Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

the Ring.

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
Hi everyone, conserned boyfriend here.

Here the story is, my girl friend was on the ring and after about 5-6 months on it she was having problems and her moods during sex would change so she decided to quit the ring rather quickly 1/2 though the month. 3 days later she had a period like normal when you remove the ring. Then she had another period when she was suppose to around the first of the month. Now it has been around 4-5 weeks since and she hasn't started. She says she has her normal signs of before when she would start but she isn't starting. Now the question is, is this normal? Should we get a hpt?

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 3rd, 2004
Experienced User
Stium,
are you guys using any form of birth control now that she is off the ring? It is true that probably what is happening here is that her body is adjusting to being off the ring. It may take a few months until her period becomes regular again. As I just replied to someone else, I would wait a week and if her period has not come, take a test. There is no harm in taking a test now. But if she is pregnant, it may be too soon for her body to produce enough of the hormone human chorionic gonadotropin. A test is more likely to emit a false negative than a false positive. Meaning so if it shows negative she might still be pregnant simply because it is still fairly early. So by all means you can take a test now just to be sure, but if it comes out negative and in a week she still hasn't had her period take another and your true answer will be shown with that one. Write back with any other questions. Good luck.
Natalie Smile
|

replied June 3rd, 2004
We use condoms every time and we've only had intercource twice since she got off the ring.

I use condoms with spermicide on them and always change the condom after every... Well you know..

I always remember her period the first weekend of every month. Which would be this weekend so i'm going to wait until after this weekend to really worry about a hpt.

I want to believe after reading some more information today that coming off the ring mid cycle cause her body to get confused with having 2 periods very close together but I just want to be sure.
|

replied June 3rd, 2004
Experienced User
That is good that you are using condoms. Because they contain spermicide they are a pretty effective form of birth control. Because she got off of the ring mid cycle she first had her ring period (which is not a typical period). Anytime you are on birth control, the week you have your period, you aren't acutally expelling anything because you didn't ovulate. She had two periods because anytime she takes out the hormonal ring, her body will bleed, but because she stopped the hormones, her body ovulated and the second time she then had her real period. You are a pretty aware boyfriend, which is good Smile the best of luck to you guys. I am sure everything will be okay.
Natalie
|

replied June 3rd, 2004
Well I love this girl so i've got to pay attention to these things.

Thank you for all your help. I'm going to wait a week or so and then buy a hpt.
|

replied June 7th, 2004
I'd like to update everyone.

She started her period. We called the doctor together and they gave us information on what was going on. All it took was a night of stress free fun and we did that and the next morning everything starting.
|

replied June 7th, 2004
Experienced User
Awesome stium. Good to hear. Best of luck in the future!
Natalie
|