Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Q and A Forum

Group B Strep

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
So the next time I go ot the dr I will be 35 weeks and 5 days & she said we were gonna do the gbs test. I know what gbs is and all that but I was just wondering what the test itself consisted of. Does the culture get taken from your cervix? Or is it something that is just taken from the vaginal canal? I guess I could have asked my dr yesterday but I didnt so im asking you guys!! :d thanks in advance
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 17th, 2004
Gbs Test
I got the test also.. They swabbed me in the inside.. So I think its the cervix
|

replied August 26th, 2004
Experienced User
Group b strep test is where they swab your vagina and rectum, then send it off to the lab. They say that up to 40% of people carry this inside of them. It is not harmful to the carrier, but if passed on to the baby (during delivery) it can be fatal. I had it when I delivered my twins and all they do differently is give you a dose of antibiotics every four hours until you deliver. I also took oral antibiotics the week before I was due. Hope that helps someone:)
|

replied September 14th, 2004
I also had group b. Right before I found out, I read an article in a fit pregnancy magazine. I was shocked to find out alot of women have it even when they are not pregnant.
|