Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

Pregnant After Hysterectomy? (Page 1)

Must Read
Is ovarian cancer connected with ovarian cysts? What types of ovarian cancer do doctors diagnose? Get the basic facts on ovarian cancer here....
Some women are at higher risk of developing ovarian cancer. Who is in the highest risk group and what can you do to reduce risk of ovarian cancer?...
Ovarian cancer symptoms can be vague or caused by many other conditions. Learn what to look for and know when to seek help for ovarian cancer here....
Hi

i had a partial hysterectomy in 1994 in san diego, ca. Right now I am currently having symptoms of being 5 months or more pregnant. The middle of my stomach is hard, I am pouchy, and feel a type of kicking/thumping too but all test have come back neg. I had an ultrasound done last week and the results were weak...The coundnt find one of my overies, my spline is shifted to the right a bit and the have no clue what the movement could be!

So if you have any info since please pass it on to my because I am confused and getting very scared Shocked
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Howie4
|

replied July 6th, 2004
Pregnancy Symptoms After Partial Hysterectomy
I had a partial hyst. At 24 and I am 32 now and have all the symptoms of being pregnant also, I was told by my ob/gyn you can still conceive and it is possible to carry another child without a uterus but there are also the possibility of a ovarian or tubal. I am worried about mine to. I have pains on my right and left side my mid tummy around naval is hard, have the nausea and the tired all the time I look like I am about 5 or 6 months along, I am even having the difficulty breathing. I still have to make my appointment going to take a test tomorrow at some point to see what it tells me. I would love to have more children as my surgery was due to a miscarry because of endometriosis. I wish you luck. You are in my blessings.
|

replied December 11th, 2004
Pregnancy After Partial Hysterectomy
Hi, I just found this website and am totally surprised right now. I had a hysterectomy , they left a tube and an ovary. For the last 2 months, i've been experiencing symptoms of pregnancy. I've gained weight, I feel movement and I feel pressure. Is it medically possible to become pregnant after partial hysterectomy? I was kinda embarrassed to talk to my doctor fearing he might think I was crazy for even suggesting it but now I see that i'm not the only one. I sure could use some answers. Thanks, tammy
|

replied December 12th, 2004
Experienced User
There are only a few cases of women getting pregnant after hysterectomy.

Though it's extremely unlikely, if you are one of those rare cases you really need to talk to you doctor. If it is in your tubes, it can rupture and cause uncontrolled internal bleeding.

If it's not a pregnancy, those symptoms can indicate ovarian tumors or other endocrine problems. You should really talk to you doctor. There is another thread on this list that has a few other women discussing the same symptoms - so you're not crazy.

Take care.
|

replied December 30th, 2004
Pregnant After Hysterectomy
Well I am 27 years old and had a partial hysterectomy when I was 25. I thought there was no chance of pregnancy afterwards, but I started having symptoms of pregnancy. I noticed movements as well and have been sick as I would be if I were pregnant. You know how you could feel the hard buldge of what we would consider the baby's head or some other body part, well I can feel that and when I lay down it moves as a baby would. I know it sounds odd and I feel like I am loosing it, but if there is some chance that it could be possible I would love to know because that would be the miracle I have waited for.
|

replied December 31st, 2004
Experienced User
I looked in my hysterectomy booklet and this is what it says for a partial. It says you can not get pregnant but your ovaries continue to produce estrogen and release eggs but these are absorbed by your body. This is from the information booklet I got from my doctor. I hope it helps.
|

replied January 18th, 2005
Help! Very Confused
I had a partial hysterectomy about 7 years ago,does anybody know what the chances are of me getting pregnant?I someone could please help me let me know thank you
|

replied January 25th, 2005
Partial Hyterectomy But Feeling Pregnant??
I had a partial hysterectomy 6 years ago, for the past 2 weeks I have felt like I did when I was pregnant. I have breast tenderness, breast leakage, weight gain, and my body feels like i'm pregnant. Is this possible??
|

replied February 4th, 2005
Snowball, thanks so much for your input. I had a partial three years ago and i've thought about this so many times that it's not even funny. I was wondering what happens to eggs when its released. The thought of getting pregnant after the fact (especially since i'm 35 and don't want anymore kids) is scary but kind of exciting at the same time. I guess if god were to bless any one of us with a child after this proceedure it was destine to happen. That child could be the one to change the world!
|

Snowball, thanks so much for your input. I had a partial three years ago and i've thought about this so many times that it's not even funny. I was wondering what happens to eggs when its released. The thought of getting pregnant after the fact (especially since i'm 35 and don't want anymore kids) is scary but kind of exciting at the same time. I guess if god were to bless any one of us with a child after this proceedure it was destine to happen. That child could be the one to change the world!
|

|

Wow
snowball wrote:
i looked in my hysterectomy booklet and this is what it says for a partial. It says you can not get pregnant but your ovaries continue to produce estrogen and release eggs but these are absorbed by your body. This is from the information booklet I got from my doctor. I hope it helps.

snowball, thanks so much for your input. I had a partial three years ago and i've thought about this so many times that it's not even funny. I was wondering what happens to eggs when its released. The thought of getting pregnant after the fact (especially since i'm 35 and don't want anymore kids) is scary but kind of exciting at the same time. I guess if god were to bless any one of us with a child after this proceedure it was destine to happen. That child could be the one to change the world!
|

User Profile
replied February 14th, 2005
Community Volunteer
Hysterectomy, partial or complete means removal of the uterus/womb.
If you do not have a uterus, there is no suitable tissue for the placenta to implant and nothing to form a protective sac around the baby, therefore any possible pregnancy after a hyst is an ectopic pregnancy and therefore life threatening.
The pregnancy would be ectopic were it implanted in a retained tube, attached to the abdominal wall, or attached to any other internal organ including bladder and kidney - all are life threatening.
|

replied February 16th, 2005
Experienced User
What??
I'm sorry, but I couldn't believe what I was reading! If you've had a hysterectomy, partial or not, you're sterile. There is no way you can get pregnant - there is no uterus. There is no way any sperm can get to an egg, assuming you still have your ovaries (any eggs would just be absorbed back into the body). When the doctor removes your uterus, they create (and completely seal) a vaginal cuff closing off the vagina. There's no place for sperm to go once inside the vagina... Sperm and egg will never connect.
|

replied February 17th, 2005
I never thought it could be possible, but with the symptoms I have been having with breast tenderness, breast leakage, weight gain, nausea and vomiting in the mornings, I went to the doctor. He did some blood test and one of them was a prolactin test which shows that my body is producing milk, and he did other test too, he called me the other day and I have got to have a ultrasound done. He said it was possibility of a couple of things, one a tubal pregnancy or my ovary is not functioning anymore, or a cyst on my ovary. He told me after the ultrasound if nothing was found I would have to have laproscopic surgery, or if I did in fact have a tubal preg. I of course would have to have surgery because it can not be carried. Strange huh???
|

replied March 15th, 2005
Just a Little Update
Just a little update on me... Since I went to Dr. To see if I had a tubal preg. After the ultrasound I found out I have many cyst on my ovary, each one measures about 1cm each. I also have alot of scar tissue. He put me on a birth control patch to see if it would help dissolve the cyst, but I can't wear it, after about a week, I had migraines from the time I woke up until I went to bed everyday. (i already suffer from chronic migraines) when I go back in 2 months, if cyst are dissolved, I have to have surgery. He said that with that many cyst it can really throw your hormones off and make your body sometimes think you are pregnant.
|

replied April 20th, 2005
Re: Pregnant After Hysterectomy?
jekneeleend wrote:
hi

i had a partial hysterectomy in 1994 in san diego, ca. Right now I am currently having symptoms of being 5 months or more pregnant. The middle of my stomach is hard, I am pouchy, and feel a type of kicking/thumping too but all test have come back neg. I had an ultrasound done last week and the results were weak...The coundnt find one of my overies, my spline is shifted to the right a bit and the have no clue what the movement could be!

So if you have any info since please pass it on to my because I am confused and getting very scared :shock:
|

replied May 2nd, 2005
Pregnancy After Hysterectomy
Hello ladies :d

well let me tell you a little about myself ..... I am 35 and in sept. 1999 I had a vaginal hysterectomy. They took only my cervix and uterus. Everything was fine ..... I still had sore breasts each month as you still have your "cycle" even after a hyst. Since yiour overies still produce eggs, but that was all and I had gotten used to it during the 5 years that passed.
Well ..... In october of 2004 I had some severe pain and was rushed to emerg. The doctor on call thought it was my appendix and prceeded to book surgery to remove it. In doing so he ordered blood work which included a pregnancy test. My test came back saying that I was just over 5 months pregnant ( I guess they can tell by how high the count it ...Mine was 4500 ). I was rushed to a different hospital who specialized in ob cancer .... It had to be a tumor because I had a hyst and could never get pregnant ....... Right !!!!! :?
I, in fact did have an ectopic pregnancy, in my right tube. The "mass" as they called it, was the size of a cantelope. I had internal bleeding and my tube was twisting. The Dr. Later told me I was very lucky as it was so close to rupturing which can be fatal. How I asked ???
My Dr. Told me that two things can happen, a tube can be sewn into the vagina leaving an opening or in my case a hole was left either by not being sewn up properly or by my incision not healing closed properly. Leaving just enough room for one of the little fellas to get though, find a tube and swim on up at just at the right time !
When I looked back, I did have the symptoms of a pregnancy, I just ignorded them and thought ....Ok....So my breasts are sore and I am gaining weight .... I put the sore breasts off to still having my overies and my weight gain I blamed on someone else :wink: why not eh ?
If you have symptoms, because unfortunatly when you have overies, you are not sterile, get them checked out ! It could be a tumor, cysts, or as in my case a pregnancy. As rare as they are it happens ....Trust me !! In doing research I have found that there are only 12 reported cased world wide .... Guess I got to be lucky 13 !!
Good luck to you all and keep me posted onhow you are ..... But please .... Don't feel silly going to the dr and asking ... It can happen .... Get it checked out !!

Lisa (howie4)
|

replied May 2nd, 2005
Re: What??
mandilyn wrote:
i'm sorry, but I couldn't believe what I was reading! If you've had a hysterectomy, partial or not, you're sterile. There is no way you can get pregnant - there is no uterus. There is no way any sperm can get to an egg, assuming you still have your ovaries (any eggs would just be absorbed back into the body). When the doctor removes your uterus, they create (and completely seal) a vaginal cuff closing off the vagina. There's no place for sperm to go once inside the vagina... Sperm and egg will never connect.

unfortunately, your not sterile mandilyn. You do still produce eggs and they have to travel though your tubes and are suppose to be absorbed. As you can read in my reply to jekneeleend, it is possible. It is not possible however to carry full term (as I am told) but I had an ectopic pregnancy 5 years after a vaginal hysterectomy. I still had my tubes and overis and one of his little guys made it though a hole in my vagina where the incsion was and into a tube ..... It can happen ! I only wish it would have been "completely sealed" !!
|

User Profile
replied May 2nd, 2005
Community Volunteer
Usually the tubes are removed.
It is a very rare occurence to get even an ectopic pregnancy after a hyst.
|