Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Electric Shocks In the Head

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
This probably sounds like the nuttiest thing you have ever heard. When I am getting off to sleep, I suddenly get what can only be described as an electric shock in my head. This can wake me up, shock me (with fright) and can cause a flash of light in my eyes. This has been going on for a few years now, but i've only just stumbled across this web site. I also suffer from ice pick headaches, though this is self diagnosed and i've only had them a few times in the last couple of weeks.
Is anyone out there as strange as me???? Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper headache
|

replied June 16th, 2008
My boyfriend just started getting "ice pick" headaches the other day. Once we figured out what it was, we gave him one 24-hour Claritin-D and the headaches stopped immediately. He'd had them on and off for two days... it's now been a week since he took the allergy pill and he hasn't had one since.

We started using decongestant allergy meds on his migraines after a friend of mine told me they worked for him. Now whenever he starts to get a migraine, he takes an allergy pill and it stops the headache.

If you decide to try it, remember to get an allergy pill WITH a decongestant... the regular allergy pill isn't enough. So get Claritin-D from the pharmacist, not regular Claritin from the shelf. Target also offers a Target brand generic, but you need to ask the Target pharmacist for the decongestant allergy pill... don't just pick up the box on the shelf.

(I'm posting this on multiple forums at my boyfriend's request... the headaches freaked him out and he wants to share what helped him in case it helps other people.)
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Anand J. Singh