Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sinusitis Forum

Sinus Infection, But a Dry Nose??

Must Read
Do you have a cold or a sinus infection? Learn the difference plus more info on different types of sinus infections (sinusitis) here....
What can cause a short-term or long-term case of sinus infection? We review both. Learn how to avoid the risk of developing an infection in this section....
What are the first signs that you have trouble with your sinuses? Learn to identify a sinus infection early ... plus know when you should seek medical help....
I just started suffering with sinus problems the last 2 years. I have had 2 sinus surgeries in the past 12 months. (as well as an infection, I had a large cyst in my left maxillary sinus cavity. It was removed and then grew back.) i'm still having problems. I had a ct scan 3 weeks ago and it showed infection in the entire right maxillary sinus and the left maxillary sinus was about 3/4 full of infection. I also have infection in the frontal sinuses, but not as bad. I have severe sinus pain along the cheeks, nose, and between the eyes. This often turns into a migraine. What's strange is that my nose has been dry the past month and I do not have any drainage coming out. I do feel drainage down my throat and it is sore. I have severe inflammation and when I wake up in the mornings, my face is swollen. Also, for about the past 2 months, my checks will turn bright red, swell up, and be severely hot to the touch. This comes and goes. The past week my gums on the left, top side are really sore and painful. I've been on antibiotics but they do not work. Does anyone out there have any suggestions on what to do? Or what this could be caused from? I worry about the infection spreading.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper NurHead
|

replied May 26th, 2004
Hi there, I am a 28 year old female and I just started suffering from sinus and throat problem too. After a bunch of tests, {i had a throat culture and a blood culture}and numerous antibotics and allergy meds, the doctor found my problem. It was an infection with staph bacteria in my throat and sinuses and upper airways. Boy was I sick for a long while! Mydoctor put me on a drug called sulfamethoprim, a combo of sulfa and trimethoprim. It is not an antibiotic, since atibiotics do not work on this bacteria. It works by stopping the bacteria from multiplying and you slowly get better. I was on it 3 weeks ago and I am just now starting to feel better. Before the doctor knew what was wrong with me I was on every antibiotic known to man and a lot of allergy meds. Nothing worked. Then she found the staph in my culture and immediatly put me on this. Thank god it worked cause I just wanted to die. Please mention this med to your doctor as you may be infected wth staph too.
|
Users who thank Pmarie for this post: ozersky 

replied September 15th, 2008
Dry inflammed nasal cavity and forehead pressure
I came down with mild forehead pressure and noticed that my nasal cavity was dryer than usual. So, what did I do but look into my nose with a flashlight....It led me to very two inflammed and very red sinuses. At the doctor he found my ears to be completely blocked. My ears were washed thoroughly and 3 days later I still have that nagging forehead pressure....I have also been prescribed flonase to reduce the swelling. Not sure if this matters but I swam every day this summer and I know for certain that the chlorine effected my nose. Also, when the doctor examined my nasal cavity, besides telling me it was very swollen, he noticed that the right nostril was almost completely swollen. This is kind of funny but I have been tired for a very long time but just chalked it up to working long hours and because I snore I had a sleep apnea study that just came back normal. Any thoughts or recommendations......
|

replied October 3rd, 2008
Just wondering if your ear and forehead pain cleared up?

Sounds to me like it was a case of sinusitis.
I suffer from sinusitis and right now am going through a bad flare-up.
Pain in my right maxilla (cheek) and right forehead as well as my right ear. I even have swelling in the sinus areas. I'm on antibiotics right now.
I've done a fair amount of research. I have learned that it is recommended to take an antiinflammatory spray like flonase daily to treat inflammation and when there is no flare-up, to prevent sinusitis.
It's important to keep the nose/sinuses moist to prevent inflammation that leads to infection, so I've started flushing with saline. This can be done with a neti-pot or bottle. It is natural so you can do it frequently.

I am seeing an ENT to look at treatment options. I am expecting he will do a CT scan.
Has anyone had surgery with positive results for recurrent sinusitis?.....
|

replied April 25th, 2010
sinusitis
dear all,
I have a chronic sinusitis, I had a surgery last year, but the doctor only opened the sinus openings and didn''t take the cyst out. I am having sometimes strong forehead pressure, head ache. Before and after surgery I am having dry nasal cavity, pain in the eyes, sometimes pain between the eyes, top of the nose. So my symptom are the same as you. Always I feel sick, weakness.Please let me know I you have a treatment.
|

replied May 17th, 2010
How to treat sinus problems
Best way to relieve sinus problems the natural way is to do a sinus rinse twice a day. You can buy a small machine called SINUPULSE ($100) for rinsing sinuses. It looks like a Waterpik to wash teeth. A less expensive alternative is to use a small bottle with saline solution from Neilmed (can get from drug store). It is also rcommended to have a good air purifier when you sleep. Also ensure you do not eat too much junk food and you drink plenty of water. Finally ensure humidity level is between 45 to 50 %.
|

replied June 17th, 2010
I get very bad sinus infections as well, no surgery yet!!! But I have other health issues so find an antibiotic really hard on my stomach, so I went the natural way. I use Collodial Silver, from any health food store, and it's cheap! Smile I use it about 5 times throughout the day and put drops in my nose, eyes and ears. I have found it works very well for me, besides Collodial Silver is used to treat many other things like acne, open wounds, burns, foot fungi and many other ailments! Best of luck! Stay healthy:0)
|

replied June 19th, 2010
sinupulse
I have been using the sinupulse for over two years with great results. I was able to get it at drugstore.com for 79.00 but CVS and others have it too online. Since using it I have not had any sinus infections and the usual colds i get are rare these days. I sleep better and no longer wake up with the morning congestion or post nasal drip. Its a little pricey but well worth it and more!
|
Users who thank melinda331 for this post: halebyrd 

replied September 7th, 2010
Possible Spider bite leading to sinus infection...
Currently have symptoms very similar to the first poster. Sinuses tingling, sometimes hot, bear able. Extremely dry nose the whole time. It spread to my forehead sinuses. Even cause eye bruising (after 1 1/2 weeks of symptoms). Got Omnaris (steroid nasal spray) after 1 week of symptoms, didn't seem to help (used for almost 2 weeks but no real change). Got Amoxicillin (antibiotics) after 2 weeks of symptoms. Seemed to subdue most of the forehead pressure and tingling, but it's been a week of that and no total relief yet. Exercised today and my head was throbbing, face tingling again.

Little over a year ago, I had pretty much the same symptoms which seemed to be brought about by a bug or spider bite on the chin. A blister raised to the skin, popped at cleaned it gone in a day. But there was tingles and swollen tonsils. The doctor gave me Zithromax early on, and it gone in a couple days.

This time around has been miserable. I can function and do everything, but booze or exercise. Constant discomfort of the head and face, dry nose is a trip. I think I'm gonna start snorting some saline as well.
|

replied March 20th, 2011
Do NOT use colloidal silver. Even though it does have antiseptic properties, if taken internally or applied to mucus membranes (eyes, nose), silver will turn your skin blue permanently. This happens gradually, builds up in the tissues until one day you wake up looking like a Smurf or Smurfette and stay that way for the rest of your life.
|

replied March 22nd, 2012
Colloidal Silver is Safe
That's not true. It will only turn you blue if you drink outrageous quantities. The amounts in ppm sprays could never in a million years turn anybody blue. Please try not to make people afraid until you have all the facts.
|

replied August 20th, 2011
I don't know if I am reply or posting, I hope its posting. I am 44 years of age and female who has for year been diagnosed with sinus issues. Recently, I got anger and read some other posts and found on about Trigeminal Neuralgia, its a rather nasty thing, but it what I have, not sinus. If you have been diagnosed with sinus issues a ton of times and have found on relief please research this, and share with your doctor what you've learned. After years of suffering with this, I am finally being treated for the right thing. I wanted to post my story for you all and progress but I don't know how, please respond if you do and I will willing share all that is going on. Trigeminal Neuralgia alto of times gets diagnosed as sinusitis, this disease will come back and it will get worse, trust me I have spent the last 5 days on my knees crying like a newborn, with the right meds and doc you can control it and even beat it. Best of luck and pleas tell me what happens
|

