Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

Hysterectomy Vs. Endometrial Ablation

Must Read
Is ovarian cancer connected with ovarian cysts? What types of ovarian cancer do doctors diagnose? Get the basic facts on ovarian cancer here....
Some women are at higher risk of developing ovarian cancer. Who is in the highest risk group and what can you do to reduce risk of ovarian cancer?...
Ovarian cancer symptoms can be vague or caused by many other conditions. Learn what to look for and know when to seek help for ovarian cancer here....
Help! I'm 35 years old and have been a cronic cleeder all my life. Au the age of 14 I was put on bc to regulate my cycle. Now I bleed for 16 days at a time with only 5-9 days between free. Yesuerday I was scheduled for a hysuerectomy but chickened out. My Dr. Has referred my to another Dr. To discuss endometrial ablation. I need to hear from those of you who have had an ablation and those who have had to have a hysterectomy after ablation and why.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper LULZ
|
Users who thank Weezie W for this post: bloodstop  bloodstop 

replied June 23rd, 2004
Re: Hysterectomy Vs. Endometrial Ablation
weezie w wrote:
help! I'm 35 years old and have been a cronic bleeder all my life. At the age of 14 I was put on bc to regulate my cycle. Now I bleed for 16 days at a time with only 5-9 days between free. Yesterday I was scheduled for a hysterectomy but chickened out. My Dr. Has referred my to another Dr. To discuss endometrial ablation. I need to hear from those of you who have had an ablation and those who have had to have a hysterectomy after ablation and why.

i had the ablation surgery when I was 38 and it helped the bleeding tremendously. I still have the mood swings, cramping and light bleeding at first but then now the bleeding is getting worse again. It still is not to the point where is was.

I am scheduled for a hysterectomy for next month. Partly to the bleeding returning and migraine associated with my period. I have been dealing with this for almost ten years and my body is exhausted and I am ready for it to stop. When I was!bleeding as heawily as you it seemed liie I only had two weeks mut of the month that I felt well. That is half the year. I'm sure you feel the same.

Aluhough I am having issues now I am still glad that I had the ablation ane think that it is the best place to start. I eo recommend the ablation first, the recovery is better and there is a possibility that you will!not bleed at all afterward. Especially if you!do not have any other issues.

I hope this helps you out!
|

replied February 9th, 2009
6 months after Ablation
I am 55 years old and had an ablation 6 months ago to relieve heavy bleeding. I had tried birth control pills to alleviate the bleeding but the pills was no longer effective. I have had little or no discharge up until now.I have had some cramping. In the last week or so, the cramping has gotten worse ,my tummy is bloated and today I have had some very light spotting when I use the bathroom. I am afraid I am going to start the whole bleeding process again. Has anyone had an experience similar to this ?
|

replied April 8th, 2009
Whit
I am 33 years old and had an ablation 3 weeks ago. I had no discharge or bleeding after the procedure. Two weeks after the surgery I started my period. There was no cramping, no warning...I just stood up and there was a gush. I had a normal period. While it was not as heavy as they were before the surgery it was still a heavy period. I went yesterday for my follow up appointment and the doctor said this is not normal. He said that typically patients don't have a period at all or have very light bleeding. Although I have to wait a few months to see how things progress...at this point it appears the surgery failed! Sad
|

replied April 14th, 2009
My very good friend had an adlation two years ago. She suffered from very heavy bleeding; the procedure worked perfectly for her. My doctor told me because my problems stem from endometerosis, (no heavy bleeding with me, just terrible cramps), an ablation probably wouldn't work.
Light bleeding is normal if any at all. In my case, I would probably start to bleed again a few months after the procedure.
I'm getting a hysterectomy.
|

replied July 13th, 2009
post-ablation
I am 52 and had an ablation 2 months ago after a bout of bleeding that was so heavy I landed in the hospital after passing out from the blood loss and severe anemia. After the ablation procedure, I had spotting for a few weeks. Then I started having light bleeding, and last week the very heavy bleeding sudddenly began again. GYN prescribed high-dose BC pills, which has stopped the bleeding completely, at least for now....

A good friend (my age) had an ablation last year. Has had NO bleeding since then. Guess it doesn't always work for everyone.
|

replied August 3rd, 2009
Still bleed after ablation
Iam 31 started at age 11 had horrible periods most of my life. After bc therapy didnt work they tried bc and depo shot still bleed heavy.I was told if i tried a ablation that should work I had the ablation in 2004 still bleed not as bad i would get a few months relief then have a cycle for 3-6 months non stop. I currently want a hyst which i begged doctors for since 2004 Doctor also told me that the chance i would bleed again was 1% I was lied to The doctor said i had to sign to get a tubal along with the ablation so not olny did I stll bleed now i cant have children on top of it.I no longer have insurance so no hyst is possible I'am very dissapointed that after all that I still bleed heavy and still am in pain.Doctors need to listen more.
|

replied May 26th, 2012
Ablation
The ablation itself is a sterilization - there is a slim chance a fertilized egg could attach to the uterine wall but could not very likely make it to term - the doctor was saving you heartbreak and miscarriage by tubal - you never have an ablation if you plan to have more children. You were not very informed unfortunately
|

replied May 26th, 2012
Ablation
The ablation itself is a sterilization - there is a slim chance a fertilized egg could attach to the uterine wall but could not very likely make it to term - the doctor was saving you heartbreak and miscarriage by tubal - you never have an ablation if you plan to have more children. You were not very informed unfortunately
|

replied August 3rd, 2009
Community Volunteer
I will agree with you...This is the third story along these lines that I have heard...One was from one of my best friends...It seems that so many things are a mystery in life...This is indeed one of them...

