Medical Questions > Cancer > Cervical Cancer and Ovarian Cancer Forum

Spasms?

Must Read
Cervical cancer typically develops over many years. But when does cervical cancer occur and how do doctors define the disease? ...
How are HPV and cervical cancer related? And how can you place yourself out of risk for developing cervical cancer? More here....
Abnormal menstruation can be a sign of cervical cancer. Learn the signs and symptoms of serious "female problems" and when to seek medical help here....
My mother has had cancer in the bladder for two months, since being diagnosed. She has experienced very painful spasms in this region since that time. She had 5 rounds of heavy radiation and chemo but has taken time off to heal. However the spasms continue and have, in many instances, been worse. Most recently yesterday she had 3 excruciating spasms at three points in the day that have caused extreme distress in her and us, her family. The doctors continue to try and find a reason behind the spasms but are at a loss. We give her suppository medicines and morphene but these only seem to stop the pain (after 15 minutes or so). We went about a week without an extreme spasm but have had 4 during the course of this week.

I am hoping to find others that are familiar with this situation and could advise, or may be familiar with this. We are seeking every possible theory and running them by our doctor, who with his team continues to figure out how to get a handle on her pain.

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 30th, 2004
Cancer & Spasms
I am interested in more informaton about the painful spasms that your mother is having. Does it feel like tightning or squeezing pain in her bladder along with sharp, cutting & burning pain? It sounds similar to what has been happening to me. My pain variates from mild to extremely severe and is 100% worse with the spasms. And I cannot make it through a day without taking a pain pill now. These spasms became widespread throughout my body and caused my bladder, kidney, stomach organ and esophagus to feel very raw and painful and it really scared me because I didn't know if the spasms could cause problems or damage to my internal organs because this isn't any ordinary muscle spasm because it should not hurt your organs like that. But it has done that to me. I have been going through this all month and my pain never goes away now. And I believe it has caused some of my organs to get inflamed. I think I got an overreaction of my muscles from a drug interaction of antidepressants. But I still have the problems even after getting those medications out of my system but it isn't as horrible and widespread as before. Now I just have them in my left kidney, bladder, abdomen and stomach organ and they don't tighten up as bad. It's like the spasms were picking out the places i've already hurt at and attacking those areas. I have gerd, cystitis of my bladder and have had pain in my back for years but I never hurt in my kidneys before. This actually started out as a kidney infection (uti) that was very hard to get rid of and the spasms didn't start until after I got the infection. I am at very high risk for bladder cancer and am going through testing to see if I have ovarian cancer because a complex cystic lesion was found on my left ovary. So I kind of wonder if these type of spasms could be caused by cancer. My doctors do not seem to know much about it either. And it's very frustrating. I figure that a muscle relaxant would help the spasms but I don't know for sure. I hope your mom gets better from the cancer. Thanks.
|

replied October 30th, 2004
Cancer & Spasms
I am interested in more informaton about the painful spasms that your mother is having. Does it feel like tightning or squeezing pain in her bladder along with sharp, cutting & burning pain? It sounds similar to what has been happening to me. My pain variates from mild to extremely severe and is 100% worse with the spasms. And I cannot make it through a day without taking a pain pill now. These spasms became widespread throughout my body and caused my bladder, kidney, stomach organ and esophagus to feel very raw and painful and it really scared me because I didn't know if the spasms could cause problems or damage to my internal organs because this isn't any ordinary muscle spasm because it should not hurt your organs like that. But it has done that to me. I have been going through this all month and my pain never goes away now. And I believe it has caused some of my organs to get inflamed. I think I got an overreaction of my muscles from a drug interaction of antidepressants. But I still have the problems even after getting those medications out of my system but it isn't as horrible and widespread as before. Now I just have them in my left kidney, bladder, abdomen and stomach organ and they don't tighten up as bad. It's like the spasms were picking out the places i've already hurt at and attacking those areas. I have gerd, cystitis of my bladder and have had pain in my back for years but I never hurt in my kidneys before. This actually started out as a kidney infection (uti) that was very hard to get rid of and the spasms didn't start until after I got the infection. I am at very high risk for bladder cancer and am going through testing to see if I have ovarian cancer because a complex cystic lesion was found on my left ovary. So I kind of wonder if these type of spasms could be caused by cancer. My doctors do not seem to know much about it either. And it's very frustrating. I figure that a muscle relaxant would help the spasms but I don't know for sure. I hope your mom gets better from the cancer. Thanks.
|