Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stroke Forum

Claiming Social Security Disability After Stroke (Page 1)

Must Read
What happens during a stroke? What increases your chances of having a stroke? Stroke basics and info on the two types of stroke here....
Strokes can happen with virtually no warning signs. Learn the symptoms of stroke so that you can take immediate action in case of emergency....
I had a stroke three months ago. I haven't been able to return to work and doubt I ever will. I can walk and talk but not drive a car yet. I've read horror stories about trying to get ssdi.Any comments or advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in dana point
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 2nd, 2004
Disability
My husband is trying for this right now, as he too simply cannot work. His dr suggested it, and it's been about 5 months and they still haven't made a decission. Will keep you posted.
|

replied May 16th, 2005
Ssi
What I am finding out about ssi and disability is that it can take 4-6 months to recieve it and you can be put on medical hold.
I suffered from stroke in jan 05, still am not driving and still waiting on disabiliy and social security, hopefully will not get denied first time, have heard that it is very possible
|

replied June 26th, 2005
I had 2 strokes in november 04 filed for social security 8 monthes ago, still no decision
|

replied August 11th, 2006
Ss And Stroke
My husband had a massive stroke october, 2005. He got social security disability. You have to be persistant and you have to fill out all those forms.
At first he was turned down, but after more proof was sent in he did qualify.
He will never go back to work in his condition. He has no use of his left side and is still suffering from left neglect.

Go after them!!
|

replied August 11th, 2006
And yes it does take 6 months from the time of the stroke to get the social security.
|

replied September 29th, 2006
burnttires32 wrote:
i had 2 strokes in november 04 filed for social security 8 monthes ago, still no decision

fsck these ssi nazis
|

replied January 23rd, 2008
Social Security Disability Benefits
Getting disability benefits can acutually take even more then 4-6 months. You can be denied on the initial level which could take at least 3 months, apply for a social security disability reconsideration (another 3-6 months), be denied again and finally apply for a hearing in front of an administrative law judge which depending on your state could take 6 more months to a year.
|

User Profile
replied February 2nd, 2008
Community Volunteer
I had a stroke a few years ago, couldn't read or write or remember names,etc. I have come a long long way starting with Dick and Jane and on and on...BUT I got my SSI with the help of my doctor filling out most of the paperwork... about 4 months after stroke...try asking your doctor to help with the paperwork. I still have a BIG problem with short term memory loss...but I can handle that with post it notes and a recorder. I am so blessed and so lucky I didn't suffer any paralysis but I can never work again either....fortunately I was never denied because I would have lost my home.....Peace and Love and good luck to all that visit this thread! HomerX:)
|

replied March 16th, 2008
I had a stroke Feb '07 and applied for disability in Jan '08. I live in Bergen County, NJ. I have limited use of my right side but I have recently resumed driving with adaptions to my car. I brought copies of all the doctor's reports and filled out the on-line papers ahead of going to the SS office. I went with my husband and they were very nice and helpful. They told me it would take 4-6 months to hear from them. I got a call from the guy who was handling my case that there was a question about one of the doctor's reports. I called the doctor that same day and asked him to respond asap. I was approved 2 months later. I think the trick is to give them everything they ask for at one time so your case does not lie on someone's desk while they wait for more information. Good Luck to all!
|

replied October 7th, 2011
driving after stroke
I have limited right side usage after a stroke miss driving can you please let me know about the adaptions. Hope you are doing well.
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2008
Community Volunteer
cdal...good advise...it can be a bit of a hassle but its worth it when that first check comes...I would be in BIG trouble without it! I hope you are doing good...I had no paralysis but lost lots of memory...with out SS I would be homeless by now...or having to live with family.
|

replied April 30th, 2008
stroke
had my stroke 8/23 07. applied for benifits 9/3/07. no word yet
|

