Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

What Does Pain From Hysterectomy Surgery Feel Like? (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hi, everyone. I just found this site today. I'm 41 and have fibroids. My Dr. Said that I probably need a hyst. -- a partial one. I have a daughter (15) and don't want any more children. The Dr. Said my fibroid is big -- equal to 16 to 18 week fetus. The fibroid was diagnosed first when I was in my late-20s but very small. Now my waist has expanded over the past year, heavy bleeding with period, bad cramps. My question is about the surgical pain from this kind of surgery. I've never had major surgery before and my daughter was born without any anethesia. Can someone describe the pain when you come out of it? I've heard it feels like bad gas pains. Thanks for your replies!! Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 13th, 2004
Hi
Hi there,
i had the same type of fibriods also, and a cyst on my ovary, I had a partial done about 7 weeks ago, and the pain after the hyst is hard to describe, its not like bad gas, it feels like mmmmmmm. Like I guess after you have a baby and then the incision part too may hurt and you do tend to feel really bloated, its been 7 weeks for me and I still feel bloated!
The first week is hard and then it gets easier after that.
Good luck!
Pat
|

replied May 14th, 2004
It's Very Strange...
The first week the incision site is very sore. Every movement is painful, especially getting up from lying down. It gets easier after a while. The incision site stings for some time, and there are numb spots around it too. There are sharp, but short pains, that move around inside from the internal sutures. But the oddest sensation of all is the heavy feeling you'll have - as if everything inside wants to fall out! Not painful... Just strange. All in all, at 6 weeks post op, I did not feel it was so bad. I am extremely glad to have done it. Now I can live again! :d
|

replied May 14th, 2004
Thanks
Thank you for your replies. I feel a lot better about this upcoming surgery. Laughing
|

User Profile
replied May 14th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Hysterectomy
I had a complete abdominal hysterectomy due to cancer, I was in the hospital for three days, I did not remember anything if the first two days, they kept me pretty well out of it. I was up and around a few days after I caame home, I have no regrets it was the best surgery I ever had and I have had a bunch and now, after 4 years I am still cancer free!
Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing
sincerely,
sandy
|

replied April 18th, 2010
I am getting a hysterectomy in 2 days, i am terrified what is the pain level on a scale of 1-10 when you wake up??
|

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2010
Community Volunteer
This depends on whether you are having an abdominal or vaginal Hysterectomy....I had the abdominal and it was pretty heavy....But, they feed you morphine which dulls it...I think you are so happy that it is over that the pain dulls itself to start....Take care and not to worry....

Caroline
|

replied April 19th, 2010
Vaginal Hysterectomy
Janijohn, could you please let us know (or me how you are doing) mine is set for May 12. I am trying to get all the info that I can find. I am having a vaginal hysterectomy.
Needing to know what to expect after. Please anyone can give me some info I would like to hear it.
|

replied May 9th, 2012
I had a vaginal hysterectomy 8 years ago due to cancer. I would describe it as worse than having a baby. I only stayed in the hospital 9 hours and signed out AMA. I returned to work after four weeks but was in pain for 8 weeks.
|

replied October 23rd, 2012
I am scheduled for a hysterectomy in December and also plan to sign out AMA as my doc wants me to stay 2 days and this is impossible due to multiple family,house, pet responsibilities. Why did you sign out AMA? What type of reaction did you get from the hospital staff and doctor? what were you able to do when you got home? Also I will need a doctor's note to return to work if I take a medical leave (and I doubt my doctor will write one if I sign out) so I am thinking about just taking a personal leave but then wouldn't get paid. Do you have any thoughts on type of leave? Thanks.....lr
|

replied April 20th, 2010
Pain
I may need to re-post I am going to have a vaginal hysterectomy and I am a little scared. I am wondering about the pain after. Please help
|

replied April 22nd, 2010
I am scheduled looking into a one for a uterine prolaspe? Does anyone have the same problem?
|

