Medical Questions > Parenting > Parenting Community Forum

Baby Cant Have Bowel Movement

Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....
I have to give my baby glycerin suppositories every 6 days or so because she cant go to the bathroom by herself.. Shes not constipated because her bowel is not hard it just doesnt come out by itself.. Shes only on breastmilk could it be something that i'm eating that would make her have this problem if so what could it be? Thanks bye
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 13th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
It could be something you're eating or it could be that the muscles at the "mouth" of her annus aren't properly developed & will only open with help (i used suppositories on my daughter - now 16) we also found straight (tried watered down first) prune juice was wonderful!! She was about 2 1/2 months old when on the prune juice.

Since then we have also found that she has ibs (irritable bowel syndrome) which means that many foods are basically rejected by her body & so that causes bowel problems as well!

Don't panic, your baby may not have any of these, but check them out one at a time, including perhaps is your milk quality good enough?
|

replied June 13th, 2004
Experienced User
Hey, thanks for the reply.. I think I might have ibs could that have any effect on the baby? Also the doctor told me not to give her prune juice since shes not on solids yet Confused
|

replied June 14th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
1) ibs can be hereditary & this may affect your baby but moer so later than now.

2) my son was on solids at 3 weeks & my daughter at 10 weeks (if I recall rightly) & she was put on prune juice because of the severe constipation before she was put on solids.

3) in the old countries (europe etc) they used to give babies "solids" at about 2 weeks of age according to my local dr (female) whose grandmother was from europe & told her to stop being silly babies don't read books they just scream until they get the food (quantity & quality) that they need & till they get any problems fixed (nappy change, constipation etc!!)

you should check out some of the ibs sites for yourself & your baby, no point her going through more pain & trouble re health etc than necessary.
|

replied July 18th, 2005
Experienced User
Give her water..Lots by bottle
|

replied August 15th, 2005
Solids Shouldn't Be Started Before 4 Months
Omg I cannot believe how many people feed their babies solids before 4-6 months of age. It is not a good idea. Despite what your grandparents or family say. Starting solids too early can cause problems. And feeding babies cereal from bottles can cause constipation and overfeeding.
If a baby is still hungry after a bottle they need more milk. You can't overfeed a baby milk. Also babies go through lots of growth spurts and may need more sometimes than others. :shock:
|

replied August 15th, 2005
Experienced User
My son had a hard time having bowel movements too. I gave him a little prune juice mixed with water and it did work. He was about 2 months when I did that. My doctor also told me that if the prune juice didn't work to try a little karo syrup mixed in his bottle with formula or my milk. The syrup is pure sugar though so I never used it. I could tell when he had to go. If you bend her legs and put them up towards her belly and wipe her it will sometimes stimulate her to push. My son outgrew it. He goes more than fine now.
|

User Profile
replied March 20th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Solids Shouldn't Be Started Before 4 Months
abbysmum wrote:
omg I cannot believe how many people feed their babies solids before 4-6 months of age. It is not a good idea. Despite what your grandparents or family say. Starting solids too early can cause problems. And feeding babies cereal from bottles can cause constipation and overfeeding.

If a baby is still hungry after a bottle they need more milk. You can't overfeed a baby milk. Also babies go through lots of growth spurts and may need more sometimes than others. :shock:

thats research and research is biased I fed my daughter solids at the end of two months at the time she was drinking 60-80 oz of formula a day I asked my dr he said it was fine because opf her fluid intake. I will be starting my son at the end of two months as well oh btw you can overfeed a formula fed baby!!

It just like me giving my daughter homogenized milk at 7 months and at 18 months 2% nothing wrong my dr isnt concerned unless she looses weight considering she 19 months now and 32 lbs!! Every baby is differen so you cannot judge a parent and a parent knows what is best for their child if they dont its called trial and error parenting is the neverending story of learning!
|

replied March 20th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
2 ounces of pedialite and 1tsp of dark karo syrup works good for my little guy.
|

replied February 20th, 2007
Bowel Movement
My son had the same problem starting from when he was about 3 months old and he was exclusively breastfed. He would have a bowel movement every four or five days and I worried about it, but my health visitor said it wasn't really a problem because his stools were soft. I was told it wasn't uncommon for breastfed babies because there is very little waste in breastmilk. I tried prune juice and the sugar syrup but I wish I had just let nature take its course because he still doesn't have a bowel movement every day unless he's ill. So I've accepted this as his own pattern. Hope this helps.
|

replied July 29th, 2009
Feeding infants solids early
You can feed infants plain rice (it is the mildest form) cereal at 2-3 weeks. However, you don't just give them any amount. You start by giving them one or 2 teaspoons at a time in their bottle and work from there. For some infants that is a good amount and for others they need more, you just have to pay attention to how their body reacts to it. It may or maynot constipate them at first but either way when they first start solids they will get constipated. The key is small amounts at a time and knowing your childs bodily reactions. By the way, my children, ages 6-16, are all tall, thin, and have no food allergies. Same goes for my siblings,neices and nephews who were started on rice cereal at 2 weeks of age - contradicting what you may be told about starting solids.
|

replied August 5th, 2009
Hi sckbunny, if your child has a hard time in his bowel movement, it is also an indication that your child has lack liquid. Let him drink more water.
|