Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

Having An Abortion.. Side Effects? (Page 1)

Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...
Please dont flame me, ive made up my mind.

Im having a surgical abortion on friday. I am at 2 1/2 months (a little past being able to have a medical one, im not happy about that)
i would like to know what I should physically excpect afterwords.
And I would like to know, from someone who has experienced it, what goes on during.

Please reply.

Annie
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile sandyallen
|

replied June 25th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
I havent had one and never will but I know someone who else so id like to tell you.
Do you mean a dialation and extraction when you say surgical? Because my friend had one at 6months pregnant and I believe this is what youre referring to. They induced labour and then the following morning she went to theatre where the baby (yes it was a baby not a fetus) was 'extracted' using forceps and the head and limbs torn apart. My friend didnt talk about her experience to me for about 5 months after but when she did I was horrified.She had a terrible experience-she bled very heavily (and still is despite this being months ago) and had many large clots.She was given hardly any pain relief and during the 'operation' her blood pressure went sky high.She was in so much pain she couldnt walk and barely even move and the doctor precribed paracetamol which hardly touched the pain. I know she was 6months and your not even half of that but it is a serious thing to do so please make sure you know the facts before you go ahead.I know that not everyone will have a bad experience like her but she said she'd never have one again.
Can I ask how old you are and why your having the abortion?
Liz
|

User Profile
replied June 26th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Sparkypixie12, wow 6 months is awfully late for an abortion, something must have really gone wrong with your friends baby or your friend that is not too good, has the Dr. Checked her out for an infection or seen if he could cauterize or do something to help her with the pain or bleeding if I were your friend I would be asking that dr(?) questions, as this shouldn't be happening or find another Dr. And get another opinion!
Sincerely,
sandy
|

replied June 26th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Actually no sandy there was nothing (caps) wrong with the baby.It was 15inches long & perfectly healthy Sad .The baby was just inconvinient (should have thought about that when she never bothered to use any contraception at all)
to be honest,i think she's bledding so badly because she had a miscarriage but she's not sure.She had two huge clots she told me & her 'period' was heavy so I believe she had a miscarriage (she's still not using contraception)
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Hi annie! Hope you are doing o.K.! I am not down on you! You have to do what you feel is right!
Sincerely,
sandy
|

replied July 1st, 2004
Experienced User
Oh lordy..Sammy shutup...Take it to the debate room, sorry to the main poster..Ignore samie
|

replied July 2nd, 2004
Best Wishes
Annie,

try not to worry. I'm sure having an abortion at 2 1/2 months is completely different from 6. Unfortunately, I can't tell you what it is like (i had a medical abortion at 5 weeks a few months ago). If you can, try to get someone close to you to bring you to your appointment or at least spend some time with you after. My boyfriend and best friend (the only people that knew) were very supportive and it helped a lot.

And liz: as for your friend, I think someone needs to sit down and have a talk with her. Having unprotected sex is so dangerous, and you'd think she'd be shocked into reality after that experience, but I guess not. I'm as pro-choice as they come, but I was shocked to read that she had an abortion at 6 months!! Please try to get her some help.

Jen
|

replied July 3rd, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Jen-she will never learn.Trust me. Ive tried talking to her & offered to go to the doctors with her but oh well if it happens again she's on her own because I just know that it will. I dont think anyone, no matter how pro choice they were could say her reasons were 100% justifiable.Oh well
|

replied July 5th, 2004
Active User, very eHealthy
Hi annie, please read on the abortion debate forum (because it got moved) "its your choice - know your choices" it is not the same direct approch to abortion as you may find elsewhere but I think you should read it.
|

replied July 5th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
If you do read that post that samie wants you to, just know that most of the information is not correct. Samie likes to take quotes from people and say that they are "fact" when they are indeed only opinion.
|

replied July 6th, 2004
Active User, very eHealthy
Read it and you decide!

Hotasfrick please (on the actual post on the debate forum) show me where the things I posted are not true and prove or atleast support you claims
|

replied July 6th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Look samie, I am not going to debate with you here. It is not the time or the place. You know darn well which posts (almost all where you start rambling with your quotes and "facts") are nothing more then someone's opinion. And a lot of your "abortion facts" posts are not true. I know several women who have had abortions and describe the procedure/pain (or lack thereof), and the depression that you seem to think all women get, completely differently from you.
Once again, I am sorry you had a bad experience, but that does not make your experiences "fact" for all women. So, let's keep this out of the abortion forum. Take it to the debate forum, samie.
|

replied July 7th, 2004
Hi sweetheart,it is completley your choice to have the abortion.I had an abortion at 2 1/2 months,i was fine afterwards you will be too,goodluck with everything
much love to you xoxoxoxox
|

replied July 13th, 2004
I hope I can help with your question because this isn't a debate forum. I had a surgical at 2 1/2 months also. If you are young, no children,or very far along they will insert a lamineria, which gradually opens your cervix over night. This is what I had. The next day they do a pelvic,ultrasound and then inject pain killer into your cervix. This was the part I was worried about the most. It felt like a very cold stream of water on my cervix that was it, when injected. The cramping was uncomfortable during the suctioning but not during the curettage but bearable. Each woman is different though. Took about 5 minutes then done. My embryo measured in the millimeters at the time. I can't remember exact length only that it was millimeters. If you have had children I believe they manually open the cervix to the size of your pinky finger 2cm and this is nothing compared to being 10cm dilated when you give birth. I have two children and that is extremely painful did it natural childbirth. I will never do that again. Hope everything works out for you. Try not to let "horrible" stories scare you into not doing what you feel is right for you. Yes some regret it and some don't. Good luck to you.
|

replied July 13th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Nikl....You described it exactly how my friends did. Thanks for helping her out.
|

replied July 27th, 2004
I had an abortion about 17 years ago (at about 8-9 weeks) and never had any problems at all. It was done as an out-patient and I was only there a few hours. It was the right decision for me and I have never regretted it.
Good luck.
|

replied August 5th, 2004
I Had a Medical Abortion 1 Month Ago.
Hi I just wanted to let you know I had a medical abortion 1 month ago. It's not that great.But it's your choice whatever works for you!
|

replied March 11th, 2005
Hi everyone today I had my first abortion I was only 9 weeks and the surgery was not that bad or painful I do not believe in abortions and did not want to get one just to get out of my responsiblity me n boyfriend have been together for 3 years and he had become mentally and physically abusive to me in the past 5 months even though my boyfriend's mood changed like the weather he was unpredictable and I did not want to bring a baby into this world with that kind of environment even though abortion I believe is wrong to do just make sure if you do decide to get it done make sure that it is your decision and that you wont regret doing it.
|

replied March 12th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Ok, can someone do an ip check on the last 2 people?
|

replied March 12th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
We are happy that the complications and discomfort was minimal. Congratulations with you taking your life back and live for yourself rather than in the shaddow of the problems with your x-bf.
|
12 >>