Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Extremely Bad Sleeping Problems, Lifetime of Insomnia

I've had insomnia since I was a child and nothing seems to help. I've tried sleeping tablets but the more I take them the more I need to take more. I become dependent on them and after awhile I end up having to take 5 just to sleep. O I scrapped that idea. I've tried green tea or warm milk or warm showers or boring books etc the usual stuff, no help at all.
I also suffer from manic depression and I think thats the problem. I try to sleep but because alot of nights I worry so much I cant sleep. Once i'm asleep I hate waking up. Any ideas ppl? I'll try anything!!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 22nd, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
A ces (micro stimulation, cranial electro stimulation) machine - tine but along similar lines to a tens machine not to electric shock therapy!! But they're expensive!!!!!!!!!! Like about $1590 + gst!! Still they help pain, strss, anxiety, headaches, depression & insomnia - if it works for you - like everything nothing works for everyone.

Also accupuncture, 5htp (tryptophan), dhea, sam-e, vitamin b's, yoga & meditaion also cbt (cognitive behaviour therapy - run free/cheap by some hospitals/universities etc).
|

replied July 15th, 2004
Re: Extremely Bad Sleeping Problems, Lifetime of Insomnia
Wow, I thought I might have wrote what you were saying. I have suffered from similar problems for the past year. I am also manic deressive/ bi polar, I use to thrive off my mania but now I just wish to sleep, however I asked to be taken off my seriqul and now I dont sleep.... And when I do it seems I never can sleep enough, I go in peeks and valleys this week is a major valley! I'll sleep anywhere between 12-16 hours and still be tired... I hate it have you found anything that works???
|

replied July 16th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
I have found & after checking with my dr that it was basically the same machine ordered a ces(for pain, sleep, stress etc) plus a sound & light(for stress etc) machine from dynamind.Com in america it took 1 week to arrive & the total cost for both machines with postage & handling will be $us327 (approx $a540) the ces alone would have been about $us230 with p&p (so approx $a320).

Given this cost being much less than the one I quoted above which is all I could find available here ($a1800) you might consider looking into this as it does help sleep - although some people do find that it keeps them awake if they use it within about 3 hours of going to sleep.
|

replied November 23rd, 2004
Severe Insomnia
Hi nice to meet a fellow bper. It is very common for people with bp to have trouble sleeping. When you are manic you cant sleep cause you are so geared up and when you are depressed you cant sleep cause you worry so much. It stinks! You really need to talk to your psychiatrist about your sleeping though. Trazadon-sp?? Is a drug they often give bpers to sleep and it seems to work well, but there are lots of other options. I hope you get some help, so much of our health depends on good sleep patterns its important you find an answer. Cool
|

replied May 27th, 2012
sleep disorder
do you still have insomnia? It's an old note. Anyway, I also had insomnia since I was 4. When i was 30 (now 33) I took the right steps to change my brain 'profile'. It's a very intens transformation..from a lifetime wearyness and being stupid for everyone...till now..very sharp and energic. But it was a bizarre chance what took me 2,5 years non stop focussing on the transformation. I'm still solving it. It's a reconstruction of body and mind. Maybe I can help you...but otherwise I think it's also interesting to talk about it? I never met someone else with this hidden ununderstood problem. It's making you feel like an alien.
|