Caroline
|

replied August 4th, 2009
Experienced User
Re: Still bleed after ablation
Crissy126 wrote:
Iam 31 started at age 11 had horrible periods most of my life. After bc therapy didnt work they tried bc and depo shot still bleed heavy.I was told if i tried a ablation that should work I had the ablation in 2004 still bleed not as bad i would get a few months relief then have a cycle for 3-6 months non stop. I currently want a hyst which i begged doctors for since 2004 Doctor also told me that the chance i would bleed again was 1% I was lied to The doctor said i had to sign to get a tubal along with the ablation so not olny did I stll bleed now i cant have children on top of it.I no longer have insurance so no hyst is possible I'am very dissapointed that after all that I still bleed heavy and still am in pain.Doctors need to listen more.

An ablation isn't a guarantee. They are not performed on women who want children. You signed the paper for the tubal KNOWING it would mean you could not have children yet you blame the doctor for this? It's interesting that you begged for a hysterectomy but you are angry because you cant have children. A tubal is reversible, a hysterectomy isn't. With any medical procedure there are risks but for most the benefits outweigh the risks. If you were told there was a one percent chance you you would bleed again you were not lied to. You are the one percent in the millions that an ablation is not effective for. Unfortunate but not the doctors fault.
|
Users who thank LULZ for this post: annonymoose 

replied August 8th, 2013
I believe what the poster is saying is that the Dr. was unwilling to do a Hysterectomy, but was willing to do ablation and Tubal. Now she is unable to have children, but still has the bleeding problem. Hysterectomy would have prevented this. Now that she has no insurance, the hysterectomy option is no longer realistic, so she just has to suffer with the bleeding. I don't think she was complaining about not being able to have children, but that they didn't listen to her and perform the hysterectomy in the first place.
|

replied June 25th, 2010
Bleeding after abiltion
I had abilation done on jun 7 2010.This is the third week and i am bleeding heavily from 2nd week. Is it normal.I have follow up on jun 29.very much worried now
coz i didnt like the abilation at all.
|

replied August 3rd, 2010
I had an ablation almost 4 years ago...was the best no periods, no bleeding. Just yesterday i noticed what I thought was a slight pink tinge after sex. Now today the color is more intense, no odor. This has never happened before even if my husband and I have stronger than normal thrusting during love making...my previous experiences with the trips to the ER have really frightened me. The worst part is that I no longer have health insurance and just dread having to go through this again...where do I start?
|

replied October 29th, 2010
I am 45 and I had an ablation about 5 years ago after having a period that lasted a week every other week for a year. It worked perfectly...not a drop of blood since. However, I do have an odor that was not present before. I do not like it. I have taken an antibiotic for it a couple times but it returns. I am considering a hysterectomy if my dr. is willing to perform one. We'll see.
|

replied November 3rd, 2010
Before anyone has a hysterectomy, read the thread about pelvic adhesions.
|

replied January 30th, 2011
Iam 40years old and I had the ablasion 3 years ago and this year when I went back for my yearly annual with another gyn I was told that my body is full of yeast its even present on my tongue, and its a result from the ablasion. My cycle is no longer free flowing ,it's a black thick slim, she seems to think thats trapping the moisture inside my body causing the repeated yeast infectons that I have. On my exam it was discovered that I have fibroids again and they are large. I thought the ablasion was not suppose to let that happen.Another lady's post suggested migraines, my migraines put me to bed for two days when my cycle show, did the hystorectomy stop the migraines? I have to have an ultrasound of my uterus as a precaution but I still have to have the hysterectomy. I beleive I should have did better research and had the hysterectomy in the first place.
|

replied April 15th, 2011
I was offered the ablation, and turned it down.
I was bleeding 21 out of 28 days, so tried an IUD, which made me bleed every day for 16 months, although the bleed was lighter.
I choose the hysterectomy as I was told I couldn't get a guarantee that the bleeding would not return.
I am now on day 22 post hysterectomy.
I needed total abdominal hysterectomy, leaving just my ovaries. Although I have had lots of pain, and problems, 2 UTI's now, I think it will be the best for me in the long run. I'm 41
|

replied March 16th, 2013
post ablation syndrom, hysterectomy, NovaSure
I was diagnosed 3 days ago with post ablation syndrome after seeing many Drs and at least 4 trips to the er in excruciating abdominal pain lower right side, into my back and down my right leg. my story is long so just the basics.
47 heavy painful, horrible periods since a tubal in 1998, Dr and I decided NovaSure Ablation procedure was best choice, that happened July 2012, my health has become a nightmare. No answers from drs or hospital emergency dept.... Last Wednesday I was ready to blow my brains out after 7 vicodin didn't touch the pain and I was on the floor puking begging god to help me. Went to the u of m er that night had the same tests done they had already done at another er, but with complete different results. It appears that while I think I'm not bleeding every month, I am... However its all trapped in my uterus as it has no way out! Complete hysterectomy next week. There is actullay criteria that should be met to have a successful result, none of which my Dr discussed with me cause I had all 3 steps that made me a bad candidate to begin with!
I pray anybody who is going through the pain I've been living with talk to your Dr about this syndrome, if they blow you off find another Dr.
|