Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Brain and Head Injuries Forum

Seizure Activity After a Concussion?

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
I am a 31 year old female. One month ago, I passed out and fell forward, hitting my head on the wall and then again when I fell completely to the floor. Since I live alone, I am not completely sure, but I believe that I was completely unconscious for approximately 35-40 minutes. Upon regaining consciousness, I cleaned and bandaged my forehead and then went to sleep and slept for 9 hours.

The next morning, I had terrible headaches, nausea and dizziness/light-headness. I did not go to the emergency room until the next day, two full days after I had this accident. There they diagnosed a grade 3 concussion. A ct scan that evening showed no bruising or bleeding in the brain.

Since that accident, I have had unexplained "black out" spells as I call them. My family doctor ordered a eeg and for the most part it came back normal. I have an appointment in one week to see a neurologist as these "black out" spells are getting worse and are getting more frequent.

Two days ago, I blacked out while driving and two prior to that, I lost consciousness while standing at a copier making copies.

I am still experiencing severe headaches, and dizzy/lightheaded spells. Can anyone tell me if this type of activity is normal after a grade 3 concussion? I do have a history since the time I was a small child of being prone to fainting/passing out, but no one ever really paid much attention, at least not until this concussion one month ago.

Thanks in advance,

ginger
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 15th, 2008
Supporter
Hi
Please come back ot eHealth and repost, updating us on oyur visit ot neurologist. This could very well help someone else. So sorry no one responded to your post. I just found it and wanted to at least say Welcome to eHealth.......
|

User Profile
replied March 26th, 2009
Same with me
A similar situation is happening to me. I'm 31 and had a head injury 2 months ago and had a concussion with amnesia for about 6 hours after the accident. Now I have some minor things, headaches etc, but the most serious is I've been fainting randomly, just out of the blue. I went to Emerg again on Monday because I fainted in my kitchen, then laid there confused trying to call 911. Its really strange scary and has happened a few times now. I've been seeing my doctor and had an EEG heart scan, blood work and all came back normal. The last is an MRI I'm waiting for to determine the extent of the head injury from February.

Any advise on this would be great!
|

replied July 18th, 2009
Hopefully you guys have been to see a neurologist, although it sounds like your family doctors are ordering the appropiate tests. You do not have to be a rocket scientist to know that loosing conciousness over and over again is not normal. After a concussion symptoms can linger for weeks to months. Loosing conciousness obviously is of concern. Have there been seizures?
You may want to consider to stop driving, because great obvious harm can come to you and others if you loose conciousness when your driving. See a neurologist, make sure family and friends know your situation. Good luck.
|

replied September 4th, 2010
I have been through a severe concussion and post trauma and treatment. I was /am very fortunate to have seen a very competent and experienced osteotherapist in Kingsport, Nova Scotia and another in Kingston, Ontario. Their work was much more than a gross scan (CT/MRI) which does diagnose gross deformities but does not treat you for the concussion. Yes, see a neurologist, too, and see your family physicin to keep him/her informed and up to date. Treatment for a severe concussion has tken more than 7 months so far and my days are much different now. Without prompt and continuing treatment I would be in a very bad way.
|

replied May 16th, 2011
I am a 33 year old male and about three years ago I passed out at home and hit my head on the counter. I came to about an hour and a half later and found blood on myself and the carpet. I live alone, so it was quite scary to come to and see this. I also found that I had been moving around my house during the hour and a half I was not concious. After that I had post concussive syndrome and had to take about two weeks off from work. I was dizzy all the time and couldn't concentrate. Many tests all came back "normal", so nothing was done. About 16 months later I passed out as home again. This time I'm not sure if I had a concussion, but I didn't injure myself like before. Again, several tests were "normal". About a week and a half ago, 22 months after the last fainting, I had a seizure at work, then another the same day at the hospital. Thanks to my coworkers, I got immediate help, and wasn't hurt. This time, however, the EEG showed an "abnormality" on the left side of my brain. I don't know the other details. I really wonder if this abnormality is scarring caused by the concussion 3 years ago? I think the original fainting was caused by stress, because at that same time I started having severe anxiety and panic attacks. All this is pretty hard to deal with, especially since I'm single and live alone, and since because I've had a concussion I can't drive for six months. I hope we all can find some answers, and I hope my story may help someone else. Good luck!
|

replied May 16th, 2011
I am a 33 year old male and about three years ago I passed out at home and hit my head on the counter. I came to about an hour and a half later and found blood on myself and the carpet. I live alone, so it was quite scary to come to and see this. I also found that I had been moving around my house during the hour and a half I was not concious. After that I had post concussive syndrome and had to take about two weeks off from work. I was dizzy all the time and couldn't concentrate. Many tests all came back "normal", so nothing was done. About 16 months later I passed out as home again. This time I'm not sure if I had a concussion, but I didn't injure myself like before. Again, several tests were "normal". About a week and a half ago, 22 months after the last fainting, I had a seizure at work, then another the same day at the hospital. Thanks to my coworkers, I got immediate help, and wasn't hurt. This time, however, the EEG showed an "abnormality" on the left side of my brain. I don't know the other details. I really wonder if this abnormality is scarring caused by the concussion 3 years ago? I think the original fainting was caused by stress, because at that same time I started having severe anxiety and panic attacks. All this is pretty hard to deal with, especially since I'm single and live alone, and since because I've had a concussion I can't drive for six months. I hope we all can find some answers, and I hope my story may help someone else. Good luck!
|

replied February 5th, 2012
What type of treatment helped stop the fainting?
|

replied December 27th, 2011
I'm a twenty year old male who had a concussion about eight months ago. Ever since then the closest I've had to any symptoms we're mild headaches. Until about a month ago. I started having what the emergency room diagnosed as panic attacks. I thought that it was probably true until a couple nights and a couple more trips to the emergency room that instead of just having problems breathing, I started blacking out. On one occasion I even fell straight through a kitchen table. I don't remember any of these occurrences or roughly the previous thirty minutes before. My roommates tell me that every time I have seizures, and with one of them being epileptic I believe them, and that for about somewhere around five to ten minutes afterwards I don't remember my name, their name, or where I am. Apparently I have been violent with them at times. I decided to go to the most well respected hospital in the area, to which there I had a MRI, blood, CT, and EEG tests ran on me. All came back normal. Since that day it has only gotten worse and worse. I don't know if this helps any of y'all, but if anyone has any advice for me, it would be much appreciated.
|

replied February 23rd, 2012
I was hit by an auto 18 months ago & suffered a severe concussion.I suffered no symptoms until about 6 months then the blackouts came.One blackout caused another concussion at home. MRI/CAT scans show normal but 72 hour EEG showed seizure activity.Medication has helped but now I am experiencing "blanking out" spells. It's like a switch flips in my brain and I don't know what day it is,where I am, where I am going...NOTHING! Of course, this leads to a panic attack and depression. After a seizure I am exhausted and will sleep for hours. This is strongly effecting my professional life! I need help!
|

replied May 9th, 2012
concussion after car accident-problems still 1.5 years later
Hi! I had a concussion back in 2010 from a car accident. since then i have experienced seizures, non epileptic, weekness, blurred vission, tingling on the right side, cofussion, temporal hedache, vertigo, just to name a few. the doctors thought i might have vasculitis of the cns but yesterday i had a angiogram of my brain andit was neg.Also had 2 spinaltaps that came back neg. the only way to 100% prove vasculitis is by a brain biopsy and i am not sure i want to do that. I truely think this is from the car accident. Any help out there???
|

replied May 13th, 2012
Seizure after concussion?
I am a 14 year old and healthy girl but, I recently received a concussion in gym class about 3 weeks ago. I was told I blacked out for about a minute and when I woke up I couldn't see, my eyes were crossed, and I had trouble answering questions. My mom took me to the ER and they took a CT Scan and, it came back negative for bleeding and bruising but, I was told I had a concussion. I was released that day and went back to school the next day. That Friday (this all happened on Monday) I passed out in science class. Luckily, I was sitting down when it happened but, I was out for a good 10 minutes before the could awake me. When I woke up, I didn't know anything. Not even my own mother. My mom, again, took me to the ER and I was admitted to the pediatrics unit. I regained my memory around 7 o'clock. I spent a good 5 hours not knowing anything. They released me the next day. That next Saturday I passed out at my boyfriend's house. Again, I was just sitting out on the porch with him. His dad is a well-known doctor in our area and he came out and monitored me. I was out for another good 10 minutes and he said that my right arm and eyes were twitching. He said I had a seizure and he thought I needed to go back to the hospital. So, again, my mom took me to the ER and they admitted me but, this time it was to the neuro science unit. I was kept for 2 days and during my stay they did a MRI and EEG. Both came back negative. I saw 2 neurologists while I was there. One who said I had a seizure and the other who said I didn't. I have had an awful headache since the accident and the "blacking out spells" keep happening. What should I do?
|

replied June 10th, 2013
It sounds like you had a seizure at your boyfriend's house. I'd go to a Neurologist and see if anti-seizure meds help you.
|