Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Osteoporosis In Teenagers?

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
Recently, i've noticed that my boyfriend seems relatively shorter than he used to be about a year ago, and we found out that he has gone from being 6'2" to 5'11"! Shocked I was wondering if it's possible that osteoporosis could occur in teenagers (he is 19 years old), and what might cause it. A theory of my mom's is that he drinks too much pop (about 3-4 cans a day) and that it can result in the loss of bone density, but i'm not sure whether that could be possible. Any help would be much appreciated!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 3rd, 2010
Remember that the spine is S-shaped and flexible so it's possible that he is "losing height" because he is letting his spine curve more (ie., he is slumping more). But there's no doubt in my mind that soda is bad for the body. Soda--like Coke--and even Gatorade, and other similar 'sports' drinks--are highly acidifying to the body, causing the body to leach calcium out of the bones in order to keep the blood at a more alkaline level. DO stay away from all sodas and acidifying sports drinks! Very bad for your health, including your energy level.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov