Medical Questions > Cancer > Lung Cancer Forum

Teenage Daughter Has Popping In Her Chest

Must Read
Start here for facts about lung cancer. We help you understand lung anatomy and outline the different types of lung cancer that doctors diagnose....
Doctors know that smoking tobacco damages the lungs. But does smoking cause lung cancer? And are smoker more at risk of lung cancer than non-smokers? More here....
Early lung cancer symptoms can be difficult to spot. Learn how to identify signs and symptoms and know when to seek medical help for lung cancer here....
My 14 year old daughter started complaining of her chest popping and it hurting when it did last summer. Took her to the doctor and she thought it may have been inflammed muscles on her ribs that was causing it to pop. She gave her some anti inflammitory pills and they seemed to help but she was also not playing anymore sports at the time. Now it has started again and thought it was do to her playing softball again but she is having the pains even when she is not playing sports. The doc sent her to the pediatrician and she wanted to rule out her asthma. Did a chest xray- came back fine. She had a ekg and that came back fine. Today she had a pulmanary test and that came back fine also. So now what? It kinda has me a little scared. I dont know where to do anymore research for this. Anyone have any information
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper bd1012
|

replied June 30th, 2004
Popping In Chest
I have been having a popping feeling in the right side of my chest.It sometimes hurts in the front and the back of my ribs.When I breath in it makes a popping feeling.Also it pops when I turn my head to the left sometimes.Some days its not there and others it is.I have not been to the doc because I am too afraid.I keep thinking it might be something I just don't want to hear.I have to get my courage up to go I know.This has been going on since about feb.It also seems to be worse in the morning sometimes.Anybody else have these strange symtoms or know what it may be from?
|

replied June 30th, 2004
Poppin In Chest
They ran a couple of tests and some xrays and all came back great. The only thing she could come up with is that it was caused from her playing sports and it inflames the tissues or muscles or both around her ribs and joint areas. Its just something she has to learn to live with if she is going to continue playing sports. They gave her some kind of anti inflamitory pill to take only when it hurts and otherwise just take ibprofin.
|

replied July 30th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Personally i'd check out some of the alternative treatments - chiropractors, naturopaths, acupuncture etc - 14 is young to start on such meds & also to be on meds without any real diagnosis - as a mother that would concern me.
|

replied July 30th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Did they give her naproxen?
|

replied September 11th, 2008
Costochondritis, look it up, very common. i also have it..advil helps
|

replied February 2nd, 2010
Popping lungs
I have experienced this as well, and am currently. My right lung was doing this about last year this time, and over time, it went away. Now currently my left lung hurts when I breath in all the way, and hasn't begun popping yet, though I'm sure it will once it gets worked around long enough. I really don't think its something to worry about. I have had this thing happen a pretty long while now, and no negative side effects have come about, except for a little pain right off. If it were me, I would just forget about it. Besides, I think its kinda fun popping it haha.
|

replied February 12th, 2010
Same problems as ur 14 yr. old daughter
same symptoms and same answers i got from my doctor. i really think its something more tho. sometimes i can't catch my breath... the popping is a constant all day thing. It pops all the time and is very uncomfortable. On my right side of my chest... which seems to be where my lung is, and or rib cage it pops and feels all swollen. All X rays and Ultra sounds came back normal. I still have yet to do an EKG. So we'll see. I wish there is something that can be done for the uncomfort atleast. I am worried, and scared that something is going to happen someday.

Also... my doctors "cure" for me was prednisone... not fun stuff to take at all... it put me in the hospital, made me goo crazy! I felt like I was on some sort of speed. It was not fun at all. So I stopped taking it.
|

replied February 12th, 2010
Popping Lungs
Wow you really are doing some unnecessary stuff here. After awhile, the popping will go away. You will eventually get used to it, and when its gone, you will miss it Razz hahaha, sure its uncomfortable at first, but like I said, you'll get used to it eventually. As long as everything turns out ok I really wouldn't worry about it.
|

replied June 24th, 2010
To chief Big Red: I don't think your popping is the same as the rest of us. It is not a fun feeling at all. It is scary and kind of hurts...it is a very unnatural feeling as it feels like a major organ is faulty somehow. My popping sometimes feels conected to breathing, but other times feels connected to movement, so I can't tell which. Almost like a valve opening, or bubbling, or else something was torn inside, then was almost healed but gets re-torn or opened. It sucks. I'm somehow relieved that other people have/are experiencing this. I'm going to check out Costochondritis and look into problems with air leakage from the mediastinum???
|

replied February 19th, 2011
poping in right lung in ribs tords back
i an 22 and have had this same kind of poing in my lung for about 3 years now it feels like its in my ribs tords the back it comes and goes but hurts very much when it pops its not the betst feeling and feels like it itchs after it pops even tough it feels better its hard to pop when it starts just have to sit trough the pain till it pops iv seen countless doctors about it and no one can tell me what it is i just want to know
|

replied February 4th, 2012
I've been having these same symptoms - chest pain, mostly on the right side, with a popping sensation that alternately seems to be in my back or my ribs. Sometimes a slight "bubbling/stretching" sensation when I breathe in. Getting worried, although I have no other negative symptoms
|

replied June 19th, 2012
reply/comment on "popping or bubble in the chest"
Is the popping like an air bubble or is the popping a feeling in the bones? My daughter has popping or what she sometimes describes as bubbles bursting in her chest. She has Takayasu Arteritis, which is autoimmune related and is also a form of Vasculitis. When she has these "bubble pains" she says they are under her ribcage & to the left of her sternum. I'm thinking these pains are related to her illness, & are somehow either in her lung or vessels? Perhaps a constricted or blocked vessel in her lung or a tiny clot traveling in the lung? Any thoughts?
|

replied August 3rd, 2012
Article on 'Popping pain in chest'
My 8 year old son has been complaining of a popping pain in his chest for the past few weeks. He's got a doctor's appointment next week. In the meantime I've been doing a bit of online research and came across this this article which might be useful:

http://www.failedsuccess.com/index.php?/we blog/comments/precordial_catch_syndrome_ch est_pain/
|