Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

Phantom Vibration Syndrome? (Page 1)

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
I've never used the vibrate feature for my cell phone before but two weeks ago I started using it. The phone is clipped to my right side belt so when it vibrates I feel it in my right thigh. Just yesterday I thought my phone was ringing (vibrating) several times but when I went to answer it no one was there and no missed calls. The next time it happened I just put my hand on the phone ... It wasn't vibrating ... But I could feel a vibration in my thigh where the phone vibration usually was. The duration is the same as the phone ring and usually happend a couple of times in a row but the feeling is actually a little duller then the real vibration from the phone. And it's not at the surface of the leg it feels more like it's vibrating inside the muscle but it's not a muscle twitch or spasm or at least I can't feel anything twitching. Someone suggested maybe it's a pinched nerve.

I did find one other co-worker who said he's experienced the same thing before. He said he just moves his phone to the other side for a while and it eventually goes away.

It's been happening fairly regularly since yesterday. No pain but it's just so wierd feeling! I've put my phone back to ring now so hopefully it will go way.

I tried searching for similar experiences but only found a few references to phantom vibration syndrome. While some seemed serious, most refered to it jokingly.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks,
rich
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper clubadv
|

replied June 2nd, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Are you expecting someone to call? Cell phones drive me nuts anymore, it's like everyone is running to see who has called them. Crazy! It could be the waves from the phone, maybe you shouldn't hold it on you as much. In the past it was proven that the waves could cause brain cancer, so whos to say its not doing something to your leg. I don't know, but that's my opinion.

~jennifer~
|

replied April 7th, 2011
Vibrations in the leg, Phantom vibrations.
Recently over a month ago, I starte feeling the vibrations in my left calf muscle on a regular basis. Since two years ago, my left leg started aching. It disappears for some time and then reappears.

A number of tests were done to rule out issues. The tests were negative. I do however recall, that most evenings I had my laptop directly on my lap and the cell phone usually on vibrate is on my left side.

Still will be going for additiona tests. My feeling is that the fan motor on the left side of the laptop would heat up.
|

replied May 15th, 2011
I have vibrations also but they move around. At first i had them in the bottom of my feet.That stopped and then I had them in my right breast. Right now as I type this I am having them in my right ankle area. It comes and goes and last a few days then it goes away.
|

replied June 2nd, 2004
Hi jennifer,

kind of like waiting for a phone call and you keep thinking you heard the phone ring? But no, I wasn't expecting a call. I don't usually have more than a couple of calls a day on my cell phone.

My previous phone I had for 2 years, carried it the same way, but never used the vibrate feature. So i'm thinking it's more the vibration that has induced this and not waves. But as I said, I don't get a whole lot of calls so I wound't think that would be enough to do something like this (assuming it could be caused by the vibration).

Thanks for your thoughts.

Rich
|

replied November 28th, 2011
I used to carry a cellphone a lot. I stopped after my leg started these phantom vibrations. I recently started again and almost immediately the phenomenon started up again. Now it even happens and i look over and my phone is across the room, so I think you have to consciously avoid having the phone on you and keep it off vibrate...
|

replied April 6th, 2005
I am experiencing the same thing but it is no phantom,

i can definitely feel vibration in my left thigh and am pretty sure it is blood flowing and causing the sensation. I am not sure if it was always there and now I notice it because it is the same frequency as the the cell phone or if it is something new to me healthwise.

I went skiing recently and my thighs were very sore for a while and I have really noticed it since then.
|

replied February 27th, 2012
This gives me some relief as I started feeling it after going snowboarding, and I think you may be onto something about the frequency. Its probably a natural vibration that has to do with healing muscle but it only draws my attention because of the location and frequency.
|

replied April 28th, 2005
Im Not Alone
Wow. I've had that happened to me, but never thought much of it or never thought to mention it to anyone. I just thought maybe I was feeling things. My phone starts to vibrate before it rings, so there have been several times when I check my cell phone that I carry in my pocket because I feel it vibrating and think its about to ring.

Oh. Just now thought of something. Maybe its a bug in the phone....Its possible the phone will vibrate from time to time on its own. But why?
|

replied October 19th, 2005
Holy moly. I have experienced the same thing. I keep my cell phone in one of two pockets - my left hip pocket, or the cargo pocket just above my right knee. I have muscle twitches in both of those areas, but only when my cellphone is in the pocket near the area.

Even weirder - yesterday at work, we had a temp worker in helping us out. He was standing 7-8 feet away from me, and his cell phone rang. It rang 2 times before he answered, and each time it rang, my right hip started twitching and pinching something fierce. It hurt!!

I wish I had something else to add, aside from my own anecdotal evidence of what we all have experienced.
|

replied April 18th, 2006
Phantom Phone Vibes
I've noticed this phenomenon, too, except I don't normally carry my phone in my pocket. Rather, it is in my purse, so I feel it under my arm.

So glad to know it's not just me!
|

replied April 18th, 2006
Natural Frequency Phenomenon
You may want to consider the fact that your phone may have actually vibrated.

One day I was standing holding my calculator (ti-200) and it began to vibrate. This is unusual for this type of calculator as it is not equipped with a vibrating mechanism. I then noticed that it only vibrated when a passing train blew its whistle. I realized that the natural resonant frequency of my calculator was the same as the horn frequency and when the horn blew it excited my calculator, causing it to vibrate. Pay attention to your surroundings next time it happens. If something like this happens, you may be able to prove to yourself that you aren’t messed up.

Hy
|

replied May 9th, 2006
Phantom Vibration Syndrome
I don't carry my cell phone in my pocket.
I'm also having the vibrating syndrome that started a month ago or so.
It was in my left foot for a week then stopped. Now it has started back up in of all darn places my front pelvic area. It is a light vibrating that kinda goes to a pulse beat but does not seem to have a even rhythm like a heart beat pulse. It's been driving me crazy. I have no idea what is causing it. I hope someone who knows leaves a message here soon.
|

replied April 1st, 2012
vibrating on right leg?
I have the same thing happening to me and was wondering if you found out whats the problem?I did notice yesterday I had a sharp pain from thigh to knee yesterday. I do walk alot and left weight at work. I* thought the pain was some kind of aritis shooting up ward from my knee. First time it ever happen and since I notrice that vibrating .Please let me know if you know why this vibrating is happening?
|

replied May 9th, 2006
Phantom Vibration Syndrome
I don't carry my cell phone in my pocket.
I'm also having the vibrating syndrome that started a month ago or so.
It was in my left foot for a week then stopped. Now it has started back up in of all darn places my front pelvic area. It is a light vibrating that kinda goes to a pulse beat but does not seem to have a even rhythm like a heart beat pulse. It's been driving me crazy. I have no idea what is causing it. I hope someone who knows leaves a message here soon.
|

replied November 13th, 2011
Pelvic vibrations
I'm experiencing the same thing - it started after I fell and dislocated my shoulder! I figure it's from nerve damage. I carry my cell phone in my handbag, but the vibrations occur even when I'm not carry my cell phone.
|

replied August 3rd, 2006
Phantom Vibration Syndrome?
Wow, I just found this forum via google and i'm totally amazed...And relieved that i'm not the only one! I've had cell phone for many years and have always used them in the vibrate mode. I also have always kept the phone in my left pocket. Until a month or two ago, I had never experienced this phenomenon. About 6 months ago I switched out my phone for one with bluetooth functionality. First an lg, which I was not happy with, and more recently the samsung a900. I'm using sprint as my service provider. Oddly, it feels like my phone is ringing(vibrating) even when the phone is nowhere near my leg. The vibration only occurs in my left leg, the same spot where my phone sits in my pocket. It also seems to be vibrating more frequently, which prompted my search. Well, that's all I can add to this for now. What phone is everyone else using? Are you using bluetooth? I'd love to know.

Regards,

cubster
|

replied April 3rd, 2011
phantom phone vibrations
Ive had ( and still have) this happen to me quite often. even when i dont have my phone in my pocket or near me. i keep my phone in either side and i get this in both legs now. it happens often. needless to say, i think i will start carrying it in a carrier now. with all this radiation crap.. who knows what we're doing to ourselve's with these phone. everyones on them, everywhere we go.. its insane. enough. we managed YEARS with out them and now noone can seem to go with out it. This is why we're paying another monthly bill.. its all about the money.. and you know what money does... so think about it.. DO YOU REALLY THINK THEY WOULD TELL YOU IF IT WAS HARMFUL TO YOU? LETS WAKE UP! keep it to a minimum and use some caution. i know im going to now. KSM
|

replied October 28th, 2011
2011-10-27 Pelvic Buzzing?
I carry my phone in my left front pocket. 95% of the time it is in airplane mode. I have the odd vibrations in the right pelvic area. It DOES feel like a cell on vibrate! I am a Spin instructor, marathoner & weight lifter. Why couldn't this be a nerve? Or constipation? Or how about an insect that hatched inside my abdomen after I ate raw cookie dough?
|

replied October 28th, 2011
I carry my phone in my left front pocket. 95% of the time it is in airplane mode. I have the odd vibrations in the right pelvic area. It DOES feel like a cell on vibrate! I am a Spin instructor, marathoner & weight lifter. Why couldn't this be a nerve? Or constipation? Or how about an insect that hatched inside my abdomen after I ate raw cookie dough?
|

replied January 23rd, 2012
vibration in leg
I too googled the vibration in my leg...off and on for a few months now,very odd...
I get it in my left leg and I have an old LG phone with Verizon as my carrier and I dont use bluetooth...
|

replied August 3rd, 2006
While continuing my search I found an article that may explain what is happening;

http://jscms.Jrn.Columbia.Edu/cns/2005-05- 03/orso-phantomvibes

enjoy,

cubster
|

replied August 4th, 2006
Me Too
I've been experiencing this vibration feeling on the left side of my pelvic area. It feels like a very dull version of my cell phone on vibrate. I was thinking I might have parasites since I traveled out of the country recently. Has anyone found a web site where a doctor comments on this? I thought I was going crazy until I found this message board and saw I was not the only one.
|

replied August 17th, 2006
I searched on google and was relieved to find this thread - its not just me!

I just bought a cellphone with bluetooth, which I keep in my left pants pocket. Since it starting to use it, i've noticed a twitch in my left thigh, just below the area where the phone would rest.

The phone alert is set to vibrate then ring and has bluetooth on.

For the last two days i've been keeping the phone out of my pocket (dropped once already) and the twitch has gone away. Time for a little experiment I reckon. In & out of pocket, bluetooth & vibrate on & off.
|

replied August 18th, 2006
'phantom Vibration Syndrome?'
Oddly enough, since I found this forum and found out I was not alone in this matter I have stopped getting these phantom vibrations. Looking back, the more I thought about the vibrations the more it happened. I guess the mind really can play tricks on us.
|

replied August 21st, 2006
Me, Too
I also recently started using the vibration feature on a new phone and have developed the vibration that you all feel. It's almost like it's under the skin, and not as strong as the phone. I've even felt it in the middle of the bottom of my right foot a couple times, but I don't know why I would feel it there. I'm so glad i'm not just nuts...
|

replied September 18th, 2006
petemiller wrote:
i searched on google and was relieved to find this thread - its not just me!

I just bought a cellphone with bluetooth, which I keep in my left pants pocket. Since it starting to use it, i've noticed a twitch in my left thigh, just below the area where the phone would rest.

The phone alert is set to vibrate then ring and has bluetooth on.

For the last two days i've been keeping the phone out of my pocket (dropped once already) and the twitch has gone away. Time for a little experiment I reckon. In & out of pocket, bluetooth & vibrate on & off.

wow, just found this tread ...Im having the same feeling but I dont use bluetooth on my razr... Actually really noticed it today but have felt it before but didn't really pay it any attention. Today I was getting coffee at a store and I thought my phone was ringing. I then patted my pocket to see if I had my phone there only to find an empty pocket.

The strange thing is that I dont put my phone in my pocket like others do, I keep it on my left belt area and it's my right thigh thats phantom vibrating. But then I realized that lately ive been putting the phone on my right thigh in the car so I can feel it vibrate before it rings. If I dont do that I cant hear the phone with the music on. I used to keep it inbetween my legs but stopped doing that.

Has anyone talked to a doctor about it... My thigh keeps ringin as I type this and it's driving me crazy...

Nick
|

replied October 3rd, 2006
Cell Phone Vibration
I experience a similar muscle spasm on my leg under my left pocket directly where my cell phone is. It happens a lot and isn't nearly as strong as the cell phones vibration. When I started to experience this I thought it must have to do with the radio waves effecting the nerves in my leg, not that they are damaging them but just exciting them. It just really doesn't seem like a trick my mind is playing on me because it is very steady and frequent. I have a samsung sgh-d807 with bluetooth (bt turned off normally). Also it seems to be triggered by leg movement such as stomping on the ground with that leg.
|

User Profile
replied October 3rd, 2006
Experienced User
Yeah I have experienced this too. I think it is clearly mind over matter, but good to know i'm not alone =)
|

replied November 7th, 2006
Happens to Me Too
This definitely happened to me during the summer. Carried my phone in a low purse, and since the ringer wasn't very loud I depended on the vibrations that i'd feel in my left thigh. I didn't start to get the phantom rings/spasms until after my boss threatened us if we didn't answer our phones though. Carried the phone in my butt pocket after that, and didn't suffer the same problem...Probably something about muscle/fat happening there. Or maybe my butt just wasn't as concerned about my job. I'll ask one day.

Also, i'm just generally twitchy (like after I sneeze sometimes my eyelids go for a ride) and I am susceptible, overly so I say, to vibrations as I can only keep a laptop on my lap for a short while before I get shaky hands and upset bowels. I'm fun!

Hey! This thing capitalizes for you. Neat.
|
This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!