replied April 23rd, 2010
I had a large womb because of fibroids. I had a subtotal hysterectomy 12 weeks ago and have regretted it ever since. The outside of the tummy heals quite quickly but the inside stitching takes a good 12 weeks to heal. However 12 weeks on I still feel quite sore inside. The worse is the first 6-8 weeks you have to rest up, but also walk around too to stop possible blood clots.
My tummy is sore and numb in places, and the lower pain is more severe than before I had the operation.
There are non surgical ways of reducing fibroids, also there are surgical procedures that can be done without removing the womb. Think hard before opting for a hysterectomy.
|

replied April 27th, 2010
Total Hysterectomy
Don''t worry too much about the pain when you wake up. You probably won''t remember much about it and they will give you what you need to control it. I had a total hysterectomy April 20th. I had a tumor on my ovary that was thought to be malignant, still waiting for pathology report. My surgeon used the DaVinci robot to do the surgery with. I was told using the robot would speed up the recovery time. I''ve had other surgeries for tumors and cysts and this one wasn''t any easier. It''s only been a week but the pain is tremendous and not at all what I had expected. The brusing was the worst that I have ever experienced for any major surgery that I''ve ever had. If I had known it was going to be this severe I may have opted to not have it done.
|

replied March 19th, 2011
Pain after a Hysterectomy
I had a laproscopic hysterectomy 2 weeks ago. It was a total hys. and done with the robot. I had 4 entry sites. The pain when I first woke up was dulled by morphin. The first time up was the worst pain I have ever felt. Worse than my c-section. Trembling, fast breathing from breathing hard from the pain. I am still in pain. Two of my incisions are still draining and still hurt. Laproscopic surgery is harder to recover from than the bikini cut. I Think in the long run it will be worth it .
|

replied September 15th, 2011
I had a full hysterectomy 3 weeks ago. The pain was bad when I first work up but the meds are good. Teh worst part was having to get up the next day and walk around and go to the bath room on my own. I will say do not lay around alot or it will hurt more when you do get up and sleeping is still so hard for me. I aso feel numbe below my incision and wonder how long that will last also I feel like needles are poking me on my left side if I move worng. Oveall the back pains are gone and I look forward to feeling 100% again.
|

replied January 8th, 2012
hysterectomy
I am only 27 i have young children and the doctor has told me i need to have a vaginal hysterectomy as previous surgery has failed me. Can anyone tell me what the stay in hospital is and is the pain bad i have a scan on thursday to see if they need to do anything else at the same time then they will book me in any information will be appreciated
|

replied May 6th, 2012
I have just had a total hysterectomy for cancer. The first day when they get you out of bed is the worst, but had morphine drip so could dose myself. By day 2 I was walking the corridor off the drip, peeing, ok I did have a bladder infection from cathetar but felt good. cancer has gone, but going for brachytherapy to help make sure. Am now looking forward!
|

User Profile
replied May 11th, 2012
Community Volunteer
ecce wrote:
I have just had a total hysterectomy for cancer. The first day when they get you out of bed is the worst, but had morphine drip so could dose myself. By day 2 I was walking the corridor off the drip, peeing, ok I did have a bladder infection from cathetar but felt good. cancer has gone, but going for brachytherapy to help make sure. Am now looking forward!

Good for you...Fear can be worse than the surgery itself...My best to you....Take care...

Caroline
|

replied June 16th, 2013
Abdominal hysterectomy
Can anyone explain what the pain is like when you first wake from a abdominal hysterectomy its my only fear I am having one In four days x
|

replied June 21st, 2013
Vaginal hysterectomy
I just had a vaginal hysterectomy and wall repairs done three days ago. The pain is horrific now but earlier it was ok when you are able to self administer. It feels like massive pressure of being constipated and a period ache too. Nurses tell me I should start feeling some ease soon. I hope so!
|

replied July 22nd, 2013
hysterectomy
Just had a vaginal and also I think it was called TVT on July 16th. The pain has been crazy..at times I feel like I'm in labor! But the brusing is horrible.. they went in laporscopically on each side of my pubic bone. So the whole front of it is black and blue the outside and inside lips are also black and blue.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Deepak Anvekar
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile