Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cystic Fibrosis Forum

Cystic Fibrosis Choice

Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
My aunt recently wed in december and is now 3 months pregnant. She just discovered that she is the carrier of the cf gene. Her husband is going to be tested also and if he is positive they will perform an ambiosentisis. If the baby has cf they will have an abortion. I need to send her some information that will hopefully change their minds about bringing their beautiful baby into this worl sick or not and at least letting it have a chance at some kind of life! If anyone has anything please let me know.

Thank you
kelsie
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 16th, 2005
Well. From wat I remember about cf. If both parents have hte gene its like there is a 25 % chance that the baby will have cf, a 50% that the baby will be a carrier, and a 25% that the baby will be a none carrier. Now I had a sister who had it. I dont have it bc me and my sister had different dads. So I dont know if I would still carry it even tho if my dad didnt carry it. My mom wants me to get tested. I hope this info helps and your rite they should bring this baby in the world even tho if its sick or not.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied November 3rd, 2005
Experienced User
Cf
Hi my name is jessica and I wanted to say that I pray the baby is healthy weather the dad carries the gene or not. But if it is the will of a higher power than let it be done. Every child is a blessing I wont lie having a sick child is hard emotionally stressful and sometimes more than people think they can bare. But think of all the joys strengths this baby can do to one or a whole family. I am almost 20 I was diagnosed at 4 mon. And life has been wonderful I couldn't ask for more. I wouldn't change the fact that I have cf or was born with cf I think it gives you kinda a diff. Outlook on life. May god lead you and your loved ones on this journey and remember prayer is the most effective way to fight the unknown. God bless you all
jessica
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied November 6th, 2005
It seems to me everyone is thinking about the rights of the baby, and weather or not it should be allowed to live having cf. You must keep in mind that if the parents are not able or willing to care for a sick little monkey hen it would be cruel to force it upon them and the child.

I am a husband of a pwcf and it has been very very hard to care for her over the last decade. There is not only the financial stresses but the emotional heartache of fighting a losing battle. My wife and I cannot have any children due to complications with cf, if we were able to and the baby tested positive for cf we would abort as well. I know personally I could not emotionally go through this pain again, I don't think I would be able to provide the care needed to ensure the survival of a pwcf, it's too draining on me. Maybe that's how your aunt feels, maybe she's not mentally able to cope with that diagnosis.

Before you people say that they should bring another sick child into this world, you should consider the people who would be doing all the work, it would be unfair to the child otherwise.

:(
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied May 30th, 2006
I Tend to Agree
Yes the baby may be beautiful, but you must think of the quality of life for the child. What kind of life it is to have your life (school, etc) being interupted by frequent trips to the hospital, everyday pt, medication, abdominal pain, breathing therapies, breathing difficulties, depression, and feeling just plain old miserable. I have cf (and now diabetes thanks to cf). I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 3rd, 2006
Cf
I lost a big sis due to cf I was only 10 and she was 12 that was in 1987 ,i know my mom spent alot of time at the hospital and we spent x-mas's there too.But my sister appriciated everyday she was alive and knew it was time when she passed ,today they have many more treatments and meds for this illness,so I will disagree in abortion.My wife and I where both tested for the gene I have it and she does not but,infortuantley we have not been able to concieve ,we are looking into adoption ,we are only 29 and 28 ,life is tough but with the lords guidance we can do anything
|
Did you find this post helpful?