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2008
Community Volunteer
You need to get back in touch with them and do a follow up and find out what is going on so you don't fall between the cracks.
|

replied March 7th, 2009
zarie
I had a stroke feb. 29 09, it hurts when i walk, laydown and i have balance problem and i still dizzy when i try to walk . I have an open case before this stroke my lawyer taking care everything and yes u must get your doctor to say u disable. I been waiting since 2003, because of my education i was turn down now the stroke. They got in touch with my doctor for more infor. my memory is bad and i have to take a test for ss before they determine if i'm disable.
|

replied September 11th, 2009
As mean as the SSA is preceved to be, it is really very compassionate. The SSA assumes you will recive treatment - including physical, mental, or speech therapy and that your ability to function will improve for, at least, the first 90 days. The disability determination analyst will not make a determination until at least 90 days post stroke. At that time your ability to function - including walk, talk, remember, etc. will be assessed.
|

replied October 30th, 2009
My husband has had several strokes. He became permanently disabled by stroke November 2008. I submitted his application online as soon as possible, got letters from the neurologist and supplied as much detail as I possibly could in that application. I also CALLED OUR CASE MANAGER OFTEN AND REGULARLY! She was extremely compassionate, but very busy with cases. This is where the problem can be, with your case getting buried in the stack, so keep your case active by calling your case manager often. We did have to wait 90 days from the date of the disabling stroke before SSA would make a decision. Praise God, we were approved on day 91 and the disability payments started coming 3 months later (disability payements do not start until 6 months ater the date the disabiity occured).
|

replied December 31st, 2009
You may qualify for a compassionate allowance. This is information from the Social Security web site:

Social Security has an obligation to provide benefits quickly to applicants whose medical conditions are so serious that their conditions obviously meet disability standards.
Compassionate allowances are a way of quickly identifying diseases and other medical conditions that invariably qualify under the Listing of Impairments based on minimal objective medical information. Compassionate allowances allow Social Security to quickly target the most obviously disabled individuals for allowances based on objective medical information that we can obtain quickly.

Commissioner Astrue has held four Compassionate Allowance public outreach hearings. The hearings were on rare diseases, cancers, traumatic brain injury (TBI) and stroke, and early-onset Alzheimer's disease and related dementias. The Commissioner will hold the fifth public outreach hearing on schizophrenia in November 2009. The hearing will take place in San Francisco, California.

The initial list of Compassionate Allowance conditions was developed as a result of information received at public outreach hearings, public comment on an Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, comments received from the Social Security and Disability Determination Service communities, and the counsel of medical and scientific experts.

More information:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/compassionat eallowances/

http://socialsecuritydisabilityus.com
|

replied February 10th, 2010
the system sux
I had a stroke in 1991, i was 5 years old. my parents tried to get support from the government from this point.
however was rejected many times, when i turned 16 it became my problem, im now 24 years old my disability has not improved (hemiplegia)and have be informed the likely hood of improvement is doubtful and i still dont meet the requirements...

i think the ssi need to revaluate there decisions...
|

replied July 1st, 2010
I did aply in 04. I am 35 I have Rhumatoid arthritis. been denyd meny times. still not aproved. this last may i did have 2 stroks. now they did send me a leter saying they are throwing owt the first juges anser. becuz he did not look at all my recerds. so hopfully this will meen this hole thing with ss is all most over and i will be aproved. Good luk to you all!
|

replied January 7th, 2011
MY HUSBAND RECENTLY SUFFERED A STROKE AND ALSO HAS A ANEURYSM ON THE LEFT SIDE OF HIS BRAIN.DOCTORS SAYS THERES NOTHING THEY CAN DO UNTIL IT RUPTURES,ITS WAY TOO DANGEROUS TO GO IN THERE NOW.HIS DOCTORS SUGGESTED HE START APPLYING FOR DISABILITY SINCE IT TAKES A WHILE.HES A TRUCK DRIVER
|
12 >>
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Deepak Anvekar
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile