seemes to be manageable. I have a business to run and really need to get back to work asap. I would love to hear some feedback or advice as soon as please Smile
Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Paul
|