Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Complications during Pregnancy Forum

Corpus Luteal Cyst

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
Hi,
i found out I am pregnant the other day, and went to hospital for ultrasound as I am having pains on left side.I got told I have a corpus luteal cyst. I haven't a clue what this is. I suspect I have had for a while. Can it cause problems in the pregnancy....?? Someone please help me....
Chloe
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 21st, 2003
Active User, very eHealthy
Corpus Luteal Cyst ?
Chloemr,

i was actually reading about this on another forum so I have posted their replys on this subject for you to look at, I hope this helps:

at wed, 26 feb 2003, misty blue wrote:
hi my daughter is 21 yrs old and is about 11 weeks pregnant. She was told she has a large corpus luteal cyst on her right ovary. It was 15mm last scan. She had a cyst (not this type) removed not long ago, from her left ovary. Since that cyst was removed she had remained almost pain free till falling pregnant. Is this cyst causing the pain, which she says is almost identical to the pain from the previous cyst. Also because of the size of the corpus cyst, can it cause pregnancy problems and if so could someone tell me what they are. Thankyou.

Concerned mum

i am 11 weeks pregnant and I also have a corpus luteal cyst on my left ovary. My cyst is only 1.5cm. It causes some pain only when I sneeze and cough. I was told that this is quite normal during pregnancy and will disappear around the 16th week of pregnancy. I was told that was the ovary I ovulated from. However, my cyst is preventing the corpus luteum from producing the hormone progesterone which your body needs to maintain a pregnancy. My progesterone was dangerously low and I was started on supplements. The corpus luteum is responsible for making the progesterone for the pregnancy until the placenta takes over around the 12th week.

--
just waiting

hello misty blue,
i am currently 6 weeks pregnant and have cysts on both ovaries, one measuring 7 cm (70 mm!) doctor is not very concerned...Says that they tend to go away during pregnancy, but if they don't they can be aspirated in the second trimester relatively safely without hurting the baby. They won't do much about a 15 mm cyst...Unless it gets bigger or causes pain. Besides, as far as I know, the corpus luteal cyst is functioning to help the pregnancy out. She might also be feeling some aching from her muscles stretching out to accomodate the pregnancy, not necessarily from the cyst itself. One of my (regular, not corpus luteal) ruptured on monday and they didn't do anything except give me pain meds...They said it wouldn't hurt the baby and there's nothing to do for it right now except keep an eye on them. Doctor said something about how the progesterone produced during pregnancy will usually cause cysts to go away on their own. I wouldn't worry too much unless she has severe pain which could mean the ovary has twisted on itself (torsion) and would require immediate surgery. I was assured by my doctor that if that happens, you know it because the pain is so intense and unbearable. Tell her to call her doctor if she needs help or has any questions. Good luck, and enjoy being a grandma!
|

replied August 10th, 2010
i have had 2 miscarriges,i was 7 weeks pregnant on the 1st miscarriage and at the scan they found a cyst 8cm by 8 on my right ovary, the hospital didnt give me a name for the cyst and said it wasnt the cause for my miscarriage, they sent me home with no answers and i had to return for a later scan to see if the cyst had gone, fortunately it did go but they found another cyst on my left ovary 4cm by 4, the hospital said it wasnt a problem and it was common and they didnt need to see me again and that i could start trying again for another baby. i caught pregnant and at 9 weeks i had a 2nd miscarriage, this time round i wanted answers, at the scan they found a cyst on my left ovary 2cm by 2 which was the same one as before and this time round they gave me a name CORPUS LETEUM, that night i did my own reasearch and was shocked to find out that this was a cause for both of my miscarraiges, my progesterone levels must of been low which with inadequate progesterone levels my uterine lining begings to break down, if however i was prescribed progesterone supplements it would have helped me maintain my pregnancy. i cant believe this as i only lost my 2nd baby on the 5th aug 2010 and now waiting to see if the doctor can help me and give me theses supplements as the hospital dosnt have time to help. do i need to take these asap and will it help me this time? a worried 33 year old...
|

replied June 10th, 2011
corpus luteum cyst
Hi, Thank you. I also lost 2 miscourages but the first 2 never told me what was the problem. Now am pregnant again and my scanread that i had Corpus Luteum. I am yet to see my Doc on Tuesday and we will discuss this in details.
Thank you for sharings. I am currently 10 weeks pregnant.
|

replied June 27th, 2011
Corpus luteum cyst
Hello! I had 2 miscariages also in the past. i am pregnant again for the third time and found out today i had this corpus luteum cyst.. I am worried too. I dont want the same thing to happen again. Im 12 weeks pregnant at the moment.

I have check up again on july 16 and will discuss this matter with the doctor.

Im just praying that this will go on its own as it usually happens on second trimester.

Did someone outhere experience the same?

What happened?
|

replied July 13th, 2011
Corpus luteum cyst during pregnancy
Hi, I am at the beginning of pregnancy and do have the cyst too. My doctor said it is not need to worry, but she suggested me to avoid sports (running, volleyball, anything where you jump or twist your hips), the reason is that the cyst could turn and cut the little baby from nutrition - this risk will be gone when placenta starts to nourish the baby. The cyst should disappear during the 4th month of pregnancy. As I have read other forums, usually things go well, you need to be patient and try not to worry.
|

replied July 29th, 2011
corpus luteum cysts in pregnancy
Hi,

I was hospitalised for my corpus luteum cysts. I had two and my ovary was grossly enlaged to 10cm. Because of the size the ovary had "dropped" to low position, behind my spine, causing an agonising pain. As has been stated before, it is unbearable and unmistakable. An operation was on the cards to remove it, which as I was seven weeks pregnant at the time wasn't something I wanted. I was EXTREMELY lucky and the ovary corrected itself, the pain ceased after about 6 hours (I was on a great deal of intravenous pain relief previous to this) and I managed to avoid the operation. After an overnight hospital stay I was allowed home and told to be cautious and come in immediately if the pain started again.

I am now 10 weeks pregnant and have had an outpatients appointment to check on the cysts and they are thankfully reducing in size AND the ovary is in the correct position. My consultant has told me that UNLESS it twists the last thing they will do is remove the cysts as it is these that are SUPPORTING the pregnancy and PRODUCING THE PROGESTERONE, until the placenta kicks in. Removal of the cysts frequently ends in miscarriage.

If you read about corpus luteum in the female reproductive cycles youll find that these do indeed PRODUCE the necessary progesterone in the second half of the cycle that HELP you get pregnant and stay pregnant. It is just the case for some that they may get a little large in pregnancy.

Hope this clears up the confusion with the cysts being the bad guys and halting progesterone. THEY DON'T.
|

replied May 4th, 2012
hi, i am 25 years old. i just went to the doctors' and was told i have a 11cm cyst in my left ovary. i do not feel pain except upper back pain. the doctor said i have to be operated on. i do not know if i should as i am scared for my baby and for myself. please i need some advice
|

replied January 31st, 2013
large corpus luteum in pregnancy
hi i am 30yrs pregnant with first baby at 7.5 weeks i was diagnosed with a corpus luteum very large cyst 20 cm i was told to come back at 14 weeks which i had consultant visit yesterday cysts aspiration has been ruled out with talks of surgery will be going back at 17 weeks and date will be set. On asking questions i was told the cysts supports the pregnancy at 10 weeks the placenta takes over and the cyst should start to be re absorbed by the body with large cyst this is unlikely to happen very quickly and with the baby competing for growing space and other organs impacted by the cysts the benefits of leaving the cyst there is reviewed with the benefits of the surgery. scary one to have to undergo surgery suggested spinal block to eliminate risks to baby anyone else gone through this
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul