Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Lower Back And Hip Pain

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Hiya

i have been having terrible hip pain in my left hip for about 6 to 8 months now. It comes on at different times though is becoming more common, waking up with it in the morning and that sort of thing. When I was 14 (now 19) I had a compression fracture to my l1 vertebra. I was on full bed rest for 6 weeks. I only met with the hospital physio once and got some pool excersises which I did to help get my strength up again however feel like I was dropped from the hospital system. Anyway, I have had problems with my back since. It also affected my neck (well I had neck problems since then). Over the last 5 years I have had physio, osteopath and am now trying the macenzie method with different physios again. They have really helped me to control the pain in my neck with some excersises but have so far not been able to help my back or hip. I am trying lateral (side to side) movements to see if that helps. It gets rid of the pain for only a short time. I have good posture as I know this is important and do regular walking for excersise. I just can't get the hip pain to go away and it hurts! When its playing up I can hardly walk or anything. I had some x-rays of my full spine last year and it showed that the top of l1 is still compressed. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of the hip pain or what could be causing it?

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 19th, 2004
I seem to be getting the same feeling. Im 22. Had the pain since I was 20.
When the pain flares up I limp on my left leg.
If you have had any progress please let me know.
Al
|

replied August 19th, 2004
Anklosing Spondylitisis
I have had that same problem, pain in my hip/lower back area at the s-i joint (if you look in a mirror, it's about at that spot where there's a little line or dimple that most people have). After much confusion, failed tests, (well all but a slight postive in a fana, which is a rhematoid test), I was finally sent to a rhemuatologist who diagnosised me with anklosing spondylitisis or as (i'm sure i'm misspelling it). It's a form of rheumatoid arthrisis and is more prevalent in men than women (lucky me) and also common in people from 15-30ish. With this disease, lack of activity (i.E. Sleeping or sitting for long periods of time) causes the joints to to inflame, causing stiffness and discomfort in the morning and etc. If a person does not seek treatment, which can simply be anti-inflammatory medications such as celebrex, it is highly possible for the effected joints and future joints to fuse together, leaving nothing but solid bone where a joint used to be.
|

replied August 20th, 2004
Thanks For the Reply
Hi. I will check into this further. I have had blood tests before for this and they have all come back negative. Unless they are missing somthing.
Im so worried about this I am suicidal.
Seem to get pain around ball joint of hip also.
Al
|

Thanks For the Reply
Hi. I will check into this further. I have had blood tests before for this and they have all come back negative. Unless they are missing somthing.
Im so worried about this I am suicidal.
Seem to get pain around ball joint of hip also.
Al
|

Re: As
Hey
there isn't a blood test for anklysing s., the only way to really diagnosis is through a bone scan, which is a lot like a mri or something like that except they inject a dye into you before scanning. To find positive results, they look for "hot spots" around the joints. Are you seeing a rheumatologist? Because this makes all the difference! Good luck!

Karen
|

replied August 21st, 2004
Hi Thanks For the Reply Again
I have had 3 mri scans,only one I have results for at the moment.It didnt show anything.
I also had a blood test that the spinal surgeon told me tested for a. Spondosis, I cant prenounce the name either.
I have just had to give up work and now me and my g/f who I have been seing for 3 1/2 years have split up due to the pressure of me not working.I loved her very much.Didnt want her to leave me.
I used to be very sporty but now I have no job, no g/f, still live at home with my parents(i was planning to move out until this happened).
All I want to do is start my life properly but the pain is killing me. I have never felt so down.
Sorry to rant on but this is how it has effected me, I feel as though no other girl would want me due to being like this.I am at rock bottom and dont know how to pick myself up.I am 22,
thanks for your time listening.I hope you have dealt with your pain better than me.
Al
|

replied October 10th, 2004
Hi alex, please check out Matt Furey. His website contains the exercise system "combat conditioning". This involves exercises using nothing but your own bodyweight. One exercise which will be of particular interest to you is called 'bridging'. This movement involves supporting the entire bodyweight on only your forehead and feet, stomach facing up. I know, it sounds extreme but stay with me. This exercise although not very well known has cured thousands of people worldwide of severe back,neck and other pains. The book contains priceless information you will never hear from a doc or physio.
|

replied March 26th, 2005
Have you tried rehabilitaion for a moved pelvic bone it is not therapy it is excercises to put your pelvic bone back in place
|