Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

orgasms during sleep

Must Read
We burp, belch and fart an average of 12 times a day. But why do we have gas? And what is intestinal gas?...the basics here....
Intestinal gas forms from two main sources - swallowed air and bacteria in the intestine. Plus, learn which factors to avoid to decrease the likelihood of gas....
How much gas is normal? Usually symptoms of gas and flatulence are more bothersome than serious. But learn when you should seek help for excessive gas here....
My girlfriend seems to have almost constant orgasms most nights while she is asleep. These are not a result of masturbation and strangely enough not a result of a wet dream. She has no recollection of these orgasms and didn't even know she had the ability to do this. If i wake her, she will tell me very normal, non sexual, dreams that she was having. She seems to breath quick and heavy for about 10-25 minutes and then shakes very fast and uncontrollably for a few seconds, basically a orgasm without sound and then go back to sleep, and then it normally starts over. She will, rarely, use her hand but generally its all with her mind. This is a problem we would both like to fix as it takes away from the closeness of our sleeping. We think maybe if she could get into a deeper sleep maybe she wouldn't do it but we'd like to stay away from sleeping medicines. She does not know how long shes been doin it, she thinks just since we met since no other boyfriend has mentioned it but we're just not sure. You might think i would enjoy this but it keeps me up and really separates us as we sleep and it actually kinda scares her. We have a very good and active sex life and are very attracted to each other but we are both curious and would like this to stop. Any comments?? Advice?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Georgia59
|

User Profile
replied February 29th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I'm not convinced these are orgasms... are you sure it couldn't be some sort of sleeping disorder? Like sleep apnea or some other breathing disturbance?

Since she can't recall sex dreams, she doesn't remember orgasms?, and it happens so often, it just doesn't seem likely that they're orgasms. I mean, if she woke up and her vulva was swollen or something, then maybe I guess.

But anytime I've had a sex dream (and orgasm in my sleep) I definitely remember it.
|

Hey, thanks, that's what she thinks too but they seem to "build up" just like a real one and she seems to kinda roll around while it goin on so it seems like it feel good to her. I'm think i'm pretty positive that's what they are, mostly by the way her breathing gets faster and faster until it happens and then slows down for a few minutes. Its weird to me too, i've always remembered any i've had too.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
People with sleep apnea have weird breathing patterns too, that's what it is.

Any time I've ever had an orgasm in my sleep, I both remembered the dream and I felt it (and still felt it when I woke up).
|

we are certainly considering this. i've heard of irregular sleeping patterns with sleep apnea but the shaking part really throws me off, i've yet to hear of that being a part of it. We are considering seeing someone but not sure who to see yet plus she's a little embarrassed about the whole thing so...
|

Especially eHealthy
Yeah, I'd get her to a sleeping disorders clinic and have them do a night-time study on her. This doesn't seem normal and though they could be orgasms, the fact that she doesn't remember them makes me think no.
|

it makes me think no too but "walks like a duck, quacks like a duck ya know"... i guess if you were there you might think yes, it definitely seems like one to me although i would love for it not to be.. i'm still quite sure that it is... i guess we are goin to look into it soon...
|

replied March 5th, 2008
Experienced User
oh cool i didnt know that it was normal to orgasm in your sleep. I thought I was weird. lol thanks!
|

replied March 5th, 2008
ha.. yeah but you probably are at least aware you are doing it? or at least wake up when it happens? or did somebody tell you that it happens?
|

replied March 5th, 2008
Experienced User
Yea I know when I do it. And I wake up. I was unsure that it was ACTUALLY an orgasm till now. I thought I was just "dreaming" one. I dunno. But I actually feel the "after gasm". If your gf was orgasming she would feel that comfy/happy/sleepy/fulfilled feeling when she woke up.
|

replied March 5th, 2008
she does.. i can wake her up right after and she feels what she calls "tingly" or "shaky" but she still hasn't actually felt one yet which makes me wonder what it really is.. but it certainly seems like one to me....
|

replied March 5th, 2008
Experienced User
shes never had an orgasm?
|

replied March 5th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
collegegirlie wrote:
shes never had an orgasm?

I think he means she does not feel the sleeping orgasm.
|