Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Seasonale Side Effects (Page 1)

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I started taking seasonale about 6 months ago----the pill where you only have 4 periods a year. So far its been great, but i've noticed that when its getting close to time for a period the pms and pms symptoms seem to start more like 2 weeks before my period, with all other pills i've been on I only noticed pms symptoms the week before.

Anyone else on this one and having any similar side effects? Just wondering if this is normal.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jbrown
|

replied June 23rd, 2004
to All Seasonale Users!!
Hello! I am also taking seasonale. I will be starting the 5th week tomorrow. So far every thing is great. I haven't had any side effects but that might be because I haven't been on them very long.

I heard that alot of women have major breakthrough bleeding. Has anyone experienced this?? Question

i have been on many different pills in the past 7 years. I was on the patch before I started seasonale. I had some bad cramps and my period did not want to stop once it got started. The only good thing was I went up a cup size. I liked the bigger breast but couldn't handle the bad cramps.

Bridget Laughing
|

replied October 29th, 2004
Seasonale
I was an orthotricyclen user for a number of years, but opted to try seasonale recently, since I don't enjoy my monthly periods and the inconvenience and discomfort they bring. I'm actually at the end of my 2nd month of taking seasonale, and about to start the month 3 sheet of pills. The first month on seasonale was great, and I skipped my period...Wonderful! As far as the second month, I was fine until this past week. I've had light break through bleeding for the last 7 days along with the usual cramping discomfort ect...I only hope that this goes away and doesn't last until the end of next month when i'm actually supposed to have my period. Hopefully, seasonale can live up to the promise of only 4 periods a year. If this break through bleeding continues, I think i'll opt for my orthotricyclen again. Even if I still have 1 period a month on ortho, at least it will be regular/ predictable. One thing i've noticed about ortho & seasonale is that they've helped clear up my acne. I suppose I haven't been on seasonale long enough yet to really say too much. I'm going to see my Dr. This coming week, and maybe she will be able to give me some info.
|

replied January 12th, 2005
Seasonale
I was on seasonale for one cycle. I experienced breakthrough bleeding around the 3rd week of the first month, it lasted about 5 days or so. Then I experienced breakthrough bleeding again the end of the secondmonth into the beginning of the third month. Once I started the placebo pills, my period was unusually light, but I still had cramps. Also, I don't know if this is related, but the 3rd week of the 3rd month, I had a yeast infection that was stubborn and would not go away. And in general, I just didn't feel good period the whole time I was on it. I didn't feel horrible or anything, but just didn't feel like myself. So, I switched back to ortho tri cyclen.
|

replied January 25th, 2005
My Seasonale Experience
Hello everyone I just wanted to add something about seasonale from my personal experience, I was on it for one full pack then decided to go off it for similar reasons, bleeding, period pain etc. I have been off for a few months now and have noticed that my breasts have been radically reshaped and show no sign of returning to normal. They did increase in size when I was on seasonale, I got big red stretch-marks from it, and now the stretchmarks persist my breasts are smaller then they used to be before I went on it and they are completely flattened and droopy. Its very upsetting, im not sure what to do about it, I guess nothing, so I really would reconsider taking this pill if youre on it or if your planning to take it.

-grace
|

replied November 19th, 2005
Seasonale
I'm new at this but I hope this helps:
i'm going on my second year of taking seasonale, before I used the path. The main thing with sesonale is that it just takes time for your body to get used to the different "schedule". I did have quite a bit of break through bleeding at first, but after the second cycle it got much better. Now, and for a while, I haven't had any break through bleeding at all. It is a great form of birth control, and only having four periods in the year is a big plus...It just takes time and you have to be patient for those major side effects to go away.
|

replied November 28th, 2005
Ive been on seasonale for about 2 years also. Like the last post said it just takes some time for your body to adjust. I experience breakthroughs every once in a while but nothing that would bother me that much. I was placed on seasonale because I would become very sick a week before and during my period. So bead I couldnt even get out of bed. Now I have an almost pain free period 4 times I year. I personally love it and think its one of the best medical things they could have came up with in birth control.
|

replied February 25th, 2006
Seasonale
I have been on seasonale for almost 8 weeks. And at first I loved it I mean skipping periods is great. But now im in my 7thweek and ive had breakthrough bleeding for almost 6 days and horrible cramps, worse then before I went on it. I'm wondering if anyone knows if and when this will stop or if anyone had the same symptoms. Also if anyone recommends sticking it out.
|

replied July 3rd, 2011
Unhappy with Seasonale.
I was on Lo-Estrin and decided to try Seasonal due to I'm very active and having a period 4 times a year sounded perfect. I'm currently on my 5th month of Seasonale, and OMG, I hate it.
My first cycle was light , but NOW, I've had break through bleeding for 6 days and the cramping and mood swings are worse than I have ever experienced. I will be going back to my Lo-Estrin where my period lasted 2-3 days, were light ,predictable and I had no cramping, achiness or mood swings.
|

replied April 23rd, 2006
Hey I just started seasonal today. My dr put me on it because I had bad cramping and had to stay in bed the whole time. My dr found out that the reason I was having so much trouble was because I had endometriosis. It is a cancer but it is beneign. I was just wondering if anyone else was on this pill for that reason, and if it helped any with the cramping.
|

replied April 23rd, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
The word cancer implies that soemthing is not benign actually..I am a member of the ehalthcare comunity, and you may be slightly confused..

Most women are greatly helped by birth control when they have endo., because of the intense pain and pretty heavy bleeding.. Birth control controls this...

It is very common for women with endo to be treated with birthcontrol, and the mirena iud is a good treatment as well.

Endometriosis is not cancer at all, it is where the uterine type tissues are actually found outside of the uterus... They also react to the montly cycle of women, so if you are not on birth control you will have painful bleeding from these tissues

http://www.Endometriosisassn.Org/endo.Html

this is an endometriosis association
|

replied April 24th, 2006
My sister was on seasonale and her doctor told her that the breakthrough bleeding eventually goes away... And that it was one of the biggest complaints with that particular method. Who wants to breakthrough bleed for a year anyway? Seasonale made her so moody and upset and she had to take it at night because she got extremely sick off it.
|

replied August 4th, 2006
Break Through Bleeding Continued
My first 1.5 months of seasonale was fantastic I did not notice any increased moodiness or tension but after week#7 I had light break through bleeding which turned into a full period. At this time I am on week#10 and the period has not lighten up or even come close to stopping. When the doctor said 4 periods a year I cheered but I did not realize he meant these periods would last a month a time.

Now understandably the each person's body reacts differently but this is just plain exhausting physically not to mention it puts a real damper on my usually healthy sex life...I am ready to give up and go back to one period a month for 3 days rather than 4 periods a year for 30 days :!:
|

replied February 22nd, 2008
been on it for 2 or 3 years
So I have taken Seasonale and the generic Jolessa for about 2 or 3 years. At first the breakthrough bleeding was horrible but only lasted for one packet. Only thing I really have to complain about is that I still get all the emotional moody symptoms every month the week before and the week I should be having my period. It's like I am having a period but minus the bleeding part. I have noticed lots of weight gain also. Scariest thing was last month I had my actual period and I got extremely, scarey depressed. I was having suicidal thoughts and everything. It was lke I was
having a mental breakdown or something. Why I think it was the Seasonale- me and my friend happened to talk and she was having the same severe depression and mood swings i was having. The only common denominator was we were both taking seasonale.
So my question is -Am I crazy or is anyone else experience something like this???? I am seriously thinking about getting off it because I am scaring myself.

Natalie
|

replied October 24th, 2011
Depression and bleeding
I am experiencing the SAME thing. I am usually a very happy and psositive person. I feel so depressed and I have no sex drive. I did not experience these feelings on YAZ. I have had breakthrough bleeding each and every cycle. I bled for 6 weeks at one point. My doctor has me taking 2 pills a day when I start to breakthrough. I have been on this pill for just over a year. I have given it the "old college try" but I don't like it. Besides, I feel dangerously low. I don't feel myself. I am convinced it is the pills. I feel SO much better the week that I don't take the pills...even with cramps and bleeding. UGH!!
|

replied June 25th, 2008
Jolessa
I've been on Jolessa for 2 1/2 months now and have been spotting for 3 weeks and didn't know if I should wait this out, or just give up and stop taking them, or call the doctor!
Help!!!
Thanks
Lissa
|

replied August 2nd, 2008
Also taking Jolessa, also spotting. Ick.
I never spotted on brand-name Seasonale, never spotted on Quasense, but am spotting like mad on Jolessa. I am finishing the 6th week and I've been spotting for the last 3. I looked back at my diet, any supplements (multivites, Caltrate almost every day, no herbal supplements), & medications (occasional NSAIDs, Wellbutrin XL 300 mg) and found nothing that would explain the spotting. My gyn switched me to Lo-Ovral which has a different progesterone than Seasonale/Jolessa. So I'll see what happens. I'm quitting Jolessa after the 8th week.
|

replied February 21st, 2012
Jolessa and the Gall Bladder
I was on Jolessa for a year and I loved it. I had no issues with break thru or mood swings. I did however have several test and ultrasounds done for possible gall bladder disease. The tests showed my gall bladder is perfect and they could find nothing else wrong or why I was experiencing the pain and discomfort. It was suggested I was depressed and having phantom pain. I did my own research and time line and found that about the same time I started Jolessa I began experiencing the "gall bladder" issues. I stopped taking Jolessa and my pain is gone. I am currently looking for a new BC pill.
|

replied December 17th, 2008
Quasense
I have been on Quasense the generic version of seasonal for two weeks. I have noticed that I am real moody since I have started the pill. My mood swings are starting to make me feel depressed. I didn't have this problem untill I started taking quasense. Has anyone experienced this problem? Please let me know!
|

replied February 3rd, 2009
Quasense versus Seasonale
I was in a clinical trial for Seasonale about 6 years ago and stayed on it because it is great. I have endometriosis and this seems to really cut down my cramping. I was sooooo happy with Seasonale until my pharmacist decided that I should save some money and take the generic Quasense. Of course he wouldn't listen to me when I said I didn't want it so I tried it. What a mistake! I have horrible cramping - DAILY - and I have a spotting and break through bleeding that comes on with no warning which has been quite embarrassing on one occasion. I have argued with the dr. and pharmacist who both tell my that it is exactly the same pill. I am going back to Seasonale, I don't care how much more it costs - they are not the same thing as far as my body knows. I think everyone is different so I guess next time I will know better than to allow someone to tell me what I need to use - I have probably spent the difference in feminine hygene products!
|
Users who thank hottiearchitect for this post: dogisdead 

replied March 10th, 2009
Seasonale - No way.
I've been on Seasonale for the past 3 months...and the side effects are so unpleasant that I'm considering switching back to Ortho Tri-cylin. Aside from the break-through bleeding, which my boyfriend refers to as my "one month period", I'm almost fearful of taking the pill, as the nausea that follows is so extreme that it somewhat ruins me the remainder of the day. That, and the moodswings...
However, this CANNOT be said for everyone. I was doing fine on Ortho, but liked the idea of only getting my period once every 3 months. At this point, however, a week of tampons certainly beats the persistent moodswings and nausea.
|

replied April 2nd, 2009
Cardiac Conditions
Hello,

I have been on Seasonale for about two years now and I at first I never associated my smyptoms to the bc pill but I have been haveing rapid heart beats, nausea, vomitting, passed out 4 times, tingling sensation in my fingers and hands, dizziness, lightheadedness, headaches and burning sensation in the back of my head. I have had a complete cardiac work up and they cannot find nothing wrong with my heart. I also have a loop recorder implanted to monitor my heart rhythm. I am now seeing a neurologist becuase they think it may be vertigo now. All my tests come back negative and all the doctors say I am a medical mystery because they cannot find what is wrong with me. I have decdied to self diagnose myself and I used a time line when all this started and it was not long after I started Seasonale. Has anyone had this problem?
|

replied August 5th, 2012
SCARED!!!
I have been on Seasonale for about one year now, and recently, completely out of the blue, i started getting symptoms. I am very dizzy, extremely fatigued, tingling and numbness in my fingers and hands, weakness all over, i had a seizure also. trouble swallowing, memory loss, vision problems, ringing in ears, among other things aswell..very scary.. I was told at first that it was vertigo also but the symptpms aren't going away, infact they are getting worse. I have also been diagnosed as being clinically depressed since being on this pill. I have been to see a neurologist aswell and they cant give me any answers until I have an MRI and EKG done. I am wondering now if maybe it is my birth control...
|

replied August 5th, 2012
SCARED!!!
I have been on Seasonale for about one year now, and recently, completely out of the blue, i started getting symptoms. I am very dizzy, extremely fatigued, tingling and numbness in my fingers and hands, weakness all over, i had a seizure also. trouble swallowing, memory loss, vision problems, ringing in ears, among other things aswell..very scary.. I was told at first that it was vertigo also but the symptpms aren't going away, infact they are getting worse. I have also been diagnosed as being clinically depressed since being on this pill. I have been to see a neurologist aswell and they cant give me any answers until I have an MRI and EKG done. I am wondering now if maybe it is my birth control...
|

replied November 22nd, 2012
I have had the some of the same problems. rapid heart beat headaches. dizziness and i think it has a lot to do with this pill. I also get really bad cramping which i have never had before.
|

replied June 2nd, 2009
Re: Cardiac
I also had those symptoms you describe: rapid heart beats, nausea, vomitting, tingling sensation in my fingers and hands, dizziness, lightheadedness, headaches and burning sensation. I thought I had these symptoms from stress before my wedding. But I was on a generic version of ortho-tricylen (forget the exact name). Never thought to associate it to birth control. Maybe it is a horomonal thing.
|