Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Abdominal Pain After Sex...what Could It Be?

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
I had abdominal pain after sex and I was wondering if it could be a sign of something
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 13th, 2004
Experienced User
That isn't a lot of information..Was it immediately after, and how long did it last and what sort of pain where?

I'm only replying because I have had problems with ovarian cysts in the past, I had abdominal pain but thought maybe we'd just been a bit over-enthusiastic! But eventually a cyst ruptured and I ended up with a severe pelvic inflammation...So if this is a pain a bit like you've been punched in the ovaries, it is probably worth going to see your gyno about. If you have cysts, it is easy to treat usually with antibiotics, they would probably need to do an ultrasound.
|

replied May 13th, 2004
Experienced User
Re
The pain lasted for about 30. Min and it felt like cramps I havent had it since then, but today it kinda felt like little needles poking me, any one know what that sounds like?
|

replied May 20th, 2004
My friend experiences this as well...The first few times we had sex there was no pain at all. Lately though, after we have sex she says she feels like she is having menstrual cramps...They last about 15 minutes or so, sometimes longer, and sometimes the pain doesn't occur immediately after sex (once it happened during)...But the last time it was about 30 minutes after sex that she started cramping up.

She has very very intense orgasms, and it is uncommon for her not to ejaculate during sex.

She is an average sized girl, I am 6'10", and am about 9 1/2"....We ruled out that my size could be the issue, because we had sex several times without the cramping occuring.

We usually have sex doggy-style, but the cramps occur when we are in the missionary position (in fact the one time they started during sex was in the missionary position).

She works only part time, and does not have insurance, so we were hoping to get some ideas as to what it could be before seeing her doctor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-six
|

replied July 15th, 2008
hurt after having sex
ok my bf and i had sex the other night. right after he pulled out. i hurt really bad down where you would get cramps. (and we have had sex before and he's the my first you know) then if i were to move it would hurt more. i couldnt move or laugh for a good 30 mins. could anyone tell me why that is?

also the pain kinda made me feel sick to my stomach as well.

could someone help me out here please thanks
|

replied September 7th, 2009
Me and my bf had sex a couple nights ago after drinking. We had sex for 2 hours straight, different positions. Well the next day I woke up and was having abdominal pain all day. I still have a little pain and bleeding when i go to the bathroom but its very light. Anybody know why?
|

replied May 24th, 2010
Back Pain
For years, probably around 10 years, sometimes after orgasm (usually after masturbating) I have bad back pain for about 30 minutes after my orgasm. I feel menstrual pain in my back, so that would be how I cramp. I also sometimes fell sick to my stomach as well with the cramping.

So does that mean that I have a cyst, like above answers?
|

replied September 2nd, 2012
abdominal pain after sex
PLEASE don't immediately think everyone posting has ovarian cysts. The causes of abdominal pain are numerous, and most of the above posts sound like normal everyday abdominal pain, except that they occured after sex. To the person who had pain the next day, when this happened to me, it was because sex was vigorous (as yours was)and I actually overused some core muscles like you do when you are strenth training. It goes away and the muscles are leaner and stronger for the experience. So I just chalk it up to a good workout. Right now, however, I am having cramping-like pain within the half-hour after sex. It is not on the sides like the ovaries are, so I'm going to rule that out for myself. Furthermore, I do have cramping regularly as part of my irritable bowel syndrome, so what I am wondering is if sex and orgasm {including female ejaculation) could have simply caused parasympathetic arousal, and my digestive processes kicked into gear. I had learned in a college course that during arousal both men and women experience sympathetic arousal {increasing heartrate, breathing heavy, etc.), and men require parasympathetic arousal to ejaculate. So my simple theory is that this occured in me, and parasympathetic arousal allowed me to orgasm/squirt and also stimulated digestion, which sometimes results in pain for me due to my IBS. I have not been able to verify this with 15 minutes on the web, though. Sad
|

replied September 7th, 2012
Stomach cramp after sex
I've had similar symptoms, occurring immediately post-sex for about 20-30mins. The excruciating pain comes and goes in my lower abdomen, but it only happened to me if I have a deep intercourse a few days prior to my period schedule. I've been paying attention to the cause of this pain, and I can prevent the pain by having the intercourse not too deep or not having sex prior to my period. I notice that exercising such as doing treadmill or aerobic class helps alleviate the pain, if there is a pain. Does anybody else have similar hypothesis? I think not everyone has the same kind of pain, and we still have to do the ob/gyn examination regularly.
|

replied September 8th, 2012
I have also experienced pain in my lower abdomen after intercourse close to my period and don't know why. The pain isn't as bad when I'm on the pill and I've recently got off it as my husband and I are trying to get pregnant but I've had the pain befor I got on the pill and now after. I haven't been able to find anything on the web about it.
|

replied September 8th, 2012
Community Volunteer
It sounds like your cervix getting bumped/bruised during thrusting. Your cervix is low in your vagina around your period. It also does not come down quite as low when you are on the pill.

Best of luck TTC!
|

replied September 9th, 2012
In our case, I'd just write down my period schedule, and try not to have vaginal sex really close to my period. Or, if I do, make sure not to thrust as far as in other days. Patience is virtue.

My hunch is the pain is related to hormonal balance. Menstruation itself already triggers quite strong uterine contraction, and having orgasm may double that contraction thus doubling the pain. The orgasm itself triggers the production of oxytocin hormone that further triggers uterine contraction commonly released during labor. Maybe certain sex positions can bring up more stimulation for the orgasm, which in turn releases more oxytocin.

It's good to know that the pills alleviate the pain. Maybe the pills regulate the hormones that play in causing uterine contraction.
|

replied September 9th, 2012
Community Volunteer
I think you will find that your problems are caused by penetration, not an orgasm. Orgasms can be a great way to deal with cramps, and it is a lot of fun.
|

replied September 11th, 2012
UTI
One of the most common reasons women experience abdominal pain after sex is that they have a urinary tract infection and did not realize it. See a doctor!

This does not apply to long term issues with this pain (i.e. if you have this pain every time after sex for years). But, if you've experienced this once or twice, or even for a few months, you might have a UTI and should see a doctor to be put on antibiotics.
|

replied December 15th, 2012
pain during sex
i have lately experience pain during sex, i have been with my boyfriend for a year +, this pain has never occured before untill a month or so ago. i thought it was just before my period was coming but it has become a more fequent thing. i dont know if its because he is bigger than my past boyfriends but then why does it hurt now. the pain normally comes on when we are doing dogdy. it feels like his penis is about to burst through my stomach .. any ideas ?
|

replied December 15th, 2012
pain during sex
i have lately experience pain during sex, i have been with my boyfriend for a year +, this pain has never occured before untill a month or so ago. i thought it was just before my period was coming but it has become a more fequent thing. i dont know if its because he is bigger than my past boyfriends but then why does it hurt now. the pain normally comes on when we are doing dogdy. it feels like his penis is about to burst through my stomach .. any ideas ?
|

replied June 12th, 2014
I dont know whats wrong but am having some serious cramps after sex with my bf even when I dont and it last for about 15 mins or more.
|

replied June 13th, 2014
Community Volunteer
Do you get these cramps when you just masturbate to orgasm? If not, it is likely that he is bumping into your cervix.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
User Profile
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur