Medical Questions > Mens Health > Mens Conditions Forum

Bad Breath (Page 1)

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
I seem to have bad breath that has a fecal odor to it. I am a healthy guy with no known problems. What could be the cause of this? I brush my teeth regularly, but it does not make a difference.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper gotfindacure
|

replied June 20th, 2004
Do you brush your tongue? I brush my tongue with plax twice a day and before going to sleep. Also mouthwash before going to bed.
Keeps the germs at bay and my mouth feeling fresh.

Hope this helps...
|

replied June 21st, 2004
Yeah, I do brush my tongue. However, I did read somewhere that certain types of bad breath are not directly related to the mouth? Some come from the stomache. Is this true? What should I do?
|

replied June 29th, 2004
Hope Is Here!
Hello, a couple of years ago my last wisdom tooth started cutting through my gum. My breath became really foul to the point where I could actually smell it. It put me in a massive panic - I thought that i'd never be able to speak to anyone face to face again. I thought my wife would lose interest in me. I really was scared. After a while the wisdom tooth came through and my mouth started to heal. The smell died down but I could tell it was still there (if it was really bad before now it was just bad). Enough to make me self conscience about talking to people. I started to realise that I probably had this smell on my breath even before the tooth incident.

Anyway I started reading up on the internet finding as much information as I could and trying as many products as I could. Finally I have found one product that trully works. It's incredible. It's called:

blis k12 throatguard

it was developed to treat throat infections but in doing so also treats bad breath. More on that later.

Here's a list of what i've learned in my research:
  • bad breath is caused by bacteria in the mouth or throat. So it doesn't matter how hard you brush or how strong the mint the bacteria is resilient and will always be there.
  • the thing about licking the back of your hand is not always true. My bad breath originates in the throat so it doesn't work for me.
  • the chlorine dioxide products didn't work for me. It makes your mouth smell like a pharmacy and it doesn't seem to eliminate the odour completely.
  • you can get mouthwashes to kill the bacteria but they always regenerate within hours.
  • despite what people say you can tell if your breath smells. You usually catch a whiff of it when you are talking or sometimes when you yawn or whatever. Generally I think that if you suspect you might have bad breath it means you probably have bad breath. The metalic taste in the throat is a dead cert.

the throatguard contains a mouthwash and 12 lozenges. The mouthwash kills bacteria in the mouth and throat. The lozenges contain a type of good bacteria (streptococcus salivarius k12) that forms naturally in the mouth of "normal" people Smile. So you wipe out the bad bacteria and replace it with good bacteria. The lozenges don't contain sugar (just the bacteria and a strawberry flavour) so you can brush your teeth as normal in the morning then use the mouthwash then 1 1/2 to 2 hours later you can take the first lozenge. Then take another in another 1 1/2 to 2 hours then the next, etc. Your supposed to take 4 a day. There is dosage enough 3 days.

I finished my first dose on sunday (29th june) and i'm pretty sure there is a difference - I don't have the metallic taste, my mouth and throat just feel different. It even lasted throughout monday. Today (tuesday) I haven't brushed my teeth yet but I had a salad last night with raw onions so i'm not sure if it will last today. I'll keep you posted. Still though even if it lasts 2 days it will be a bonus. My wife said my breath smelt normal (although I do think she tells me what I want to hear).

One thing, I used all three doses on consecutive days (as instructed on the box - remember it's instructed for people with throat infections). So each morning when I used the mouthwash I killed off the good bacteria and started again. Next time I will use it only when I feel the bad breath creeping in.

Anyway hope this helps. I know how scary and isolating it can be to have this problem. I just hope they develop this technology. Join forces with colgate or something and bring out a whole range of toothpaste's, mouthwashes, chewing gums, etc with the good bacteria in.

There are brighter days ahead - here's hoping!
|

replied June 29th, 2004
Experienced User
Haris,
it is true that your cause of odor isn't necessarily coming from the mouth. Some disorders will cause your breath to smell a certain way and you should see a physician asap. In the health field (i'm in nursing), bad breath is called halitosis. If the breath does indeed smell like feces it may be from prolonged vomiting. If that isn't your case, then it may be a bowel obstruction causing the odor. If the breath ever smells somewhat fruity it is because the body is attempting to rid excess acetone (usually seen in diabetes patients). If it has an ammonia-like odor (urine odor), it is usually associated in people with chronic kidney failure. If previously normal breath turns into halitosis, causes may be certain types of food (cabbage, garlic, coffee) it could also be caused from certain types of supplements and or vitamins. An abscessed or impacted tooth as described by source could also cause a foul odor.
But because you speak of it smelling mainly of feces then I would assume that it is a bowel/intestinal problem which should be sought at immediately.
Best of luck! Hope this helped!
Natalie
|

replied July 14th, 2004
Folks I want to impart some of my knowledge on this subject as it might help some people.

For those with bad breath, have you noticed a white coating of the tongue?
If so, I hear that its called plaque on the tongue and the bacteria that is hidden in the plaque is the reason for bad breath.

I brush regularly with a combination of plax, tea tree oil and grape seed extract. I noticed that I don't even get morning breath with this formulation.

It is imperative to keep the tongue clean in order to have good breath.
|

replied July 15th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Many people do overlook the tongue as a source of bad breath,but, a fecal smell to the breath is something to have a doctor look at.As a previous poster(a nurse)said,it can be a sign of many illnesses.Better to get yourself checked out and be sure nothing else is going on!Good luck!
Pattyv
|

replied December 10th, 2004
Bad Breath
My mother has really bad breath my brother says I do to but I don't notice it, I don't think I do but I don't care, you need to floss. The stuff in between your teeth not only stinks like poo but it is extreamly toxic, so bad that enoguh of it can cause nerve damage. Clean that every other day.
|

replied February 23rd, 2009
Any Updates to solutions of this problem???
Been to a Dentist a Doctor and a Gastroenterologist and none could really help.
|

replied March 12th, 2009
Bad Breath
I had a similar problem and was told about Oxyfresh from my dentist and I tried the power kit it includes:
* Power Rinse � 16 oz.
* Power Paste � 5 oz.
* Super Relief Gel � 1 oz.(US)
* Oxidizing Dental Gel - 1oz.(CANADA)
* Oolitt® Elite Tongue Cleaner
* Breath Mints
* Dental Brochure
* Dental care instruction card
* Clear drawstring bag
I got it from thedcstore.com they have really good prices and way cheaper shipping than anyone else i have seen $3.95

ever since then my breath has been great.....
|

replied March 26th, 2010
poo breath
I came across an eBook from oraltech.com.au and learned alot, I now practice the advice from the book and have finaly got rid of my poo breath after 5 years! when I had poo breath I would prefer death, now alls good I even have a girlfriend!!!
|

replied April 15th, 2010
bad breath halitosis cure post nasal drip cure
I had fecal breath odor for YEARS. Talked to many doctors who I am sure thought that I was crazy....I finally had a friend who suffers too, send me a eBook he bought 5 or 6 months ago he ask me how his breath smelt and I didn't smell a thing. He said the eBook amongst much else had him stop eating dairy food/ soft drinks and coffee/tea. So I’m like reading it and doing all the stuff it says to do. Thinking this has to be bull. But after a few days my tongue started turning red and felt nice. I worked up the courage to ask a friend how my breath smelt and hes like I don’t smell anything. Now I’m thinking all those years of humiliation and I could have solved it ffs! There a site about it called BadhalitosisbreathCom. When I read the site I felt sorry for the guy as he clearly had a real tough time with his bad breath, which pretty much ruined his school years. At lest he found a way to beat his bad breath and is letting others know how. Post this every! where to help people!! Thanks
|

replied April 29th, 2010
I THOUGHT I WAS ALONE
I have been suffering from BB for years now and it is taking a toll on my social life. I have been to so many dentists, none could find anything wrong in my mouth. My former doctor told me that I didn''t have bad breath when I know for sure I have this problem. I had the worst time in High school because of this problem. I didn''t have much fun in College because people would stay away from me, cover their nose, and so fourth. When I''m driving with someone on passenger seat the person would turn away every time I opened my mouth. I exhausted all dental options. On 5/6 I''m schedule to get endoscopy done hopefully I can find the root. I take great care of my teeth and tongue...nothing helps. I use Terra breath products with no results. I feel like the smell is coming from my throat. This is really embarassing.
|

replied May 17th, 2011
Did your endoscopy help?
|

replied April 29th, 2010
Bad Breath Halitosis & Post Nasal Drip
Most like 80% of bad breath gets its food from Post Nasal Drip. Its good cleaning your mouth and all but thats going to do anything for bad breath feeding off Post Nasal Drip. I went through every product on earth and got no where. most people don''t even know they have PND. I orderd a ebook from oraltech.com.au and read its long section on PND you treat yourself at home without buying anything! I did what it said and after a week I had my PND beat and my bad breath was gone. I didn''t know any of this before and I''d read all the BS on the internet. hope this helps you the way it helped me.
|

replied April 30th, 2010
Bad breath from intestines
Dear Gotfindacure,
My young son suffers as well so I understand your frustration. I read on a website about how it may be caused by intestine problem and probiotics may help. We tried it and it worked. When he''s on it, he''s not totally cured, but significantly better. The bad breath seems to occur occasionally, not all the time. If he misses a day or two, it''s back. We bought DDS Probiotics Plus, 5 billion CFU''s, 2 veg. caps a day. You can find it at a health food store. It has improved. Good luck.
|

replied May 18th, 2010
Breath that smells like fecal matter
Haris:

I would not hesitate to get that checked out by your doctor.

According to "The Bad Breath Treatment Guide" ,
liver ailments may cause the breath to have either a fishy smell or smell
like fecal matter.

If the problem is in your liver, no amount of tongue brushing or
dealing with mouth bacteria is going to change it.

I wish you the best. Let us know how you are doing.
|

replied May 26th, 2010
Bad Breath
Has anyone thought about what they are eating????? Let�s be honest and responsible.. I'm not judging by any means but I really do think if you�re eating lots of sweets or salty food that could have a impact on it a little..Before we go looking for medical reasons, take a look at what you�re eating� Evaluate it and then eliminate it from your diet.. Those people that can eat it all and not have any symptoms are the ones we need to be concerned about.. Because in the long run they will have disorders that can�t be dealt with without meds�but for the few who can�t explain it own up, and eliminate the problem (sweets and salty foods). You�ve took the first step in identifying the problem�If it�s a nasal problem then try to get meds
|

replied September 16th, 2010
WOW! Thanks for all the great info. i'm praying for us all!
|

replied October 5th, 2010
me too!
omg i have really bad breath too! ever since i gave birth to my daughter i can just feel my breath smelling like poo and my husband cant tell cuz im emmbaresed to tell him, but sometimes i would open my mouth and he would say oh i think the baby did number 2 . but i know she didnt its my STINKY BREATH! and im soo emmbaresed... Sad
i work as a bartender so i have to speak to people loudly and i cant even do that and feel ok without chowing a new piece of gym every 15 min .
and even then sometimes people would say did u puke? or .. did u eat popcorn?! its nasty and i wish it didnt happend .. i went to the dentist and all my teeth are fine.. just my gums are a little sensative, ugh i just dont know what to do .
|

replied November 1st, 2010
me too! I just don't know what to do. Sometimes my family will say did someone pass gas but I know it's me. My mouth tastes horrible all the time. I can't even drink beer because it leaves a nasty bitter taste in my mouth. What you said sounds just like me.

Desperate in Ohio!
|
12 >>
Quick Reply