replied August 20th, 2011
hi would love to know what you have been given to treat this as i am suffering with constant pain in my sinusis chronic for the last year and up to now nothing helps spent most of the last 3 months in the house finding it hard to cope with Sad any advice would be gratefull Smile
|

replied August 21st, 2011
sinus, migraine, trigeminal Neuealgia, A-Typical facial pain, it is all trial and error. Any Doctor will tell you so. If one thing is not working, move on to the next. Good luck people!
|

replied April 25th, 2012
trigeminal neuralgia and sinus problems
I also had years of sinus issues, had surgery for deviated septum helped for awhile. 6 months ago had microvascular decomoression of the trigeminal nerve, mine was caused by a very large petrosal vein compressing the nerve in 4 places. Had great relief intially but am back to square one. Attachs are very intense my triggers are chewinf, talking and cool breezes along with nasal congestion on the left side. Met with my neurosurgeon and its not uncommon for reocurrence. may need another procedure. Its better than living like this. Dont give up there is help out there. Keep trying. My attachs began 20 years ago. Had braces at age 36 it helped for awhile. Then my dentist started with extractions, one by one my left side no teeth but attachs I experience phantom tooth pain now I understand, it was TN In the severe cases you will have symptoms such as sinusitis, my sinuses have dropped and need to be lifted away from the maxillary sinus. with a flare up it feels like sinus infection. Dont give up!
|

replied September 15th, 2011
Dry sinuses/ headaches
I finally got some relief from these symptoms after my doctor prescribed Azithromycin. In addition I use a neti pot with nasal saline solution to irrigate sinuses which really seems to help with occasional dryness/ headaches. Make sure to treat both sides of nasal equally. Use warm distilled water and nasal rinse mix available at the drugstore. Also, drinking a bottle of Gatorade seems to help with dehydration especially if you live in an arid desert like climate like I do.
|

replied September 18th, 2011
thanks will ask docter for those and try the neti pot again never thought of the drinks as always dehydrated and have low blood pressure fingers crosed this helps .
|

replied December 21st, 2011
Hi tognem.

I'm glad you brought up the point of low blood pressure.
I've been dealing with dry sinuses for going on 2.5 years now Before she passed away, I remember my grandma on my mother's side telling me she suffered from and habitually was kept awake by a lot of "grit" falling from the inside corners of her eyes, particularly at night. This same issue is going on with me now. I'm certain I inherited my 110 over 60 blood pressure from my mother's side. Now I'm wondering if low blood pressure and dry sinus problems could be linked.
|

replied January 5th, 2012
My problem is so odd.. last winter i got a severe sinus infection and since that time have used a humidifier in my bedroom....complained to doctor and she said I had post nasal drip and prescribed nasonex ..it isn't working and this is what I have noticed...when I'am at home during the day I deal ok with things but as soon as I close my eyes my nose dries up and I actually can't breathe then in the middle of the night I wake up gasping for breath because my mouth is closed but my nose has dried up..I am sooo miserable, can't sleep for more than 2 hrs at a time and as soon as I open my eyes I can feel popping sounds across my nose area and then my nasal area opens back up again....can the fact that I close my eyes affect my nasal passages
|

replied March 24th, 2012
Re: Sinus Infection, But a Dry Nose??
kmcleod wrote:
I've been on antibiotics but they do not work. Does anyone out there have any suggestions on what to do? Or what this could be caused from? I worry about the infection spreading.

I have this book called "Sinus Survival" that says that not only do antibiotics not work for sinus problems, they are very damaging and cause candidiasis.
|

replied April 18th, 2012
Probably if antibiotics don't work, it is because you have a viral infection, not bacterial. Most sinus infections are viral in nature. Other than time, a few things you can do is moisten and irrigate your nasal passageways, try cutting down on dairy and sweets, which cause mucous production, or use herbal medicine which is specific for sinus conditions.
|

replied June 2nd, 2013
sinus infections are FUNGAL, not viral. you need something that is anti-fungal like olive leaf capsules or oil of oregano.. take internally. they are anti-fungal and help with sinus issues.. at least they help me...
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Dr. Srinivas Singaram