Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Hernia only bulges with erection.

I have had one inguinal hernia operation (right side) and am waiting for a consultation about a second (left side). The first was large and obvious but the second has not developed as much. Previous Doctors and Consultants have been unable to confirm whether there is a hernia there or not, although I regularly feel a specific pain over that side just like I experienced with the first hernia. One thing I have noticed recently, however, is that every time I get an erection the hernia seems to poke out much more definitely. This could be a potentially embarrassing point to bring up with the Consultant. Is this a fairly normal sort of thing to happen? I haven't found anything on the web about this occurring with anyone else so am at a dead end. Thanks. Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 28th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I don't think you are at a dead end, you know your body better than anyone else.
Mention this to your doctor, yes it may seem embarrassing but trust me they've heard much more plus that's why they are there to help you and listen to you.

Now I am going to ask you, as I have everyone else who's had a hernia repaired.
Did they put mesh in you?
If you are having another hernia operation research the complications with meshes before allowing them to put a mesh in you.
You can have the best surgeon in the world but it's the mesh that causes the problems.
|

replied February 29th, 2008
Thanks for your reply butterfly. Yeah, I got a mesh for the first one. I was assured that it was the best method of repairing a hernia, but they did mention that in some cases the pain never goes away. It's been a slow recovery. I still get pain on and off quite regularly and I had the op last July. It was a big hernia though. 4 inch scar. The doctor says it seems to have healed up well and can't find any problems. I'm seeing my consultant in about a month about the 2nd op so will tell him about the pain from the first and hope he can advise me. We'll see what happens. Cheers.
|

replied February 29th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Do you know what type of mesh you have? I also have a scar like yours from one of my hernias. I'm going on a few years nd have not recovered. This has been a life changing situation for me. I never thought having a hernia operation would put me in this mess.
Please do your research and feel free to contact me either by posting here or pm me.
I would hate to see anyone suffer the way I am.
|
Quick Reply