Medical Questions > Mental Health > Self Injury Forum

I Always Want to Cut Myself. (Page 1)

Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....
Ever since I was a younge teen whenever I got depressed i'd cut up my arms. It wasnt to die or anything it was to feel the pain and see the blood. I feel like i'm crazy. I'd do it with anything I could find. I still get massive urges to do it today but my family and bf wont let me obviously. I need help. Is there anything anyone can suggest that help me overcome this overwhelming feeling?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile kittykatangel
|

replied June 6th, 2004
Hey sweetie...First of all how old are you?...Second I used to do that too, I don't do that anymore because it's very very stupid I mean think about it...Do you really want ugly scars all over your body? I used to be very very depressed and it was real hard, but then after a couple of years of being depressed passed I got so tired of it and realized that the only way I can be happy is to make myself happy...No one else can make you happy unless you do it yourself. You have to make the best out of life. I'm really sorry if you are depressed but you have to hold your head up through this hard time and be strong. Cutting yourself to release pain is not the answer...You can do other things to release the pain like draw something or write down your feelings...If not that then talk to someone close to you about your feelings. Do you like sports or to cook or anything...When you get mad or upset about something then you should do something like that to get your mind off of things. Hunny just listen don't hurt yourself anymore. Life is way to short, when you think about hurting yourself or get the urge to hurt yourself just go on a walk or call up a friend. I hope you get your problems fixed real soon. Bye sweetie.
|

replied June 7th, 2004
I'm 20 in a few weeks. I don't cut anymore but the thought and urge is still there. I am an artist actually and when i'm down I make photomanipulations this is my site grotesquepuppymeow.Deviantart.Com/gallery/
you can see there that most of my art is pretty depressing. Thankyou for your concern it measn alot. I just find my life really hard to get through sometimes. I feel i'm not as strong as I once was.
|

replied October 27th, 2011
i cut because it feels good
im 20 and still cut,not only when im angry or depressed....it just feels great.but im getting to a point of wanting to stop....i think,but i dont know,maybe its just apart of me now
|

User Profile
replied November 9th, 2011
hey im only sixteen and ive tried to cut deep enough for suicide my gma found me and they rushed me toe er took me to behavioral hospital. But I just wanna go so much deeper. It would feel great to not be able to feel at all
|

replied November 13th, 2011
i know exactly i you feel i have done soooo many bad things in my life and the results are always messed up,do you still cut?
|

replied February 3rd, 2012
Please stop cutting.
I use to cut, and for the longest time denied I needed help. Trust me, you need help. The cutting is a result of deeper issues. I rejected medication or therapy because I felt healthy, but I wasn't. I wasn't living my life properly. I finally accepted help and took medication and got the therapy I needed to heal my brain. I am now an adult and a teacher with scars all over my arms. I wish I had started treatment at a younger age to prevent all the scars I now live with. Please stop cutting.
|

replied December 1st, 2004
My doctor told me to put a rubber band on my wrist and every time I wanted to cut, to flick it. It didn't work obviously.

I stopped cutting on my own. I made the decision to just stop cold turkey one day.
|

replied January 18th, 2005
Experienced User
Hello grotesquepuppy,

if you want to stop cutting yourself you have to treat the underlying depression and frustrations that you are experiencing.

Most people assume that it has something to do with the way you think and feel, and that by changing these feelings and thinking by will, the depression disappears. But these feelings are simply the consequences (and not the causes) of an underlying metabolic disorder over which you have no conscious control.

Doctors believe that the underlying metabolic disorder can be treated by drugs, but I believe that drugs only cover up the symptoms without affecting the real causes of the metabolic disorder.

Most people with mental illness have been found to have hypoglycemia. This means that the person has problems converting glucose (found in food) into biological energy, upon which the brain depends. Thus if we can improve the glucose metabolism - the way the body converts glucose into molecules of energy (atp) - the symptoms you are experiencing will go away.

You can improve glucose metabolism by having a sugar-free diet. This diet - the hypoglycemic diet - is described at our web site.

Please read:

�what is hypoglycemia?�

�the hypoglycemic diet�

at our web site.

You can discuss this with a therapist who might help you getting on the hypoglycemic diet. Psychotherapy can be useful, if you feel you may have lost confidence in yourself as a result of suffering from this metabolic disorder for many years.

Cheers

jur

jurriaan plesman
|

replied May 4th, 2005
Re: I Always Want to Cut Myself.
grotesquepuppy wrote:
ever since I was a younge teen whenever I got depressed i'd cut up my arms. It wasnt to die or anything it was to feel the pain and see the blood. I feel like i'm crazy. I'd do it with anything I could find. I still get massive urges to do it today but my family and bf wont let me obviously. I need help. Is there anything anyone can suggest that help me overcome this overwhelming feeling?

i would suggest that you get into therapy and talk about the underlying cause for you wanting to harm yourself. Contrary to what some people may think, cutting is not a cry for attention. At least not for the majority of self-injurers. Usually the cutting begins as an attempt to release some inner pressure of mental anguish. Sometimes it's an attempt to feel anything at all. Either way, there is mental anguish at the core. Talk about it.
Good luck.
|

replied October 13th, 2008
cutting.
hello, My Name is melanie, and well, i have to confess. I did cut myself, but i only did it because of people in school, they made me feel alone and they always did insult me making me think i was Ugly, Stupid, and worthless. I felt alone, and i was scared. I was always thinking that i was nevergoing to get better, and the more i started doing it, the more i was going to get use to it and never letting people helping me.

Now, i joined church, and started talking. && I actually started crying than cutting, it felt..good(:
But yeah, i have to admit, We do have situations that are bad, but the people out there have even bigger problems, and think they are not cutting themselves for it, but if anybody wants to talk about this, i promise you i can talk to you about it. I will care for you even if i don't know you. DOn't ever forget that god made us all together, and that were all family(:
|

replied January 10th, 2009
WAT HELPED ME STOP
WAS WHEN EVER I FELT DEPRESSED
ID WRITE IT DOWN THEN BURN IT...

OR BITE A JALAPENO.
RUBBERBAND ON WRIST.
UGH I DONT REMEMBER MY
THERAPIST GAVE ME A LIST.

OH SHE SAID DECORATE A BOX AND FILL
IT UP WITH THINGS THAT MAKE YOU HAPPY.
IT DISTRACTS YOU.

=]
HOPE IT HELPS..
|

replied January 19th, 2009
Afraid
I feel depressed, at least once a day,
it's something that started happening reasently,
and often I've thought about cutting myself, or even commiting suicide,
but I can't handle cutting myself, it just scares me...
|

replied April 10th, 2009
Stopping
I'm 25 years old and the first time I cut myself I was 13. At 20 I was put on a heavy dose of prozac and risperdal for OCD. When I was 24 I met this guy I thought was great and I stopped taking my meds because I thought he made me that happy. I was fine for a while, thought I was over cutting. But I just get so angry sometimes, I can't NOT do it. I did it 3 times in the past year and a half. I thought I was done with it, but let me tell everyone now....Thinking you are DONE with that behavior is stupid. I know I won't stop these behaviors unless I change the underlying feelings I have that make me do that...which are rooted DEEP in low self esteem. I cant do that. I just hate myself so much. I started self medicating with heroin and that made things better at first, then 10 times worse now that I'm trying to quit. It doesn't help my b/f got me into the drugs and he won't quit. I can't quit when he is still using. When he uses, he doesn't have any sexual urges at all. We have had sex 3 times in the past year. This makes me feel so shitty about myself that by now, I've seriously thought about suicide many times. Long story short: If you cut yourself, it's because there are DEEP underlying issues that you need to take care of, and if you don't, it WILL just get worse.
|

replied November 6th, 2011
yeah doctors gave me meds aswell but it didnt and still doesnt stop the urge of wantng to cut HELP ME PLEASE
|

replied May 12th, 2009
Try substituting it with another behavior? One of my friends used to cut but took up running instead, so now she runs rounds around her apartment complex when she's upset. It certainly helped her health.

My counselor advises snapping a rubber-band against your wrist. Didn't work for me though; all I did was give myself internal bleeding.

And oh, um, you can try distracting yourself. Call a friend. Go out with your boyfriend and promise not to bring up the topic - he wants you to stop, so it's only fair that he should help. I think it's safer to be around people, because that way you can't just give yourself permission to start. Or you could just try to sleep it off.

Mm, anyway, good luck with stopping! And remember it's OKAY to do what you're doing, but that you're making a conscious CHOICE not to. Smile(But don't use that as a cop-out. Do use it to feel better about yourself!)
|

replied July 21st, 2009
i have found a solution to every time i want to cut myself... i take a part a shaving razor pull out the ultra-thin razors inside take a deep breath and slice away till i can see the white inside my body.... this helps everytime call me crazy!
|
Users who thank sinner1 for this post: bibixoxo 

replied October 28th, 2011
Hahaha me too! Finally, i feel like im not alone anymore (:
|

replied October 28th, 2011
Hahaha me too! Finally, i feel like im not alone anymore (:
|

replied November 6th, 2011
lol i always cut till i see the white meat in me, do you guys still cut? i feel realy awkward talking about this i NEVER talk about it just a part of me i dont want anyone to know about but here i am talking about it.....
|

replied September 24th, 2012
Seriously?
Just so you know, there is no white meat in humans. That's fat.
|

User Profile
replied July 22nd, 2009
Supporter
sinner1- how does this help? You are cutting and self inflicting this terrible pain upon yourself..What makes you do it? Are you sad, bad relationship? How old are you? You cut fairly deep..Are you not scared of what will happen if you go down just a little further? Do you have someone you would absolutely hate to lose to a death? If yes--think how they will feel if you cut a vein and bleed out..Have you ever seen someone die..Really die not like on tv but in real life..It is really rough to watch..To be made to feel that had you only known you could have done something-all these doubts and pain will seep in to hurt those around you..Not to mention for the rest of that persons life they will have the last image of you with blood all around..Who do you think will have to clean up your life fromt he floor?
Talk to a family member preferably a parent and get help..Please..kd
|

replied August 14th, 2009
sinner1 - I completely understand where you are coming from. There have been multiple times that days have gone by before my cuts have stopped bleeding, and I've worried that I would have to go to the hospital for stictches and explain what happened, but you can't just accept this as a way of life. It's dangerous, how do you know when you'll cut too deep on accident? Every time you cut, you risk your life. It's not worth it. You really do need to talk to someone, I know how much it sucks telling someone that you deal with your emotional pain by causing physical pain, but it will get easier and you'll find that your urge to cut becomes less frequent. It's amazing the first time that you can actually talk yourself out of hurting yourself. I hope that this finds you in a better place in your life. ~T
|

User Profile
replied August 18th, 2009
IM SORRY I CANT HELP
|

replied September 17th, 2009
I started cutting myself 4 years ago when i was hurting to much because of my relationship. I felt so frustracted and angry that the women of my life just did not care about me. I was to in love to leave, and if i tried to explain, i was blamed that it was me that was making issues. I remeber i went to kitchen grad a knife and then just slashed my fore arm. But at the moment the paid really numbed my emotional heart ache . . . i continued for another year. I have very apparent scars on my fore arm now and can not even where a t shirt. Instead of cutting myself, i turned to alchol for the numbing feeling . . and now i think i am an alcholic .... 4 years later, i felt life was better and i had over come these issues ... but now i feel the same in my new relationship (1 year old). Lastnight i wanted to cut myself . . . but feel asleep with the knife by face after dowing a bottle of vodka.

I feel scard that i will do something bad tonight
|

replied September 18th, 2009
Desperate Not to Feel
I started about a month ago. I have dealt with depression on my own for 16 years. Until recently I hid my feelings and pretended to be ok to make my family feel better about themselves. I had a verbally abusive father and have married someone just like him with out even really knowing what I got myself into. I started cutting because I dont want to wrap my car around a tree and never be able to see my son again. Cutting helps the pain in my head. It take the pain from there and gives me phy. pain. My son is my medication when I have the urge to cut. I go to him when I feel like I am going to cut myself again. He's my happy place. I wish I could help everyone here who feels this way.
|

replied October 13th, 2009
Everyone I truely hope that no one who wrote here ever ends up bleeding out. I personally have never cut per say, I did however attempt to give myself a tattoo (I really dont recomend this, it didnt stay around and itched so bad i couldnt sleep for days) I have always been close to cutting during my teen years it really was a matter of not having a sharp enough knife, I can understand so well the need to get the pain out some way, have something that others can see and not ignore about your pain or simply have some way to cr when the tears have dried up. However lately I have come to relize that I was very lucky I always had my one happiness (fo those who want to know this is my horse who is pretty much my baby) and was able to find a therapist who actually helped instead of pretending to listen and then being condensending. Im sure eveyone here can understand what I mean those people who dont even try to see things from your side and simply spout off nonsense about how its bad and wrong. Yes I was lucky which was something I learned the other day deeply, I work in a medical er clinic as an assistant. It was almost close when a mother came in screaming for help, her 15 year old son was in the car bleeding, after a quick overview it was clear the the damage was bad he had hundreds of scars and scabed cuts all over his arms and about 16 new ones on his right forearm they were all shallow just enough for bleeding to start except for a two inch strip at the wrist. This area was so deep you could see bone. now im no doctor but this sort of thing is not consistant all the other cuts were percise and shallow no this was not on purpose. I have to guess that he slipped or got surprised because we will never be able to ask him. He died ten min after arriving from blood loss. His mother didnt know how long he had been on the floor before she went to get him for dinner. When the mother left she still thought it was her fault, if only she had gone up sooner she said. Please all I beg of you DO NOT do this to your loved ones. and if you believe that you have no loved ones know that i will cry for you. I will not ask you to stop because that is yur own choice however please spend two min looking at the veins and arteries of the areas you cut so you can avoid them and not end up causing pain. I hope you can get thru and be strong and remember when everything seems hopeless just hug the fuzziest, softest thing you can find it will never fail to at least make you feel a little bit better
|

replied December 25th, 2009
I know that this is a constant fight and I do not have the answers. I cut myself and was recently hospitialised, which did no good. Now my husband has given me the ultimatum that if I cut again he is leaving me and myu daughter, this is really something I cannot deal with and I dod not know what to do. It is the holidays so all my mental health professionals are on vacation. I wish I didn't spend so much of my day trying to find ways to hurt myself
|

replied January 2nd, 2010
What if you've already gotten help and it didnt work.. what if you start cutting again? How do you stop the feelings coming back?
|
Quick Reply