Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Accuracy of Ultrasound Gender Determination.

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
Hi guys,
does anyone know the reliability of using ultra sound to tell the gender of the baby.
I did a scan at 21 weeks and have been told the sex of the child.
Is this verdict 100% correct?
Have there been known to be errors in this method of checking?

Rosa
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 16th, 2003
Extremely eHealthy
There have been mistakes sometimes of what the gender is. But those chances are slim. They usually are pretty accurate. You might want to take another ultrasound so you can be sure that they are correct.
|

replied September 17th, 2003
Ultra Sound Accuracy
Caro-nikki,
thanks for your response. I guess mine is just wishful thinking.
I will settle for the current verdict and wait patiently.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Yeah my sister wanted a boy so bad we started calling her tummy gabriel and the ultra sound proved it to be a girl, and we said "are you sure? Cuz its supposed to be a boy!" but no, our little hope is a sweetie anyways. Good luck!
|

If they see a penis in the ultrasound, then it's very hard to be wrong. A boy's penis in an ultrasound looks sort of like an apple (the testicles) with an arrow pointing out of it (the penis). If they don't see it, then more than likely you have a girl. However, the baby might be positioned in such a way that the penis is not visible. So, if they say girl, might be a boy. But if they say boy, you can 99% count on it. Care to share what they said?
|

replied September 18th, 2003
Accuracy of Ultra Sounds In Gender Identification
Thanks mum in dallas,
the scan showed baby girl!!
I and my husband for some reason thought we were having a boy; david to be precise.
What do you think? Should I start shopping for pinks?
|

I guess that depends on how much confidence your doctor and ultrasound technician have in the test. If they say they are sure, then go for it! I'm not a huge fan of pink so if mine turns out to be a girl finally (i feel like it is :d), then i'll be buying lots of white! Lol
|

Extremely eHealthy
Alot of pink is cute! There is also light purple or blue too! But the girls clothes are so precious! Congratulations!!!!
|

Thanks!! After three boys (ages 8, 11 & 12), i'm sooo ready for a girl!! Smile
|

Extremely eHealthy
You are lucky for a boy! I wish I could have a boy, my family has strong girl genes!!! I have 3 sisters and 2 neices. No boys at all! When I do have kids, wish me luck for a boy!
|

Good luck with getting a boy .... But ... Did you know the gender of the child is entirely, and I man 100%, detemined by the man's sperm? The sperm cells themselves contain a gender. So if your egg is fertilized by a male, you're having a boy!
|

Extremely eHealthy
Well I hope so! Thanks!!!! And good luck to you!!!!
|

replied September 19th, 2003
Ultra Sound And Gender
Thanks mum in dallas, then a girl it is for the 4th time!!!
As for nikki caro, dont worry about the genes!I and my husband come from families where there are 5 boys and 2 girls(husband) and 4 boys 2 girls(my family). So you see if its a case of genes we should be getting more boys and less girls!!
My doctor always told me that chamces of getting either sex are 50:50 but with me having 4 girls,i disagree with that theory and think its all up to god almighty and luck!!
Just keep fingers crossed or go for pre selection if you want it that bad.
I should have done the same myself but I guess its too late for that now.
Rosa
|

I'm 100% for leaving it up to god. I believe we get what we're meant to get ... Maybe i'm just supposed to be a mom for boys ... Who knows? But i'll be happy with whatever baby he blesses me with! Wink
|

Extremely eHealthy
Exactly, maybe I need a girl because boys will drive me crazy!Hahaha but id be happy with what god gave me.
|

replied September 22nd, 2003
I just thought you should know they are'nt always right. They told me I was having a boy and even measured a penis and when it was born he was a she. I had over 5 ultrasounds every time it was supposedly a boy. So you never really know.
|

replied September 24th, 2003
Accuracy of Ultra Sounds In Gender Identification
Amberose
you dont know how encouraging your message sounds to me!!
I will be quite conservative and buy very few pinks and more of whites and yellows.
I cant bear the agony of another scan, I will just wait and see.
Meanwhile, the thing to do is to enjoy my christmas and new year while I can before the little bundle shows up to tie me down.
As to the mummy with boys and hoping for a girl, best of luck too!
|

replied March 21st, 2007
I am feeling the same way. I am a Mother of two boys and I am pregnant for a third time. We did everything we could to have a girl, timing, positions, etc. I was told at 19weeks it was a boy and I have been crying ever since. I love my boys, but can't imagine my life without a girl. My pregancy has been 100% completely differnt then my first two, so I was convinced it was finally my time for a girl. I hope you get what you want!!
|

User Profile
replied March 21st, 2007
Especially eHealthy
This post is over 3 years old, hon.
|

replied March 22nd, 2007
For Cjaggie
Hi, I saw your reply on this post. The thread is apparently 3 years old, but I'm in a similar boat and thought I'd try to get in touch with you! I have two little boys and am 16 weeks with #2. My ultrasound is in 2 weeks, and I'm already crying in fear that it's a boy. Of course I will adore him, but I too cannot imagine my life without a daughter and my husband says this is it. We tried the Shettles method this time, and hopefully it worked. I just don't know how I'll get through it if it's a boy. Once he gets here, I'll be fine - but in the meantime I'll be a mess. I hope you're feeling better.....
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski