Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Sleep Deprived Eeg

Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
Can someone tell me about this. I am to go and have one done.
The lady on the telephone told me that I cant have any stimulants or nothing like that to drink.
She also told me that I have to stay awake the entire night. After that I have to have a brain mri done.
I am scared. I have had a ct scan done and that was perfectly normal, I have also had a normal eeg done and that was normal also. I just dont know what to do or why this is happening to me. Or to any of us here at this web site.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 8th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
What are your symptoms, huni?

~jennifer~
|

replied May 8th, 2004
Experienced User
Sleepdeprived
Hi sami,
being sleep deprived for one day for your eeg, they want to see where your seizure activity is coming from. Which side of your brain probably. The mri is not bad. Just a little noisy. Let me know how you come out. Jamal
|

replied May 8th, 2004
Experienced User
Sleepdeprived
Hi sami,
being sleep deprived for one day for your eeg, they want to see where your seizure activity is coming from. Which side of your brain probably. The mri is not bad. Just a little noisy. Let me know how you come out. Jamal
|

replied May 8th, 2004
Experienced User
Hello Insurancegirl
Hello.
My symptoms are.
Grand mal seizures. I let out a cry or a squiel my flat mate says. Stiffening of the bodywith arms to my sides sometimes arms straight, arms clenched to chest, violent jerking episodes back arching, eyes fluttering and rolling backinto my head. Sometimes I think that I can hear

when this happens I feel like. I am in a black hole a tunnel that I cant get out of I feel trapped with all I see are strikes of lightening. I feel like I am calling out for help but to the onlooker I am not saying a word.
After I feel like all I want to do is sleep. I can respond afterwards I am just a little confused for a few minutes.

Partial complex seizures. And petit mal and pseudo seizures
the neuro says I have those aswell.

Sometimes I can hear. I get weird sensations. And feelings like a smell reminds me of a day years ago and I can imagine it as clear as day; stuff like that. Sometimes for no reason I feel like I am having a sexual experiance. Sometimes I am so afraid for no reason out of the blue. Sometimes I see things in my vision. I dont suffer headaches until after the seizures. I am just really scared.

The doctors say I have epilepsy they just want to find out how many kinds I have incase its a syndrome of epilepsy. And where it is coming from.

I am 21 yrs old and I am scared outta my head. My seizures are getting to last 20minutes.
|

replied May 10th, 2004
Experienced User
Hi sami,
don't worry a sleep deprived eeg is a better form of a test.... I've had them done a couple of times.
It is very hard to stay a wake the entire night.... And the doctor is hoping that by not sleeping, its going to cause you to have a seizure while having the eeg. So that they can see where the seizures are coming from. Because, it is well known that if you do have seizures you do need to get the correct amount of sleep.
During some of the ones I have had they have had me go to sleep so that they can record me during the differnt stages of sleep. Because I have alot of seizures during the night.
A mri is not must differnt than a cat scan, its makes a lot of noise, when i've had them the tech has given me ear plugs.
The test it self took about 45 minutes, and you have to lay as still as possible.
I hope this puts your mind as ease....
Good luck.....
Jill
|

replied May 11th, 2004
Sami, you explain things of what you go through in the way that I feel but can't explain it. In other words I have almost the exact same stuff that happens.

Are you afraid that the video eeg will show nothing then they will just claim that you are faking it? I am scheduled for one in sept. I will be there for 3-5 days...They said hopefully they can get a read out. The hospital told me that if they don't happen to get something than it doesn't necessarily mean that you do not have seizures.

My question is do they take you off the meds for that time also?
|

replied May 11th, 2004
Experienced User
Take You Off the Meds
Midnight,
I have been slept deprived for almost 3 days, they viedo monitor me and also hooked me up to the eeg to my head, lots of wires. Also the decreased my meds so I would have my seizures. This was before brain surgery. One of the test they do to see were the seizure activity was coming from. They already knew it was from the right frontal lobe, I guess they wanted to see how many I would have and so on.
2 years later they are on the left side of the brain, which they told me before I had my surgery, could be possible. But thats the chance I took. My seizures have leesoned. The doc. Wants me to go back to u.C.Davis next month for the same test to exactly were they are on the left side. The eeg showed the activity. Boy what we go thru!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck. Jamal
|

replied May 11th, 2004
Experienced User
Differnt Eeg's....
Midnight,
to answer your question, sometimes they do wean you down on your meds or stop them cold turkey......
I was in the hospital for monitering for possiblilty of doing surgery and had the wires on my head and the video monitoring 24/7. They sleep deprieved me. Then they took some of my meds away which didn't do much. So then they took he rest away cold turkey, which did the trick.
The doc was able to locate where my seizures are coming from.... He even did another test called a spect scan right after I had the grand mal in the hospital.
A spect scan is where they inject a dye in you right after a seizure and it makes the seizure area in the brain glow/light up in a cat scan type picture that is taken then.
If you have any questions just let me know.....I hope I explained this okay.
Jill
|

replied May 11th, 2004
Experienced User
Midnight
No I am not afraid of being called a fake.
I am scared that I will have another bad seizure
i hate how I feel when it happens.
I want this to all be over with. I am just affraid that I will still have no answers. I know that 70% of epileptics have normal eegs and ct scans etc. It seems to me that all of us here in this little forum have a underlying problem as women and that is stress, pms,
i have so much anger inside me. I want to leave my partner but I am so afraid because I also depend on her.
But even when I am away from her I still have these seizures so I know she isnt to blame totally. I just over worked myself. And as women we do over work ourselves. I just have so much anger inside me I want someone to hold me so I can just cry and cry and cry.
|

replied May 12th, 2004
Re: Midnight
sami_1982 wrote:
no I am not afraid of being called a fake.

i am sorry. I did not in any way want to insinuate that I think you are faking it. Sorry, I ment that in a friendly way. What I ment by it is that you said in other threads how they just claim you are faking it. I thought maybe you would be afraid that if they didn't get a readout right away of how they would then react. I totally understand that you are afraid that you won't have an answer yet and yet you know you are still feeling this without knowing what it is or why, and how to cure it. I too seek the answer.
|

replied May 12th, 2004
Experienced User
Hey, sami and midnight....
Dealing with this totally stinks....Espeacilly when you don't get any for sure answers.
It seems i've been doing this forever.... And at times I feel like I have a good grasp of things.... But it changes really quick.
I don't know of a more fusterating feeling that dealing with doctors who don't listen, and who don't take what you say seriously.
I finally had it with my doc one day when he must have told me for about the millionth time that the "book wasn't written about me and my seizures" because there not conrolled and he can't figure them out.
So I told him then go get a new damn book......
Or step back and take a fresh look at what he's dealing with.
Sometimes I think we need to be more out spoken with the docs to take us seriously.
As for feeling depenent on people/partners it does stinks..... Thats the thing I think I hate the most.
I am sooooo in dependent and hate having to have someone take everywhere..... Or watch over me all the time.
I've been married for over 20 years and my husband is wonderful about dealing with this whole thing, but we do have times where we have problems because of it.....
And it does cause alot of stress at times.....Mainly about money, because of the seizures I don't work....
And its not easy raising a family on one income..... And the cost of the docs, the meds and so on.
Sami, I hope your test go well...
Keep your chin up!!!! And take one day at a time.
Jill
|

replied August 26th, 2009
help! i have a bout of non stop yawning, nausea and severe fatigue and have to sit down. vision goes double and blurred and I fall asleep and come round and go again and so on for an hour or will go freezing cold and feel awful and cannot stay awake and it lasts up to 3 hours. I sleep loads at night and cannot get going until after lunch and stay on the sofa feeling like lead, headache and ache and flu like all over and paracetamols seem to help the best. Gp offered anti depressants..im not depressed but can go elated or tearful when i have a funny turn, but the fatigue etc is my warning..could it be epileps? i have no life, not at all. lucky to get 4 productive hrs and have periods of 1-2 wks sofa ridden in and out of sleep all day and then a high pitched noise following a severe sleep attack where i am almost paralysed marks the end of it and i am awake and normal but back to the sleep attack episodes each day..anyone got any ideas what is going on, it started 6 yrs ago.
|

replied September 10th, 2009
i had a sleep deprived eeg which confirmed i had epilepsy which is triggered by lack of sleep but they never told me the proper name for it
the sleep deprived eeg isnt to bad i just fell asleep in mine
but the nurses who did mine said that was normal to fall asleep
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Andre V Strizhak
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov