Medical Questions > Nutrition > Vitamins Forum

Taking Vitamins Make Me Feel Ill!

I have a question about taking vitamins. If I take a regular vitamin I feel like getting sick about a 1/2 hour later. I get all nauseated, sweaty and feel like I could get sick. I need to start taking something to build my immune system. I get sick all the time from the cold to flu's. I eat well but not well enought. I have just started taking chewable kids vitamins. Any other ideas?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper april_4_us
|

replied September 18th, 2003
Taking Vitamins Make Me Feel Ill!
I know that if I take a vitamin without taking food, it makes me ill. I usually take them in the morning with breakfast, or if I don't have a good breakfast, then I will take it with lunch. I just try to make sure that I have enough food in my belly. It is frustrating, but it is a lot for an empty stomach. I also noticed that if I just have a snack then it isn't enough. I need a meal. You might want to try that. I hope that helps. Smile
|

replied September 18th, 2003
Vitamins Make Me Ill
Thanks for the response. I have tried taking them at various times. At night at bedtime after dinner. It doesn't really make a difference , do you think it may be because I have no gallbladder? I have also heard its the b vitamins that are hard on the stomach? I have also tried a variety of brands to no avail! I am at a loss as of yet!
|

replied October 2nd, 2003
I have type ii diabetes and high blood pressure, so several months ago I tried some new supplement I heard about on the radio. It isn't cheap, but it's really good for you. It's called seasilver and it's in liquid form in a base of cranberry juice. It is labeled as a whole food by the food and drug administration. It's made with sea kelp and other natural ingredients and contains natural antioxidants and vitamins derived from plant and sea sources. You only take an ounce (1 capful) as a dose. You hold it under your tongue for 30 seconds to a minute and it does most of the absorption into your system directly into your bloodstream through your mouth, then after 30 seconds or so you just swallow the rest. I used it to help normalize my blood sugar level so I used it in theraputic doses of 4 times a day. It takes a month or so to realize it's working, but it did help me and it really helped my diabetes and made me feel more energetic. Let me say that I don't sell this stuff, so i'm not telling you to sell it to you.

The nutrients in seasilver are better for you than the pill type vitamins and it has excellent antioxidant properties. But like I said, it takes a month or so to see results. But I noticed it really helped my blood sugar and I was able to reduce my medications and even my eye doctor couldn't believe that my eyesight had improved. It had gotten steadily worse over time and my vision had started blurring because of the diabetes. I didn't even tell him, he asked me what I was doing to improve my blood sugar so much that my eyesight had improved.

It didn't upset my stomach the way b vitamins always did. I could take them with food and still got upset stomach. If you want to try seasilver, you can find it on the web. Just look it up under the name. It doesn't cure illnesses or anything, but it helps to improve your health. I know it did mine. Good luck.
|

replied December 31st, 2003
Gallbladder And Vitamins
Hi,

I had my gallbladder out and had the same problem with the vitamins. I know that sometimes it just wasn't happening keeping them from going right through me. Eventually it got better....About a year after my gallbadder had been out I have been doing ok. Sometimes, if I have eaten some food that isn't so great for me I might have a problem handling the vitamins and supplements, but it's doing good now as long as I don't go crazy eating fatty foods.
|

replied April 14th, 2004
All Natural
Try this one, it is not a pill but instead a capsule and is made from all natural sources.

The greatest vitamin in the world
|

replied December 8th, 2005
You can try a couple of different ideas. The childrens vitamin is a good idea. But they do make vitamins (thorne) where you take lower doses, but throughout the day. These are capsules and thorne is a very good brand. I got them from a naturopathic doctor. You can get them online, they are costly. Another idea is to get liquid vitaims and try them. A lot of people seem to have similar expierences. I do also, I get really bad reflux sometimes from them. But you can take them in liquid form and they absord really quickly! It is worth a try. Good luck.
|

replied February 26th, 2006
Re: Taking Vitamins Make Me Feel Ill!
april_4_us wrote:
i have a question about taking vitamins. If I take a regular vitamin I feel like getting sick about a 1/2 hour later. I get all nauseated, sweaty and feel like I could get sick. I need to start taking something to build my immune system. I get sick all the time from the cold to flu's. I eat well but not well enought. I have just started taking chewable kids vitamins. Any other ideas?

im not a doctor but it sounds like you are allergic to something in the vitamins you are taking, the fruits we eat are not a good as they used ot be, loosing most of their nutritional value in the storage and shippment, try a good all natural vitamin, I have been taking these hale products and have actually noticed a differance, they contain all natural ingredients and no sugar or animla by products give them a try and let me know how it works out.
|

replied March 17th, 2006
Bioavailability
Another way to get your nourishment is a program that has three tiers of macro-nutrients introduced together first thing in the morning to start the day out with an alkalizing mixture. The first part is a proprietary super food powder, the second is a pure protein and the last is the omegas. This isn’t anything new as the research has pointed to the benefits of these macronutrients for years but having access to all three easily mixed with water fixes the number one problem with consuming a good breakfast in the morning...Easy.

I am newly affiliated with the product and have experienced increased energy and alertness as an immediate benefit. I am sure each person reacts differently but the benefit of our agricultural society is fully utilized being able to provide so many phytonutrients without having to purchase and consume them separately.

take care.
|

replied March 19th, 2006
This Will Bring to Light Some of Your Questions
Do you get sick often? Are you always worried about whether you’re healthy enough?

Gain some peace of mind by only consuming real products
discover real life edit
|

User Profile
replied August 21st, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Aspicer
You said that you were an independ advertiser for the greatest vitamin in the world but yet you said that you had not tried them yet but you have some ordered. If they are the greatest, how would you know if you haven't tried them yet?
|

replied September 6th, 2006
Sick Feeling
Hi
I used to get sick all the time with vitamins and I to have no gallblader. I was told that it dose have somthing to do with it and that I should take all natural vitamins so I tried them and wow what a difference. The products I use now are all natural and made with one of the worlds top aid and that is melaleuca oil. This oil is outstanding ! It is used for so many thing it is unbelieveable, from vitimans to your stongest house hold cleaner and all the products are toxic free. Wow do they work. I will never buy any other products again for any reason. So you can check it out at
edit

the uses for these are endless.

Cleans your body and home !!
|

replied September 13th, 2009
It is not an allergic reaction. It is because you have low zinc levels in your blood prior to taking the vitamin pill. It is the ZINC that is making you feel ill - zinc is a mineral that is easily depleted in your body, so when you take a massive hit of it in one go i.e. 15mg on an empty stomach, your brain chemoreceptors recognise it as a poison which is why you feel sick. To prevent this from happening, basically take your daily vitamin as usual until your zinc levels increase or eat more zinc rich foods such as fish or nuts. It has nothing to do with brand or make. Hope that helps Dr A.F.
|

User Profile
replied November 10th, 2009
Illness from Iron & vitamins
I find any pill or food with iron makes me sick. Not right away, sometimes it takes up to a month before I feel ill. My doctor prescribed Oysco & I had to stop taking it after about 6 weeks. Same with Simvastatin.
What causes this?
|

replied January 9th, 2012
I have been super sick for the last week or so. I started taking a multi vitamin by Metagenics and a probiotic by them too. A few days after starting them, I have sporadic times where I sweat and then have a really loose stool, feel nausea often. And honestly I feel over all simply poisoned. Not sick w/ flu, just poisioned...no other way to explain it. I stopped taking them on Friday and I'm slowly feeling better. But Sat night I was super sick w/ what appeared to be a gallbladder attack, so the doc thinks! So tomorrow I go for an ultrasound, but I can't help but wonder if this overall sick feeling is from the supplements! Thoughts and opinions are welcome. Thanks!
|

replied January 9th, 2012
I have been super sick for the last week or so. I started taking a multi vitamin by Metagenics and a probiotic by them too. A few days after starting them, I have sporadic times where I sweat and then have a really loose stool, feel nausea often. And honestly I feel over all simply poisoned. Not sick w/ flu, just poisioned...no other way to explain it. I stopped taking them on Friday and I'm slowly feeling better. But Sat night I was super sick w/ what appeared to be a gallbladder attack, so the doc thinks! So tomorrow I go for an ultrasound, but I can't help but wonder if this overall sick feeling is from the supplements! Thoughts and opinions are welcome. Thanks!
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Andrijana Shterjovska
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska