Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

How Long Is Down Time

Must Read
Is ovarian cancer connected with ovarian cysts? What types of ovarian cancer do doctors diagnose? Get the basic facts on ovarian cancer here....
Some women are at higher risk of developing ovarian cancer. Who is in the highest risk group and what can you do to reduce risk of ovarian cancer?...
Ovarian cancer symptoms can be vague or caused by many other conditions. Learn what to look for and know when to seek help for ovarian cancer here....
I will soon be having a hysterectomy, not really scared,just ready to have it done. I was just wondering, and I know everyones body is different but what is the normal down time? How many days in the hosp. How many days off work? I know you shouldnt lift much but what about being on your feet? I manage my store and love my work and go crazy when I am not at work. Hope to go back as soon as possible. Would love any input.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 18th, 2003
How Long Is Down Time
I just had an emergency hysterectomy on sept 9. I feel great. I was told I could go home the same day but opted to stay over night. The had me up and walking the same day. I was able to walk around the block by the weekend. I can drive 2 weeks out but my Dr. Doesn't want me on "major" roads. We haven't discussed work but I work over a 1/2 hour from home so I am taking at least 4 weeks off before I go back. I had my one week check up and go back in 3 and I was told I will probably be cleard to go them once he does an internal. At that time if all checks out good he said that we could resume intercourse. So it is not the 6-8 weeks it used to be. But check with your doctor to be sure.
|

replied September 22nd, 2003
How Long Is Down Time?
Well i'm 31 yrs old and I had an total hysterectomy 4yrs ago. Sometimes I regret it, because I sometimes in the mood of wanting another child, I have three already. When I had my hysterectomy, my doctor told me I will be off 8 weeks and for me to not lift anything, no driving, or anything. The only thing I did was go from the bed to the recliner and that's it. You are going to be sore Sad, at least I was. Everybody is different, what go for me may not go for you. Just ask your doctor and he will tell you. I couldn't do anything. Hope you find the answer you are looking for.

Ycmoore
|

replied September 26th, 2003
Down Time
I had a hysterectomy nov. 2002 - I was in the hospital for 5 days. Once home, I was limited to no stairs for 1 week and limited walking. When you have an abdominal hysterectomy, you will have discomfort standing and being on your feet for a period of time anyway. I was back to work the 5th week following the surgery though, and felt good. Slight discomforts if I stood or sat too long - that's it really.
Now the only thing I have is the slight stomach "pouch" - working on that though Wink
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Mitaly Pathak Agarwal
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov