Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

Pressure under right rib

Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...
Hi, I have been experiencing extreme pressure under the right side of my ribs. There is no pain it is just extremely uncomfortable. It first happened about 3 or 4 months ago and i thought it was just my chub getting stuck under my ribs (as dumb as that sounds) but in the last week it has gotten alot worse. I also get very bloated after I eat. If anyone has any information that would be great.

Thank You! Very Happy
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper brianna87
|

replied March 13th, 2008
Sounds like the beginning stages of biliary colic. I used to get a lot of pressure under my right rib, not pain after eating but especially at night. I would be extremely bloated as well. I would go months without anything like that happening again, until it became more and more frequent and then became VERY painful. I ended up going to the ER where they diagnosed me with biliary colic (gall stones) I refused the surgery that time and they told me if I came back with so much as a fever I would have emergency surgery. Well 6 months later, I had very ill and unable to eat for 2 weeks without getting very ill (sharp stabbing pains under my right rib that put me in so much pain all I could do was lay there and cry.) I went to the hospital, I was in so much pain I was sobbing and trying to tell them I already knew what was wrong it was my gall bladder. They did an ultra sound and blood tests, sure enough my white blood cell count was through the roof as the doctor described it, I was dehydrated, had an infection in my gall bladder from my common bile duct being blocked. They kept me in the hospital and gave me morphine for my pain ( I think that was a little overkill because my brain seemed to be tingling after they gave me it and I was loopy.) They pumped me full of a grand total of 10 bags of fluids and the next morning at 6am I went into surgery. I am not sure what time I came out of surgery but I went home that same day at about 7pm.
|

replied March 14th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Sure sounds like Gallbladder to me. Stones it may be also. Either way you have to have it looked into. This is something that should not be looked over and think it will go away. Although not an emergancy issue, it sure can give you a heck of alot of discomfort and pain. Now go get it taken care of.
|

replied March 6th, 2014
Pressure under right rib
I had the pressure under right rib,my Doctor sent me for a scan,it came back I had 3 stone or polyps,I was sent to surgeon who said he could not make out which it is ,but he saw only 1 ,so he said he could take my gallbladder out,but he is not 100% sure that is what is causing the pressure ,my parents,grandparents and aunts and uncles all died of cancer,breast,colon,stomach,throat,so I know I have to keep a watch and good diet and exercise ,should I have the surgery?
|