Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Constipation Issues

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
I'm 20 yrs. Old and have a problem with constipation.Its been almost 2 years since I started having this problem.I've gone up to 3 weeks without going to the bathroom(very painful). Its come to the point,that I don't even have any urges to go to the bathroom. I always have take some kind of laxative.I've spent over $600.00 in blood work and x-rays,nothing was found.I also gained 40 pds within the first 3 months of this problem.
I recently found out that i'm hypoglycemic(low blood sugar),
but I don't know if this could be the cause.
Can anyone help me???
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 17th, 2003
Extremely eHealthy
What are you eating? Sometimes foods can have something to do with it. Like bananas dont help much, only make it worse. Have you tried eating prunes or something? Try eating some of those regularly or prune juice and take some maalox. Also there are prenatal pills that contain stool softener that will make it easier. Good luck, I hope I helped some.
|

replied September 17th, 2003
Experienced User
Constipation
Hey there,

i'm only 22 and I have had similar problems and they couldn't find anything wrong with me. When this happens they usually call it ibs(irratible bowel syndrome). They have recently come out with a new drug called zelnorm to help with this. I don't want to scare you but relying on laxatives for prolonged periods of time causes your bowels to stop functioning on there own. You should find a good doctor to treat you. My advice would be to get off the laxitives (easier said than done, i'm sure), start eating fibre and prunes and anything that helps promote healthy bowel stimulation. If you want to know more about ibs let me know. I hope this is some help.

Keep smiling,
jenn

p.S. Look for a good gastro doc in your area
|

replied September 18th, 2003
Thanks for your replies. I plan on going to the doctor in the near future once I get enrolled in my medical benefits. I hope I get over this soon. Thanks again Wink
|

replied December 8th, 2015
have you tried eating foods rich in fiber? aide from consuming fibrous veggies and fruits ..try something that can contribute to proper muscular function to aid regular bowel movements! this can help..i came across a dietary supplement..Digestic it might help you..it's all natural.. non genetically modified..jst take few minutes ro read.God bless
|

replied October 15th, 2003
Active User, very eHealthy
Same Problem
Jenniferlynn,
you have def. Come to the right place because I suffer from the same exact thing...My doctor has diagnosed it as functioning constipation...Ive had it ever since I was in at least 6th grade but never really knew it(i was in denial) up until about 3 years ago...Ive been properly diagnosed for about a year. They thought it may be ibs(irritable bowel syndrome, but it was mainly the constipation part)..There is so many things I can tell you about it, but id rather you pm me so I can help ya out...

It took me 3 different doctors before we found out what it was...And yes, there have been plenty of times when I havent gone to the bathroom in 3 or more weeks....Its horrible. People dont realize how horrible it really is....But you have got to go see a gastrointerologist....

Ive never talked to anybody outside my family about it because nobody else understands unless youve been there....And if I can help others out there who suffer from the same thing, id be more then happy to....Please feel free to get in touch with me anytime......Hope all goes well.

*vanessa*
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile